Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

When I tried to boost on the ground in GHZ, he just flew automatically

Same happens to me. Then the game like forces him to go into his boost flying state. Which i won't lie I do enjoy because he's beastly fast and can skip areas. It's just that it drains so much.

Here's a good question, WHERE THE HELL IS THE LAST RED RING IN MODERN SPEED HIGHWAY? I've searched that stage 7 times back to back w/o any luck.

Same happens to me. Then the game like forces him to go into his boost flying state. Which i won't lie I do enjoy because he's beastly fast and can skip areas. It's just that it drains so much.

Here's a good question, WHERE THE HELL IS THE LAST RED RING IN MODERN SPEED HIGHWAY? I've searched that stage 7 times back to back w/o any luck.

After you doing the running down the building bit, you'll enter a car garage. To the right of this path is a hidden barricaded bath. Destroy the barricade and take the path. You'll run across the side of a building. Take the upper springs (not the lower springs!) and then go across the highway turns. After the checkpoint the plain should turn 2D. It's here the secret Ring lies. Don't go to fast, and keep your eyes out for an easy-to-miss wall jump area above you between two buildings. Follow the path after you wall-jump up and you'll eventually reach the Ring and an ice view of the sunset, and then an awesome secret Rocket section that involves the rocket flying between a bunch of sky scrapers and over rooftops.

Or it might have been this ring, as there was two well hidden ones in my opinion.

At the very beginning of the stage, boost and then jump right before going down the hill and you should access a hidden rail path with a red ring. This is at the VERY beginning of Modern Speed Highway.

It would really help if Sega actually made it tell you which one your missing but alas... Here's what I remember. The grind rail at the beginning, the light dash before the helicopter, near the bottom of the giant skyscraper segment and in one of the rainbow rings near the end. I think the last one might have been inside a breakable wall during the first 2D segment but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Nevermind, Time Eater's right. That pathway he described is also how we're getting such good times on Speed Highway. Its a pretty sweet shortcut.

Edited by supersaiyanmikito

Oh boy.

I hope Super Sonic isn't as much of a nuisance as he sounds at the moment, even though in every video I've seen of him it makes me think regular Sonic is much more worth playing with Skills equipped. Please, please be wrong!

Not so much of a nuisance as he is just terrible. Even for funzies he doesn't really break out much enjoyment. Rings are oddly uncommon and you just burn through them way too hard for some reason. I'm not sure what the developers were thinking on that.

Here is an updated list of the red ring power-ups if anyone still doesn't know what they are or need a refresher. I have almost everything added. Just 5 more power-ups to get.

Red Ring Unlockables:

Classic:

Green Hill Zone: Treasure Scanner - Allows you to see hidden items and springs.

Chemical Plant Zone: Breath Holder - Stay Underwater longer.

-Mission 3: Aqua Shield – Enables a Bound Jump to help get some air.

Sky Sanctuary Zone: Twin-Spin Attack - Allows you to attack in mid-jump.

Speed Highway: Power Sneakers - Run Faster, Plain and simple.

City Escape: Boardmaster – Hop on a skateboard whenever you want.

-Mission 2: Lightning Shield – Enables the Lightning Shield

Seaside Hill: Invincible Start – Start the stage with temporary Invincibility

Crisis City: Hercules Muscles - Push moveable objects faster.

-Mission 4: Flame Shield - Enables the Flame Shield.

Rooftop Run: Long Spin Dash - Your Spin Dash will carry you further.

Planet Wisp: Homing Attack - Lets you perform the Homing Attack.

Modern:

Green Hill Zone: Acceleration - Increases speed when starting to run.

-Mission 5: Boost gauge up - Extend the length of your boost gauge.

Chemical Plant Zone: Smasher Bonus - Breaking enemies, etc. fills boost gauge.

Sky Sanctuary Zone: Gauge Rebooter - Begin with full boost gauge upon restart.

Speed Highway: Auto-Gauge - Boost Gauge fills automatically over time.

City Escape: Quick Slide - Enables Quick Step when on a skateboard.

Seaside Hill: Direct Jump – Increases the speed of your wall jump.

Crisis City: Serial Homing - This allows you to use homing attack faster.

-Mission 1: Power Stomp - Create a shock wave when stomping on ground.

Rooftop Run: Trick Master - Perform Tricks Faster

-Mission 4: Endless Boost - The Boost Gauge stays full but you can't get Rings.

Planet Wisp: Ring Energy Bonus - Collecting Rings fills the gauge faster.

Edited by DawningWolf

To add to your list, here's some I know of.

