Awoo.

Sonic Generations : General Hacking Thread

azoo

You know what I find funny...

No matter what SEGA picked people would have still be bitching about the level list regardless...hell maybe if a different list was announced perhaps I would be complaining as well.

This whole big fight...no matter what the outcome was was inevitable.

I'm done...

SEGA said over and over that this game was supposed to to cover 20 years of Sonic...what else you you expect them to do in 3 years with a 9 gig DVD disk. People were assking way too much to begin with.

Edited by Eternlo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 15

You know what I find funny...

No matter what SEGA picked people would have still be bitching about the level list regardless...hell maybe if a different list was announced perhaps I would be complaining as well.

This whole big fight...no matter what the outcome was was inevitable.

I'm done...

SEGA said over and over that this game was supposed to to cover 20 years of Sonic...what else you you expect them to do in 3 years with a 9 gig DVD disk. People were asking way too much to begin with. Regardless of what era they chose to emphasis...people will still always bitch.

Last time I checked Sonic had plenty of other games he could cover...not just Classic Games...

Holy shit this topic.

I'd like to point out that everyone bitching down at the people finding the variance lacking, I believe they are right. I'm well aware that each of these cities are different in color, time of day, location, and so forth, but at the end of the day, you're still running on roads and rooftops, amirite? I think people are just a little irked that some of these game choices that have city representatives, did have something else from the game that could have been a more unique placeholder. If they wanted to skip out on Sonic 3, Adventure could have easily had it's Ice Cap. Even if not that, I think even having Twinkle Park could have evened out the level types a little more. I could sit here and pull apart each game with a more unique choice but when you boil it down:

Classic Era

>Green

>Factory/Base/etc

>Sky

Adventure

>City

>City

>Green

Modern

>City

>City

>Park

I usually don't even separate the eras into three sections, but I just wanted to spread it out a little more. Anyways, to me, it looks like Classic has the most mix up going on. You could argue that Chemical Plant is a city I guess, but it's usually regarded as a base or a factory due to the part you actually play in. I know the Adventure and Modern level choices are among the most popular and defining levels of their respective games, but as a whole, it becomes samey.

I'd like to point out that I'm actually not disappointed in the selection we got at all. I think each stage will be unique compared to others, no matter if they share some similarity. However, I just wanted to point out that the opposing side I think has a justified right to be a tad upset. At the end of the day though, I'm pretty damn sure that once any trailer or screen shot comes out of a new level, everyone will shit bricks and be in awe anyways, so why are we wasting our breath LOL?

• Thumbs Up 2

Lewlz u guyz want 2 her mah fav stages im waytin fer sure ya dew

City Escape

Crisis City

Sky Sanc

Seaside Hill

I think the main thing that should be noted in this thread before this conversation gets more volatile, assuming that's possible, is that the 99.9% of the people who are unhappy in this thread are probably going to enjoy the actual gameplay because the actual controls and the level design- regardless of the actual level aesthetics- look to be great, which is mostly why we've been so praising of the two stages we've seen already. Subsequent enjoyment will probably be had through the storyline, music, and ungodly amounts of fanservice Generations is looking to provide. That the game is now terrible is not what we're saying much less even implying.

All we've said is that the actual level list is disappointing either because we feel the tropes are too repetitious or simply because one of our favorites didn't get in. Why such a statement has been turned around to mean we now find nothing in the game worth buying and that we're schizos or something is just fucking beyond me, but nonetheless, I feel this needs to not only be said, but repeated constantly until it's ultimately understood so this conversation is to regain some semblance of mutual respect. No one should even have to qualify any dissenting opinion with, "I'm still going to enjoy Generations" before they're allowed to state that opinion because they don't want to get chewed out by a mob of people shouting that they're being unpleasable. Intolerant optimism has been just as much a bane on this fanbase's reputation as intolerant cynicism.

Seriously, can we just, I don't know, listen to each other's opinions? =/

I'd forgotten I wanted Perfect Chaos in this...just to see how awesome he could look with today's graphics. Hype levels are rising again. :D Love the boss choices. Death Egg's an interesting one. I'd love Doomsday to come into play but I doubt Super Sonic would turn up that early. =[

Also, at least in terms of music, the level list is great.

