Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

Funnily enough, the only thing I disliked here is Rosalina getting kidnapped. She's not a Princess and it feels out of character. I feel like she's been presented as too powerful to be overcome by Bowser without kind of ruining her image from Galaxy. I'd be dissapointed if they ever brought down her character to be able to just become another Peach.

Didn't Bowser kinda easily fuck her shit up in Galaxy though? If he wanted to he could have taken her as well as the star power.

She was a main character in Mario 2. (The best character I might add)

She fights along side Nintendo's best in the Smash Bros series.

She saved Mario and Luigi and a shit load of Toads in Super Princess Peach.

She's a video game character and thus could do anything they program her to do.

Didn't Bowser kinda easily fuck her shit up in Galaxy though? If he wanted to he could have taken her as well as the star power.

Yeah but it seems kind of arbitrary. I just can't envision why Bowser would want Rosalina or seeing her in a cage at the end being all "Mariooooooo D8". If they're desperate to get Peach in I don't know why anyone would complain that you're doing something other than saving a Princess from Bowser. No-one minds when they shake up the story in the Paper Mario games.

• 11 months later...

SUPER BUMP

I was gonna post this in the Super Mario 4 topic, but since it's unclear if this is the Super Mario 4 coming to Wii-U (which has been confirmed) or just a NSMB Wii-U launch title, I'll bump this for discussion. It's a good place to discuss too since the title will probably be revealed in two days.

34q6zbp.jpg

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 3

What's wrong with the Y-Axis?

Anyway, I assume the flying squirrel suit will be like the cape from Mario world. The Yoshis ballooning up from babies, also like the Yoshis in Mario World starting as babies. And the Overworld is reminiscent of Mario World.

It sems to me this game is taking heavy inspiration from Mario World which is great as it's my favorite Mario game.

I'm actually excited for it, the backgrounds look really neat and alive, the graphics are also really good. (Atleast for NSMB.) Also, the maps are styled similar to Super Mario World. Hopefully instead of a New Super Mario Bros. for Wii-U, we get New Super Mario World.

Edited by Reggie Fils-Aime

I really love that giant blocky mountain in the background.

I'm actually excited for it, the backgrounds look really neat and alive, the graphics are also really good. (Atleast for NSMB.) Also, the maps are styled similar to Super Mario World. Hopefully instead of a New Super Mario Bros. for Wii-U, we get New Super Mario World.

I just spotted Peach's castle in the background. It's much further away than in the others.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, I really hope Wart makes his return in this game...Koopa Kids returned in Wii, Boom Boom returned in SM3DL, and now New Super Mario Bros. Wii-U is coming out, hopefully King Wart returns.

How do they make this game look good when NSMB2 looks rubbish in comparison to even NSMBWii?

The castle is now at the end of the level, as opposed to the beginning, like the last few non-Galaxy 2D Mario games. It appears that Mario is just cruising through World 1, and maybe he'll reach the castle at the end of the world. Nice change of pace.

I also love that mountain. I want to be able to trek it.

Edited by Joshua

Found this comparison pic on Neogaf:

nMYFR.jpg

Notice how in the background of Wii U, Peach's castle still has the same clouds as in Wii? It's a nice detail. I wonder if Mario is going off to a new land in this?

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's nice to see some new level themes. I mean this doesn't have the personality a lot of other games in the genre have but it's an improvement, and I like that we're FINALLY getting new level themes.

Hopefully the co op in this game is online. NSMBW was a blast to play multiplayer.

SuperMarioWorldTitleScreen-620x.jpg

Notice anything?

Has backgrounds from SMW title screen, and Baby Yoshi which carries you as balloon, (maybe like how the P-balloon functions?)

So they're basing this game off of SMW? One of my favorite 2D Mario games? Oh Nintendo you shouldn't have.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 2

A noticeable evolution this time around, very nice. Still not exactly impressive, but it is nice to look at, and I love me some Super Mario World influence.

How do they make this game look good when NSMB2 looks rubbish in comparison to even NSMBWii?