Modern Rooftop Run: Trick Master - Perform tricks faster.

Classic Planet Wisp: Homing Attack - Lets you perform the Homing Attack.

I forgot what their names were, but Classic RR gives you a better Spindash while Modern PW makes rings give you more energy.

Alright, added those along with the Classic Rooftop Run, I only got two more levels to get all red rings in!

Edited by DawningWolf

Or it might have been this ring, as there was two well hidden ones in my opinion.

At the very beginning of the stage, boost and then jump right before going down the hill and you should access a hidden rail path with a red ring. This is at the VERY beginning of Modern Speed Highway.

How do you get the elemental shields?

Edit: Saw DawningWolf's post, how about flame shield?

Edited by thebluehedgehog

How do you get the elemental shields?

Edit: Saw DawningWolf's post, how about flame shield?

There's a mission in Crisis City that allows you to get the flame shield.

I got the game today. It's as good as I hoped it would be. The re-imagined Metal Sonic and Death Egg bosses were really fun. I'm playing through the game with the Omachao hints turned off. Made the Death Egg boss hard, but satisfying to beat. I'll be posting the recording of the whole thing on my youtube channel, if anyone wants to watch my experience with it.

Ok now that I've taken a break and played every mission and played through the game twice, I guess I'll post my thoughts on every level and boss and stuff.

The story is as the IGN reviewer said, Inconsequential, but enjoyable. I can see where it feels lacking though. Sonic Colors had only Sonic and Tails interacting with each other so there wasn't really much more to add between them, however the didn't add much to Yacker. In this game there were many character and it didn't feel like they got much attention at all. I guess it's better to have a story like this than one like 06 where everybody hog the spotlight from Sonic, but I think they deserved a little bit more to it, fuck the critics and just make some other characters have their moment at least once.

Graphics were very nice and lively with some of the best lighting I've ever seen. It's just a shame that there were no CGI cutscenes. To really make them shine.

The voice acting is easily the best I've heard in any Sonic game. Smith, Higgins and Pollock did it again and it was nice to finally hear other character in a main game. Amy wasn't nearly as bad as she was in Free Riders thank god, and Cream is more adorable than annoying now.

Music is really just old stuff but remixed. I really like most of the remixes especially Crisis City and City Escape, most of the music really feels faithful to the original. Some remixes though aren't really much different and feel pretty same-y. The Time Eater's theme is the only original song in the game. It's pretty good but I don't like that we didn't get a faithful re-orchestration of the main theme, not we had one, which is a real shame because this game really deserved one. I'm also disappointed that the use EGGMAN for eggman's theme instead of the one from 06-Colors.

Now for the gameplay. To start with, this is one of the most well designed Sonic games that I've ever played. Just about everything in the levels is designed brilliantly, level gimmicks, platforming, powerups, etc. They all just feel so right and while there's not too many bottomless pits there are really no moments that feel like they're "cheap" like they did in Unleashed. The controls on modern Sonic are EXPONENTIALLY better than Unleashed, and can be sort of changed with powerups. Classic, while still feeling undeniably heavy compared to his genesis games, is easy to adjust to and still feels very easy to control and I dare say the added heavyness I found, actually sort of helped in some situations like bouncing me up to higher paths and sometimes saving me from a (rare) bottomless pit. Now for the levels.

Green Hill- Not much to say here, first level of the game so there's not much to it. I feel that they improved the classic version with the right amount of tweaks and alternate paths. The modern version of it feels extremely barebones though, even for a first level. While it's got more to it than places like Windmill Isle, it's still just feels like too much of a narrow corridor the entire way through, boost-to-win in other words. Thankfully this is the only level that feels that way.

Chemical Plant- The classic variant had more underwater challenges added to it and lengthened. It has tons more alternate paths than before too. The modern variant is more than meets-the-eye. A lot more. There's alternate in places you wouldn't expect, underwater challenges as well, and awesome visuals. Doesn't feel quite so boost-to-win either.

Sky Sanctuary- Classic no longer feels like just a transition between Lava Reef and Death Egg. So much alternate paths and platforming goodness here, a clear improvement from the original. Modern is a GRAND example of what a modern Sonic level should be. A grand majority of it is in 3D and has tons good platforming sections and alternate paths everywhere just extremely fleshed out, I'd almost say that it has more meat than all of Unleashed's daytime levels put together but that might be over-exaggerating. Maybe. All those who think you can simply boost to win will rip their hair off here laugh.png

Speed Highway- Out of the classic era and in the dreamcast, this is The new area for classic Sonic, it has a lot of great platforming sections to while still providing that thrilling sense of speed in the other areas. You need to time jumps in some of the speed areas perfectly to reach alternate roads such as spindashing and then jumping at the peak of the slope and launching yourself and the cars that come at you from the background are a nice touch. Modern variant is another improvement over the original. So fast and thrilling while giving you grindrails to jump onto if you can, and paths to fall onto should you fail. Some platforming though this is called speed highway for a reason, also gotta be careful not to jump of the edge of the road.

