Awoo.

Sonic Generations on PC [Officially Confirmed - Page 7]

Iridescent WP

Look closely at the first teapot. You see there are jagged edges. And it doesn't look that smooth if looked up close. Now look at the second teapot. Very little, if any jagged edges and overall, looks more smooth.

Even I can see that from a glance.

I also wonder if it will use FXAA.

It took a full thirty seconds of staring before I barely noticed it.

You're welcome! The difference it makes it huge. See, the console versions of Generations don't run at a very high res. They're just upscaled which itself make a blurry picture and then coupled with the lack of filtering and such it looks messy. Very very pretty, but messy. This is the standard for most game actually. PC versions however, due to the lack of a limit on what the hardware can handle, can run at super high resolutions, don't need a framerate cap and can have all the filtering in the world. The settings are usually all customisable.

Uh... look at the big white shine in the middle, and how rough all the edges are on the left, and how they're all smooth on the right.

Oh man i feel really bad that i don't have a really good PC. More like crappy is a better description.

Having said that though the console version looks really good too and we haven't see a finished build.

Edited by frokenok3

It took a full thirty seconds of staring before I barely noticed it.

Get your eyes checked.

divinity2-anti-aliasing.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Get your eyes checked.

divinity2-anti-aliasing.jpg

That was a much better example. The teapot was rather simple, but with something more complex I noticed it right away.

I also don't appreciate you being rude to me. I do not need to get my eyes checked, as I am currently wearing contact lenses.

Even so, I think you should apologize for being so immature.

That was a much better example. The teapot was rather simple, but with something more complex I noticed it right away.

I also don't appreciate you being rude to me. I do not need to get my eyes checked, as I am currently wearing contact lenses.

Even so, I think you should apologize for being so immature.

It was sarcasm- a joke. No need to be so sensitive. And it's kinda strange that you could barely notice a difference. Jagged edges are the bane of pixels.

It was sarcasm- a joke. No need to be so sensitive. And it's kinda strange that you could barely notice a difference. Jagged edges are the bane of pixels.

In my defense, I have only had to intently study a teapot on two or three other occasions.

Another example of the differences AA makes, this time in a game from Sonic Team that was released back in 2006, Phantasy Star Universe.

No anti-aliasing:

http://img694.images...365/psunoaa.jpg

4x anti-aliasing turned on in the drivers settings:

http://img683.images...018/psu4xaa.jpg

The most noticeable differences are in the green "wings" in the character and the lines in the ground (lines circling the center area).

Edited by ezodagrom

SEGA have just announced that a boxed version will be available later in November in Europe only

No news on whether they will do a Collector's Edition or any word on the DLC. I'd guess no on the former and yes on the latter

Edited by SimplePlan2k8

Source

5631797900_06bd22fb7d.jpg

It’s been the best-kept secret* in gaming this year, but we’re delighted to (finally!) confirm that Sonic Generations will be released on PC and available via SEGA’s partners for PC digital download in November this year. Sonic Generations is the ultimate celebration of 20 years of Sonic the Hedgehog and sees SEGA’s iconic mascot racing through a brand new adventure as both the much loved classic 1991 character, and the modern day video game hero he has become today.

Sonic Generations for PC digital includes Steamworks features such as Steam Cloud, which allows save files to be stored on Steam’s servers so you can resume your game progress from any PC. As with the other console platforms, Sonic Generations will be available to play in full stereoscopic 3D and will contain Achievements and online leaderboards. The PC version will also support resolutions up to 1080p.

Sonic Generations will be available via PC digital download as well as Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 on November 1st in North America and November 4th in Europe. There will also be a boxed version of the PC version available only in Europe later in November.

*this is sarcasm.

First off, I LOVE the joke they put in there. Even they're acknowledging how awful a secret it was. Secondly, I'm SO holding out for the boxed version!

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

You guys don't even know what graphic whoring is. XD

Although a nice rough example has been given in the thread, here is a detailed article on the process of anti-aliasing. It's used extensively in 2D imaging as well, and essentially its role in graphics is to undo the damage breaking an image down into a complex set of dots does to the clarity of the image by carefully blending the edges of overlapping objects (including the background) together. As the article and the examples in this thread demonstrate, merging the two objects together carefully at their edges fools the eye into thinking they're both present in that particular pixel to some degree when the image is viewed as a whole.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

Although a nice rough example has been given in the thread, here is a detailed article on the process of anti-aliasing. It's used extensively in 2D imaging as well, and essentially its role in graphics is to undo the damage breaking an image down into a complex set of dots does to the clarity of the image by carefully blending the edges of overlapping objects (including the background) together. As the article and the examples in this thread demonstrate, merging the two objects together carefully at their edges fools the eye into thinking they're both present in that particular pixel to some degree when the image is viewed as a whole.

Edited by ezodagrom
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't think the US would get a boxed release after what happened with Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. I do feel bad for you guys :(

I can imagine just how annoying it is for you that the Americas (not just the US tongue.png) are getting left out of all this awesome. You don't get the LE or CE, and now you're unable to get a retail release of the PC version without importing. This really must be a case of nothing more than supply and demand. Eesh. Feel sorry for you guys.

I'm not much of a CE guy, and if I ever feel the need to play the PC version I shouldn't have any problems with downloading it (since I'll have a physical copy of the 360 version to satisfy my inner collector), so luckily I don't have much to worry about here. Pity, though, for anyone 'round these parts who was really hoping for any of that stuff.

Damn it! I was hoping for a retail release. I mean, a digital download is fine, but I just prefer having a physical disk, box, and manual with my games. Heck, almost all of my PC games were bought at retail. Oh well, still getting the 360 version. And when I get my credit card, then I'll get the PC version.

Guess I'm going with the PC version, couldn't care less about a box to take up more of my dwindling shelf space.

• Thumbs Up 1