Item Box

Capsule

Goal Plate

Goal Ring

Ring

Chaos Emeralds

Booster

Cucky/Picky/Flicky/Pecky

My Apologizes for stretching the page, I don't know how to hide them in spoiler tabs here.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

I've ran into several glitches on average runs so far that did suck me out of the experience, but none of them were really game breaking.

Hehe, a good number of those statues were lifted from Smash Bros. XD I think I think I'll just think of them as an homage to past spinoffs rather than lazyness. XDD

The statues mimick official artwork, that of Sonic Channel or other various Game artwork, like Blaze in her Sonic Rush Adventure pose.

Which is something I really like about this game. I've only got all the red rings from the first era, so I don't know if this remains true; but I found the hints to be very well written in that they gave me a clue where to look without outright telling me where to go.

Usually. I'm hunting down the last red ring in Planet Wisp Act 2, and Charmy's hint for me: use a rocket to find a secret path.

Yeah. Might be spending a bit of time looking around on this one.

Could somebody tell me something?: What exactly is the "Perfect Bonus" that you get at the results screen?

I thought it meant completing the level without taking damage but i saw someone on youtube take damage in Planet Wisp Act 2 and still get the bonus at the end. How does it work exactly?

Could somebody tell me something?: What exactly is the "Perfect Bonus" that you get at the results screen?

I thought it meant completing the level without taking damage but i saw someone on youtube take damage in Planet Wisp Act 2 and still get the bonus at the end. How does it work exactly?

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't die. If you complete a stage without dying, your rank bumps up by one. If you took 3 hours to be Planet Wisp, but you didn't die, your rank would start as an E, but then after the perfect bonus (not dying) it would be booted up to a D.

Come to think of it, has anyone gotten an E rank at all in this game? Worst I've ever gotten is a B.

Now I'm really curious if the Sonics do funny expressions at an E rank. To YouTube!!

EDIT: Oh, right. D-rank is the worst in this one.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

My biggest gripe so far is that Modern Sonic can't wall-jump in places without the special arrows. It really makes for several deaths that I could have saved myself from by boosting or HAing into a nearby wall, jumping back and hitting an enemy to get back on track.

When can we expect a strategy guide?

Strategy guide should be out now, in the US at least. Wal-Mart claims to have it in stock, amazon is getting it on the 4th.

134050351.JPG

I usually don't get the guides, but with all the fan service in Generations, I'm picking this one up. Might have some cool art or posters or something. Plus, beats running to YouTube every time I want to snag a red ring.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Alright, SO. I beat Sonic Generations yesterday- all in one sitting, in a well-timed, rare day off from the looming stress of due dates.

My verdict? Well, I can't easily simplify it, so I'll break it down.

To start off on a good note, this is some of the best level design I've seen in the series. Each level really has its own shape, structure and flow, which is really what I loved and found so revolutionary about Sonic to begin with. However, it's still very imperfect on the technical side. On more than one occasion, level entities like boost ramps and barrels flickered out of existence which kinda threw me off. And at one point in Sky Sanctuary, I was walking towards a spring, the camera turned 180 degrees into a wall and caused me to walk off the edge. Neither of these were regular things so they're forgivable. I also had some difficulty with the controls, but Sonic 4's the only other Sonic game I played on a Dual Shock controller so I suppose I can forgive it to an extent; I'm much more used to the 360, Wii and Gamecube controllers for this kind of intricate platforming. This ordinarily doesn't make much of a difference, but the directional notches are a big help in this kind of loose running and platforming. But back to the design itself, I mean, wow. Not only is the design diverse, but it really takes concepts that existed in the series and- get this- it doesn't deviate from them, but ENHANCES them. NOW they fucking get it! City Escape, for instance, takes the classic "snowboarding" scene and adds more dimension by giving alternate paths. Chemical Plant zone adds a more chaotic thrill by involving a meltdown. And my personal favorite example is

in act 1 of Crisis City where you see the goal post coming up, but the fire tornado carries it away, so you spend an extra section of the level chasing it down as the goal post flies through the background. When I first saw that, I laughed hard- it kind of parodies the long-established concept of marking an arbitrary point in a level and saying "it ends here" by making you chase down the end of the level.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's much less of an "earn" though, since there's no additional requirement to getting him apart from beating the game. Which is somewhat annoying, but it makes Super Sonic at his most accessible state yet. For more casual players that just want to "beat the game", having Super Sonic as a reward is very nice.

