Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Hmmmm, the thought of 3DS to Wii U ports is neat if they do a little something extra. I'd love to see RE Revelations on the big screen. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Plus using the Genesis scanner screams holding the tablet up to the screen.

Jim Sterling theorizes the Wii U will have the least hardest time surviving this console generation.

Kind of interesting considering the other angle that's being approached.

I think he is making a really good point, there, especially with Nintendo saying they want the Miiverse to be the 'Gamer's Facebook', which is a rather lofty goal, admittedly, but they're trying to distance themselves from the space that their competitors, smart TVs and smartphones are moving in on.

Before watching that video, I didn't even know smart TVs were doing the stuff that Sony and MS' consoles are trying to do, but it's a big thing - how the hell do you compete when TVs are already doing the stuff that you're trying to do? The Wii U has the advantage of being able to use any kind of content off the TV.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Before watching that video, I didn't even know smart TVs were doing the stuff that Sony and MS' consoles are trying to do, but it's a big thing - how the hell do you compete when TVs are already doing the stuff that you're trying to do? The Wii U has the advantage of being able to use any kind of content off the TV.

Most smart TVs suck ass and all of them have awful interfaces. All they have to do is execute the idea better then a smart TV and they win. Not hard for either MS or Nintendo.

Furthermore, most people have a HDTV, rarely anyone has a SmartTV. better market penetration no?

• Thumbs Up 2

Most smart TVs suck ass and all of them have awful interfaces. All they have to do is execute the idea better then a smart TV and they win. Not hard for either MS or Nintendo.

Furthermore, most people have a HDTV, rarely anyone has a SmartTV. better market penetration no?

Smart Tv's has started impacting people really fast lately...I have a 45in 3D Smart TV with 1080PI in my BEDROOM and the thing only costed me 500$.

Its some REALLY high quality stuff for a very low price. The TV itself even upscales and buffs the framerates of OLDER movies...its insane what that thing can do for such a low price. Hell there are 90 inch Vizio Smart Tv's that only cost 2000$ By the time Microsoft and Sony put out stuff...Smart TV will be well enough spread around the world and the tech and interfaces inside will improve with firmware updates and what not.

Humans love to get the latest and greatest stuff...what Jim saying is pretty valid since history constantly repeats itself. I really see the Wii U being the Next PS2 it terms of sales to be honest...if its handled well.

Bayonetta 2 is just the start.

Edited by Voyant

Most smart TVs suck ass and all of them have awful interfaces.

Just like what Microsoft is progressively doing with each 360 dashboard redesign and Windows 8?

• Thumbs Up 5

It's not even out yet and it already has more games than the vita. COME ON SONY, PICK UP THE PACE.

It's because the Wii U is selling, meaning more Devs will make games for it, since the Vita isn't doing so well, it'll be the smarter choice for Devs to go develop for the Wii U. Take this in with the facts that Nintendo has strong IPs and have all that Nintendo money to pay Devs to make games on their console.

It's no surprise the Wii U is doing so well in the Games department compared to the vita

Edited by Rawrdom
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's because the Wii U is selling, meaning more Devs will make games for it, since the Vita isn't doing so well, it'll be the smarter choice for Devs to go develop for the Wii U. Take this in with the facts that Nintendo has strong IPs and have all that Nintendo money to pay Devs to make games on their console.

It's no surprise the Wii U is doing so well in the Games department compared to the vita

Not to mention that comparing a handheld console to a proper home console is a bit of underwhelming. Plus, Wii U actually has new gameplay possibilities compared to the Vita who is kiiiiiind of a PSP on steriods steroids.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aw man. No Rayman on launch day? Well, I assume we'll just get it the same week as you Europe, or the following, then.

Well, still, I shouldn't be complaining. I can get Assassin's Creed 3, New Super Mario Brothers U, Sonic & All Stars Racing, and Epic Mickey 2 with my shiny new Wii U.

Edited by King Of Awesome
  • Thumbs Up 1

OKay, uh, where the fuck is Rayman?

As long as it's out by christmas I'm fine, but I was expecting it to come out on launch day.

OKay, uh, where the fuck is Rayman?

As long as it's out by christmas I'm fine, but I was expecting it to come out on launch day.

You talk like the WiiU will be available to purchase before NEXT Christmas. Because it won't be.

You talk like the WiiU will be available to purchase before NEXT Christmas. Because it won't be.

I've been in the middle of the Wii rush before. Shit was brutal. Many casualties. but I got one. I should be able to get this one since it's not quite as popular as the Wii...

Right?

Well, still, I shouldn't be complaining. I can get Assassin's Creed 3, New Super Mario Brothers U, Sonic & All Stars Racing, and Epic Mickey 2 with my shiny new Wii U.

That's pretty much my launch day game list, save for replacing Assassin's Creed with Scribblenauts.

Anyway, I think the launch line up looks rather solid, especially when compared to the 3DS (Yeah, I know comparing a handheld to a console is unfair, but this looks to be a better launch for Nintendo).

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that they are counting all the games that releasing between the launch of the console to March of next year as "Launch titles." I don't really consider any game that isn't released within the same week of the console as a "Launch" title... but that's just me. Still... it's a nice line-up.

Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that they are counting all the games that releasing between the launch of the console to March of next year as "Launch titles." I don't really consider any game that isn't released within the same week of the console as a "Launch" title... but that's just me. Still... it's a nice line-up.

They're not though, they're calling them launch window games, if they did count launch window games as launch titles, then Rayman Legends and many more games would be on this list

• Thumbs Up 1

any news on UK launch line-up yet?

Eurogamer did a list and GAME have a list up too. You can still pre-order it over here, I know that where I work is still taking pre-orders anyway.

Launch day titles UK
  • Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • FIFA 13
  • Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Nintendo Land
  • Rayman Legends
  • ZombiU
  • Trine 2: Director's Cut
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Nano Assault Neo

Edited by Mollfie

Racing, first-person/third-person/top-down shooting, sports, platforming, mini-gaming, puzzling... that's got to be the most varied little launch day game list I've ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a bit of interview goodness about Scribblenauts Unlimited from Nintendo World Report.

]NWR: How many words are actually covered in the game? Is there a literal count that you have?

BA: They actual number is our trade secret! But we literally have tens of thousands of words that can each have any number of adjectives applied to them, so already we had crazy amount of combinations. With the new Object Editor, players can create their own objects and share them for you to download in your dictionary. I guess you could say there are an unlimited number of words.

NWR: How do you address words with multiple meanings?

BA: We ask the player to clarify when they enter an ambiguous word. For instance, if the player enters the word ‘bow,’ we ask them if they meant a musical bow, a weapon, or a bow you would find on a gift.

NWR: Wii U is the first console to get a Scribblenauts game. Controls aside, has the machine's power let you do anything not possible in previous games?

BA: Absolutely! The hardware on the WiiU is far beyond what the DS provided. We’re able to have high resolution, hand-drawn environments. All of our object art is now vector art, so we don’t lose visual quality when we scale objects. We’ve done away with the budget thermometer from previous games and let players go wild and add way more objects to the level than they ever could.

The launch line-up looks tempting, but there are so many non Wii U games I want this year. So I'm not getting a Wii U until the new Smash Bros comes out. It'll be worth the wait.