Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

Anyone else think the orginal versions for Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run are better? Well Rooftop Run in Gen is technically better, but the layout in Unleashed was much smoother I found.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 2

Anyone else think the orginal versions for Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run are better? Well Rooftop Run in Gen is technically better, but the layout in Unleashed was much smoother I found.

Rooftop Run was a lot more linear, thats why.

I wasn't a big fan of the old PW for a number of reasons, but the new one is fantastic. You get to explore the forests and the factory, and the design in general is a load of fun. It's actually a really fitting final stage. Rooftop Run though... yeah, I'll agree with you on that. The old one was without a shadow of a doubt the best stage in Unleashed. So fast, so exciting and epic. The new one feels small and dead almost. I was just talking -Mark- about this, and he said it felt tame. That's a good way of putting it. After GHZ, it's probably the worst stage in the game.

Speaking of Green Hill, wow does it ever suck as a representation of the game. Way too easy, way too basic. The rest of the levels are leaps and bounds ahead of it. I literally just use it as a testing ground for new skills.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wasn't a big fan of the old PW for a number of reasons, but the new one is fantastic. You get to explore the forests and the factory, and the design in general is a load of fun. It's actually a really fitting final stage. Rooftop Run though... yeah, I'll agree with you on that. The old one was without a shadow of a doubt the best stage in Unleashed. So fast, so exciting and epic. The new one feels small and dead almost. I was just talking -Mark- about this, and he said it felt tame. That's a good way of putting it. After GHZ, it's probably the worst stage in the game.

Speaking of Green Hill, wow does it ever suck as a representation of the game. Way too easy, way too basic. The rest of the levels are leaps and bounds ahead of it. I literally just use it as a testing ground for new skills.

Gah! I wish I had more positive rep! I couldn't agree more. Although, I thought RR was okay. Not great, but okay.

Did anyone else fucking love the streetboarding in RR challenge? So easy, but one of my favorites.

Got the game, love the game. There's lot of missed potential though. Best thing is the soundtrack no doubt. I can't believe so many of you went and spoiled it for yourselves! Hearing it first hand was amazing. I actually cried when You're My Hero first played.

Got my own typo-riddled and not properly thought out review below if'n you're interested.

Gameplay- 8/10

This is one place where the game really shines. Modern Sonic's gameplay really surprised me, with the stages not only featuring their own gimmicks at last but actual 3D gameplay! Almost everything after Green Hill really amazed me. Paths are split in so many ways, some being simple shortcuts and others taking you to different routes entirely. It's actually fun to explore the world for a change while navigating 3D obstacle courses. The 2D sections, which thankfully there are thankfully much fewer in number than in both Colours and Unleashed, have also received an overhaul so you're not just jumping an boring blocks all the time. There's a lot of them, but they're better laid out and there are other things to break up the pace too. The controls are, most importantly, spot on. Sonic is controllable at high speeds, low speeds and even in the air. The only issues are when you have control taken away from you following a ramps, spring, dash panel and when there's so much going on that the game doesn't respond to your inputs at all. Those moments aren't infrequent and get very annoying. On another note, I really don't think the boost is needed any more. It doesn't do anythign interesting and I can't even see why it's necessary for the brutally fast moments.

Classic's gameplay is a real marvel too. It's not exactly like the Classic games- the levels are much blockier, cramped and the physics aren't 1:1, though that does nothing to detract from the feeling that you're playing a real old-school Sonic game. The level designs make a much better Sonic 4 than what S4E1 gives us. They're just short and very safe. Apart from Planet Wisp, none of them really have any grandeur or creative layouts. They're so basic. What I said before about control being taken away from the player is even more of an issue in the Classic gameplay because it genuinely gets in the way of fun this time and you're far more likely to notice it. Sounds like I'm complaining quite a lot here- it's just that there's a lot that's feels like it could be improved to make it even better than it already is.

