Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

2D game, 3D graphics.

I'm pretty sure that's not what they meant. In interpreted it as meaning it's both a 2D and a 3D game. As in classic levels are 2D and modern are 3D. Or possibly the fact the modern levels have 2D and 3D gameplay. Probably a bit of both.

06 is still brought up in discussion, and that was 5 years ago. It doesn't matter about how long ago it was; unlike Labyrinth; 06,Shadow, and Unleashed were mainstream games that actually got spotlight and are definitely stains on the record for the series that it will never live down. It can try to improve and move forward, or it can keep on hiding behind nostalgia like it has of late with another subpar game: Sonic 4.

It's not Hiding Behind Nostalgia as it is Return to Form.

And even so, we're not acting as if they didn't happen, we're trying to say they need to get the fuck over something that's finished and the franchise has moved upon. You don't see them mentioning anything other than negatives about what they're bashing, so it's already a lopsided viewpoint anyway.

While it's true it's a record the franchise will never live down, can't we forgive and forget when we've had great games from Sonic Last Year and this year?

• Thumbs Up 1

06 is still brought up in discussion, and that was 5 years ago. It doesn't matter about how long ago it was; unlike Labyrinth; 06,Shadow, and Unleashed were mainstream games that actually got spotlight and are definitely stains on the record for the series that it will never live down. It can try to improve and move forward, or it can keep on hiding behind nostalgia like it has of late with another subpar game: Sonic 4.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a mainstream game? It seems like some people don't want this series to move forward and want it to mostly rely on nostalgia to the point that they use games like Unleashed and Sonic 06 as a reason why this franchise can't do anything interesting or original anymore.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a mainstream game? It seems like some people don't want this series to move forward and want it to mostly rely on nostalgia to the point that they use games like Unleashed and Sonic 06 as a reason why this franchise can't do anything interesting or original anymore.

Well they're wrong on both counts, you want interesting and original? Play Sonic Colors. This however is an ANNIVERSARY game, the entire point of which is to enduce nostalgia and look back on Sonic's past 20 years.

Edited by Soniman032-

Wrong on both counts, you want interesting and original? Play Sonic Colors. This however is an ANNIVERSARY game, the entire point of which is to enduce nostalgia and look back on Sonic's past 20 years.

Duh, I know that this is an anniversary title and it's a huge throwback of Sonic's 20 years. I'm not stupid. I'm saying that after this game I hope they make more original titles like what they did with Sonic Colors, it took some nostalgia and throwbacks from older games and it's not trying so hard to be classic game. I don't want this series to rely heavily on nostalgia to get by.

Edited by sonfan1984

Fixed. And from what I know, Shadow is mainstream. It finishes off Shadow's story from SA2 and Heroes.

Fixed. And from what I know, Shadow is mainstream. It finishes off Shadow's story from SA2 and Heroes.

He ment mainstream, as in a game that the mainstream audience likes.

He ment mainstream, as in a game that the mainstream audience likes.

When did the mainstream audience ever liked Shadow?

Heaven forbid that IGN staffers state facts about not needing to worry about Werehog or silly gimmicks.

I can't believe you guys are picking apart a video log of all things, a spur of the moment capture.

I think people are annoyed that IGN talking about completely irrelevant things. Why are they talking about Big? That was over 10 years ago. The franchise has already grown out of adding completely pointless additions to the game. They're acting like the franchise still does it, when it doesn't.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Woah chill out guys. I don't recall this topic even having anything to do with Shadow the hedgehog's game.

I think people are annoyed that IGN talking about completely irrelevant things. Why are we talking about Big? That was over 10 years ago. The franchise has already grew out of adding completely pointless additions to the game. They're acting like the franchise still does it, when it doesn't.

Sonic Chronicles - 2008 - Featured Big the Cat as a playable character.

Sonic Unleashed - 2008 - Featured the completely pointless Werehog addition.

Sonic 2006 - 2006 - Don't get me started.

Sega hasn't exactly learned from any of its mistakes, until very recently. The problems from 10 years ago have still be problems with the series, up until maybe Colors (debatable) and Generations (to be decided). Can't blame people for seeing Sonic as a "one step forward, two step back" franchise when they release a game like Sonic and the Secret Rings, and follow it up with Black Knight. Or finally coming up with a new method for controlling Sonic in 3D, and then making you play as a furry Kratos for half the game.

As fans, we're more cognizant of the good features of the latest games. But even we have to dig past some crap to find it. Can't blame others for not having as much patience with the games and the series as we do.

Note: I actually liked Black Knight a bit. But Stretch Armstrong the Furry can go die in a corner.

Oh please, that dosent count at all. It was an RPG.

Did Chronicles ever had you fishing as Big the Cat at all in that game? IGN is still talking about fishing levels like the recent Sonic titles still has them. Sonic Adventure is the only game that you're able to play as Big fishing and that was over 10 years ago.

Oh BTW, Big is also playable in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing but that don't matter cause the game is still awesome.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 2

We're kind of (Read: completely) off-topic, but I have to defend anyone who brings up the Werehog. Yes, it was 3 years ago, but it also happens to be from the last Sonic title on HD consoles. The last Sonic game most people played sucked thanks to a cheap gimmick and discussing that is totally reasonable.

If in another 2 years people are still biching about the werehog, then we'll talk.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh please, that dosent count at all. It was an RPG.

So a game doesn't count since it doesn't have the same gameplay as the main series? When most people's (read: reviewers) complaints are that the Sonic series won't stick to a single kind of gameplay?

Also, I'm not saying Big is a flaw on the franchise. Just that you act like the people who hate him still only hate him for one appearance 10 years ago.

I like Big. I even liked fishing with him. Doesn't mean OTHER people don't view him as a stain on the franchise.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 1

And THIS is why we'll never get alternate characters to play as in Modern day Sonic games...I personally don't mind at all (less hassle and risks for Sonic Team).

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like how people here are getting their panties in a bunch over a video IGN made with the intention of getting people excited for Sonic Generations.

Like it or not, the things they brought up were relavent. With the exception of Colors, just about every 3D Sonic game released since Heroes has either been critically panned, or had a gimmick attached to it with mixed results. Heroes had the team gimmick, Shadow had guns/cars, Sonic '06 just sucked flatout, Unleashed had the hubworlds and Werehog, and Colors had Wisps. Now, I liked a view of those games (Namely Heroes, Unleashed, and Colors), but that doesn't stop the fact that the general public did not (Besides Colors, again). When people think of Sonic, they don't think of hubworlds and Werehogs, they think of high-speed platforming and 2D gameplay, which is what Generations promises, and which is why IGN are telling people to get excited for this game.

The video they made was a GOOD THING.

• Thumbs Up 3