Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

Because you're running down a empty pathway, doing nothing but boost, is that not automation?

No doubt the "boost hallways" are there for visual flair, to get the sense that you're Sonic and you can run really fucking fast. However, these parts aren't very long and there are only a couple sections a stage. (Basing that solely on Unleashed, Colors, Modern GHZ and CE... trailer cuts aren't reliable for debate IMO, as you don't get the whole package.) Most stages will consist of a variation of 3D platforming, 2D platforming, grinding, drifting, quick stepping, sliding, stomping, and yes... boost hallways. I think what he is trying to say by "the level isn't super automated" is that there is plenty of non-automation to keep the gameplay fresh. I think of the boosting sections as a cool transition into the next platforming/quick step and drift section. Now, I'll concede that the modern formula isn't perfect by any means... some levels in Unleashed were just plain boring to me, but Colors greatly improved on it and Generations is taking it another step forward, at least in my opinion.

Edited by Ivo the Egghog

Oh, great, now I can't be the first on to record it and get a lot of Likes, like I did last year with the Colors DS Special Stage :X

Edit: Wait, City Escape, not Rooftop Run. 'K.

Looks like a new build. I see some things that weren't in the level before.

Edited by MarcelloF

Hmmm, quite a few changes to the level geometry, most of which I don't support, lots of springs added that take away the challenge. No biggie but I don't think the changes were necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm, quite a few changes to the level geometry, most of which I don't support, lots of springs added that take away the challenge. No biggie but I don't think the changes were necessary.

Good eye, I didn't even notice at first. The change they made at 1:11 in the video is totally unnecessary... The three platforms that were there originally were perfectly fine. Hopefully these are just changes made for this demo to make it easier for the attendees of GC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good eye, I didn't even notice at first. The change they made at 1:11 in the video is totally unnecessary... The three platforms that were there originally were perfectly fine. Hopefully these are just changes made for this demo to make it easier for the attendees of GC.

That's a thought. This would be the....

5th area in the game (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, City Escape)

To throw people into that level of difficulty on their first try would be unfitting. Maybe it has bee simplified for this demo so people don't struggle so much.

Edited by ENVY

That's a thought. This would be the....

5th area in the game (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, City Escape)

To throw people into that level of difficulty on their first try would be unfitting. Maybe it has bee simplified for this demo so people don't struggle so much.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. And as Poise pointed out, there aren't any red rings. This definitely has to be an older build or perhaps one made specifically to show off at events leading up to release. I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm sure it's not an older build.The Red Rings not being in is probably because they didn't want them to be in for the demo. The rest was either them simplifying the levelfor the convention or because they thought people were having too many problems so they wanted it to be easier.

Yeah, not a big fan of the simplification that's gone on. Some bits are fine because they looked annoyingly slow and blocky in the original, like Colours' stages. But they've gone and removed most of the difficulty. And why so few enemies now? GHZ is suffering from too few badniks as it is.

This part was unfair in the original- awkward jump and bottomless pit. They should have redesigned it, not made it a flat path.

SimpleEscape1.png

Also, did anyone notice the speed booster they removed? :P

I KNEW IT! Green Hill has Emerald Hill's spiral, Seaside Hill has sections from Hydrocity and Spagonia has the Flying Battery airship!

I'll be £25 right now that Crisis City will have Lava Reef sections!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I KNEW IT! Green Hill has Emerald Hill's spiral, Seaside Hill has sections from Hydrocity and Spagonia has the Flying Battery airship!

I'll be £25 right now that Crisis City will have Lava Reef sections!!

Corkscrews are a defining trait of Sonic games, not just Emerald Hill. And we all jumped the gun earlier with Rooftop Run and Flying Battery. It's A flying battery, not THE Flying Battery. No denying the Labyrinth/Hydrocity reference in Seaside Hill though.

[GC] Sonic Generations: Classic Sonic - City Escape Demo Gameplay (Cam):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iW6YeB0lLU

People will say "Oh new build" I am gonna say "I am waiting for Modern gameplay" Why? Because of MODERN ESCAPE FROM THE FREAKING CITY!!! PS City Escape demo at Gamescom. WHY I DIDNT GO! WHY! MarcelloF be sure to check it out for all of us here! Please!

