Awoo.

Duke Nukem Forever

Patticus

I probably put that wrong. I meant to say that I was expecting more updates on the project since it's revival. For them to just flat-out release it with hardly any info just seems a little strange to me.

We have got what 5/4 months till the release of the game so they got alot of time during these months to give us more infomation about the game, release more concept art and release the demo sometime soon.

Edit: Boxart is fucking awesome

dnfxbox360.jpg

Edited by Shaddix Croft

I've never played a Duke Nukem game in my life, but I'd love to get this on principle of it being Duke Nukem Forever. It's a piece of history along with looking like a pretty damn fine game.

I've never played a Duke Nukem game before either, but I'm really impressed by this game, so I might just pick this up.

Damn! Even if this game isn't all that good, I think an awful lot of people are going to buy it just for the absurd notion of it actually existing after getting delayed over a decade, cancelled twice, reworked a bazillion times with different engines, and thrown back and forth between brands like a hot potato.

Hell, it's the B-Movie of shooter games, it might be good BECAUSE it's bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shigeru Miyamoto once said, "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

Ladies, gentlemen...prepare for the greatest game in the history of gaming. It's gonna be the greatest game of all time. OF ALL TIME.

• Thumbs Up 4

"Hell, I'd still hit it!"

Yeah, I think Gearbox is doing just fine with the humor XD.

To my knowledge, 3D Realms finished most of the game, but Gearbox is adding the polish that'll send it from beta to gold.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'm wondering if it's worth buying the Borderlands: GotY Edition to play this early (I wouldn't mind getting into Borderlands again anyway since I only played a little of it on a rental). Anyone know exactly how much earlier the demo will hit compared to the public one?

Ahh...Flashbacks from 1998, its time to kick ass again.

Seriously awesome fucking trailer, makes me even madder that I don't own a 360. This game is so awesome that it has every single mature rated content in one gameI mean HOLY SHIT.

Ahh...Flashbacks from 1998, its time to kick ass again.

Seriously awesome fucking trailer, makes me even madder that I don't own a 360. This game is so awesome that it has every single mature rated content in one gameI mean HOLY SHIT.

You could always get it for PC (if your specs are any good) or PS3 if you got one so you a least got 2 other options than just a 360 =p and only Duke Nukem could have every single possibly mature rating XD good luck Australia getting this game if they ever get this game XD.

and LOL at that Colin's Duke video haven't seen the original Colin's Bear video in ages oh and Swiss it's worth getting 13 years of worth it right there but if you have a friend who doesn't want the code to Duke's First Access Club for the demo but has the Borderlands GOTY game HUNT HIM/HER DOWN FOR IT so you don't have to shell out 30 quid for a game, lucky enough that happened to me =p.

You could always get it for PC (if your specs are any good) or PS3 if you got one so you a least got 2 other options than just a 360 =p and only Duke Nukem could have every single possibly mature rating XD good luck Australia getting this game if they ever get this game XD.

• 3 weeks later...
The reason almost every shooter now uses ironsights is because it genuinely helps line up a good shot.
You know what else helps line up a good shot? Not giving every gun the approximate accuracy of a scattergun and forcing players to compensate for it. What these guys fail to realize is that the only reason ironsights even exist is because the universally shit accuracy necessitates it, which is a problem best solved by aiming at something, squeezing the trigger and expecting the shot to go more or less exactly where you're aiming. A completely redundant "aim mode" shouldn't be necessary to accomplish that. It's the equivalent of not being able to throw a decent punch in a fighting game unless you're not already holding another specific button beforehand.

Which is funny because I actually know at least one fighting game out there that's actually done that before.

Edited by Blacklightning

My sentiments exactly. I will gladly trade "realism" for the lack of need for iron sights just to get a good shot, every time. The only reason one would require sights would be if they're using a sniper rifle or a similar weapon. That's it. Aim and shoot, it works, as long as the guns don't have shit accuracy.

To get myself up to speed, I read the mentioned article in full. I can sum it up like this:

I am really fucking boring and a complete tool.

By the way, I'm boring. Yes, my new shed is coming along quite nicely.

Particularly as someone who looks at the modern state of the FPS genre and can only see the same game resold ten times a year, this is a day one purchase for me.

Let me look at some choice quotes:

And as a reminder of how dated shooting scenes like this are, when I used zoom to target an alien that came to a brief pause above me, no ironsights appeared whatsoever. The camera just zoomed in a little. How useful is that?

I dunno. Can you still hit stuff without it? I mean, is the game intentionally sabotaged in regards to aiming unless you do a crazy zoom?

The reason almost every shooter now uses ironsights is because it genuinely helps line up a good shot.

The reason almost every shooter now uses iron sights is because they are all riding Modern Warfare's dick. And that is irrelevant of if the game actually benefits from doing so. You know what I don't want to do in a game where I'm running around shooting aliens and stuff as fast as I can? Go prone and line up headshots.

That's a perfect example of a strange exclusion of post-1997 innovations.

IGN's idea of a dated game that doesn't follow "post-1997 innovations":

pic_so_ov_01.jpg

Big set pieces, when done correctly, inspire big emotions and it's become pretty clear gamers enjoy these giant narrative spikes.

And then never play the single-player game again.

I'm not suggesting Gearbox shoehorn Duke Nukem into the Call of Duty formula

Really now? I'd like a justification for the need to have iron sights, then.

But the universe of Duke Nukem lends itself quite well to major set pieces

Yes. Player-controlled set pieces. In Duke Nukem 3D, it was me that blew up that hotel building and uncovered the level exit. It was me that shot a missile into the arcade and blew apart a secret entrance. It wasn't a case of "I walk here, and suddenly stuff happens in game."

A gamer that has never picked up a Duke game prior to Duke Nukem Forever may be bewildered.

I fear for the industry if a modern gamer can't understand "Shoot the things that are shooting at you."

could we see a healthier dose of innovation creep into Duke Nukem Forever there?

Already touched on this, but "riding Modern Warfare's dick" does not equal innovation. I'd say that using a health system with more effort required than "stand over there for 30 seconds" is far better than anything any game since Modern Warfare has done.

Now, all that being said, he does have a point about the humour aspect of the game. In fact, that was always my biggest worry about the game. Most big-name games are certainly uppity and pretentious enough today that there could be boatloads of humour to get out of riffing on them instead of action movies, but I'm worried that 3D Realms may not have made this jump.

Mario, Luigi and Yoshi trek across ice and snow to stop the shelled ones' schemes. But Bowser's slick; in one last trick, he takes the dearest thing of all. Now Tornado is Missing!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Tornado wins a thousand internets. Especially for the Half-Life 2 screen. I enjoy Valve's games far, far more than any CoD game or any game of its ilk.

As Velotix said, the writer of that article it an utter tool.

• Thumbs Up 1