Edited by Lungo

So true.

And about the 9 gig DVD disc, im guessing thats size of a Shitbox 360's disc, so it should just be exclusive to the PS3 so we could have more stuff since Blu-Ray has a larger storage capacity.

• Thumbs Up 4

So true.

And about the 9 gig DVD disc, im guessing thats size of a Shitbox 360's disc, so it should just be exclusive to the PS3 so we could have more stuff since Blu-Ray has a larger storage capacity.

Edited by KrazyBean14

I'd forgotten I wanted Perfect Chaos in this...just to see how awesome he could look with today's graphics. Hype levels are rising again. :D Love the boss choices. Death Egg's an interesting one. I'd love Doomsday to come into play but I doubt Super Sonic would turn up that early. =[

Also, at least in terms of music, the level list is great.

I don't know why i didn't think of that. Perfect Chaos in HD graphics 0_0. Also with this there are some other confirmed things coming along. A new remix of Open your Heart comes too.

Two words...Multiple Disks.

This is SEGA we are talking about...not Square Enix.... 8P

I'm sure if Sonic was selling 6-9 million copies a game we would have something like that though...sadly he is not.

Edited by Voyant

Gentlemen,

No matter how much you argue over the leaks, it isn't going to change them. You may dislike them, you may love them, you may be somewhere in-between. However, and forever this is what was uncovered and likely what will be in the final game. However, one must remember that these aren't the stages we once knew. SEGA will surely show us more in the months to come, but for now this is what we have to form our opinion off of. Bickering, whining, complaining, and arguing won't change that and it is more tiresome than productive or entertaining. Agree to disagree, and let's actually do something productive and have a more intelligent, entertaining, and respectable conversation, maybe a debate or two, but something more productive than this banter. And maybe some of you guys can help in the on-going process of uncovering what's left to uncover? I feel like I'm the only one in this topic still doing that and there is more to uncover.

Sincerely, I and fairly sure other users and readers of this said topic. I want to have a nice conversation about this, not some unintelligible bickering.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well, if the game can't fit onto one disk and they can't realize that they can use two...then that's incredibly silly of them. :mellow:

Edited by Voyant

So....is anyone actually looking foward to seeing any of these stages remade?

Aside from obviously Green Hill, City Escape and Rooftop Run, Ocean Palace I'm mostly looking foward to Planet Wisp (that stage was already gorgeous in Colors so imagine what it'll be like in HD) and Crisis City. I'm not too bothered with Kingdom Valley not getting in because Crisis City is another decent pick for 06' I suppose.

I imagine the rest of those icons are also mission-based, specifically in reference to collectables and rewards, but what's with the classic Sonic heads? I would've said it's a life icon, but why is the second greyed out?

@Wolfy: The reason behind the levels is likely due to the more universal perception of the levels and how much people associate each game with it. There was a poll a while back asking people what their most favorite or iconic levels were per game. Chances are Sonic Team used that as added research for it. Also, Sega's trying to capture an audience that isn't just the fanbase, but outside of it to expand the brand. Many of these casuals will associate these games with those levels. The only one I can really debate is Ice Cap from Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure.

1. Green Hill: Self-explanatory.

2. Chemical Plant: I've always heard a lot of rave over it despite its bouncy difficulty. This was the first level to actually feel the sense of speed in a Sonic game, as Sonic 1 had a strict cap.

3. Sky Sanctuary: This level was basically the climax of S3&K. Chooch explained it thoroughly. Although this is the only one I fully question for the reasons in the first paragraph above.

4. Speed Highway: This is the level that really brought that thrill of speed in a 3D Sonic game. While the previous levels were calmer and slower in tempo, this one changed the pace. Combine that with the night environment, the race down the building, and trek at dawn, it creates a great mood.

5. City Escape: Self-explanatory. And, yes, it's my most favorite Sonic level altogether. :P

6. Seaside Hill/Ocean Palace. This is really one level divided by two names, because they're both similar. Ruins, green scenery, and action. This level reminds people a lot of Green Hill, so it carries the most nostalgia among fans than the other levels in Heroes.

