Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

Going away from this discussion, one thing in that sort of bothers me in the new interview is Iizuka saying, "This game is supposed to show the whole history of Sonic, that's why it's not important to implement new ideas."

Although it is sort of funny. Another quote showing Iizuka's great interviewing skills. laugh.gif

He is, regrettably, right on this one.

Had something bombstically new been introduced in this game, then could you imagine the complaints? With a game like this, designed to take the very best of 20 years of Sonic, it is important that they aren't too reckless or heavy-handed with new ideas. It is easy to ruin nostalgia. Sonic 4 and the introduction of the homing attack, is the perfect example of this.

If I remember correctly Chemical Plant from Sonic 2 (my favorite Sonic game) consisted of me just running fast (Down Hallways) most of the time....the fact that Modern Sonic has that many alternate options right from the get go is crazy...I did not expect that at all since I knew Chemical Plant was to be a stage to show off the Speed in the game.

Sonic 2's "hallways" were quite empty...there were barely any enemies in that stage.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm happy you guys are happy with the 3D sections. I'm sorry if I'm coming off controversial or something by not liking them myself, but I can't change the way I feel :-/

I ain't trying to get you to change your opinion :( heck, I can honestly level with a lot of gripes people have with it. I'm just trying to find the root as to why it's so.. well, not hated, but frowned upon, to say the least. I'll admit: I'm not a fan of Modern Green Hill because invisible walls inhibit any sense of exploration, but beyond that, the other Modern levels look solid to me! With a sprinkle of open exploration with a dash of linear, high-speed running, a pinch of 2D platforming, and finally a slash of plenty of alternate routes to make it really feel like an all-around, all-purpose Sonic experience. Like I said, if I were at the helm, and there was just one Sonic playable, I would have made platforming even MORE of a focus, but the purpose of this game is to show 2 Sonics, both as different as possible, and making Modern Sonic the way he plays now is Sonic Team's best way to do that. That is my firm belief on the matter.

Again, it all just comes down to opinion I suppose. You can please some people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Likewise, some stuff almost always makes some people happy, but usually, everything isn't going to make everyone happy. It's just how this shit works =/

• Thumbs Up 2

Shadzter: The drift is definitely better. It doesn't send you flying anymore. It's actually useful. And it's fun to use in straight lines, pretending to be rolling( drunkly)ph34r.png

He is, regrettably, right on this one. Had something bombstically new been introduced in this game, then could you imagine the complaints? With a game like this, designed to take the very best of 20 years of Sonic, it is important that they aren't too reckless or heavy-handed with new ideas. It is easy to ruin nostalgia. Sonic 4 and the introduction of the homing attack, is the perfect example of this.

Eh, I guess, but I was thinking along the lines of Classic Sonic's skateboard, althought the newness of this is somewhat arguable. I'd have loved small new powerups, level gimmicks etc.

And I wish they would've added the Insta-Shield. sad.gif

Edited by MarcelloF

Seriously, guys. Isn't this supposed to be Chemical Plant of all things? You know, the supposedly fastest stage in the classics (bar Stardust Speedway, which is paired right with it for the Metal Sonic boss)?

And even then, there is alternate paths out of the wazoo.

• Thumbs Up 9

Shadzter: The drift is definitely better. It doesn't sendy you flying anymore. It's actually useful. And it's fun to use in straight lines, pretending to be rolling( drunkly)ph34r.png

Eh, I guess, but I meant stuff along the lines of Classic Sonic's skateboard, althought the newness of this is somewhat arguable. I'd have loved small new powerups, level gimmicks etc.

And I wish they would've added the Insta-Shield. sad.gif

Arguable cause of Sonic triple trouble. I'd like to have the insta-shield too even though i didn't use it at all back then. :P

Is it just me or are the classic stages more linear than the others? Seriously this better not happen with

SKY FREKIN SANCTUARY!!

angry.gif

Also Spagonia and seaside hill look like they'll have there 3d moments. In total how many seconds of both of those have we've seen? I think those ones will surprise us with lots of 3d areas. Especially seaside hill/ocean palace look at the original. They did that with CE and it plays better. They might have looked at the original ssh/op and made it better than the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it just me or are the classic stages more linear than the others? Seriously this better not happen with

SKY FREKIN SANCTUARY!!

angry.gif

Nah mate, if S-Team are on the job it'll probably be composed of massive bottomless pits and spontaneously collapsing footholds

yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like_ohno.jpg

At first, I lol'd, but then I remembered kingdom valley from 06...

