Awoo.

Skullgirls! 2ND Encore! Latest: Robo Fortune and a freaking train stage you heathens

LunarEdge

I was hoping for Minette but oh well. I liked Eliza's fighting style a lot so she'll be really fun to use.

Yeah she sounds fun to use and it's nice to have (even more) different nationalities being represented in the game c: plus her story sounds extremely interesting and I may have been a little biased in that account.

I'm going back to being apathetic about Skullgirls.

This is a very Tumblr-like reaction tho.

Are Squigly, Big Band, Robo-Fortune and the next dlc character vote really not gonna cut it?

If you're worried about Eliza being badly balanced, Mike is really dedicated about this kind of thing, Like painstakingly. He would sooner drop the theorized gimmicks altogether than let the game be unbalanced.

Edited by SuperLink

Yeah she sounds fun to use and it's nice to have (even more) different nationalities being represented in the game c: plus her story sounds extremely interesting and I may have been a little biased in that account.

This is a very Tumblr-like reaction tho.

Are Squigly, Big Band, Robo-Fortune and the next dlc character vote really not gonna cut it?

If you're worried about Eliza being badly balanced, Mike is really dedicated about this kind of thing, Like painstakingly. He would sooner drop the theorized gimmicks altogether than let the game be unbalanced.

Chooch is more of a character design guy iirc

Oh I understand then since Eliza's design is hardly my favourite.

But I think there's a good chance for a character who's a lot more interesting to win the second round.

i.e. there's no way that Annie and Minette's fanbases are going anywhere. Part of me hopes the final round will be totally different this time but it could happen.

On that note, I'll be supporting Isaac and Scythana (as usual), Feng, and Venus next time. With some support for Umbrella, Samson or Black Dahlia if those guys don't make it.

Edited by SuperLink

Eliza won? Even though Annie was my choice for the finals, I ain't complaining. In fact, I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Eliza plays with her blood powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Squigly is a cool and interesting character with a nice character design (I will at least try her out), but I couldn't care less about Big Band or Robo-Fortune being added to the roster of playable characters. Robo-Fortune uses the base of an existing playable character and they confirmed that the differences between her and regular Fortune will not be as large as those between Robo-Ky and Ky Kiske. That does not excite me. Simple as that.

Eliza's character design and gameplay mechanics do not resonate with me. At least a character like Minette or Annie might be a little more interesting even if we'd just be getting more girls. I was really pushing for another male character like Stanley, Brain Drain or Beowulf but there were too many people with the "it's Skullgirls hurr" mentality to ever give them a fighting chance. The one male character we're guaranteed to get is the lamest one sans Adam.

For me, one of Skullgirls' main weaknesses has always been its very polarizing art style and weak character designs. The DLC character vote was the perfect opportunity to bring in a playable character other than Peacock that actually appealed to me a considerable amount. It didn't happen. Based on the voting for the first DLC character, it's not likely that the next DLC character vote will be any different at all whatsoever.

I bought this game day one on a whim with hopes that I'd really come to love it, but the combination of questionable gameplay mechanics and weak character designs completely put me off of it after a few weeks. I haven't actually touched the game in several months and there hasn't been any reason to.

The competitive scene for the game is practically nonexistent and most of the people who care about this game at all are more concerned with the art style / character designs and whatever contrived story Alex Ahad puts together than the actual gameplay mechanics.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I am in the minority and that I'll never get anything I want in regards to this game so there's no point in having continued interest in it.

Edited by Chooch

The community seems to have gone out of their way to eliminate the most interesting characters from this list.  No Science Shark or phone mechs or character twice the size of all the others or floating brainopath.  

I'm among those who never understood what was so interesting about Stanley besides "le science shark XD ffuuu" meme potential.

He's not important to anything and was only considered due to fan demand :?

(I do think Molly's mech is awesome though)

But does no one else think an ancient Egyptian with an interesting connection to parasites and the Skullheart as well as a bloody (haha) cool parasite of her own is interesting at all? Maybe it's just me :?

