Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

One weird thing I noticed was the quality of the pre-rendered cutscene videos. Was it just my copy or was the opening cutscene in particular really compressed/pixelated? They didn't look like that in Unleashed. I guess since the disc has so much content this can be excused and it isn't serious anyway, but I just thought it was weird.

Yes, the XBOX360 version of the game, I've heard, has highly compressed cutscenes which is a result of the DVD medium choice. Apparently a 360 game disc can only hold 7GB of data. The PC release is about 8.5 GB (keep in mind the Steam page says you should have 11GB available), I would be very surprised if the PS3 release didn't utilize the 25GB of sweet sweet bluray storage available.

But hey, high cutscene compression for better quality in-game textures? I'll accept that.

Yes, the XBOX360 version of the game, I've heard, has highly compressed cutscenes which is a result of the DVD medium choice. Apparently a 360 game disc can only hold 7GB of data. The PC release is about 8.5 GB (keep in mind the Steam page says you should have 11GB available), I would be very surprised if the PS3 release didn't utilize the 25GB of sweet sweet bluray storage available.

But hey, high cutscene compression for better quality in-game textures? I'll accept that.

I agree completely, I really have very little complaints with this game. Well done Sonic Team :)

Did anyone else nearly shed a tear while going through Modern Sky Sanctuary? Nostalgia at it's finest. ^_^

I am so heading down to Zellers tomorrow to see if they have this. Chances are they won't, for the 360 anyway, but you never know.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, ppl. smile.png What's the price on it, btw? Is it a 49.95 game, or a 69.95 game?

Edited by BountyHunter

I agree completely, I really have very little complaints with this game. Well done Sonic Team smile.png

Did anyone else nearly shed a tear while going through Modern Sky Sanctuary? Nostalgia at it's finest. happy.png

Not for Sky Sanctuary (I never had Sonic & Knuckles as a kid) but I can relate. Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, and City Escape...man. Good times.

Alright, being brief once again, I do have some good things to say about Generations. Classic Sonic is more fun than Modern (obviously, though Classic has some flaws), and the level designs of the Classic levels are much better - I love how in City Escape that goddamn truck is constantly hounding you throughout the level. There's a lot of neat level design details.

I also grinned like a goddamn maniac when Blaze's Crisis City mission used a remix of the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast. I love that song, and in a mission featuring my favourite Sonic character? FUCK. YES.

Modern has some neat bits in its level design that would work rather well if Modern Sonic didn't handle like a cow at low speeds.

Basically, my main beef is with the core gameplay, which pretty much drags the rest of the game down. Which is really sad, because I really could've loved this game if it had (what I think is, anyway) a more fun gameplay style for Modern Sonic. :(

Alright, being brief once again, I do have some good things to say about Generations. Classic Sonic is more fun than Modern (obviously, though Classic has some flaws), and the level designs of the Classic levels are much better - I love how in City Escape that goddamn truck is constantly hounding you throughout the level. There's a lot of neat level design details.

I also grinned like a goddamn maniac when Blaze's Crisis City mission used a remix of the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast. I love that song, and in a mission featuring my favourite Sonic character? FUCK. YES.

Modern has some neat bits in its level design that would work rather well if Modern Sonic didn't handle like a cow at low speeds.

Basically, my main beef is with the core gameplay, which pretty much drags the rest of the game down. Which is really sad, because I really could've loved this game if it had (what I think is, anyway) a more fun gameplay style for Modern Sonic. sad.png

But this is where things get tricky. I LOVED Modern Sonic's gameplay, more than I loved Classic's which surprised me. I like both a lot, but I felt the Modern stages were stronger than the Classic ones, but both were strong and which one a person preferred was up to individual preference.

I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who liked the final boss. Not just tolerated it, but actually enjoyed the fight and feel up for a replay for fun. Don't get me wrong, I can't fault the criticism, but I like a boss that takes me a moment to figure out how to defeat. And once I had the Time Eater figured out, it was great fun.

I like your stupid Sonic game SSMB, how does that make you feel?

Not a damn thing. :P

Also, when it comes to Modern or Classic Sonic, I've hardly bothered with Classic Sonic much compared to Modern. Eh, each to their own.

Can't decide if I like this or Unleashed better. But I really like this. Classic Sonic is this game's Werehog for me, most of the time I just look forward to his sections to end, mainly because of his lack of homing attack and heavy jump... Once I unlock his homing attack I imagine I'll enjoy the classic sections a lot more.

Just finished the main story mode a few minutes ago (bear in mind that I didn't get to start on it until 11pm last night, plus sleep). The gameplay is actually pretty fun, albeit easy. Disappointed in the various missed opportunities and lack of meat, although I wasn't aware that the characters got additional text dialogue after you beat their mission (although some of it is a little inaccurate; would Cream really be so shocked she lost like that, even if it did involve Chao?). Not going to bother with red ring collecting (yet. I didn't bother with medal collecting in Unleashed either at first, now got all 200), will try to get as many mission as I can do though.

Can't decide if I like this or Unleashed better. But I really like this. Classic Sonic is this game's Werehog for me, most of the time I just look forward to his sections to end, mainly because of his lack of homing attack and heavy jump... Once I unlock his homing attack I imagine I'll enjoy the classic sections a lot more.

Edited by Future-Hedgehog

That's a first, a person actually likes Modern Sonic over Classic Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but one can prefer oranges over apples or vice versa. orange master race reporting in.

I honestly enjoy the modern Sonic levels more than I do the classics, although then again I like many of the modern Sonic games.

As for impressions, I started playing yesterday, and my biggest gripe with the game is that jump control. I'm not used to having Sonic jump AFTER the jump button is released - Classic Sky Sanctuary took forever while I was still trying to get the jump down. I had nothing but "fuck yeah" moments up until then, when I died more than once because (in my opinion) the jump sucks and is quite unresponsive.

Other than that the game is pretty damn awesome. So far, I don't like it as much(the daytime levels of) Unwiished or Colors, but then again I'm not even out of the Classic Era yet, and my opinion is easily changed.

Have to say one thing, though - if games were graded on aesthetics alone, this would be a 100/10 GOTYAY.

Edited by ovarloard

I'll always prefer Classic gameplay, that's a given. Its the gameplay I grew up with, and its the gameplay that defines Sonic to me; yeah hes not exactly the same as he was back in 1994, but hes at least playable, and that's good enough for me.

With all of that said, I love Modern Sonic and how they were finally able to apply some 3D platforming into the levels, and keep the core of Unleashed gameplay the same; I love Modern's bosses a lot more and its overall a more fun experience. My only main gripe though is something someone else mentioned, most of Modern's levels feel the same when it comes to level design "Boost Forward, some platforming, Boost some more, End" there's no real differentiation between the levels other than the amount of platforming or boosting you're doing.

Generally liked Modern more myself. Whenever I turn the game on for a quick casual play session, I usually play around 3 or 4 modern levels.

Edited by Modern Inferno

Generally liked Modern more myself. Whenever I turn the game on for a quick casual play session, I usually play around 3 or 4 modern levels.

So what about when you want to play seriously?

So what about when you want to play seriously?

Then like...I play all the other stuff too..? :r when I said quick, I meant levels like Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, ect, the short stages.

Just received this in the mail yesterday. Haven't gotten far in it but so far I've been having alot of fun with it. Both Classic mode and Modern are enjoyable and as a fan of the old school Sonic, seeing these old levels revamped was a refreshing thing to see and I love the soundtrack. I'm alittle confused though. I'm surprised with how easy it is to obtain an S rank on the regular stages but on the Challenge levels, I struggle just to earn a B rank most of the time.