Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

I just finished the game, overall I liked the general look and feel of the game except for Planet Wisp which can go in a hole and die for all I care (gameplay-wise.) There were some points where I was confused as to where to go and why I kept falling to my doom (Sonic 06 level, go figure.) Also, some of these bosses, I don't know if I'm just dumb or what but some it was taking me up to five minutes before I figured out what I was supposed to actually do, I know the Omochao drops audible hints but that on my 5.1 was drowned out by the rest of the game's audio. Speaking of bosses...

Why is the god damned final boss easier to defeat than the pre-final? For god's sake it took me 8 tries to knock down that damn Egg Dragon (see my earlier statement about not knowing what to do.) Time Eater? One try and I didn't even have to mash buttons.

There are faults with the game, but what game doesn't have at least one? At least they weren't the kind that kill any kind of enjoyment/replay value.

EDIT: Ha ha ha....delayed edit.

Edited by voice

Am I the only who adored both Classic and Modern Planet Wisp?

mellow.png

This is like Metropolis Zone all over again, the Final full level of the game that most people hate except for me who loves it. Metropolis Zone and Planet Wisp are both my favorite levels in Sonic 2 and Generations BTW.

Edited by Derpy Hooves
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked both Planet Wisp acts

EDIT: infact I did love them, they were clever and well thought out.

Don't get me started on it's looks

Edited by 06 Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finished the story mode and wasn't particularly looking forward to y Planet Wisp, but I did quite enjoy it actually.

I'm currently 1 mission away from completing all of Chemical Plant - the modern ring one, where you've to collect the 100 rings has stumped me !

Just got to the final boss today, and I can't beat it (note: I actually know how to damage it). The controls are just so godawful terrible and his moments of vulnerability are so infrequent it feels more like a game of chance than an actual boss. So fuck that.

Righty-o then, my impressions.

I'll say I'm a little disappointed in this game, the classic era was a chore to play through. Every level was insanely boring and I practically had to force myself through it. The Death Egg Robot was rather fun and interesting, but his battle ended way to soon. Metal Sonic was predictable and boring.

The Dreamcast Era, at first, was just as bad as the classic era. Speed Highway (for both Sonics) was just so damn dull. I wanted an At Dawn section in the actual level, because that was the only part I liked about the original Speed Highway, but I can't have that apparently. City Escape on the other hand was pretty fun. The Street-boarding section in Modern Sonic controlled rather flawlessly in my opinion. The level was linear in the sense that there wasn't many alternate paths, but I appreciate the open 3D environments it placed you in, and I had a fun time romping around them. I would've loved for that to go on longer, but the truck jumped in and ruined my day. Seaside Hill was pretty fun for both Sonics too. Modern Seaside Hill felt like it had a metric ass load of paths for me to go through. Shadow was way too easy, which is a shame, because I actually had fun with him. Perfect Chaos was also fun, but he ended kind of abruptly, and was more of a level than an actual boss.

The Modern Era had some fun Modern Sonic Levels, though I was severely disappointed that Crisis City didn't open up with a boarding segment like the original. Boarding in City Escape was so much fun, I would've loved to see what they could've done with this level. Crisis City could afford to be a little less homing attack spammy too. I loved Planet Wisp as Modern Sonic, mostly because it didn't throw me into the industrial part of the level 12 seconds into it like the original. Planet Wisp is definitely one of the most memorable stages for Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic's Crisis City was a little too blocky when it comes to level design, though I enjoyed Rooftop Run quite a bit. Classic Planet Wisp was fucking terrible. I hated the Spike Wisp in Sonic Colors, so what could be better than having the entire act dedicated to it. Goddammit the Spike Wisp gimmicks were terrible, and it kept dragging on and on and on and on. I finally finished the act at 13 minutes after dealing with the Spike Wisp's awful controls for about 12 of those 13 minutes. Silver was rather boring, his attacks were predictable and easy to dodge. The Egg Dragoon is definitely the strongest of the bosses. I had so much fun with him, and he felt like an actual boss. They could've had a more proper transition from running to sky-diving though. It kind of irked me when *flash of light oh hey you're sky diving now* *flash of light, now you're back to running!*

Right now I'm doing some missions, just polished off Modern Sonic's Green Hill Missions. They're like Sonic Colors' acts 3-6, which are definitely better suited for optional levels. Some of them are fun, others not so much.