Edited by SuperLink

Considering that Skullgirls never really had an interesting story to begin with, that Eliza fits into your stereotypical Alex Ahad design with her basically looking like Cerebella's Egyptian older sister, Mike saying he would have real trouble balancing her and the team saying that they'd likely have to change her blood to sand because of pre-established age restrictions, my personal answer at least would be no.

Mike saying he would have real trouble balancing her and the team saying that they'd likely have to change her blood to sand because of pre-established age restrictions.

Mike never said that, and the team implied it may be an issue but may not be.

Comments from Salty Cupcakes often get quoted out of context and then everyone takes them out of proportion. Far more times than Mike's said "that might be weird cause I imagined her as a boss character" he's asserted "I didn't like MsFortune or Peacock at all either and I did some awesome work on them and I will do everything to the best of my ability to balance this game and give each character the development care they deserve because without the fans who paid for it I wouldn't even be able to do work I love on my own game".

Seriously, over the months that's the one thing Mike has asserted, never has he felt the need to make any kind of official statement that some characters would be treated better than others, and even if he has his own biases he still wants to do everything he can to balance them.

That's just hanging yourself up over one potential issue rather than the bigger picture.

One of the biggest reasons Eliza won was because of the influx of voters who lost all of their characters and were fed up with all the "waifu/moefags" that voted for characters like Annie and Minette, who were largely leading the pack prior. Eliza was the only "bad ass" character left for them to vote for and an easy glance on a substantial number of boards show people treating her as an escapist character.

I can't even recall any scenario when Eliza's mechanics were in any way made a big deal until just recently if only to serve an excuse for people to vote for her. Aeon was kind of a non-character who slipped into the finals by the skin of her teeth while almost all the excitement was around Annie, who in practice was practically Sol Badguy. People played up Minette to some degrees as well because of her circumstantial and unconventional mechanics that'd also feature cameo appearances of other characters, making her possibly the most unique character in the roster. The only thing I can remember about Eliza is some people playing up her blood ability that might not even be blood in the final game, her relevance to the story that is probably the weakest part the entire game has to offer, and the fact that she looks like your typical tanned Egyptian queen fashionista.

I'm not hanging myself up on any issue, there isn't really an issue here.

To be honest I don't really understand her popularity either, but there are tons of characters I don't understand the popularity of, Stanley, Beowulf, Aeon, why were they so popular? Fans will be fans. If it wasn't Eliza who made it, then people would have hypocritically voted for someone like husbando-potential Beowulf simply to get back at the "waifu fags" instead. All characters have interesting points, and all fans will have kneejerk reactions to their favourite characters not making it, that was always going to happen and ultimately it is, yes, a popularity contest and like real popularity it's skewed by context and circumstance. Sometimes those reasons are shallow, and yes there were people voting characters in without knowing a thing about their moveset or personality, simply for their looks (or being waifu/husbando material). Was that the reason I backed Eliza? Hell no, but I don't feel like feeling bad for liking the sound of her parasite and moveset simply because a potential majority voted for her based on appearance or spite. That's not my fault and it's not the developers' fault either.

And Eliza's been made a relatively big deal out of for quite a while, people knew about her before her silhouette was even revealed and she hasn't even been in the game's story yet, this is because she's been in a lot of shown concept art over the years, and since she was revealed Mike has shown excitement on working mechanics on her aswell. The blood ability is also just one small part of an entire moveset, a moveset that would be just as unique as any other character's in the game.

Sure her design isn't the most original there is, but her moveset shows potential and I do know people who are intrigued by the story (including myself). Considering her parasite is a skeletal entity who is normally completely inside her but can leave at will, there's tons of potential for interesting moves there.

and;

d363209a80e0d1e02d1ade7b2b9f565b.png?136

This goes for every possible character there is, Annie being like Sol Badguy wasn't concrete, nor was Stanley's moveset being filled with memes, or Minette's moveset being like Phoenix Wright's. They'll make what works and what feels good in context of the game, Mike knows what he's doing.