7. Crisis City: The most epic stage in Next-Gen. Platforming, fire, memes galore. It's an undergoing apocalypse that carries a lot of fond memories despite its glitchy nature.

8. Rooftop Run: Fast, furious, epic. Tearing through the town without a care. Plus, its environment is gorgeous and one of the most praised throughout Unleashed HD.

9. Planet Wisp: Calming, beautiful, gentile, and a great change of mood that goes with its Wisp usage and station-to-station platforming. It's possibly the most Classic-esque stage environmentally and physically.

@KrazyBean:14: One drawback is that Sega doesn't want a repeat of Shenmue. Cramming in twenty years into a DVD is impossible, so you have to sacrifice. Plus, Sega's not that big of a company anymore, so they had to make big decisions. :)

@DragonSoul: I'm definitely interested in seeing the levels remade. I remember the rave when Planet Wisp from Sonic Colors was emulated on Dolphin. Everyone was replying by how GORGEOUS it looked, and I can't blame them. Seeing this levels remade will wet my whistle. :D

I think the level I'm most excited for is Planet Wisp. I've railed against that stage before not because it was particularly terrible, but because it eschewed its natural settings to completely throw you into the construction work immediately. I want the actual landscape to have more of a presence here. I want to run through the forest, interact with weird plant life, see what the Wisps are doing, climb mountains and run along rivers, and do all sorts of things before I start having to walk along I-beams and elevators. Pleeeaaase Sega, for the love of all that is good and holy, give me the ability to have a good run around in the forest first. =(

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from obviously Green Hill, City Escape and Rooftop Run, Ocean Palace I'm mostly looking foward to Planet Wisp (that stage was already gorgeous in Colors so imagine what it'll be like in HD) and Crisis City. I'm not too bothered with Kingdom Valley not getting in because Crisis City is another decent pick for 06' I suppose.

So true.

In terms of how the worlds are remade, not that much, if only for the sole reason that since more than half of the stages are modern it'd mostly only mean having drastically improved the graphics of something that's already graphically sound, so really I think most facets will stay largely familiar. Seaside Hill we've already seen remade in All-Stars Racing, and while I look forward to actually playing it, I can't say that the remake has me actually excited.

I look forward to playing them and seeing their designs but in all honesty the Green Hill trailer had me far more hyped than the City Escape trailer, if only because it completely revised everything I would know and expect from a 20 year old game that at the time was restricted to 16 bits, which is one of the reasons why I'm disappointed that the ratio is a 3:5 if the leaked list is real (even though Ruby supposedly said some leaks might not be real??). I won't lie that I'm biased in favor for classic stages being remade, but that might be cause seeing them fully realized and truly see how the developers imagined them to be in their eyes is far more interesting to me.

The only modern level I'm truly excited to see remade is Crisis City, because that was designed with the most contrasting Sonic art style and seeing it relived in Sonic Generations should be interesting since Unleashed and Hedgehog Engine never saw itself rendering an apocalyptic, fire-y disasterpiece.

Edited by Carbo

I'm looking forward to see Crisis City and Chemical Plant!!

I can't begin to imagine what they have in store for us.

Ocean Palace looks amazing from the pics and Sky Sanctuary has great potential of course.

Also what i'm looking really forward too is Prefect Chaos and Metal Sonic. In HD with a remix of Open Your heart and a race with Metal Sonic!

What you want more? 2D race? or 3D race?(of course it mght not be a race!) just speculating.

Edited by frokenok3

...Imma just go dote over the Chaotix like I originally planned to while everyone else aslpodes against each other due to the level selection. :mellow:

I'm sort of curious about Planet Wisp because (if Dusk's info is anything to go by) it seems like the levels are placed in chronological order, wich means PW is the final zone...

I wonder if Sonic Team is doing some (heavy) modifications to the level to make it look more... er... Final-Level like. :unsure:

(that or Time Eater has a level on it's own)

Edited by gato