Awoo.

The Sonic Generations Review Topic

Carbo

Welp, it was just one review by one guy, don't judge IGN Destructoid as a whole you guys. It's a crime to be mad at a review that was so long ago, let it go, ect. *trollfaec*

• Thumbs Up 1

@Voyant

Knuckles: Don't get carried away

We haven't even hit the major publications yet, lets just pray for calm seas.

Edited by Soniman032-

Four reviews really, and there's no point in silly observations like those.

Gamereactor is going to have their review of Generations up October 31. Just thought I'd give that heads up.

While it's great to see the game get an 8.5, I am a little puzzled when the critic says it's "one of the best" Sonic games in the last decade. Beyond SA2 (which is on the very cusp of the decade), has there actually been a game that's remotely compared to everything we've been given in Generations? Absolutely not. I'm not saying the game is total perfection but it's damn close by all accounts...so why can't the critic just put the ego aside and grant the game the praise it deserves. It IS the best GD Sonic game in 10 years! No contest!

Regardless of what you think of the rolling/physics, the level selection or anything else, no other Sonic game can begin to compare. I just always find it funny that a lot of reviewers have a difficult time giving credit where credit is due...and I don't limit this view strictly to Sonic titles...it's almost as if they're afraid to proclaim anything that might be considered a rave.

• Thumbs Up 3

While it's great to see the game get an 8.5, I am a little puzzled when the critic says it's "one of the best" Sonic games in the last decade. Beyond SA2 (which is on the very cusp of the decade), has there actually been a game that's remotely compared to everything we've been given in Generations? Absolutely not. I'm not saying the game is total perfection but it's damn close by all accounts...so why can't the critic just put the ego aside and grant the game the praise it deserves. It IS the best GD Sonic game in 10 years! No contest!

Regardless of what you think of the rolling/physics, the level selection or anything else, no other Sonic game can begin to compare. I just always find it funny that a lot of reviewers have a difficult time giving credit where credit is due...and I don't limit this view strictly to Sonic titles...it's almost as if they're afraid to proclaim anything that might be considered a rave.

Edited by Time Eater
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just find it incredibly pointless when a platformer game gets marked down just because they didn't like the story. I feel that a platformer's story shouldn't really distract you from the actual gameplay. But certain games like Batman Arkham City, Uncharted 3, Gears of war, etc need to have a good plot or story to compliment with the gameplay. But here's a question: has any popular platforming franchise like

Mario, Sonic, Kirby actually had a great story to go along with it? I really can't think of any at the moment

This actually makes sense somewhat, platformers have never been exactly story heavy so why give it a score based on it? Nobody questions why Mario saves Peach all the time.

Actually I'd more point out that Sonic essentially forces the story onto you. You can't avoid it. It is there. Where as Mario very, very, VERY rarely in standard affairs does anything more than "Rawr I'm Bowser BRB Princess Napping", it provides context without being intrusive. And as I said, they will have to take the story into account, as someone else said, it's part of the complete package that, in this case, would be Sonic Generations.

People have begun parodying it, and at the same time wonder why the hell Peach ends up getting captured most of the time because of how redundant it's gotten...they don't ever mark it down tho, as odd as you'd find that.

Nintendo themselves parody Peach getting kidnapped. It's not that the story is repetitive, or the same, that would be a problem. It's if they kept pushing it on you.

I admit that there is a little bias, mostly fuelled by nostalgia in Sonic reviews. It's quite clear they just want the 2D games and that's it 99% of the time.

Welp, it was just one review by one guy, don't judge IGN Destructoid as a whole you guys. It's a crime to be mad at a review that was so long ago, let it go, ect. *trollfaec*

I like Destructoid and I use it as my main video game news source, but when it comes to Jim Sterling I avoid his articles. It seems everything he writes or films is tailor-made to piss people off. I rember when he made a video in which he said all classic games (not just Sonic) are shit and that people only like them because of nostalgia.  He's there just to be controversial and controversy is a good way to get a lot of attention.

*stands like Hans Gruber at the start of Die Hard*

Ladies and gentlemen.... Ladies and gentlemen...

Now I had a look in a few places for the December issue of " the issue which is believed to have this mini review thing on generations.

Alas, the issue doesn't appear to be out yet. I suspect it'll be in stores by friday since the subscribers aparently have it. But it's not yet in the shops.

So there you have it.

Now... Where is Mr Takagi?

Edited by Hogfather

I don't know why everyone is worried about the IGN review. As far as I'm aware, Jack DeVries is reviewing it and he is a huge Sonic fan, so I can't see it getting unfairly blasted by them

I think that a game like Sonic Generations getting an 8.5 and 8 in 2011 & in October, November packed with HUGE releases is awesome. If you look at the competition there is in November(and October), it's just unbelievable. U3, MW3, BF3, Batman, Revelations, Mario, Zelda and other games.

What i'm trying to say is that 3 years ago the no-Sonic fans didn't have much of a respect for our blue blur. He was just around for them

Things changed this year. Sonic Team has managed to create a game that goes against that big names and compare to them. He might not win but he gives a run for their money. "Hey look it's Sonic." "Wow that is awesome!" "You remember that?"

I even saw 2 comments in a video about Uncharted saying that this, BF3, Zelda and Sonic will be epic.

Let's not put our brains over our heads and think straight. ;)

• Thumbs Up 5

Actually I'd more point out that Sonic essentially forces the story onto you. You can't avoid it. It is there. Where as Mario very, very, VERY rarely in standard affairs does anything more than "Rawr I'm Bowser BRB Princess Napping", it provides context without being intrusive. And as I said, they will have to take the story into account, as someone else said, it's part of the complete package that, in this case, would be Sonic Generations..

Dude, there is a start button, if you don't give a damn about the plot, skip it, Jesus, do people forget you don;t have to look at a cutscene if you don't care about it?

• Thumbs Up 3

Dude, there is a start button, if you don't give a damn about the plot, skip it, Jesus, do people forget you don;t have to look at a cutscene if you don't care about it?

This. Story is only bad in a platformer when it's intrusive to the detriment of the rest of the game (as in, so much focus on it the gameplay suffers, and even then, it might be slightly forgiven if the story is really good), and when, on first time playthroughs, it has long unskippable scenes of bullshit. It's why Metroid: Other M was so reviled. It's like the Sonic 06 of Metroid, only nowhere near as bad. And that got like 7s and 8s from a fair few places. I'm sure Generations can do better.

Edited by Semi-colon e

There's also City Escape vids. But this really isn't the topic to be posting them in. Let's take it to the new video topic.

The player is horrendous, but the music is just gorgeous. It just sounds beautiful and the few rock elements make it even better. I'm really impressed how this turned out.

My Dog could play better than that :/

LMAO! They better not blame their lack of skill on the game...like a certain someone.

In other news...DAT 3D PLATFORMING!!!

Edited by KrazyBean14