Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

Oh yeah, something that I didn't mention but I think it's worth noting.

When I was playing as Modern Sonic and nearing the end of the Green Hill Zone, theres a section where the path almost zig zags and it's quite a small are (literally only Sonic can fit on this section).

Whilst boosting in this area, if I held down the boost, yes Sonic goes fast... but he does grind against the wall... I'm convinced that this slows him down. When I tried it in later playthroughs, if I attempted to steer him away from the walls, it felt like I cleared that section much quicker than just holding down the boost.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hearing about these controls makes me very happy!

Agreed, although I do have maybe a few questions... *Sorry if they've been answered before!

• About Classic Sonic, how does jumping and controlling him in the air/enemy hopping feel? The PSN demo I played, he felt a little bit stiff, I found it jarring.
  • Is the spindash a but more refined? And at high speeds, everything is clear and not too blurry right?
  • In City Escape, how does Modern Sonic control in 3D open areas when trying to explore and move around?
  • Using the boost/Air Boost, is it easy to take control of Sonic? In Unleashed, using either made him fly around like a moist bar of soap.

Agreed, although I do have maybe a few questions... *Sorry if they've been answered before!

• About Classic Sonic, how does jumping and controlling him in the air/enemy hopping feel? The PSN demo I played, he felt a little bit stiff, I found it jarring.
  • Is the spindash a but more refined? And at high speeds, everything is clear and not too blurry right?
  • In City Escape, how does Modern Sonic control in 3D open areas when trying to explore and move around?
  • Using the boost/Air Boost, is it easy to take control of Sonic? In Unleashed, using either made him fly around like a moist bar of soap.

Yea to me classic sonic had weights on his ankles or something :/

Whilst boosting in this area, if I held down the boost, yes Sonic goes fast... but he does grind against the wall... I'm convinced that this slows him down. When I tried it in later playthroughs, if I attempted to steer him away from the walls, it felt like I cleared that section much quicker than just holding down the boost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Couple of questions as regards to Classic Sonic:

- Have the friction problems been fixed (i.e. the ones that meant that rolling for Classic Sonic wasn't too useful)?

- Is the spindash still really overpowered?

- Do springs still send you on a set path, restricting your horizontal movement?

- Does bouncing on an enemy still make you go at a set height? Or does it now make you go higher if you hit an enemy from higher?

Just a couple of concerns really. I highly doubt they'll detract too much from the overall amount of fun I will have when I get my greedy little paws on this game. These fan reviews that people have been posting have got me so hyped. I'm so glad that they've finally (again, just judging by the reviews) got the right middle ground for the controls and that they feel satisfying to you guys. Not too tight (like Unleashed and Colours) and not too slippery (like the Adventure titles).

ROLLING IS NOT GOING TO BE FIXED...I think bouncing on an enemy DOES NOT send you on a set height and the spindash is still overpowered and will not change.

Does Classic Sonic still feel like he's got a magnet in his arse when he jump? My brother who's not played a Sonic game since the old days just played the demo on my 360 and notice how heavy the jump was when he was doing just his run-through of GHZ.

Edited by Blue Blood

- Have the friction problems been fixed (i.e. the ones that meant that rolling for Classic Sonic wasn't too useful)?

- Do springs still send you on a set path, restricting your horizontal movement?

- Does bouncing on an enemy still make you go at a set height? Or does it now make you go higher if you hit an enemy from higher?

Just a couple of concerns really. I highly doubt they'll detract too much from the overall amount of fun I will have when I get my greedy little paws on this game. These fan reviews that people have been posting have got me so hyped. I'm so glad that they've finally (again, just judging by the reviews) got the right middle ground for the controls and that they feel satisfying to you guys. Not too tight (like Unleashed and Colours) and not too slippery (like the Adventure titles).

• I forgot to try out the spinning, sorry.
  • Spin dash is still overpowered in my opinion. You can skip over portions of City Escape by spin dash jumping. It shows the momentum stuff works, but I really don't think you should be able to skip over portions of a stage like that.
  • I didn't test this either, sorry.
  • Didn't test this either. I didn't jump on any enemies from a great height in my playthroughs.

