Awoo.

Sonic Generations: GameWorld (IgroMir) and ComicCon /PAX, GamesCom, TGS, and GAMEfest/ Special Topic [ARCHIVE]

Woun

Oh God yes. Sonic running through a neon-lit, futuristic-style highway in HD has always been a dream of mine, I really hope that Speed Highway ends up looking like that.

3891679831_93b4d75245.jpg

Imagine if the backdrop of Speed Highway looked like that, while Sonic traversed the winding highroads and, eventually, ran down the side of the building to the end of the stage, like in the original? Man, that would just be epic. I really hope they play-up the highway element of the stage, leaving much of the buildings as fixtures in the background, so City Escape and Crisis City can feel more unique by comparison.

Over on the TSSZ, people are complaining over the changes made to Classic City Escape in the newest GamesCom vid, saying they made it easier or too easy. This was my reply:

Wait wait wait... you people are looking for CHALLENGE? In a SONIC game?

Sonic games have never been difficult. Not since our testicles dropped and our vags started bleeding, at least. The only thing difficult in the classic Sonic games was collecting all the chaos emeralds in a single playthrough, maybe one cheap boss per game, and a badly placed checkpoint in S&K's last zone. The 3D games were slightly more difficult, but that had more to do with the sometimes flaky control and the alternate gameplay of side-characters or extra missions.

The changes to this level do not make the stage "easier". It was already easy to begin with. They just switched some things around to make it a slighter faster paced stage. Considering half the level has a truck chasing you, that makes a large amount of sense.

Now, if all Classic levels have this emphasis of speed over platforming, THEN we will have a problem. But difficulty is a non-issue. Sonic games aren't meant to be hard. Hence their primary demographic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Over on the TSSZ, people are complaining over the changes made to Classic City Escape in the newest GamesCom vid, saying they made it easier or too easy. This was my reply:

Wait wait wait... you people are looking for CHALLENGE? In a SONIC game?

Sonic games have never been difficult. Not since our testicles dropped and our vags started bleeding, at least. The only thing difficult in the classic Sonic games was collecting all the chaos emeralds in a single playthrough, maybe one cheap boss per game, and a badly placed checkpoint in S&K's last zone. The 3D games were slightly more difficult, but that had more to do with the sometimes flaky control and the alternate gameplay of side-characters or extra missions.

The changes to this level do not make the stage "easier". It was already easy to begin with. They just switched some things around to make it a slighter faster paced stage. Considering half the level has a truck chasing you, that makes a large amount of sense.

Now, if all Classic levels have this emphasis of speed over platforming, THEN we will have a problem. But difficulty is a non-issue. Sonic games aren't meant to be hard. Hence their primary demographic.

• Thumbs Up 2

...........no... Sonic game... has ever been... difficult?

Play Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 2, or Sonic Unleashed. Seriously.

And yeah, I like a bit of challenge myself, thank you very much. Also, the primary demographic of this game is, in part, a lot of fans who grew up with the old games and are now around 20-something years old. Food for thought.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 2

23792SG_euc_act1_21.jpg

I really like this picture for classic sonic. Spagonia's definitely going to have challenge for classic sonic.

Also

23788SG_euc_act1_04.jpg
Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Play Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 2, or Sonic Unleashed. Seriously.

And yeah, I like a bit of challenge myself, thank you very much. Also, the primary demographic of this game is, in part, a lot of fans who grew up with the old games and are now around 20-something years old. Food for thought.

Last time I played through Sonic 1, I did so only dying once, in the third act of Labyrinth Zone, and with all six Chaos Emeralds. You get continues for every few special stages you complete, so retaining lives is never a problem.

Sonic CD is possibly the easiest of all the classic Sonic games, as not only does it have a save feature, but you can change to past and future stages if you become inexplicably stuck at any point.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is similarly easy, and has a save system as well. About the only challenge comes from the last zone in the game, which features a stupidly annoying midboss and a badly placed checkpoint that revives you at an area with no rings and a moving conveyor belt.

Sonic Adventure 2 is piss easy for both the Speed and Shooting stages. Only Knuckles and Rouge provide any "challenge", and even that isn't so much challenge as frustration over where the hell the shards could be.

Sonic Unleashed was just cheap, not difficult. Instant deaths were always likely during water running segments, and the controls for the final Super Sonic battle were so atrocious as to be nearly unplayable. Werehog was diluted God of War, to the point where no challenge existed anymore outside of the silly quick time event kills. The only legitimately difficult area in the game was Eggman Land, and again, that was mostly due to having to memorize the Sonic part of the stage in order to avoid falling down instant death pits, and walking ever so slowly across bars as Werehog.

Sonic Generations is going to be a cakewalk, just as every other modern Sonic game has been since Unleashed. SEGA is not making this game to appeal just to the 20-something year old market; it is making a game which it hopes will cross generations and become a hit. And while I'm not saying younger gamers shouldn't be challenged, Sonic games have never typically been the place to look for nail biting action.

That said, here are my top 5 difficulty moments in the Sonic series, in no particular order.

Sonic Spinball: The final boss. I still don't know how to beat him, but I did it.