City Escape- A big Iconic stage, almost at Green Hill's level of icon. The classic stage has you completely at the mercy of the GUN truck, if you don't platform fast it will destroy your path and force you to take a lower, often harder path. I really like that deal. The little Skateboard powerup is nice but I feel it doesn't add much. Modern level is yet another improvement over its original counterpart, with a nostalgic boarding section in the beginning being still being able to destory 100s of cars, is fleshed like crazy with powerlines to grind over and the springboards take you to different areas of the place. The GUN truck itself is back with a bloodthirsty vengance. with 3 saws, jets to drive over walls and a blatant disregard for property damage and human life, this truck is a fucking dick that will piss you off in either level (though mostly the classic one) my only gripe is that the modern version feels like it ended way too soon. Also, Those wanted posters of Nack are a nice touch.

Seaside Hill- Not exactly a dreamcast game, though still in the dreamcast era, it's The token water level of the game. The classic version of it has a very Labyrinth Zone vive to it, though unlike Labyrinth Zone, it isn't a pain to trudge through. It is also very Hydrocity in the sense that you can skip all the water section is you can stick to the upper route and not fall off. The modern version is yet another great example of what a modern 3D Sonic game should be. It has possibly the best 3D design of all the stages, branching paths galore, exploration and platforming, everything about it is such a blast to play through. The car and turtle paths were an awesome addition. The smooth controls make the 3D platforming feel like a fun blast instead of a painful chore like in Unleashed. Sega, more design like this!

Crisis City- Into the dark ages we go now, abandon all hope ye who enter. fuck you sega for reming me of TEH WORSTEST GAEM IN HISTERY!!!! 4/10 FOR U!!!! Crisis City is a level with a great amount of potential that was never really tapped into originally. The classic version is great, implementing Lava Reef elements as well as that troll tornado. The modern version, while good, felt like it suffered too much from Sonic Colors Syndrome of being 1/2 3D and the latter half 2D. The 2D isn't as good as the the Classic version's 2D and honestly felt like a wasted opportunity for more 3D which was great at the beginning of the level despite feeling pretty linear as a whole. Regardless, I still enjoyed it though it could've been better in that regard.

Rooftop Run- Classic Sonic version of this stage is just a blast to play through. Platforming heaven, enemies everywhere, lots of careful dodging areas, you can blast through many areas if you really know what you're doing though. That last area when you climb the clock tower is awesome, best of all is that nothing about it feels cheap and the clock was a nice touch. I think that the flying battery should've been a bigger hazard like bombing the city or something. The modern version of the stage is notably different from it's 3 year old counterpart, it trades level length for width and alternate areas so that you aren't simply boosting through the whole place anymore. There was quite a bit of platforming added and the areas just feel much more fun to get through in general. Once again, the controls are a big help for it.

Planet Wisp- As the last level of the game, I had a lot of expectations for this level. They were surpassed. The awesome thing about this level is the transitions it can have from a natural place to a mechanical hazardous construction zone, I also love the upgrade that the eggbots got, they're basically Boomerang Bros. now. The classic version of this level is the best level in the game IMO. The length of it is perfect, the difficulty, the puzzles, platforming, the content, the alternate paths it's just awesome, Some might see the forced use of the wisp as and annoyance but I don't see it as a bad thing. The modern variant has some awesome 3D platforming sections at the beginning in the all natural part of Planet Wisp not yet corrupted by Eggman's machines and then transitions into a mostly 2D section of the level in the rest of the way in a mechanized setting. The level does have Sonic Colors Syndrome, but I found the 2D sections of it to be so fun that I ended up not caring in the end. The Orange Wisp is used in this act and it is a fun little tool that is the key to the higher up alternate paths as well as red rings.The length of this level is perfect, I don't know about others but I like my Sonic levels to be between 5-10 minutes in length especially if they're difficult and Planet Wisp delivers just that. I'd argue that it is probably the best level in the entire Sonic series too. biggrin.png Sorry S&K Death Egg, it had to happen sometime.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS)The missions in this game, I expected to be stupid little filler like in Unleashed or the storybooks where you had to not break pots or not not collect ring or some other stupid crap. While there were those ring missions that were just plain annoying and some of the missions like the sign post mission in crisis city were just stupid, I like most of the missions for the most part. The dopplegangers gave me a run for my money in the modern era and the friend co-op missions were just grand, for the most part. Even though the mission with Vectors music note was stupid and and Rouge's seductive mission was...interesting, Sega, you no longer have any excuse to not make Tails, Knuckles, or any other characters at least optionally playable. That Tails Co-op was basically playing as Tails, and so was the Knuckles co-op, speaking of which that Knuckles co-op showed that Sega found out how to make treasure hunting from SA1&2 not be the most boring chore of your life.