Also, I noticed that boosting on the ground didn't burn rings any faster. It was doing the boost glide in the air that made them skyrocket down.

Come to think of it, has anyone gotten an E rank at all in this game? Worst I've ever gotten is a B.

Now I'm really curious if the Sonics do funny expressions at an E rank. To YouTube!!

EDIT: Oh, right. D-rank is the worst in this one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just gotta share this:

I was spending half an hour resetting the Cream Assist mission for Modern City Escape. Seemed no matter what I did I couldn't get within the 1:30 requirement. Finally, I just gave up and decided to play through, so I'd at least improve my best time.

There was a -10 second powerup at the spring to the goal. I could've beaten the mission twenty minutes earlier if I'd just played on instead of resetting all the time. Well played, developers. Well played.

EDIT: Smexy Bat: The main level rankings are indeed extremely easy. All the difficulty is reserved for the missions, which are extremely hard but not unfairly hard like back in Sonic Adventure 2.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

My biggest complaint by far is how they handled Super Sonic. He eats rings way too quickly, and when he's boosting, he eats them way, way, WAY too quickly. What's the point of even having super sonic if I can't properly use him without getting punished? I have to get 50 rings. Okay I can live with that. I can't have any other skills. That's pretty stupid, I mean Sonic should be able to go super without it taking up a single skill slot. You burn 1.5 rings per second. Well, that's pretty harsh. You burn about 3 rings per second when boosting! That's just fucking bullshit. What's the point of being successful if your success is always nerfed by the governing system? I earned Super Sonic, just like I did in Colors and 4. So let me use him as I please! Don't tread on me, Sonic Team.

And before you say it would ruin challenges, keep in mind that Sonic is stripped of his extra skills including Super.

/rant

I would have rather had the requirements for unlocking him be difficult, and then have him be game-breakingly powerful. What we got was the polar opposite; it's impossible to beat the basic story (which only scratches the surface of this game's content) without unlocking Super in the process. Sure you can't use him until after the credits roll, but my point is that unlocking Super is now no more than a side-effect of the main game. When you unlock him, you find out that he is arguably not worth having. Now you might say, "Would you rather have no Super at all?" Well, as far as I'm concerned, this stillborn, watered down version of Super Sonic is actually INFERIOR to a normal Sonic with a decent skill set equipped. Plus, maybe they could've used the extra development time to iron out the framerate dips which, to varying degrees, find their way into every Modern level.

So would I personally. I was just saying that casual players would enjoy the sensation of Super Sonic. This is the weakest Super Sonic has been. Rings don't even come all that regularly in Generations compared to, say, Colours. It's a bit of a shame that the ability is so short lived.

And what I meant by boosting on the ground was literally, boosting while you were "running" and not jumping or falling. When you're boosting on the ground, it's basically just an enhanced regular boost that lasts forever. It doesn't reduce your ring count. It's when you boost while in the air and do the boost glide your rings plummet.

I don't get how the skill shop works...

You get "Purchase Points" to use at the shop based on your score in the stage. Say I got 5400 points in a stage, that'd convert to 540 "Purchase Points". It will always be the score you get, minus one zero. You unlock things in the shop by completing tasks in the game, such as beating the mission with the Aqua Barrier in Chemical Plant unlocks the Aqua Barrier in the Skills Shop. You also get skills that aren't added to the shop by completing certain things in the game, such as getting all the Red Rings in a stage unlocks a skill or beating Time Eater unlocks Super Sonic (which is an equipable skill).

Also, I like Super Sonic in this game. He has his helpfulness, especially Modern who can use his fly ability to skip whole sections of stages. It's made to help through tough parts as opposed as used to be a constant, like, "Is this a good time to use Super Sonic?"

Edited by Time Eater

When I tried to boost on the ground in GHZ, he just flew automatically

Oh boy.

I hope Super Sonic isn't as much of a nuisance as he sounds at the moment, even though in every video I've seen of him it makes me think regular Sonic is much more worth playing with Skills equipped. Please, please be wrong!

What's this I've heard about a "statue" room? How do you unlock it?

EDIT - nevermind. figured it out.

Edited by Razorsaw