Now for the genuinely not-so-good stuff. Boss battles. They're good and for the first time in AGES they were fun to play. Well, for five seconds they're fun. After that they're finished. Very short and very easy. Challenges as well aree really nice in number, but they're forgettable. Most of them weren't too great, with the best ones being the co-op ones. I rally can't see myself going back and replaying them though.

Sound- 10/10

I can't fault the brilliant soundtrack of various tracks from Sonic's past. The Modern mixes are really nice because they seems to do something new with the original tracks, very often adding new parts and really taking the tracks to never levels. It's the Classic mixes that stand out the most though. The mixes of real instruments and pop-synths works a fantastic treat everywhere, and it's EXACTLY what the Classic games did. The way they took tracks like Crisis City and City Escape and make them sounds Classic without sacrificing the original feeling was brilliants. The sources they pulled from too... wow. You're My Hero? My favourite Sonic theme tune ever, and it comes from the secondary version of an often ignored game? Well done, sound team.

Graphics- 8/10

Dunno how much I can elaborate on this honestly. The low resolution of the game takes a heavy toll on the otherwise beautiful visuals. There are quite a few moments where the framerate dips (not as frequently or for as long as Unleashed though) too. One thing that really stood out to me though was the paper cut-out back drops. I noticed them quite a few times, especiall in City Escape Classic and Sky Sanctuary Modern. They just look bad.

Presentation- 4/10

This is including everything from the story to the hub world by the way. The hub was pretty awesome. It meshed with the gameplay very nicely and was easy to navigate. It was just a bit boring. I'm one of the guys who really liked the entrance stages in Unleashed and would have rather seen something bigger like them. Scrapping the full on Adventure Fields of SA1, '06 and Unleashed was good idea for gameplay to be honest, I just wish what we got instead wasn't so safe. The way we collected Emeralds too seems really pointless and tacked on. What was the point of defeating bosses to get them, when you basically just have to collect them to progress anyway? Especially since there's only six bosses and one of Emeralds is just handed to you mid game.

Now onto story. What the fuck? There was NOTHING there. There's keeping the plot simple like Colours, and then there's stripping away absolutely everything. The game itself is the story, sure, but more cutscenes and dialogue absolutely would not have gone a miss. I was so excited to finally get all of the other characters back in a main game and they ended up being all kinds of pointless. They amount to showing up for missions and giving a short "I'm free" speech and then showing up in missions. That was really disappointing.

And here's something that I personally found to be even worse. Classic voices. Tails and Eggman had absolutely fine voices. But Sonic? He didn't have a voice. I was so happy when we found out Classic Sonic would be mute, but they literally screwed up all potential that had. It just sort of happened that way and nobody batted an eye lid. So, why was he mute? And why did Classic Tails, Eggman and Metal Sonic even talk? That completely defeated the purpose of Sonic himself being mute. Wasn't impressed by this at all, or by the lack of Classic Amy and Knuckles for no reason. The script itself (what little of it there was) was alright. The self-referential jokes were funny, from Classic Eggman saying nobody calls him Robotnik to Classic Sonic trying to pull off a homing attack. Not as cringe-worthy as Colours, but also absolutely lacking substance. I wonder if this might have anything to do with the voice cast being five times larger (international versions).

Last note on this part- why the FMV cutscenes are so low res is beyond me, but they look horrendous and should never have been allowed to pass.

Lasting Appeal- 7/10

Holy hell is this game short. I know Sonic games are short by nature, but good God the story is over in a couple of hours. And there's only 18 stages, with several unappealing missions on the side. Each Sonic only has one act to run through in each stage, and each act is feels short and is insanely easy. They're definitely replayable, there's just nowhere near enough of them. *slightlyofftopic* This is why Sonic games really benefit from extra characters. They've got the level design down to a tee, now they should bulk it up with extra characters. If you could play as say Tails and Knuckles, the game would be tripled length. Extra paths and different abilities really go a long way.