Now for the bosses.

Metal Sonic- Not much here, just a simple chase miniboss except this time you're actually fighting him. Just avoid his attacks and hit him when he's tired. Disappointingly easy even in hard mode where it just adds 2 hits and not much else.

Death Egg Robot- The first "real boss" it may have been hell in Sonic 2 but it is painfully easy here even for a first boss. Just dodge the slow hand charges and attack him in the ass, then make in hit bombs and jump on the hand while he's stunned. Hard mode does little to add challenge, just 2 extra hits on him during the easy part of the fight.

Shadow- Massive improvement over the original battle, and the first 2 bosses. Get the 2 chaos cores before he does and the use the power to strip him of rings. He can be pretty persistent on beating you to them. Hard mode adds sufficient challenge to it, you must get 3 chaos cores now instead of 2 and he's more aggressive during the fight. Even though it's still really easy, it has a certain thrill factor that just makes it really cool IMO.

Perfect Chaos- Another improvement over the original fight. This time you actually must platform to reach Chaos instead just boosting all willy-nilly. The platforming is pretty easy though. Hard mode makes the whole fight in 3D platforming and makes it surprisingly more difficult.

Silver- Giant improvement over the 06 fights. He's a chase boss too, he throws cars and shit at you. I can't help but think of him saying "DID SOMEBODY CALL FOR A TAXI?!" before throwing it at you laugh.png He's really easy just home towards the cars and then him. Hard mode adds hits and has him attack faster. Not much harder unfortunately.

Egg Dragoon- Ok here's the jackpot, a massive improvement from Unleashed, this was an awesome boss, it took quite a few hits to take him down and the wall jumping sections of it are almost an instant death is if you fail them twice and then don't hurry up after recovering. This machine has a lot of tricks up its sleeve and will spare nothing to kill you. Hard mode was so satisfying. The hard mode was so hard that it almost made me slam the controler on the ground and caused me 2 game overs. His attacks are much faster, the wall jumps are pretty much death if you get hit unless you really hurry up, and the rails are riddled with spikes. Also, it takes a lot of hits to take this fucker down. This is the boss fight you've been waiting for (unless you just can't stand chase bosses in general) Hard mode almost makes up for the disappointing difficulties of the other bosses. ALMOST.

Time Eater- Ok this was a very disappointing battle here. All you do is boost towards it which takes forever and hit the core. Super Classic cannot damage it as far as I know and it has a time break attack the doesn't help it, nor does it hinder me. It's just a poorly designed battle, I'd say it's probably the worst final boss in the series, which is a huge shame.

All in all, i'd say the pros of this game greatly outweigh the cons and make for an all around enjoyable experience. I think this also disproves those who say that Alternate gameplay like the Werehog brawler or Mech Shooting is justified because playing the same gameplay the whole way through just gets boring. Not that I think it was ever a valid point anyway rolleyes.gif I'd definately agree with this game being between 8.5-9.5 range of scores. I personally give it a 9 dragged down mostly by piss easy bosses.

Edited by Derpy Hooves
  • Thumbs Up 5

I demand an Omochao plush that says:

"Attack it's head!"

And:

"Attack it's belly!"

When you squeeze it.

Seriously, Omochao sounds way too cute while he's telling you to kill something...and I liek it.

• Thumbs Up 6

It would really help if Sega actually made it tell you which one your missing but alas...

What are you talking about? That feature does exist already. Just talk to the character outside the entrance gate and they'll give you a hint for the missing red ring. If the hin't isn't good enough, then posting said hint in this thread will definitely get somebody to say "Oh, THAT one! I know exactly where that one is!"