[GC] Sonic Generations: Classic Sonic - City Escape Demo Gameplay (Cam):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iW6YeB0lLU

Some observations:

1:01 What happened to the boostpads that used to be over there?

1:12 Where the hell are the platforms that you had to jump over before the truck crushes you??

1:19 What happened to the Red platforms that used to be there in the E3 version??

1:34 The Boostpad wasn't there @ the E3 version, why put it there now?!

1:40 There were a lot more Robots in that area.

2:05 The yellow spring wasn't there @ the E3 version!

2:24 The platforms weren't arranged like that!!

2:39 The Yellow spring wasn't there before in the E3 version!

2:48 The yellow spring wasn't there EITHER!!

I hope that all these changes have been made because of noobs who can't play a Sonic game well and make it simpler for them...otherwise, Classic Sonic's City Escape has been changed for the worse. It's TOO EASY NOW, SEGA!! =p

• Thumbs Up 1

Some observations:

1:12 Where the hell are the platforms that you had to jump over before the truck crushes you??

1:19 What happened to the Red platforms that used to be there in the E3 version??

I hope that all these changes have been made because of noobs who can't play a Sonic game well and make it simpler for them...otherwise, Classic Sonic's City Escape has been changed for the worse. It's TOO EASY NOW, SEGA!! =p

Noticed those thins too. Maybe they made it easier because after all this lvl. is halfway in game. Oh and at 2:50 truck looks a bit bugy. I dont know why just look at it.

Looks like jumping and bounce height has been improved in this build. If you time the jump and control Sonic correctly, you can use the extra bounce height when destroying the GUN bot to access the hoop at 0:36.

Edited by Ananze

Dunno why they removed them, not really a change for better or worse.

Simplified to a point where the truck gimmick is pointless.

I like this change. The platforms before were really blocky, and just looked annoying. C.CE is also a blocky stage by style (which is good) is doesn't need to get all Colours' on us.

Ruined forever.

Again, simplified too much. They shouldn't be removing enemies.

So uh, what's the point of that big platform in the middle of the road now? Over-simplifying again.

The platforms were really unfair before, but now it's plain dull. Lower routes should be trap filled.

Just to nudge you into the hoop. No problems with this change.

That's really not necessary. You're trying to beat the clock (truck) at this part, so the spring shouldn't be their to hold your hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like jumping and bounce height has been improved in this build. If you time the jump and control Sonic correctly, you can use the extra bounce height when destroying the GUN bot to access the hoop at 0:36.

See, I thought the same thing. The jump looks a bit lighter, and at 0:44 it looks like Sonic picks up more momentum with that roll than he would in the GHZ demo... at least to me. But after going back and watching footage of the old demo, I couldn't really find an example to back up my claim. And you can see Sonic make it through the ring in the Chemical Plant/City Escape video that came out a little while back. I'm cool with the extra bounce you get if they keep designing the levels around it like that.

Oh well, even if SEGA simplifies this stage into nothing but a straight, flat trail we can rely on the Mod community to make the stage just like it was in the E3 build.

Wasn't there a

Hard Mode seen in some of the text overlays we got from the demo? Perhaps this is just the "Easy" version.

or simplified for attendees. Hopefully the latter.

Interesting...I just downloaded and watched the trailer (thank you Woun!) the HD versions are rated 7+ and the 3DS version is rated 3+. If the HD versions are 7+ then the game can finally take itself seriously at times and it wouldn't be so childish with the script, ala Sonic Colours

Edited by KrazyBean14

Interesting...the HD versions are rated 7+ and the 3DS version is rated 3+. If the HD versions are 7+ then the game can finally take itself seriously at times and it wouldn't be so childish with the script, ala Sonic Colours

Would you happen to know if that's like the equivalent to the US's ERSB E10+?

Would you happen to know if that's like the equivalent to the US's ERSB E10+?

Yes, it is. Unleashed was rated 7+ at European areas and the US version was rated E10+...so yeah smile.gif

Also, they should use this trailer as a commercial! That would be amazing!

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't there a

Hard Mode seen in some of the text overlays we got from the demo? Perhaps this is just the "Easy" version.

or simplified for attendees. Hopefully the latter.

I hope you can play the whole game on said SPOILER. Not just as a level select feature like SA2.

Edited by Michael Myers