Awoo.

Duke Nukem Forever

Patticus

Now now lads. Iron Sights are useful......in a game that is trying to synthesise reality. The only reason games like Modern Warefare even had Iron Sights was because that's what real soldiers do, and that's what Infinity Ward (R.I.P) were trying to replicate. Sure it doesn't make any kind of sense that you can aim perfectly well with the gun at your hip, but is Duke Fucking Nukem a realistic shooter?

Fuck no, its an outlandish and fun-looking game. It doesn't need Iron Sights because there are crosshairs.

I mean even in games like CoD4: Modern Warefare, I enjoyed poppin' on Steady Aim and hip-spraying the shit out of people with an MP5 (and watching the ensueing RAEG). Why did I enjoy it? Because it was fun. And that's what matters, the fun factor, Iron Sights =/= Fun game.

• Thumbs Up 1

duke_balls_of_steel_edition.jpg

Duke Nukem Forever getting Balls of Steel Edition

An image of the as-of-yet-unannounced Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition has miraculously materialised on the web today for your viewing pleasure.

In addition to including a copy of the hotly anticipated shooter, the Balls of Steel Edition chucks in a wealth of extra goodies, including but not limited to art cards, a hardback art book, a comic book, pair of dice, plus a swanky statue-like figure of the Duke himself.

Duke Nukem Forever will be landing on store shelves across the US to "kick ass and chew bubble-gum" on May 3. A European release will follow on May 6.

GIVE IT TO ME.

GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like an awesome collection of merchandise for hardcore Duke Nukem fans. It'll no doubt set you back between £120-£130 though.

Damn you Gearbox. DAMN YOU!!!!

Also, the official Duke Nukem Strip Club.

Mario, Luigi and Yoshi trek across ice and snow to stop the shelled ones' schemes. But Bowser's slick; in one last trick, he takes the dearest thing of all. Now Tornado is Missing!!

Edited by Tornado

IGN: "This game does not have iron sights, therefore it sucks."

However, many gamers wouldn't have it any other way, including me. From the DNF thread on the Sonic Retro forums:

So we might actually have a good game?

Either GOTY 2011 or Shooter GOTY 2011. Fuck the next Call of Duty.

duke_balls_of_steel_edition.jpg

Duke Nukem Forever getting Balls of Steel Edition

GIVE IT TO ME.

GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

NOW YOU CAN HAVE BALLS OF STEEL!

*sigh*Oh Gearbox do I have to post this again

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I'm not one to buy Special Edition packs....BUT IT'S DUKE NUKEM (and I'm a massive Duke fan) I FUCKING WANT THAT, Whenever GAME or GAMESTATION puts up pre-orders for this I'm upgrading my pre-order to this instead :D :D :D Thanks for posting Carbo :D looks like I'm saving up alot for this game now :D

Given the state of collectors editions these days.... LBP 2, Dead Space 2 and a few others, I wonder if this will see the light of day outside of America?

So I watched the IGN video, the minute he mentioned Call of Duty and lack of iron sights I turned my youtube tab off straight away *sigh* and I'll be honest I don't even use my iron sights (unless I'm sniping off course) in Call of Duty half the time cause I love shooting at the hip due to the way I play Doom,Halo and Duke Nukem 3D =/ It's just cheap method of getting long shot kills which cuts abit of you surroardings when on a online map =/....at least this video made me feel better :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PwUHGjJzU

Sooo.....muchh...AWESSOMMEEE!!! *drools*..... I'm so getting rid of my Call of crap games for this =D

Given the state of collectors editions these days.... LBP 2, Dead Space 2 and a few others, I wonder if this will see the light of day outside of America?

Ehh true but given the state of FPS collectors editions like Call of Dutys, Halo and battlefield I'm going to expect to come over to europe but if not I will go mad :P

For now the Collectors Ed is only confirmed to be a GameStop and Amazon exclusive in America limited to 2000 copies, so if you're worried that it wont be produced here, there's always the latter option.

To anyone not in the know, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project has been 400 MP all week and will probably end after Sunday, good deal for anyone looking to get their Duke fix while waiting for DNF!!!

Also I hope they sell that Duke comic book seperately, cos that's all I want out that collection :P

UK retailer ShopTo stocking the Balls of Steel edition

PS3

Xbox 360

PC

Just had an e-mail from them with the below ad:

dukenukemforevershopto.png

The fine print there says that the price hasn't been secured yet, so the £89.84 price appears to be a placeholder, but if it drops they say they'll charge the lower price. They don't say anything about what will happen if it rises though, so just take this as a placeholder price for now. Special editions this big normally get priced at £120+.