Overall- 8/10

It's one of the best Sonic games since S3K. I can't argue with that as far as it goes on the fun side of things. The game's length, lack of difficulty and dire presentation really let it down. The level design for Classic Sonic feels safe too, as does much of the rest of the game. It does leave me wanting more. More of the same for Modern and more of the same for Classic.

Blue Blood, you stole my review, man. Come on, it's basically the same exact thing I was thinking, but put into words.. you can read! =v

This game has proven itself as one of the greats. Yes, it needs a much better and elaborated story next time, it needs more character development (as well as them being playable!), and honestly Sega should try giving modern Sonic the Spindash because it's much more fun to charge (and affected by physics, and it's faster at times too).. but honestly, this is the best Sonic game in ages. I'm not sure how anyone could not like what this game has to offer, in some shape or fashion. If not in the gameplay department, then the visuals, and if not that then there is the music.

It's short, but it's got a lot to offer, and it's good enough to keep you coming back for hours and hours of your day. I can see myself coming back to this game for a looong time from now and barely getting tired of it.

Now brb, going back to play more Gens.

Also, here's to hoping on nextgen consoles like the Wii U, we can finally have our Sonic games at 60 FPS with AA and 1080p, just like people can with the PC version of Generations. PC gamers in that case are really getting the bang for their buck, especially since the physical copy of the game itself wasn't much of nothing, and they're getting halfprice.

Edited by Azukara

The original Planet Wisp wasn't so much better but more concise. There is faaaaaaaaar too much arsing around with the Wisps in both Classic and Modern's stages. They end about 2 minutes later than they should.

Modern's was extra insulting since it's the final stage and they end with 2D gameplay and not even any fanfare. You just go up... and up... and up... something cool must happen at the top and then goal ring right?

No. Just goal ring.

Really? You guys don't like Rooftop Run? I found it amazing. 8C My only dislike was that the clock tower would have been way cooler had they not spammed it in the trailers (just like they did in Unleashed FFS 8I ) and that you don't get to destroy the airship at the end.

Having said that I am of course a total Unleashedfag so it was actually one of my most anticipated levels, if not the most.

Edited by JezMM

The original Planet Wisp wasn't so much better but more concise. There is faaaaaaaaar too much arsing around with the Wisps in both Classic and Modern's stages. They end about 2 minutes later than they should.

Not really saying much, but Planet Wisp was indeed my least favorite set of stages in the game... well, at least besides GHZ. Spike Wisp is tedious to use and Rocket Wisp is the definition of a pacebreaker, which made both of the stages a lot less enjoyable than they could have been. If only they focused more on the valley part of the stages rather than the factory area, too; the valley segments were some of the most beautiful parts of Gens, but they were so brief it was almost depressing.

Really? You guys don't like Rooftop Run? I found it amazing. 8C My only dislike was that the clock tower would have been way cooler had they not spammed it in the trailers (just like they did in Unleashed FFS 8I ) and that you don't get to destroy the airship at the end.

I really liked both Rooftop Run stages. Act 1 is the bomb (was very creative with areas and gimmicks), and while Act 2 is basically a glorified layout change to the original RR with some visual improvements, it was much more open and thus more fun to play. A lot harder to speedrun than the original, though.

I've realized it's really hard to speedrun any of the stages in Generations. Just plain hard.

Edited by Azukara

Planet Wisp is just so vast it's scary. There's so many routes everywhere and it's so complex for both Classic and Modern. It's like nothing I've really seen in a Sonic game. The level isn't bad at all (infact, I love it though it is a tad long. Even if you're good it takes at least 5 minutes) but it just seems out of place and quite a large jump in terms of length in comparison to every other level (barring Classic Rooftop Run).