Does Classic Sonic still feel like he's got a magnet in his arse when he jump? My brother who's not played a Sonic game since the old days just played the demo on my 360 and notice how heavy the jump was when he was doing just his run-through of GHZ.

Jumping still felt as bad as the Xbox Live/PSN demo to me.

- No, the rolling still feels weird. It slows you down quicker than it should imo.

- Yes, it's over-powered. You either rev once and go no-where or rev twice + and shoot for miles.

- Yes, I still saw this happen. You aren't able to move until you reach the top of the jump. The spring-board springs in City Escape are very scripted too; you can tip-toe onto them and they'll still send you flying at a fixed pace every time.

- I never noticed this at GAMEFest but Green Hill Zone felt the same as the demo.

• Thumbs Up 1

So i found out just now that a cousin went to the Eurogamer Expo and played Sonic Generations Classic and Modern City Escape. I called him to give me a detailed version of what are his impression of the game.

I'm waiting for him to call me back. :)

You should not have expected any of these to change. They haven't. The rolling definitely hasn't. The spin dash hasn't. I personally don't consider it overpowered. It just has a completely different purpose to the classics. It's really classic sonic's version of the boost now. I think springs are the same. As for bouncing, I never jumped on any from a height. It seems the same as the demo from before. I don't have a problem with the bouncing.

They didn't even bother to fix the jumping? That's a shame. There's no need for it to be so weighty. Rolling shouldn't have been crappy in the first place but it makes sense that they wouldn't change it so late.

I went to GAMEfest this year and to be honest... I don't think the rolling should be fixed. I like it the way it is. But that's just my opinion. :I

I was under the impression that a bunch of people who played it at other gatherings such as E3 said that the jumping was fixed.

At E3 the jumping definitely wasn't any different from the public demo. People have said that the enemy bouncing was fixed, but I haven't seen any proof of this. Not that it was broken in the first place, it was just different to the originals, and it worked well too. I was hoping that by now C.Sonic would have a little bit extra height and hang time though...

I went to GAMEfest this year and to be honest... I don't think the rolling should be fixed. I like it the way it is. But that's just my opinion. :I

It's kinda useless. If you start rolling (as in press down, not spindash) you lose speed very quickly. It defeat the whole purpose of rolling.

Edited by Blue Blood

That Meristation Preview mentioned being able to provide upgrades for Sonic.

It would be pretty awkward if they nerfed the rolling and jumping in order to provide something to upgrade....

I can see it now:

Improved Rolling (150 Rank Points) - Increases acceleration when rolling downhill

Improved Jumping (150 Rank Points) - Increases jump height and air-time

If that is indeed the case then.......WHY!?

I'm pretty sure I've heard people on Retro say that the jumping felt better, but I dunno. From the recent gameplay vids, it certainly looked better.

That Meristation Preview mentioned being able to provide upgrades for Sonic. It would be pretty awkward if they nerfed the rolling and jumping in order to provide something to upgrade.... I can see it now:

If that is indeed the case then.......WHY!?

Hello, SatSR!

Hm, I dunno. How exactly you'll be able to improve Sonic's abilities is a bit of a mystery right now. Everything works as we've seen it, it's just that not everything works well. At this rate though I'll be very happy if that does turn out to be the case just so that there is a way to play the game the way it should be played.

Okay...i got the info. Before i begin i should say that my cousin is not a great gamer and not a great Sonic gamer either. Let's begin:

Me: So what you think of Sonic Generations?

~Cousin: I love it. I don't play much games but i know for sure that i'm getting this game.

Me: Nice! So you played Classic and Modern City escape right? What you think?

~Cousin: Yep, i think both versions are great and very polished. Personally i liked better Modern...maybe the remix maybe the speed of Modern Sonic. I don't know but it was too awesome. I know that you're gonna love playing as Modern.

Me: Yeah i loved Unleashed after all. Eh...okay what you think of the Classic Sonic? rolling, jumping etc?