Just had an e-mail from them with the below ad:

dukenukemforevershopto.png

The fine print there says that the price hasn't been secured yet, so the £89.84 price appears to be a placeholder, but if it drops they say they'll charge the lower price. They don't say anything about what will happen if it rises though, so just take this as a placeholder price for now. Special editions this big normally get priced at £120+.

Hmmmmm

£90 is a lot, normally they don't go into the £100 mark unless you get something very large with it, or something that is electronic. Remember Aliens Vs Predator Hunter Edition had a facehugger and it was under £60.

What is shop2 like for cancelling orders? Can you do it a few days before dispatch?

Hmmmmm

£90 is a lot, normally they don't go into the £100 mark unless you get something very large with it, or something that is electronic. Remember Aliens Vs Predator Hunter Edition had a facehugger and it was under £60.

What is shop2 like for cancelling orders? Can you do it a few days before dispatch?

Here's their pre-ordering info page:

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=info&topic=po-terms

Just had a look through it and it says they charge and deliver as soon as they get the stock in, which can sometimes be a week in advance. No wonder I've seen people in various forums say they get their games from them 2-3 days early sometimes. Regarding cancelling, it says you can cancel anytime before they charge you.

Thanks for the info.

I think I might give it a miss, just had a small flutter (along with a one T-bird) on some STCs and I've just remembered that Super Sonic statue has been charged... so it might be an idea to curve some of the spending.

But it is quite a badass thing.... although I have a nasty feeling that the quality of the bust might not be what everyone is expecting.... if anyone wants to buy me one... lol... but I'd rather have some STC original art.

Edited by Hogfather

Now thats a tempting offer.

If it goes to game or gamestation, my bonus points might finally get a use.

Edit: Oh my!

Looks like Play.com have entered the fray.

PC Version is £50

PS3/360 is £70!

I wonder if it's worth pre-ordering at Zavvi just in case these are all placeholders?

Edit 2:

The Hut has the PC version for £45!

Check out the Huts CONSOLES price £60.

Edited by Hogfather

Forgot to check TheHut, but they're under the same group as Zavvi, so it's no surprise they're stocking it. Just checked around and the rest of their group is selling it for the same price, too.

ASDA:

http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/elysium.search?search=duke+nukem+balls+of+steel&searchFilters=

Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuyentertainment.co.uk/elysium.search?search=duke+nukem+balls+of+steel

WH Smith:

http://www.whsmithentertainment.co.uk/elysium.search?search=duke+nukem+balls+of+steel&searchFilters=

Woolworths:

http://www.woolworthsentertainment.co.uk/elysium.search?search=duke+nukem+balls+of+steel&searchFilters=

SendIt:

http://www.sendit.com/elysium.search?search=duke+nukem+balls+of+steel

No doubt GAME and Gamestation will also get it if TheHut group's got it. They'll probably charge full whack though.

If I may add to the iron sights commentary, there are two traditional kinds of first person shooters in my eyes. The first is war shooters, which have a focus on strategy (what would be the best weapon for this situation?), opportunity (should I shoot now or risk having my face blown off?) and resource management (should I switch to that weapon or might I need this it later?) The campaigns are generally involve more scripted events and focus on realistic movement patterns. That would be your Halo, your Call of Duty- even Crysis. And then there are arena shooters, where you carry twenty times your weight in guns and still have superhuman speed and an amazing resistance to recoil- a "hammerspace" oriented form of inventory management, if you will. They can be linear (though not necessarily) but are generally far more open to allow more and larger enemies. They're more about crushing large hordes of enemies as opposed to systematically eliminated a small arrangement. That would be your Half-Life, Doom, Serious Sam, and of course, Duke Nukem. In these, a shotgun is indifferent to whether you try to use it as a close-ranged weapon or a sniper rifle. That alone is evidence enough that iron sights are as irrelevant to Duke Nukem as that article.

• Thumbs Up 1

My opinion on the iron sights...

It's a big fucking monster with 3 tits! Point big gun at it and yell come get some!!!! If it dies proceed to the next evil boss! If you die yell I'LL GET YOU BACK EVIL BOSS! At the top of lungs!

And if game/gamestation get it... Hmmm about £70? Wanna see tescos price before I decide. Although it looks like there will be so many you could wait until after the initial release.

Well it is about friggin' time... Duke Nukem Forever has taken forever to make. It's great that it's not in "development hell" anymore. My friend Mike may get this game through GameFly at some point in the future. I'll have to try it sometime.