Edited by SuperLink

You don't want Minette to throw a tray on her finished opponents body and go "DINNER IS SERVED!"? Because I do (that was a fan made thing btw).

I have nothing against Minette (or Annie for that matter) and would have been happy if she won, but a ton of people do for similar reasons people have against Eliza.

Unfortunately.

Eliza was always planned to be in Skullgirls anyway, she would've got in the game one way or another, Same is said for Scythanna (a.k.a Myrine), Venus, Black Dahlia, Annie, Ilume (a.k.a Corkscrew), and Mrs.Victoria/D.Violet, Anyone who's explored Alex Ahad's concept stuff on Pub.Tenkuu and various other sites know who were attended for the game.

As far as the male's are concerned, Leduck, Panzarfaust, and Brain Drain were the only one's that were known.

Naturally The main original 8 were Filia, Squigly, Cerebella, Peacock, Parasoul, Umbrella, Ms. Fortune and Painwheel. Valentine, Double and Marie were the non-playable bosses, in similar manner to Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M.Bison in the original Street Fighter 2. The only reason why Squigly and Umbrella were cut from the final games initial rooster was due to their move set's being incomplete at the time, plus Reverge Labs getting shutdown halted their progress on Squigly. 

The original DLC characters were SUPPOSED to be Squigly, Umbrella, and Marie in order to have all the original characters in the game, but for whatever reason, Big Band and Robo Fortune took the supposed spots for Umbrella and Marie (which I find kinda odd cause those two were greatly requested along with Squigs).

• Thumbs Up 1

Big Band was put in since people really wanted a male character sooner, and Robo-Fortune was chosen because she would be far cheaper to make, more of a bonus than anything. They're essentially making 5 characters for the price of 4, using odds and ends to make Robo-Fortune her own sprites and movesets and stuff.

Well I can understand Robo Fortune being easy to make (and I do hope she shares Robo Ky's insanity and crazy moves as well).

Big Band is cool but he's a rather stupid decision as the first go-to male character, partially because his design easily makes him susceptible for a Samus Aran plot twist and the fact that he barely serves any relation to anything.

I'm among those who never understood what was so interesting about Stanley besides "le science shark XD ffuuu" meme potential.

He's not important to anything and was only considered due to fan demand :?

Why the fuck do people always have to go out of their way to justify wanting science shark while other characters get away for free?

Stanley falls into the same line of appeal as a character like Minette because he is weird and unconventional. It's one of the only character designs made by Alex Ahad that I don't think is boring or utter shit.

"He's not important to anything" is a fucking laughable point because Eliza has fuck all to do with anything in the current story but you voted for her anyway. At least Stanley actually was involved in Anti-Skullgirl Lab 8 along with Peacock. He's on the same level as Hive, Leduc, Ileum and everyone else who is in the background of that stage. You know who else is in the background of that stage? Big Band, our second planned DLC character!

The short answer as to why I want Stanley? I like guns and gadgets. In the past, I was heavily focused on playing purely offensive oriented characters but in more recent fighting game titles have gravitated toward using more defensive ones. I still prefer offense, but I've come to appreciate and enjoy playing a bit of zoning and keepaway since characters who use guns and gadgets almost always fit that archetype in fighting games.

Of all twelve additional characters added in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I was by far the most interested in Rocket Raccoon and I also play Chris Redfield a lot in Marvel for more or less the same reasons.

In Skullgirls, my interest is almost exclusively centered around Peacock; a character that depends entirely on her huge arsenal of deadly gadgets and contraptions so others can't lay a finger on her. Stanley looks to be a really nice compliment to her and I'd enjoy playing the two of them together. Nothing wrong with a bit of boxing thrown into the mix either. I like any character that's even vaguely reminiscent of Ratchet from the Ratchet and Clank series since he's one of my favorite fictional characters.

