Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I tried to doing that but, the store I went to already sold the Wiis to people who were camped out for a day already. And they didn't tell anyone. I was livid, to say the least.

Flash is an obsolete format that's laggy, buggy and very unwieldy. It's dying out now that most websites are starting to support HTML5, and there's no reason to use it nowadays.

But it's not going to go anywhere for major sites for the next few years, nor is the Wii U going to be much of a reason for web developers to stop using it, so the only functional difference is that people with the Wii U browser will be inconvenienced for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think I'll be able to preorder this one, considering I would want the Premium, and that much money is something I can't afford right now with me having recently bought a new PC. Guess I'll just have to wait a bit. Oh well.

numskulls

Fixed.

Geez, I'm really worried.

I haven't preordered yet, and I don't know where to.

God Forbid you can't get the thing on release :P

Alright, who honestly expected this thing to be such a hit? Seriously, there wasn't even that much advertisement.

it's Nintendo.... it prints money!

http://www.nintendo-nation.net/wii-u-chat-eshop-applications/

Our keen eyes seem to have come in handy for once, as they’ve helped us to identify a few interesting tidbits which have remained hidden on the side of Nintendo’s official Wii U package artwork since last week…

It’s what’s underneath the “Connect” header that we’re interested in. Here’s what we have deciphered from the jumble of pixels we zoomed in on:

Make and share new Mii characters

Easily interact with friends, family and people around the world with Miiverse

Download add-on content, full games, classic games and applications from Nintendo eShop (all contents sold separately).

Communicate with other Wii U owners in real time with Wii U Chat

I'm guessing Wii-U chat is the video/messaging system we saw with the guy and OctoG123.

Also Reggie on Miiverse and Friend Codes

Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime recently spoke to Kotaku about the upcoming Wii U console. He touched up on several aspects of the console and its online connectivity. For example, Fils-Aime said that as soon as players turn on the Wii U, Miiverse will show up (provided users are connected online), and will show what your friends are doing, what games they are playing etc. That’s the “start screen” of the console, the first screen players will see — which is a radical departure from the start screens we see these days.

The start screen in Miiverse will display what your friends are up to, what games they are playing, and if you have the game, you can join in. With the new Nintendo TVii, you can also see which movies your Miiverse friends are watching, according to Reggie. To get to the menu or play a game, you simply hit the “Start” button.

Miiverse will be integrated into Wii U games (it’s optional, though). Reggie gives the example of New Super Mario Bros U, where players walk through the world map and can see messages and hints left by other players.

On the topic of Nintendo Network and the Wii U eShop online store, Reggie didn’t give any specific details, but did say, “We have spent a lot of time and invested a lot of money to get our connected experiences right”.

Finally, when it comes to Friend Codes, which is quite frankly the worst online friend system ever made, Reggie offered some hope. “We’ve heard the community feedback on friend codes and we’re making it dramatically easier for you to connect with your friend”. It’s nice to hear that they’ll make it “dramatically easier” than Friend Codes, but then again, that’s not so hard — it cannot possibly be worse than the Friend Code system we’re using today.

Darksiders 2 confirmed to be fully playable on the Wii U controller.

Darksiders 2 will allow gamers to play the game in its entirety with the Wii U GamePad, despite it not being demonstrated during the Wii U preview event.

Darksiders 2 is one of the Wii U launch titles, and although it was not shown during the preview event, Darksiders 2 will take full advantage of the Wii U GamePad.

A THQ spokesman has told Polygon, that "[The GamePad] works now, we just had it disabled for the NY event."

The touch pad will allow gamers to access the map while they play, the GamePad's motion control means you can move it side-to-side to make Death dodge and leap, but don't worry, the motion controls are not a necessity.

The most interesting and useful feature of the GamePad's touch screen allows players to choose from Death's abilities and inventory, and have them change instantly, omitting the need to pause the game, make the changes and then continue. It will definitely make for a more seamless play-through.

Developers are also planning to have the next two DLC packs, "The Abyssal Forge" and "The Demon Lord Belial", available through Nintendo's eShop, while the first DLC pack, "Argul's Tomb", plus the extra pre-order bonus content will be loaded on to the Wii U version of the game.

Very surprising considering the absolute brevity of the game and that not many games have actually touted the whole "it's completely playable on the screen" possibility.

Double post in lieu of news some people might not want to hear.

Junichi Masuda is not interested in making a Pokemon Snap sequel because the concept of "Photography" is not as new and interesting as it was back then. He's considering new ideas however, and hints about being interested in bringing the portable Pokemon experience to the Wii U.

I've never been interested in playing Pokémon Snap. What exactly makes it such a cult classic?

He's considering new ideas however, and hints about being interested in bringing the portable Pokemon experience to the Wii U.

This however is a very good thing.

Edited by Blue Blood

Just pre-ordered the Black Premium Wii U in store at Currys with a £10 deposit. They had a big poster advertising pre-orders in their games section, though none of the staff seemed to know anything about it until they saw the poster and looked it up on the system. Guess I was first at their store? laugh.png They don't have prices right now, but what won me over was that the guy said the deposit is refundable and that their price match will match any better offers and beat them by 10%. I don't expect them to beat any supermarket offers, but it's still cool. Currys usually has good prices on consoles and games anyway.

If anyone is interested in pre-ordering the Basic White model, it's just £2 deposit.

Double post in lieu of news some people might not want to hear.

Junichi Masuda is not interested in making a Pokemon Snap sequel because the concept of "Photography" is not as new and interesting as it was back then. He's considering new ideas however, and hints about being interested in bringing the portable Pokemon experience to the Wii U.

Pokemon staduim WiiU confirmed

Or Pokemon Black & White -3

The games actually look like a lot of fun. I could see myself playing these games over and over again. And no, this isn't another Wii Play (though, that Tank game!).

Reminds me of Wii Play; the games seem fun and it looks like something I'd enjoy

but only if it came with a free controller

It comes with a free console.

/s

It comes with a free console.

/s

Not in the basic edition, which is the one that most casual/non-gamers are going to buy.

It's for that reason that I see Nintendo Land as a huge missed opportunity. It really is the perfect introduction to Nintendo as a whole, and would be a very good way to instill interest in their various "hardcore" games in the eyes of casuals. Having it come packed in with the console is a very good idea for this reason.

... Unfortunately, it's doubtful that the majority of people who need an introduction to Nintendo would get the "Pro" edition or whatever it was they decided to call it, so its very existence just falls flat on its face in my eyes.

Looks like another "fun when friends are around but that's about it" party games. Not interested.

That was a joke Dissident (Hence the /s sarcasm). I was joking around saying that you pay $350 for the game and you get a free console and controller.

Nintendo Land definitely looks like it has a fair bit more to it than Wii Sports and pals. Probably wouldn't buy it on its own, but I could see myself having a decent amount of fun with it if I get the Premium bundle.

Not in the basic edition, which is the one that most casual/non-gamers are going to buy.

You must have not heard what Nintendo said. According to them the basic edition is for the core gamer, while premium is not.

You must have not heard what Nintendo said. According to them the basic edition is for the core gamer, while premium is not.

That doesn't make an iota of sense.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? I find it hard to believe that the edition with less storage space and the minimal amount of things you need is target toward core gamers.

I've got nothing.

What's even more jaw dropping is that Nintendo land is the kind of game that seems to draw the casual audience to Nintendo's main IPs and its included in the more expensive bundle, which I doubt that a casual will be willing to plop down.

• Thumbs Up 3