Sonic and the Secret Rings: The final boss, again. But once you learn the trick to beating him (using speed boost to dodge his normal attacks), it becomes significantly easier.

Sonic 2006: Silver's Aquatic Base level. Those damn orbs you have to walk on...

Sonic & Knuckles: The aforementioned mid boss of the final level. I have yet to find a way to beat it aside from attacking madly and hoping I retain a single ring at all times. Even harder with Tails, as his jump is lower than Sonic's.

Sonic Rush: The second to last boss. Probably one of the best bosses in a 2D Sonic game, and definitely the hardest of them all in my eyes.

But I don't know. Maybe I'm just too good at videogames to be an accurate judge of the Sonic game's difficulty or lack thereof.

*C.Sonic Gonna Die!*

I really like this picture for classic sonic. Spagonia's definitely going to have challenge for classic sonic.

Also *The carnival is in town* Awesome!! And shamar flag!

The Holoska flag is there too. Can't see the images though. I don't think you're able to link straight from TSSZ, so they wont show up unles syou already have them in your cache. Here they are, reuploaded:

23792SG_euc_act1_21.jpg

23788SG_euc_act1_04.jpg

Must admit, that picture with the flags is utterly beautiful. There's even another route back there!

Edited by Blue Blood

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but:

GQi4c.png

Is Classic underground here or is it night time? The latter would imply something Werehog related...

I'd say he's probably just underground. Hoping for a nighttime mission though!

Anyways, I was looking at the Gamescom area pictures posted a while back.

Capture.png

Please tell me those are Sonic Generations Genesis/Megadrive boxes and not just a display.

Hey guys, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but:

GQi4c.png

Is Classic underground here or is it night time? The latter would imply something Werehog related...

That is an area from the Night section of the Spagonia stage in Unleashed. It isn't underground though, its a warehouse. From that screenshot, it looks like they may have merged the warehouse area with the clocktower as well. I'm glad to see this aspect of the stage recreated as well for Generations; they really aren't half-assing Spagonia just because it was in Unleashed. smile.gif

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Capture.png

Please tell me those are Sonic Generations Genesis/Megadrive boxes and not just a display.

I Knew it! I knew somehow that there would be a version of the box art in a megadrive or dreamcast version! Hopefully that will be for the special edition!

Capture.png

As much as I would love this to be, it looks like it's just the Xbox360 box

_-Sonic-Generations-Xbox-360-_.jpg

Ninja'd

Edited by Rawrdom

Mushroom Hill Footage!

NO MORE UNCURLING! biggrin.gif

They fixed uncurling, and other issues too it seems- near the start of the video he seems to roll down the hill and pick up speed. It looks like much less of a bastardisation than I expected, music sounds like it's pretty cool and I'm actually fairly pleased.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 7

Wow, looks better than the last demo we saw. Anyone else think that Sonic is a bit too slow, though? Maybe its just the player, but I see him not making it up most of the slopes without using the spin dash. Jumping seems to be at least slighty improved as well, judging by the fact the player spindashed off a ramp and continued to fly forward when his thumb was not pressing any direction. But its really hard to tell how well or how bad the game plays without having it in our hands ourselves.

Also, would like screenshots comparing the level to the genesis act 1, to see if it is truly the same. I saw some things that looked different.

Also, would like screenshots comparing the level to the genesis act 1, to see if it is truly the same. I saw some things that looked different.

Looked exactly the same to me. But use this to scout out any areas you're not sure about, and compare the screenshots:

MushroomOriginalDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMPSjpg.jpg

As usual, the player absolutely sucks. However, the game looks like it may actually be more fun to play now. Defnitely looks like it has more effort put into it than Sonic 4, visuals and gameplay wise.

I will note that it still grates me just how bad rolling is in the S4/Rush/Gens3DS engine. Look at how it does absolutely nothing but insta-decelerate! At least the GenerationsHD one can keep the speed you gained.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh dear lord, it's honest to god effort. It's been a while. Anyway thank christ they cleaned up the 3DS version, no uncurling and the framerate seems smoother.

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mushroom Hill Footage!

NO MORE UNCURLING! biggrin.gif

They fixed uncurling, and other issues too it seems- near the start of the video he seems to roll down the hill and pick up speed. It looks like much less of a bastardisation than I expected, music sounds like it's pretty cool and I'm actually fairly pleased.

OK...now I'm buying it! Pre-ordering!

Fuck yeah, I don't feel like a tool for preordering the 3DS version now :D The music was also pretty good, sounded the same, but with a sorta dance-style beat to it. I wonder how the Modern mix sounds? Hope it's better than the Midi-crap we got for the Big Arm fight.

...it might be nostalgia talking, but that looks like more fun than the HD classic gameplay.

Probably because the level design is better.

...it might be nostalgia talking, but that looks like more fun than the HD classic gameplay.

Probably because the level design is better.

Kinda makes you sad that levels these days just don't have anywhere near the depth of the S3K ones. Mushroom Hill is as and fun looking as ever. Actually, I wonder if there will be any levels with original layouts for both Sonic's. Depends on if after the the classic stages we see levels from the 3D games or not.

Edited by Blue Blood