Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

I sure don't. Another 8/10 is great. Way to go Generations.

If the story is like Colors. Then i'm going to enjoy this so much! But i will reserve judgement until i experience it myself.

One person might find it moronic another might find it a materpiece.

Inb4someonecallsopinionsblasphemy :P

Honestly, the story in Colours was fine, if not too simple. It was just poorly played out. The story in Generations I'm guessing is in a similar situation. That's probably more to do with Sonic Team that it is the guys writing the script.

Got a quote news tipped to me from the Empire review:

Oh dear...

EDIT:

Oh, and don't forget that Empire rates on a 5 star system.

Yeah, you're kinda late:

I was just checkin' Sonic Wikia(or News Network) and they had this posted at the reviews article:

In issue 270 of Empire magazine they had the first review of Sonic Generations. they gave it 4 Stars out of 5 and said "Generations is a delirious race down memory lane, only let down by a moronic story that makes the movie sequences a toe-curling embarrassment.".

So, 2 reviews so far have complained about the story? What the...

Edited by Shadic93

So no name writer from some dumbshit movie magazine from god knows what country is insulting the story but still gives a good rating?

I'm cool with that.

*looks at Shadz post*

Now the game gets rated down for story in 2 reviews!!!!!!!

Freaking called it!!! You have no excuse now Colors writers. You failed 2 times! And this time with WHOLE Modern Sonic cast (excluding Omega and Big). I am officialy first person to sign "Get Happy Tree Friends out of there" petition. I hope SEGA realize its mistake.

OH MY GOD, the story is bad? This truly is the end of everything, this game has completely failed to live up to the hype because of one sentence about the story, this truly is Sonic's darkest hour, because somebody doesn't like the story. I think I'm going to go kill myself now, because the story in a Sonic game isn't good, and never will be good again.

• Thumbs Up 3

*looks at Shadz post*

Freaking called it!!! You have no excuse now Colors writers. You failed 2 times! And this time with WHOLE Modern Sonic cast (excluding Omega and Big). I am officialy first person to sign "Get Happy Tree Friends out of there" petition. I hope SEGA realize its mistake.

Oh please, shut the hell up. The story is never the strong points in Sonic games in the first place and this has ALWAYS been a common complaint among reviewers way before the Colors writers came along. If you want to sign a petty petition because they've 'failed' two times (even though we haven't even seen the story yet besides screenshots of the opening cutscene) then we should've gotten rid of the main Sonic Team writers a long time ago cause they failed more then two times and has written crappy stories since Sonic Adventure 2. So if the ST writers return back to write the stories in the main series again then people are going to expect the stories to be completely shit overall. Their stories is probably not filled with jokes or humor but it's filled with a lot worse crap.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 3

OK, lets be honest...who plays Sonic games for the 'diverse' and 'unique' stories?

I do, because I care a lot about the entirety of the game as well as the characters within it. Good storytelling and characterization should not be treated as expendable and/or unimportant because believe it or not, it contributes to the game all-round. And I for one know that I play Sonic games for the stories and characters as much as the uniquely exhilirating speedy experience they deliver.

I'm withholding judgment till I get it myself because I am unqualified to comment but if I'm being completely honest, I'm not surprised. Plenty of reviewers of other Sonic games have lambasted perfectly good Sonic game stories before.

• Thumbs Up 8

You are demonizing the writers as if the game got a low score because of it, when it got 4 freakin' stars out of 5!!!. Seriously people, what's wrong with you and the scores lately?

You are demonizing the writers as if the game got a low score because of it, when it got 4 freakin' stars out of 5!!!. Seriously people, what's wrong with you and the scores lately?

Anything under 9/10 or 4.5/5 SUCKS...apparently.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

I literally just woke up from a dream where Generations had no story. The only cutscenes were five-second clips of Sonic making an inane observation about each boss before he fought them (before Metal Sonic: "You sure are blue!"), meaning that none of the supporting characters ever talked beyond giving out hints on the hub and the Time Eater's identity was never revealed. After he was beaten, it just cut straight to credits without even resolving what happened to Classic Sonic. All my dream rage, man.

Anyway, we knew about this review a couple of days ago. Why is this still a thing?

Edited by Octarine

Don't you realize dude, the story is serious business, nothing else matters but the story.

Yeah, you're kinda late:

Oh, I must have missed that one. I remember the Empire review score being mentioned, but never saw that snippet posted. Funnily enough, the news tip was sent in on the 24th, but I've only just seen it because it was oddly sent to an e-mail account I don't really use anymore rather than the main Sonic Stadium one or my shadzter@sonicstadium.org one.

*looks at Shadz post*

I agree with A Rooftree in Spagonia. How have they "failed" when the Colours dialogue and storyline was praised more than the storyline of basically ANY Sonic game before hand? It's hardly a mistake, especially since it's controversial. Plenty of people liked it, plenty of people hated it. I for one thought that Colours had the best storyline and writing in any Sonic game ever. Most Sonic games just make me nod in disapproval at how stupid the dialogue sounds, especially in games where to tone is trying to be serious like the Adventure titles and 06. However, Colours' dialogue actually made me smile for the most part. There were a few cringe worthy lines, but all in all it was suitable and light hearted.

