Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

Hm, is there still hope of a playable Peach for this game? You know, at least as a post-Bowser whooping unlockable?

New iwata asks

Mii characters as players helps to alleviate the issue that arises when multiple people are playing at the same time and one of them doesn’t know which character they are. Having your own avatar be your character makes you more identifiable on-screen.

New Super Mario Bros. U is both a reference to the console (Wii U), and to your Mii being playable (you).

Multiplayer supports five players, with one using the GamePad

The player using the GamePad can create platforms and stun enemies by tapping them (along with other GamePad-specific functions they aren’t revealing yet).

The developers feel they “can’t change it” too much because certain Mario elements are entrenched and expected.

Their dream is to slowly advance Mario over the years, so that it continues for generations of gamers to come.

EDIT: Curses, beaten by two minutes!

Official Logo

wiiunewmariou0logoe3png-acfd88_640w.png

IGN has gotten a behind the scenes interview with Takashi Tezuka on the game.

http://www.ign.com/a...er-mario-bros-u

Some important things talked about

*What they can do in HD with Mario

*When IGN brings up that powerful consoles means bigger enemies and levels, Tezuka mentions that they're working on something "Impactful"

* They talk about how to use the Gamepad, and The Boost Mode

*Says they created the levels with Single Player in mind

* Flying Squirrel Mario CAN'T Fly, however in mid-glide he can perform a little updraft or boost

*The seamless over-world maps from Super Mario World returns

*Intergration with Miiverse

Squirrell1.jpg

Squirell2.jpg

Lots of Screens! http://www.ign.com/i...<!--NoParse3-->

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 1

World style maps excite me, I just hope they go balls out with the secret passages and shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, is there still hope of a playable Peach for this game? You know, at least as a post-Bowser whooping unlockable?

According to the Nintendo All Access clip for Day 1 "New levels, Princess Peach, and Mii characters, what else do you need?" I'd say there's still hope.

ETA: that's the Update 2 All Access clip.

Edited by Thrippa

The New Super Mario Bros. series suspiciously reminds me of the Sonic 4 Episodes, each one taking after a different number in the classics.

I like how the Mii has on a Wario suit but we most likely wont be able to play as Wario. Way to troll Nintendo. :/ What's next, female Miis dress as Peach but we cant play as her?

The New Super Mario Bros. series suspiciously reminds me of the Sonic 4 Episodes, each one taking after a different number in the classics.

Edited by Octarine

You know, if you look at the image, the Miis are wearing Mario, Luigi, Wario and Waluigi's outfits. Except the one with black overalls has a blue shirt instead of purple.

Someone who played NSMB.U says that while the game looks beautiful and pretty, the level design didn't feel too different from other Mario games.

Whether this is good or bad to you is your choice.

And this will disappoint some

http://www.siliconer...r-mario-bros-u/

At a Nintendo developer roundtable this evening, Nintendo confirmed that there will be no inter-connectivity between their two upcoming Mario games—New Super Mario Bros. 2 for the 3DS and New Super Mario Bros. U for the Wii U.

Why not? Because, Nintendo say, the two Marios are being made by different teams. Each team has its own ideas of what to put in their game, and there are no shortage of ideas for them to draw from. Additionally, both games are being designed for two entirely separate systems, and the purpose of each game is to highlight the features of the system it’s on.

Edited by Nintendoga

I'm getting more and more excited for this game actually, Nintendo's conference may have been a let down for me, but a new Mario game taking its cues from Mario World for once instead of the over-harvested Mario 3 is just...awesome!

However, the only way to truly capture Mario World's essence isn't just more awesome backgrounds and and a high focus on Yoshi powers. It's supreme level design and multiple ways to complete levels and shit tons of hidden secrets, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Someone who played NSMB.U says that while the game looks beautiful and pretty, the level design didn't feel too different from other Mario games.

Whether this is good or bad to you is your choice.