~Cousin: Hmm, i am not the best person to ask but i THINK(he really raised his voice here) jumping feels a little heavy...i don't know it might be just me but in any case i didn't feel like i had a hard time making a jump to a platform. Rolling now...from what you said to me it uncurls after a while. Yeah he still does that. Also spin-dash throws you miles away. lol

Me: Okay i see, well sounds great to me...anyway what about Modern Sonic?

~Cousin: Modern Sonic...man you gonna love modern Sonic! It's like a totally different experience from Unleashed. I played Unleashed and you remember very well how i couldn't control him. Yeah in Generations his controls are spot on. What i wanted him to do, he'll do it. He's jump is perfect in my opinion and when i boosted i felt like he was going faster than Unleashed but with more control. Anyway City Escape modern is awesome! Can't wait to play it again. The truck OMG!!! So scary...

Me: You sound really excited...

~Cousin: You bet i am.

Me: Anything else you got?

~Cousin: No i don't think so...if you remember something else just call me. Got to go. See ya dude.

Me: Sure okay bye.

Well there you got it. I don't know he sounded really excited to me. If you got any Q just let me know so i can ask him.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hello, SatSR!

Hm, I dunno. How exactly you'll be able to improve Sonic's abilities is a bit of a mystery right now. Everything works as we've seen it, it's just that not everything works well. At this rate though I'll be very happy if that does turn out to be the case just so that there is a way to play the game the way it should be played.

Apparently you get points for your ranks. You can then go to some shop and buy new/improved abilities using that "Chao Credit Card" with the points you've earned.

Apparently you get points for your ranks. You can then go to some shop and buy new/improved abilities using that "Chao Credit Card" with the points you've earned.

lol, I know how that works. I meant in what way is an improved ability different from the standard one? Like let's say you improved the jump. Would it just make it higher, or would it actually make it less heavy? And so on...

Me: Yeah i loved Unleashed after all. Eh...okay what you think of the Classic Sonic? rolling, jumping etc?

~Cousin: Hmm, i am not the best person to ask but i THINK(he really raised his voice here) jumping feels a little heavy...i don't know it might be just me but in any case i didn't feel like i had a hard time making a jump to a platform. Rolling now...from what you said to me it uncurls after a while. Yeah he still does that. Also spin-dash throws you miles away. lol

This thing about uncurling seems to be going unnoticed quite a bit. Sonic only uncurls on the ground if you hold left or right. It's simply so you don't have to come to a dead stop or jump to stop rolling. If you don't hold anything then he'll keep rolling until he's stopped.

• Thumbs Up 1

This thing about uncurling seems to be going unnoticed quite a bit. Sonic only uncurls on the ground if you hold left or right. It's simply so you don't have to come to a dead stop or jump to stop rolling. If you don't hold anything then he'll keep rolling until he's stopped.

Really? I didn't know about this. Now that you mentioned it i never let Sonic keep curling without pushing anything. I always hold right to keep going. :o

Really? I didn't know about this. Now that you mentioned it i never let Sonic keep curling without pushing anything. I always hold right to keep going. ohmy.png

It's actually a nice improvement, especially considering the fact that Generations rolling sucks. Once Sonic's speed drops below X, he starts running again. The other little change I like is the enemy bouncing. By always bouncing Sonic no lower than a minimum height into the air, you can use enemies as little platforms. It requires more skill than the homing attack and can't be abused either. They could add in Classic style bouncing as well, where if you hold the jump button down you return to the height you fell from. Cause you know, that was always awesome for shits and giggles.

Edited by Blue Blood

It's actually a nice improvement, especially considering the fact that Generations rolling sucks. Once Sonic's speed drops below X, he starts running again. The other little change I like is the enemy bouncing. By always bouncing Sonic no lower than a minimum height into the air, you can use enemies and little platforms. It requires more skill than the homing attack and can't be abused either. They could add in Classic style bouncing as well, where if you hold the jump button down you return to the height you fell from. Cause you know, that was always awesome for shits and giggles.

I always liked to keep pressing the jump button to go back to where i fell from. I'd like to have that back.

Dammit November is 1 month away. Patience is a virtue they say. I hope the whole Demo/October thing is real so we can play it a LOT until release. xD