Egg Dragoon- Ok here's the jackpot, a massive improvement from Unleashed, this was an awesome boss, it took quite a few hits to take him down and the wall jumping sections of it are almost an instant death is if you fail them twice and then don't hurry up after recovering. This machine has a lot of tricks up its sleeve and will spare nothing to kill you. Hard mode was so satisfying. The hard mode was so hard that it almost made me slam the controler on the ground and caused me 2 game overs. His attacks are much faster, the wall jumps are pretty much death if you get hit unless you really hurry up, and the rails are riddled with spikes. Also, it takes a lot of hits to take this fucker down. This is the boss fight you've been waiting for (unless you just can't stand chase bosses in general) Hard mode almost makes up for the disappointing difficulties of the other bosses. ALMOST.

Almost? This was by far the best and maybe the hardest boss fight in the series. Only other boss fight that comes close to it's difficulty would be Egg robo from Sonic 2. (A TRUE LEGEND AND A BITCH RIGHT HERE) I died like 3 or 4 times on this one alone. This fight alone made up for Time eater's shit fight.

Shadow was fun but VERY short lived. I ran through his fight in about 1:45. No joke. Silver was....well anything was better than his debut so yeah. But comparing his Generations fight to anything else in the series, I'd say it was well deserved.

Perfect Chaos was great. Odd that he did it in his normal state but great. (has he really gotten that much stronger now?)

Egg robo was.....questionable. I had trouble on this fight because C sonic wouldn't jump like I needed him too.

Metal Sonic was faithful to his debut fight. Chase...chase....chase.

I don't want to jump the gun on this, but maybe getting all S-Ranks does do something? I right now am going for all S-Ranks and I've just noticed all the Challenge gates you get an S-Rank on start sparkling, as do stages and boss doors. I would think the emphasis on getting S-Ranks by your friends and this strange sparkling that's going on would happen if there was something special for getting all S-Ranks, but what do I know, I am still going to expect nothing as that's what it's been for ages. I think Shadow the Hedgehog was the last game that gave you anything for all A Ranks.

Planet Wisp and Time Eater really dragged down the end of the game, but I can't complain overall. I despise Classic Planet Wisp...not the music, the stage. The level design is too much of a maze considering everything looks the same (except for the beginning and end). I did not find the level fun, just tedious.

That said, most of the game was fun to me. My favorites are Classic Crisis City, Modern Sky Sanctuary and Classic Speed Highway.

The Silver and Shadow fights were very fun, as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

^ Agree with the above about Planet Wisp Classic. Modern was so ace, but Classic really felt bogged down despite how fucking massive it was. Just felt like I was getting nowhere fast.

That said Seaside Hill is the best hill. I asked myself why they couldn't have taken something really unique to heroes instead like a pure ocean palace (which the stage really is) or Eggfleet or something. But after playing though it on the Modern Side, I feel as though this is the best, most well rounded stage we have gotten in Unleashed Style. Multiplaths out the flipping ass. There is just too many ways to replay the stage.

I just 1000 gamerscored the game. In the past half hour I spent trying to get that blasted "Can't Touch This" achievement, my opinion on the final boss has kind of changed. Once you learn how to do the fight properly, its actually really fun. Its easily more complex then any final boss in the series.

Pink Spikes was always my least favourite Wisp, so any level designed completely around its use was pretty much doomed from the start for me. I've never quite gotten used to controlling it; it just feels awfully stiff, both in Colours and in Generations, particularly when going around corners. I'm really, really glad that Planet Wisp is so lenient when it comes to rankings (even compared to most of the other regular stages in the game), so I didn't have to play through that maze a dozen times, stressing about shaving off seconds. S-rank first time through, baby~

I did like Modern Planet Wisp quite a bit, though. It's not the best level in the game or anything, but it's a lot less of a maze than Classic's version and the outdoor environment at the beginning is gorgeous. It really feels like two zones in one, something that the original level never quite achieved.

Minor nitpick time: it kind of sucks that there's no bar indicating how much colour power energy you have left. I guess it'd be kind of weird to only give one to Classic Sonic, since obviously the Orange Rocket wouldn't need one, and they did kind of comprimise by at least including a musical indicator that your energy's running low, but Pink Spikes is probably the worst colour power for leaving you in awkward places if you run out of energy unexpectedly. Well... second worst, I guess, after Blue Cube.

The collect 250 rings mission in Rooftop Run with Modern Sonic: is it just me or does the mission end in Professor Pickle's study or a room made of the room's assets?

So I'm not the only one having problems with Modern Super Sonic? He was being very obnoxious to maneuver properly when boosting. He glitched his way into a wall once, and in the room with the rising water (chemical plant) he seemed to just teleport to the middle of the room when ever I hit the boost button.

Has this happened to anyone else? I want to know if it's cause of the game or my xbox showing its age.