See, this is what disappoints me. Every new installment in the NSMB series plays like an expansion pack. You have the first one setting the groundwork, Wii being the same again with multiplayer which you can play without, 2 with a gold coin gimmick but otherwise looking the same and U being Wii again expect prettier. They're all solid, fun games that honestly don't have much scope or depth. Especially with these two new ones on the way it's starting to feel like they're running off a factory production line, you know?

• Thumbs Up 2

See, this is what disappoints me. Every new installment in the NSMB series plays like an expansion pack. You have the first one setting the groundwork, Wii being the same again with multiplayer which you can play without, 2 with a gold coin gimmick but otherwise looking the same and U being Wii again expect prettier. They're all solid, fun games that honestly don't have much scope or depth. Especially with these two new ones on the way it's starting to feel like they're running off a factory production line, you know?

Although it may be small but Wii brought back Yoshi, the Koopalings, and Airships.

What's the point of Yoshi if we only have him for like, 2 levels, and even then it isn't guarunteed we won't lose him by the end. We'd really better be able to bring Yoshi into other levels.

What's the point of Yoshi if we only have him for like, 2 levels, and even then it isn't guarunteed we won't lose him by the end. We'd really better be able to bring Yoshi into other levels.

From one of the gameplays that I saw the baby Yoshis stay in the level they came from. Clear sign of whats to come? we'll see.

Btw Yoshi was only in 7 levels in NSMBWii.

Not even joking.

Oh man, now this is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the NSMB2 thread in terms of how you can take the same level tropes and breathe new life into them with unique aesthetics. I didn't even care much about the Yoshis because I was too busy fangasming over the visuals. Beautiful. Especially loving the Starry Night-esque spooky level.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although it may be small but Wii brought back Yoshi, the Koopalings, and Airships.

You're right it's small. Yoshi is so stupidly uncommon he might as well not be there, the Koopalings are just like any other enemy and no different to fighitng Jr at every castle and the Airships are nothing interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought NSMBW was a big step up from NSMB for the far superior level design alone. Plus, yeah I did like seeing the kopa kids return, I loved the co-op, and the nods to Yoshi's Island (OMG Kamek) were neat.

I will rescue Princess Peach as a Mii that looks like Princess Peach. Let's see how that one will end.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 8

I will rescue Princess Peach as a Mii that looks like Princess Peach. Let's see how that one will end.

inb4hentaianddevinart

You're right it's small. Yoshi is so stupidly uncommon he might as well not be there, the Koopalings are just like any other enemy and no different to fighitng Jr at every castle and the Airships are nothing interesting.

then you must have not been a fan of Bros 3 or World cuz they were exactly the same back then too.

• Thumbs Up 2

From one of the gameplays that I saw the baby Yoshis stay in the level they came from. Clear sign of whats to come? we'll see.

You never could bring baby Yosh out of the levels..

inb4hentaianddevinart

then you must have not been a fan of Bros 3 or World cuz they were exactly the same back then too.

I've never played SMB3 beyond the first few levels, while Super Mario World was fantastic because of the scale and the really clever stage design. I don't have much faith in those for this game.

Edited by Blue Blood

I thought NSMBW was a big step up from NSMB for the far superior level design alone.

I'd actually argue the opposite. NSMB was wonderful for never reusing a level gimmick once. Literally every level was unique in some way. NSMBWii did tend to reuse level gimmicks in a "okay remember this from World 2? Now we're gonna combine it with THIS thing from World 4" sorta way pretty often.

I'm not a fan of Koopalings, but only in the sense that it means you know exactly what the boss is gonna be each world. I mean thankfully they made every single one unique (unlike World where they reused boss battles), so it wasn't so bad but... still it gauranteed a lack of spectacle on each boss.

As samey as most Mario games are, I really can't deny they aren't fun to play, and this is a prime example. I loved NSMBW, well before I got bored with it, but depending on what they add to this game, it may justify me getting a Wii U, I have friends that need stomping.