Edited by Autoburstfire

Yeah, Chemical Plant is definitely not as linear as Green Hill was looking at the footage again. Of course getting those subtle alternate paths looks about as tough as the original's difficulty spike. xD But I'm definitely digging the final egg vibe moderns gives off.

And Co-op wasn't exactly confirmed, the fact that characters will appear in mini-games of sorts was. We have no idea what that implementation is however...

Yeah, Chemical Plant is definitely not as linear as Green Hill was looking at the footage again. Of course getting those subtle alternate paths looks about as tough as the original's difficulty spike. xD But I'm definitely digging the final egg vibe moderns gives off.

And Co-op wasn't exactly confirmed, the fact that characters will appear in mini-games of sorts was. We have no idea what that implementation is however...

He did say that they can appear in missions or minigames.

I think Chemical Plant looks pretty raw if I say so myself.. Also I'm glad CO-OP is confirmed! biggrin.gif

Now be unglad that is wasn't confirmed. There's no multiplayer, as has been confirmed many times, other characters just show up during particular missions. Sometime they work with your, sometime you work against them. For example...

in C.Green Hill you race against Knuckles, and in M.Green Hill you work with Tails in the Tornado.

Guys, great news...according to Nero Angel (a member of the SEGA Forums), spindashing for Classic Sonic CANNOT be spammed! If you attempt to spindash using the quick method whilst running (Square button for PS3 and X button for 360) you'll end up doing a roll instead of a spindash!

This is what he said

THis is me playing Sonic Generations at GC. Sorry, for bad Quality, my brother wasn't able hold the camera still.

Most bugs from the Old Demo are fixed! But the game has some Input Delay, So I haven't played like I wanted.

And now most important:

Yes, you can press square to spin dash, BUT YOU CAN'T use it while you are in motion, If you are in motion, you begin to ROLL!!!

And if you don't believe me, WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN, or better the part from 4:55 TO 5:02 and you see him ROLLING IN THIS SEGMENT! and I pressed SQAURE to do so!

Now you have to physically STOP Sonic before using a spindash, even if it's the Classic or Quick way! Awesome.

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 9

He did say that they can appear in missions or minigames.

Erm... not to be snarky but that's kinda what I said... Unless mini-game based cameos is your idea of 'co-op' I suppose.

Now be unglad that is wasn't confirmed. There's no multiplayer, as has been confirmed many times, other characters just show up during particular missions. Sometime they work with your, sometime you work against them. For example...

in C.Green Hill you race against Knuckles, and in M.Green Hill you work with Tails in the Tornado.

Oily moly... When did these interesting specifics show up? Is there a source I missed?

Erm... not to be snarky but that's kinda what I said... Unless mini-game based cameos is your idea of 'co-op' I suppose.

Noone said Tails would be in Tornado durning his co-op mission. Those missions are msissions for stages not minigames. Its like in SA2. But yeah no multiplayer.

LOL, sorry I forgot...here's the video...for some reason it wouldn't let me post it in my old post when I was editing it.

Edited by KrazyBean14

Oily moly... When did these interesting specifics show up? Is there a source I missed?

That's the mission information from the demo. I'll try and find the complete list.

Er, I guess I'm fine with that. One or two is good to know to get a feel of the rest. Doesn't necessitate me spoiling myself that much though. xD

Although I would be interested in knowing if any of them are head to head fights.

Er, I guess I'm fine with that. One or two is good to know to get a feel of the rest. Doesn't necessitate me spoiling myself that much though. xD

Although I would be interested in knowing if any of them are head to head fights.

The entire list is below if you do want to see it. I made a mistake though. M.Green Hill is a VS match too (though it is still seemingly Tails in the Torndao as textures would imply). There are head to head fights, but they're in the form of boss/rival battles instead of missions. The first these is, as officially revealed, Metal Sonic.

CLASSIC GREEN HILL ZONE

Mission 1: Sonic Ghost (beat the time attack ghost)

Mission 2: Beaton (that's the fish badniks)

Mission 3: Vs Knuckles

Mission 4: Swings (likely involving the Green Hill swings)

Mission 5: High Speed

MODERN GREEN HILL ZONE:

Mission 1: Ordered Dash Ring

Mission 2: VS Tails

Mission 3: Sonic ghost

Mission 4: Jump Jump Jump!

Mission 5: 300% Boost

CLASSIC CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE

Mission 1: Co-Op Tails (tails co-op partner?)