I would've liked to have a bit more 3D in Modern though. Particularly in the green area. But then again, it's a final level. Having this beautiful green valley filled with adorable little creatures as the main central focus of a FINAL LEVEL just seems silly. Whether you like it or not, having it focused on the factory area makes a LOT more sense considering Planet Wisp's placement in the game. It's a lot more dark, a lot more complex, has traps everywhere and having that transition from the green to the factory really adds to the whole corruption element of Planet Wisp, and helps it to stand out as a final level.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not really saying much, but Planet Wisp was indeed my least favorite set of stages in the game... well, at least besides GHZ. Spike Wisp is tedious to use and Rocket Wisp is the definition of a pacebreaker, which made both of the stages a lot less enjoyable than they could have been. If only they focused more on the valley part of the stages rather than the factory area, too; the valley segments were some of the most beautiful parts of Gens, but they were so brief it was almost depressing.

I really liked both Rooftop Run stages. Act 1 is the bomb (was very creative with areas and gimmicks), and while Act 2 is basically a glorified layout change to the original RR with some visual improvements, it was much more open and thus more fun to play. A lot harder to speedrun than the original, though.

I've realized it's really hard to speedrun any of the stages in Generations. Just plain hard.

All of this, especially the last stage. Even though I haven't played Unleashed HD, between the demo, UnWiished, and GHZ (not a very good representation of the game,) it was very boost-to-win type gameplay. This has so much platforming and speed combined it's hard, but very good.

Holy shit. I was just playing Planet Wisp Act 1, and I found something I thought they'd forgotten about. TWO SPRINGS FACING EACH OTHER! I feel like a kid again. *squee*

I remember those from the Genesis games. They were more annoying then (particularly in Carnival Night Zone,) but they weren't so in PW (especially since the first time I played I took a faster path that lacked them,) and when I did see them, I found it a nice little homage to the classics.

I thought both Rooftop Runs were great, lol. Planet Wisp is also fun, but definitely one of the weaker stages for both Sonics imo. The beginning of the Modern one was BEAUTIFUL though.

Strangely, unlike every other Sonic game ever, I don't have a clear favourite level. I'm still leaning towards Speed Highway and Crisis City (mostly modern for both), but most of the stages in this game are really good. Not so keen on the missions though, and the final boss was shit. The alternate routes in this game are insane as well, I'm still finding some after 2 days of playing it a fair bit (when I found some of Modern Speed Highway's alternate paths, it really went up as a great level in my books). Despite this, Modern Crisis City is one of my favourite levels despite being the most linear perhaps, go figure (though that is partially the atmosphere and the amazing violin piece as well).

Also playing Sonic Boom on Modern Speed Highway is amaaaaazing! Been messing around with some of the alternate songs today, most of them don't fit well, but when you find one that does, it's great. What I'm Made Of on Perfect Chaos is a lot of fun (as is the boss itself, definitely my favourite in the game), but playing Sonic Boom on Modern Speed Highway is amaaaaazing!

Overall though, needed more characterisation or interesting story, completely wasted potential there, and the missions can be a bit arse, and the final boss is terrible, but apart from that I'm loving this game. Just took an hour or so to get over the initial disappointment because I'd hyped it up too much (I never learn!).

Edited by Semi-colon e

Play Toxic Caves on any stage

It instantly makes it better. Even Green Hill is better with Toxic Caves =P

• Thumbs Up 1

Play Toxic Caves on any stage

It instantly makes it better. Even Green Hill is better with Toxic Caves =P

I dunno if this was brought up already, but did anyone feel that certain "quick step" moments (most notably in Sky Sanctuary, Rooftop Run and the end of Crisis City) didn't really work in this game? I mean, what with having way more control while boosting than in Unleashed, it seems like touching the analog stick even slightly can cause you to move too close to a wall and almost mess up the whole sequence. I almost feel that the controls should change slightly during these moments, and kind of "lock up" if you will, making Sonic's high speed control more stiff.

I agree. The only way I can actually get across these sections well is by holding boost to keep me perfectly straight.