I think he's cool and he'd be fun to play. I also thought it might have been nice to have another male character. It's not like that can't be a reason.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Big Band is cool but he's a rather stupid decision as the first go-to male character, partially because his design easily makes him susceptible for a Samus Aran plot twist and the fact that he barely serves any relation to anything.

Big Band is someone I don't care for story-wise or character design wise (he's kinda cute in some of the concept art but that's it)

But even if he wasn't being made I'd vote for him anyway because his concept moves sound fuckin awesome, I can't say no to a character whose fighting could sound like improvisational jazz, that sounds like it'd be the most fun thing in a fighting game ever.

Why the fuck do people always have to go out of their way to justify wanting science shark while other characters get away for free?

None get away for free, this is pretty much illustrating my point even more. Anyone could pick a character from the list and pick a "lame reason to choose them" and a "reason to be angry that they were chosen". Any character at all; and it was inevitable no matter who the winner is.

Stanley falls into the same line of appeal as a character like Minette because he is weird and unconventional. It's one of the only character designs made by Alex Ahad that I don't think is boring or utter shit.

Different strokes, I find him a little dull design-wise and I'm not enamoured by his moveset either. Which is the difference between him and Eliza, I don't care for her design at all (besides the parasite idea) but her move ideas sold me on her long ago.

"He's not important to anything" is a fucking laughable point because Eliza has fuck all to do with anything in the current story but you voted for her anyway. At least Stanley actually was involved in Anti-Skullgirl Lab 8 along with Peacock. He's on the same level as Hive, Leduc, Ileum and everyone else who is in the background of that stage. You know who else is in the background of that stage? Big Band, our second planned DLC character!

Current story? The current story isn't even canon, it may just be me but I at least would love some insight into the bigger picture and Eliza could really do that, I don't feel like waiting for Skullgirls 3 or 4 (games that'll probably never happen) to get a little more intrigue on the already-existing mythos. I love Peacock too, but Stanley was literally only a background character until fans picked him out. Maybe his story will be cool, but I don't see it being particularly related to any characters' development when most of the plot has been in Ahad's head for 10+ years and Stanley only even got his own identity within the last 6 months. Is all. I picture it being a semi-humorous story like Robo-Fortunes, and joke stories are cool when it's optional and all the important story is already on the platter but I want to see more of the plot, personally. That's just me though.

I think he's cool and he'd be fun to play. I also thought it might have been nice to have another male character. It's not like that can't be a reason.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a good reason, I just said I personally couldn't understand what was so popular about him besides the memeness, and you clearly have your valid reasons for voting him but I feel like most people who did only voted him because he was a shark in a labcoat.

And heck that's valid too, like I said every potential winner is going to have people voting for them for potentially daft reasons, that's popularity. I'm happy Eliza won, if people voted her because she's a mature lady to counter the moegirls then that's kind of stupid, but I voted for her because I like her move and story concepts. I'm sure you wouldn't be mad about Stanley winning even if most of the voters were just people who wanted to make shark-jumping (pun intended) Skullgirls ragecomics.

I could've chosen one of the goddesses because they're "hot" but I didn't. Why? Because they didn't sound that interesting to use in a fighting game. I don't care about their story or design, I just want to play a really solid fighter with diverse characters.

On that note, I've wanted Venus or Aeon to be playable ever since I saw them in the cliffhanger cutscene because they really intrigued me, Venus' gameplay concepts sound awesome too.

But after all the hate they get I decided to not back them rly. (also because Venus is a little too risqué for my liking even if her parasite sounds awesome)

EDIT: I'm actually watching last week's Salty Cupcakes atm and the team were literally talking about how annoying they and Mike were that places were apparently reporting his like month old comments on Aeon being tough to balance as a new thing despite how he's come on multiple times since then to say he'd be able to balance her fine.

Ya'll should watch Salty Cupcakes more often Mike's not nearly as incompetent as people seem to think sometimes.

Edited by SuperLink