Mission 2: Recue the Animals

Mission 3: Aqua Barrier (Bubble shield~)

Mission 4: Sonic Ghost

Mission 5: Invincibility

MODERN CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE

Mission 1: One Ring

Mission 2: Sonic Ghost

Mission 3: Co-Op Amy

Mission 4: Grabber (those spider robots from Chemical Plant)

Mission 5: Sprinkler in Water

CLASSIC SKY SANCTUARY ZONE

Mission 1: Sonic Ghost

Mission 2: Eggrobo

Mission 3: Round Platform

Mission 4: Enemy Rings (WHAT!? Likely has to do with Motobug monitor)

Mission 5: VS. Amy

MODERN SKY SANCTUARY ZONE

Mission 1: VS Knuckles

Mission 2: 200% Boost

Mission 3: Balloon

Mission 4: Sonic Ghost

Mission 5: Fast Tempo

CLASSICSPEED HIGHWAY

Mission 1: VS Cream

Mission 2: Keep Moving!

Mission 3: High Speed

Mission 4: Many Copspeeders (those race-car robot monkies from Adventure)

Mission 5: Sonic Ghost

MODERN SPEED HIGHWAY

Mission 1: Drift

Mission 2: Keep Moving!

Mission 3: Sonic ghost

Mission 4: Driller (?)

Mission 5: VS Espio

CLASSIC CITY ESCAPE

Mission 1: Sk8Board

Mission 2: Thunder Barrier

Mission 3: VS Rouge

Mission 4: Sonic ghost

Mission 5: Half a Spring

MODERN CITY ESCAPE

Mission 1: Vs Cream

Mission 2: Ordered Dash Ring

Mission 3: Truck

Mission 4: Fast Tempo

Mission 5: Sonic Ghost

CLASSIC SEASIDE HILL

Mission 1: Rescue Animals

Mission 3: Co-op Espio

Mission 4: Fast Tempo

Mission 5: In Water

MODERN SEASIDE HILL

Mission 1: Co-Op Rouge

Mission 2: Sonic ghost

Mission 3: Rainbow rings

Mission 4: Sea Turtle in the Sky

Mission 5: Giant Batabata

CLASSIC CRISIS CITY

Mission 2: Goal Plate Juggling

Mission 3: Co-Op Vector

Mission 4: Flame Barrier

Mission 5: Enemy Rings

MODERN CRISIS CITY

Mission 1: Stomping

Mission 2: Sonic ghost

Mission 3: Switch

Mission 4: Co-Op Blaze

Mission 5: Select Canon

CLASSIC ROOFTOP RUN

Mission 2: Egg Fighter

Mission 3: Ordered Dash Ring

Mission 4: VS Charmy

Mission 5: High Speed

MODERN ROOFTOP RUN

Mission 1: Rolling Barrel

Mission 3: Sk8Board (so it returns in this stage?)

Mission 4: Endless Boost

Mission 5: VS Vector

CLASSIC PLANET WISP

Mission 1: Fast Temp Pink Spike

Mission 3: Goal Plate Juggling

Mission 4: Vs Blaze

Mission 5: Sprinkler (those were the things in Planet wisp that spewed either spikes or rings)

MODERN PLANET WISP

Mission 2: Tram

Mission 3: Co-Op Charmy

Mission 4- Every Skill

Mission 5: Orange Rocket

Rival Boss: Metal Sonic

Extra Mission: Difficult Mode

Rival Boss: Shadow

Rival Boss Silver

Boss: Death Egg

Boss: Perfect Chaos

Boss: Egg Dragoon

Boss: Last Boss "Time Eater"

Edited by Blue Blood

Guys, great news...according to Nero Angel (a member of the SEGA Forums), spindashing for Classic Sonic CANNOT be spammed! If you attempt to spindash using the quick method whilst running (Square button for PS3 and X button for 360) you'll end up doing a roll instead of a spindash!

This is what he said

Now you have to physically STOP Sonic before using a spindash, even if it's the Classic or Quick way! Awesome.

Nope. This little Spin Dash spammer says other wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBOlgVUL19E

I knew it! If you did have to stop to use that spam/spindash than it would've already been mentioned by any number of Sonic fans that got to play the game.

.........Goddammit. What was that guy going on about then?

Welcome to the internet. Home of liars, trolls, and people that don't really know what they're talking about. Got my hopes up too.

@Krazybean14, hey atleast you can throw this video in his face. I'm sure that'll raise one or two interesting responses.