Right now I'd give the game a 7/10. Lot's of ups and downs, but enjoyable overall.

mellow.png

This is like Metropolis Zone all over again, the Final full level of the game that most people hate except for me who loves it. Metropolis Zone and Planet Wisp are both my favorite levels in Sonic 2 and Generations BTW.

I love Classic Planet Wisp, but Modern just wasn't what I was expecting and I think there were some missed opportunities that keep it from being all that it could have been.

• Thumbs Up 1

mellow.png

Visually, that stage is amazing. Gameplay wise it's fantastic until you get to the wisp tower thing. That's were it becomes trash. Well that's my opinion. My first run of the stage took 8 mins and I died at least 3 times. 2nd run took 7mins. And when I was forced to push myself because I was racing the doppelganger I barely made 5:30. That tower is a bitch. The forest or jungle or whatever it is was perfect in my eyes. Reminded me of Frog Forest from Heroes. Jumping tree to tree.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, just finished;

Since I'm tired and stupidly angry right now (see elsewhere as to why), I'll be brief;

Last boss sucked. Story was almost nonexistant, which I didn't like. The Shadow boss fight was a bit frustrating in that he could recover endlessly.

Other than that, the rest was good.

Ok I'm one achievment away from from 100%ing the game and I'm pretty sure it's the one where you have to not get hit by the time eater...how do? It's impossible to not get hit and I'm tired of repeating this horrible boss over and over again.

OK, I've pretty much just started (on Chemical Plant) and the audio at the beginning of each act doesn't start playing straight away. It takes up to 'GO!' to start playing. It didn't do this on the demo :( I'm playing the PS3 version. Anyone else have this problem?

OK, I've pretty much just started (on Chemical Plant) and the audio at the beginning of each act doesn't start playing straight away. It takes up to 'GO!' to start playing. It didn't do this on the demo sad.png I'm playing the PS3 version. Anyone else have this problem?

I do too. Maybe that's suppose to surprise the player? I don't know. It's different when you swap songs though. It plays the minute the stage loads.

Heads up everyone! Take on the speed boost challenge in the Modern Sonic missions from GHZ!

Unlock that badboy and boost to your hearts content. Charges may apply, Robotnik doesn't approve this message.

I love Classic Planet Wisp, but Modern just wasn't what I was expecting and I think there were some missed opportunities that keep it from being all that it could have been.

Just opened my heart with "OPEN YOUR HEART". This is officially the best SONIC GAME EVER! (Sorry Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

• Thumbs Up 1

I beat the Vector after recovering from an assorted number of defeats. I'll agree that the final boss in execution was rather underwhelming, borked in control, and just easy and that Modern Planet Wisp could've used some more 3-D at the end and leave it at that(Rocket montage was cool, but awkward to end the stage on) Otherwise the whole thing was gorgeous.

Overall, solid game, I dislike that after gaining all the skills, there aren't any new stages to put them to use in... Sega, can I haz uber hard DLC noa, plz?

I have to say, Modern Planet Wisp was absolutely awesome up to the part where you go through Eggman's contraptions. I didn't like that bit, I would've prefered to see even more of the forest. DAMN YOU, EGGMAN!