Here we go with the never ending look at the graphics of an hd console to a handheld in which 3d was given the priority

This is exactly what I was hoping the Wii U Mario would do, bring back some Mario World stuff rather than continue to beat Mario 3 to death. Mario World will always be the better game in my opinion so its about damn time it got mined for stuff other than the ability to ride Yoshi.

• Thumbs Up 2

About that comment with the flying Squirrel, here's something a NeoGaf user said

I like a lot the new backgrounds, I like a lot the AT LAST use of a world map instead of levels screen (you can see the desert zone as the camera goes up in the video) and thank god that they finally are making a tribute to SMW and not SMB3.

They converted the cape into a flying squirrel, that was one of the things that the cape could do:

smw-cape.jpg

squirrels%2Bpictures,%2Bflying%2Bsquirrels%2Bpictures,%2Bground%2Bsquirrels%2Bpictures,%2Bsquirrels%2Bpicture,%2Bpictures%2Bof%2Bsquirrels,%2Bgray%2Bsquirrels%2Bpictures,%2Bpictures%2Bof%2Bflying%2Bsquirrels,%2Bsquirrel%2Bpictures%2B16.jpg

And there also seem to be baby Yoshis just like in SMW, and the rockwork of SMW is also present.

The only thing we need is a ragtime soudtrack and the return of the castle theme.

He's right about the Cape=flying Squirrel analogy, and he's also right about the World Map. MarcelloF also guessed this on page 2, so they're both right.

[media=]

When the map screen moves up, look in the upper left corner, for 1 second you can see something that look like a desert.

Edited by Nintendoga

You know, I really hope Wart makes his return in this game...Koopa Kids returned in Wii, Boom Boom returned in SM3DL, and now New Super Mario Bros. Wii-U is coming out, hopefully King Wart returns.

But weren't the events of Super Mario Bros 2 a dream? I mean, Birdo and Shyguy return, but King Wart was never seen again... it'd be cool, I suppose, but I don't think Nintendo's quite ready to go so far as to make the lead villain in a 2D main series Mario game anyone but Bowser or his Koopalings.

With this maybe there can be SOME hope of a 2d Mario game that plays in the same style as Super Mario Bros 2 (US) because that would just be great.

• Thumbs Up 1

But weren't the events of Super Mario Bros 2 a dream? I mean, Birdo and Shyguy return, but King Wart was never seen again... it'd be cool, I suppose, but I don't think Nintendo's quite ready to go so far as to make the lead villain in a 2D main series Mario game anyone but Bowser or his Koopalings.

Wasn't Wart in a Zelda game or something?

I still think developing 2 NSMB games at once, regardless of separate consoles, is idiotic. I mean, the 2D Mario games have barely changed at all since the first NSMB, why release both? I know they're for different platforms, but for Petey Piranha's sake (HA), Nintendo, give Mario a break until you can try something fresh and exciting with him.

Then again, the 3DS one probably took minimal effort to make (judging from the few screenshots we've seen) so I doubt it took away from the development of other games too much.

Anyways, NSMB Mii at least looks like it's getting a bit more effort put into it - mainly from a graphical standpoint - but I'm still not too pumped for it. What's the new draw? Multiplayer? NSMBWii did that already. Playing on the Wii U GamePad? Cool, but doesn't really add to gameplay. HD Graphics? It's not like this is the game to show what the Wii U is capable of. Miis? Don't add anything to gameplay. Unless this game has super-awesome level design like SMW, I'm not that crazy about it. Though I suppose some minor improvements could add up to something great - IF there's enough of them. Stuff like more Yoshi abilities, more powerups, improved physics (weren't really a problem, but still), hidden secrets, etc. I'm getting bored with 2D Mario, but if Nintendo can prove that they are indeed letting the series evolve, I'll be satisfied.

Also, regardless of how good the game is, if the plot doesn't involve Peach getting kidnapped, I will buy it day-one, no questions asked.

• Thumbs Up 1