But that's just me. I'm just saying they're hardly bad writers when plenty of people like them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, I must have missed that one. I remember the Empire review score being mentioned, but never saw that snippet posted. Funnily enough, the news tip was sent in on the 24th, but I've only just seen it because it was oddly sent to an e-mail account I don't really use anymore.

Looks like someone needs to update their email address.

Inb4someonecallsopinionsblasphemy tongue.png

roflbot.jpg

GanonLightingwmv.gif

CD-i%20Link.jpg

In any case... stories bring down 15% of the grade? ._." Yikes, that's not all that good. Not the story, but... Platforming titles? Stories shouldn't be that big a priority. Then again, we were used to Sonic having epic stories (not epic as in fangasmically amazing, but epic as in grand and complex, in a sense) up until Colours.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno about you guys, but I enjoyed the cheese that was Sonic Colors' story script.

By the way, all of you peoples' opinions are blasphemy.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd hate to add in regarding the story discussion seeing as it's gone in for so long, but truly, this is an anniversary game with the main excuse of delicious fan appeal, whether a fan who's fallen out or like us who's been with Sonic the whole time.

Honestly, the story is going to be pretty simple with what we're given to judge on. Sonic goes back in time, lets revisit old stages! Beat up whoever Time Eater is. It's a simplistic story, and some might find that lazy, or even "moronic", like we've seen noted by a review or two. It'll probably be love it or hate it just like Colors, I'm going to guess.

All I care about is how much we get to "dialogue" nods from previous games, and honestly, we've had some bad dialogue ever since Adventure 1. I EXPECT and WANT bad dialogue! I want to see them poke fun at all the silly lines we've witnessed since Sonic and co. can talk, that's all the comedic gold Colors writers need right there, really.

Just my two cents, anyways. Hope to keep seeing 8.0+ reviews! ^.^

Edited by RhikoruNa
  • Thumbs Up 6

I agree with A Rooftree in Spagonia. How have they "failed" when the Colours dialogue and storyline was praised more than the storyline of basically ANY Sonic game before hand? It's hardly a mistake, especially since it's controversial. Plenty of people liked it, plenty of people hated it. I for one thought that Colours had the best storyline and writing in any Sonic game ever. Most Sonic games just make me nod in disapproval at how stupid the dialogue sounds, especially in games where to tone is trying to be serious like the Adventure titles and 06. However, Colours' dialogue actually made me smile for the most part. There were a few cringe worthy lines, but all in all it was suitable and light hearted.

But that's just me. I'm just saying they're hardly bad writers when plenty of people like them.

This...I just can't take Sonic seriously when the tone is all serious (especially 06). I like my light-hearted stories

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 3

You guys are all freaking out like it's going to ruin the game for you if the story is bad. I never played Sonic games for story, I play them because I like the gameplay of them. Story does not make a game, the gameplay does. Sure, it's a part, but it takes second banana to how the game actually plays. Myself, I don't give a crap about the story, because that's not why I play games in general. So as long as the gameplay is good (which it 99% likely will be) I just don't care.

EDIT: Some people already said stuff like this, so NINGA'd.

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to say, in the age of metacritic and accumulated rankings...I hate five point rating scales. Almost all games will get 4/5 or 3/5...and you're talking a 20% differential in rating for every point. One point off means 60%, 80% or 100%. It's too imprecise. I prefer the 100 point scale, or at least ten.

Accumulated rankings have always been a terrible idea to me, btw. Different people use different rating scales, and people should use their own subjectivity instead of jumbling everything together in a pot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Take a look at Empire's reviewing scale.

5 - Classic

4 - Excellent

3 - Good

2 - Fair

1 - Tragic

Sonic Generations is "Excellent" and is on par with the likes of Forza 4 and RAGE.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I dunno about you guys, but I enjoyed the cheese that was Sonic Colors' story script.

By the way, all of you peoples' opinions are blasphemy.

I see wut ya did thar.

Also i agree with RhikoruNa. I want to see some lines talking about the old times.

Sonic: Hey look remember that guy?

PChaos: RAWWWWWWWR!!!

Tails: Oh memories. :)

Sonic: Yeah i know...i bet i can take him while in Normal form now.

Tails: Oh you remembered to bet this time :D

Sonic: ;)

• Thumbs Up 6

5 - Classic

4 - Excellent

3 - Good

2 - Fair

1 - Tragic

Sonic Generations is "Excellent". Generations is on par with the likes of Forza 4 and RAGE.

Now when you put it that way, Sonic Generations looks much better now :)

5 - Classic

4 - Excellent

3 - Good

2 - Fair

1 - Tragic

Sonic Generations is "Excellent" and is on par with the likes of Forza 4 and RAGE.

Except RAGE isn't even good.

I see wut ya did thar.

Also i agree with RhikoruNa. I want to see some lines talking about the old times.

Sonic: Hey look remember that guy?

PChaos: RAWWWWWWWR!!!

Tails: Oh memories. smile.png

Sonic: Yeah i know...i bet i can take him while in Normal form now.

Tails: Oh you remembered to bet this time biggrin.png

Sonic: wink.png

I got that referance! :D! Gimme Cookie! :P
  • Thumbs Up 1