Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

What i don't get is why all you americans love the heck of AoStH with all its "Childish" humor and for some reason hate Colors which is basically the same thing:

How exactly is Colors "cringeworthy" and this is not?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also on par with Dark Souls and Resistance 3.

Sounds like like their 4star is not equivalent to an 8.0 XD

Can't wait to see the story for myself and see whether it really is all that bad or not.

Looks like someone needs to update their email address.

I was wondering what you meant, but then it hit me. laugh.png I forgot my e-mail on my SSMB profile was that old address and I also forgot that I had it set to take e-mails through here too. Updated it now.

What i don't get is why all you americans love the heck of AoStH with all its "Childish" humor and for some reason hate Colors which is basically the same thing:

How exactly is Colors "cringeworthy" and this is not?

What don't you know? Old skool is always better. Even if it's worse, it's better XP

You know what I deserve for this amazing logic?

PROMOTION.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 5 Star review system...

5. Amazing!

4. Outstanding!

3. Awesome!

2. Great!

1. Good!

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I want to like this so much...but I ran out of likes :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha Uncharted 3 actually flopped on gamespot too it was hyped to be a 10 and got a 9....

People are saying they might not get it...this is what the gaming community has become.

• Thumbs Up 1

All these story complaints make me worry a little bit. Not for the game itself because 8's are great, but because I don't want them to think that means they need to go back to THOSE kinds of SRS BZNS stories from SA2-06. I love my lighthearted Sonic.

What don't you know? Old skool is always better. Even if it's worse, it's better XP

I guess i'm the only person who never lets nostalgia affect his judgement.

I personally love the Colors writers so keep the jokes coming for many years guyscool.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Hahaha Uncharted 3 actually flopped on gamespot too it was hyped to be a 10 and got a 9....

People are saying they might not get it...this is what the gaming community has become.

Since when 9 is a bad score? People nowadays relys too much on review scores. If it looks good and if you're interested then play the game yourself.

I guess i'm the only person who never lets nostalgia affect his judgement.

I personally love the Colors writers so keep the jokes coming for many years guyscool.png

It's not because the story has jokes in it and if there is it probably won't be alot like in Colors. The reviewer probably don't like the tone of the story, the characters, the voice acting, etc. The reviewer never even address why he thinks the story is 'moronic' but at the same time I'm not surprise cause I don't remember a reviewer that praise a Sonic game for it's story.

Edited by sonfan1984

Guys, people hated Unleashed's story remember, and I think we unanimously agreed that its passable.

Reviewers are going to hate on a Sonic story no matter what it is, so rather than rage about one sentence, how about we wait a week the judge for ourselves? Sounds good?, ok.

Edited by Shadic93

It's all about the numbers...personal opinion means NOTHING!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

9 is an excellent score, though...I don't even...

Anyways...

Take a look at Empire's reviewing scale.

5 - Classic

4 - Excellent

3 - Good

2 - Fair

1 - Tragic

Sonic Generations is "Excellent" and is on par with the likes of Forza 4 and RAGE.

That's what I mean about metacritic BS. A 3/5 in this mag is "Good"...but the percentage score that comes from it (60%) would actually lower a game's score on something like metacritic or gamerankings. And 60% is viewed as average on a ten point scale.

That's why people should think for themselves.

And AofSTH was a children's cartoon that was watched by old school Sonic fans...when they were children. It's understandable why people like it. Sonic Colors, meanwhile, was a game they played when they were adults.

Besides, cartoons are by their definition cartoonish. Slapstick and buffoonery are inherent to the artform. Video games...it depends. People's problem with Colors was they didn't like the jokes. I personally saw it as hit or miss. Some good, some cringe worthy. It just felt under developed, which makes sense if you believe the fanwank that Colors started as a Wii version of Generations.

Take a look at Empire's reviewing scale.

5 - Classic

4 - Excellent

3 - Good

2 - Fair

1 - Tragic

Sonic Generations is "Excellent" and is on par with the likes of Forza 4 and RAGE.

Right, before you guys get your panties in a twist about the story, consider this.

Every single 3D Sonic game review has specifically mentioned the story as being the weakness. Yes, even your beloved SA2. A Sonic game being criticised for its story is nothing new. I wouldn't start ragging on the Colours's writers till you've experience the plot first-hand.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if we'll get a Zero Punctuation review of Generations.

Edited by RhikoruNa

I'd love it if he would, but apparently he was going to review Colors, and despite starting to like the gameplay, when he found out about their story approach he decided not to. I have a feeling that since the Colors writers are doing Generations too, he might do the same approach...but you never really know with Yahtzee, really.

*snip* so rather than rage about one sentence, how about we wait a week the judge for ourselves? Sounds good?, ok.

I'm not saying game is bad. I am really hyped for it. I'm just saying that this review proved something. That this game is near perfect and its only weakness is writting. In real world if someone from team at job fails he is given second chance, if he fails again he gets fired and thats what I actually hope will happen.

Dont get me wrong. I dont expect SUPAH COMPLEX FINAL FANTASY STORY cause story was never major selling point of Sonic Games but it doesnt mean we shouldnt care about it. I just want decent story with good writting. Lightearted or serious isnt the case! The major thing that defines plot are the cutscenes. In good plot they have reason and make story progress. Did they work like that in Colors? NO! In Colors majority of cutscenes were pointless. Well nearly pointless because their only point was to make another lame stupid joke (only good one was BBE-that one actually made me chuckle without facepalm).

Now lets look at SA1/2 or Unleashed. Cutscenes had point? Yes! They made story progress. Were story (well at least SA1 and Unleashed) lighthearted? Yes! I havr reasons to hate Colors writers now.

When it was annouced that new writters come in I was like "Oh! This can be interesting!" and after Colors I was really disapointed. But I said to myself "Well they only had 2 main Characters, Sidekick, 2 Robots and Alien as chatacters so its probably all they could do" so I gave them second chance! This time they had almost whole Modern Cast to use. And now when I hear from 2 reviews (that are only reviews By The Way) that story is bad and stupid I just think that writers dont do their job right. Someone failed at their job and it wasnt Sonic Team.

IGN: 9.5

I think this is pushing it....most likely it will score the same as colors. 8.5

Gamespot: 8

This I can easily see...no wrong here.

Destructoid: 7

This all really depends on if Jim wants to troll or not, but perhaps nostalgia will grab and he will review it fairly and accurately.

1UP: 8.5

This I can totally see as well.

GameInformer: 8

This is the biggest toss up because GI doesn't really like Sonic to begin with..I'd be surprised if it got AA.

GameTrailers: 7

I find GT to be a joke...I really don't care what they say, but a 7 seems about right.

EuroGamer: 9

This is also pushing it a tad...EuroGamer is very strict and I don't see it getting any higher than an 8

Joystiq: 9

Joystiq is one of those places that reviews games on their own merit. I can see a 9 from them if Sonic Generatios holds up.

Edited by V0YANT