Oh yeah, for some reason I'm noticing all kinds of graphical glitches in Modern Sky Sanctuary. It's like 06 where the draw distance for background objects isn't great, and sometimes the music loads reaaalllly slow (or occasionally just stops, which happens to me in classic Sky Sanctuary and Speed Highway too sometimes), which is a shame as it hampers an otherwise great stage.

Or there's the glitch in Modern Chemical Plant where you jump just before you fly off the water slide and glitch through the skydiving bit, then might end up stuck if you're unlucky :/ in some ways this game is rough around the edges if you experiment enough, sadly.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Anyone have a guide for the Sky Sanctuary Act 2 red rings?

Nevermind, figured it out

Done everything in the classic era except S ranking the missions on Sky Sanctuary

Edited by 06 Inferno

Heh, is this a game breaking glitch of am I just being stupid? Rooftop Run 1, use Ring Time before the first Egg Fighter gets a chance to push the barrel down after you. He's not been defeated, but because the barrel isn't rolling there's no way to break the floor.

Heh, is this a game breaking glitch of am I just being stupid? Rooftop Run 1, use Ring Time before the first Egg Fighter gets a chance to push the barrel down after you. He's not been defeated, but because the barrel isn't rolling there's no way to break the floor.

I wouldn't call it a glitch that a necessary enemy that you're normally not supposed to be able to defeat was defeated and therefore not able to trigger something. But yes, you broke the game. Well done!

I wouldn't call it a glitch that a necessary enemy that you're normally not supposed to be able to defeat was defeated and therefore not able to trigger something. But yes, you broke the game. Well done!

Well, yeah not a a glitch. But it is a game breaking oversight. Whoops

Out of interest, related to "quick-stepping is weird", anyone else still getting messed up by muscle memory?

In particular, because they use the modern formula under different control schemes, on Rooftop Run I keep trying to use X to Homing Attack, and on Planet Wisp I keep trying to use the control stick to quick-step in that area leading towards the factory. 8C

There have also been one or two moments where I WANT to push X to do Sonic's bounce to kill the wormy Iblis monsters on Crisis City, then remember that they don't have health bars in this one. Then I smile.

• Thumbs Up 9

Related to the above: I gave C.Sonic the homing attack for just ONE run through of Speed Highway, and now I want to use it all the bloody time >.<

And damn, I've really got to stop take the upper routes instinctively all the time. The lower ones are so much more interesting, especially in Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary.

For all the complaints that there are too few bosses in this game, it occurs to me just now that Sonic Generations may in fact have the most bosses of any 3D Sonic game. Think about it: how Sonic games can you think of that have eight different bosses where every single one is unique and isn't merely a boosted-up rerun of a previous boss.

I have to go all the way back to Sonic 2 to come up with a game that has more than eight unique bosses.

No, I can't think of a single reason why the rivals shouldn't count as full bosses. They're mandatory to beat the game, they're unique enemies with a whole stage devoted to them, and they take plenty of hits to bring down while gradually improving their attacks. Bosses.

EDIT: Sorry, seven. Not eight. I really should turn in and get some sleep now.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

Let me say that Hard Mode is fucking wonderful. Trying to beat Metal Sonic without taking a single hit was so much fun.

In a game with Classic stage progression, two distinct styles of play and a 1:2 ratio of boss battles for these play styles, six just isn't enough (not gonna count Time Eater). It doesn't help either that three of the six bosses and simple chases. The Silver and Metal battles are very similar, uninteresting and easy. There's definitely not enough bosses.

Let me say that Hard Mode is fucking wonderful. Trying to beat Metal Sonic without taking a single hit was so much fun.

Did it first try. Didn't see that it was much harder to be honest. Edited by Blue Blood

I have to say one thing, I don't know why so many people have trouble with the last boss.

I think its a simple as it can be, just boost until you get to the time eater and avoid not getting hit.

I actually enjoy it to some extend, I thought it was to simple and over to quickly. The music could be a lot better, it doesn't scream "epic" but more like "boss time"

I just wanted to say that, what I think of the game in general as been already said in this topic.

Edited by redhellc