Ok I'm one achievment away from from 100%ing the game and I'm pretty sure it's the one where you have to not get hit by the time eater...how do? It's impossible to not get hit and I'm tired of repeating this horrible boss over and over again.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

Tell me about it, I gave up on that after about 10 tries. dry.png

your talking about the musical note one right? @_@

your talking about the musical note one right? @_@

Yes, indeed I am. A combination of bad object placing obscuring the view quite a bit and homing attack seeming to decide when it wanted to become available was my downfall for this mission. I'll probably go back to try to beat it but at the time I was more focused on just finishing the main story. Honestly, that mission was the only point in the game where I almost went

Edited by voice

Vector's 'note passing' mission was easily the worst next to Crisis City Modern's doppleganger race. Those GD platforms always obstruct the camera at the critical moment. It doesn't help that the camera isn't set up well to give you a proper sense of depth (how high/far away is the note from you) Truly pissy. Also: is it just me or is Sonic's homing attack not nearly as sensitive/intuitive as it was in Unleashed?

I've swapped out controllers a couple times but I'm having MAJOR issues with the stomp during the last section of CC. That asshole of a doppelganger breezes on through and you're left trying to negotiate the button lag on the jump and stomp...EXTREMELY pissy.

I finally beat the Time Eater this evening after numerous failed attempts. What a confusing mess of a boss eh? I finally realized that 2D mode was the only sure way to get rings...but I'll tell you, I won't be attempting that boss fight again. In a pretty spectacular game, it's the one thing that felt totally undercooked. The whole 'traveling down a time pipeline' was a nice nod to past special stages, but you have absolutely ZERO sense of depth, momentum or progress throughout the whole thing. I would suggest people swap out the soundtrack too...Star Light Zone works wonders here! Why couldn't they have done something less literal with the TE and just had the Sonics face off against a myriad of past Eggman vehicles...??

Edited by eggomaticwaffles

Vector's 'note passing' mission was easily the worst next to Crisis City Modern's doppleganger race. Those GD platforms always obstruct the camera at the critical moment. It doesn't help that the camera isn't set up well to give you a proper sense of depth (how high/far away is the note from you) Truly pissy. Also: is it just me or is Sonic's homing attack not nearly as sensitive/intuitive as it was in Unleashed?

I've swapped out controllers a couple times but I'm having MAJOR issues with the stomp during the last section of CC. That asshole of a doppelganger breezes on through and you're left trying to negotiate the button lag on the jump and stomp...EXTREMELY pissy.

I finally beat the Time Eater this evening after numerous failed attempts. What a confusing mess of a boss eh? I finally realized that 2D mode was the only sure way to get rings...but I'll tell you, I won't be attempting that boss fight again. In a pretty spectacular game, it's the one thing that felt totally undercooked. The whole 'traveling down a time pipeline' was a nice nod to past special stages, but you have absolutely ZERO sense of depth, momentum or progress throughout the whole thing. I would suggest people swap out the soundtrack too...Star Light Zone works wonders here! Why couldn't they have done something less literal with the TE and just had the Sonics face off against a myriad of past Eggman vehicles...??

Really? I blew through that race. Then again I like CC modern.

Overall Generations is a really great game, love it as much as the classics! (First time I can ever say that about a 3D Sonic!)

One weird thing I noticed was the quality of the pre-rendered cutscene videos. Was it just my copy or was the opening cutscene in particular really compressed/pixelated? They didn't look like that in Unleashed. I guess since the disc has so much content this can be excused and it isn't serious anyway, but I just thought it was weird.

I also just want to say the first section of Modern Planet Wisp was amazing! That luscious green platforming I dare say was better looking than Green Hill! Shame Eggman had to mess up the rest of the stage xD Also I wish there was an option to turn off the Spikes music in Classic Planet Wisp, it always interrupts my favourite part xD

EDIT: I understand people's disappointment in the final boss but why do people think it was difficult? I'm not trying to brag but I beat it on my first try, you just press Y whenever Cream or Shadow tells you to switch and dodge the debris in 2D mode before boosting into the core. It was messed up though how a green lock on reticle appears when you can't even lock on <_<

Edited by ハリネズミ
  • Thumbs Up 1