Awoo.

New Super Mario Bros. U

SPvTGS

What would Pikmin 3 be classified under? "Oh Cool" Or "Wow, so this is what the next generation is going to be like? Amazing."

I've never played a single Pikmin game, so I couldn't say.

Well Pikmin 3 looks good and all, but since I've never played a Pikmin game, it doesn't wow me like it would it's fans.

Mephiles, what you seem to be describing is aesthetics. Graphics and aesthetics aren't the same thing. I mean they're connected in a sense, but not by too much.

Some new "gameplay" footage with the music.

I use the term gameplay loosely because.....um....well just watch the video.

Okay, after that migraine of a video,

We know the Spinjump is back, and how you can do it is a bit weird. You either shake the Gamepad, Press the Trigger Buttons. I hope there's a control option to map it to the A button.

Music's okay.

....the fuck?

Why didn't they cut to the Wii U Controller! I wanted to see the controller it was being played on and what it looked like!

How did anyone think releasing that video filled with controller shaking madness was a good idea?

How did anyone think releasing that video filled with controller shaking madness was a good idea?

Maybe the uploader shook off any objections others had about uploading the video.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jesus Christ, why the hell were they waggling the Gamepad when you can just press one of the trigger buttons?

Jesus Christ, why the hell were they waggling the Gamepad when you can just press one of the trigger buttons?

Force of habit. Too used to shaking the Wiimote on NSMBWii.

Same reason why they aren't holding the run button.
  • Thumbs Up 2

IT's an alright video, clearly not geared at gameplay moreover trying to show off the gamepad having gyroscopes I guess. Music is alright, but I'm kinda hoping they show more of the really arty levels that were shown off in the original trailer.

And that's why you shouldn't play the game on the joypad and play the TV instead.

...Why? It's a platformer. It's not exactly losing anything by going to a small screen, specially seen as has worked fine multiple times, or do the handheld Mario games not count?

Hell it's New Super Mario Bros. It's not known for letting you know it's dick-moves before they happen anyway.

This looks no different to NSMB2, Aesthetics, graphics, music and even gameplay wise. It's not bad, but there's just not much that's new, or anything that takes advantage of the innovative new features the Wii U has to offer.

Though I digress; mini balloon Yoshis are pretty sick.

Edited by Wordy

Well, not sure if this has been proposed yet, but round Goombas, SMW backgrounds, Baby Yoshis?

There's a pretty darn good chance that this game is gonna be in Dinosaur Land.

This looks no different to NSMB2, Aesthetics, graphics, music and even gameplay wise.

newsupermariobrosuscree.jpg

e32012newsupermariobros.jpg

e32012newsupermariobros.jpg

Wat.

(Also all the footage that has been shown so far has completely original music, unlike NSMB2).

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 8

I really like the music in that video. I just wish the "bah"s would be gone.

I really like the music in that video. I just wish the "bah"s would be gone.

It was cute and fun in the first NSMB. Now it just needs to *BAH BAH* off.

• Thumbs Up 3

The "BAH's" in NSMB are the equivalent to the DAC snare drum samples in the Sonic 4 Saga. It sounded like a cool idea, but now it's LONG overstayed it's welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, not sure if this has been proposed yet, but round Goombas, SMW backgrounds, Baby Yoshis?

There's a pretty darn good chance that this game is gonna be in Dinosaur Land.

I wish, but in the first level in the very background you can see Peach's castle so this is still Mushroom Kingdom.

It was cute and fun in the first NSMB. Now it just needs to *BAH BAH* off.

NSMB+ Wii = BAH BAH BAH

NSMB2= LA LA LA LA LA LA LA BAH LA LA LA BAH BAH BAH

NSMBU= BAH BAH BAH U U U U U U BAH BAH U U U BAH BAH BAH BAH U?

I'm on to you Nintendo....

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, I'm not too fond of the bahs but at the same time I do love when vocal samples are used in any form in music.

Would love for them to bring back the whistling samples used in Mario Kart Double Dash and a bit of Luigi's Mansion. Those'd fit really nicely in the chilled back atmosphere of the NSMB games.

This looks no different to NSMB2, Aesthetics, graphics, music and even gameplay wise. It's not bad, but there's just not much that's new, or anything that takes advantage of the innovative new features the Wii U has to offer.

Though I digress; mini balloon Yoshis are pretty sick.

nsmb-wii.jpg

nsmbu_featjpg.jpg

Yup. Totally Aesthetically the same. New music to boot to. Now.

The lack of movement for a lot of standard graphics is hardly a bad thing. A game series (Note, not franchise) benefits from being similar to it's predecessors. Even if it's similar in core Aesthetics (See: Ground). It essentially sets a look which isn't bad to be fair.

The video did admittedly do little to show this off (I wonder if they picked an overly bland level on purpose so that they can show LOOK, YOU CAN SHAKE THIS over actually showing off how things look).

As for gameplay? Of course that's going to be rather similar too, it's a bloody platformer. At it's core, it will share the principles shared with other platformers. While I'll agree this is a churning out of "more of the same", I think that's down to the director than anything. But seen as a platform game relies on level design over messing with a time and tested gameplay style, I'd focus on how the game and levels pan out.

If they're a little dull like NSMBWii's were then I probably will be aggravated.

I will agree for a launch title it does little to work on the WiiU's capabilities. But that is the fault of the game, and a lot of platformers will suffer the same problem. Rayman looks great but is limited in use of the gamepad and the graphical output of the Wii. So would sonic 4 if they decided to port it.

Platformers unless they become graphical clusterfucks of information relying too much on being pretty will not push a console anyway, be it WiiU, 3DS or a bloody N64.

Y'know I really wish the spin jump worked like it did in SMW. :/

I loved just being like "Oh look a multi-hit enemy! BAM!" tongue.png

Edited by Wooly-Vinyl

Y'know I really wish the spin jump worked like it did in SMW. :/

I loved just being like "Oh look a multi-hit enemy! BAM!" tongue.png

Yeah, uh, what's the spoint of spin jumpining in NSMB without a Propellor Suit? I know it lets you shoot two fire/iceballs, but that's useless.

• Thumbs Up 1