Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

You guys, I just realized that iwatas comment about the third party means: They dont mean to merely farm out to third parties, but let them actively bring proposals and prototypes to them, and compete to get funding to develop the game! this shall be interesting

It also means that a lotta development companies are proably going to give a shot at this, I mean who wouldnt want to work with a Classic Big N IP

You'd think it'd be a pretty simple system of as soon as the software isn't compatible with the latest hardware, especially if they've discontinued manufacturing the previous hardware, it'd be open season for the big hit games of those generations to be released for a decently cheap price range. Pokemon could bring in masses of sales alone due to the nostalgia factor, and games like Luigi's Mansion could get a new lease of life on a new console, especially after the sequel's recent-ish release.

Maybe because the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS?

That's exactly why it makes no sense to do Nintendo DS emulation on Wii U. 3DS sales are gigantically higher with the ability to play all your old DS games, so why would you buy them again to play on a Gamepad with two side on screens?

Buying DS games digitally on 3DS eShop just makes sense though. Soo much sense, why aren't they doin it?

GC games wouldn't work since Nintendo left out analogue triggers for some reason.

But yeah, they need to get GBA games on VC first. I'm not even sure how DS games could even be played on a Wii U

TV for top screen and Gamepad for touch screen, or maybe both screens on GamePad, idk.

3DS dominates in Japan so 3rd party want to develop for, overseas console dominates with developers focused on console and not portable

Iwata finally realising a pretty basic thing, Japan loves handhelds, Japanese devs love handhelds. West is the opposite, western devs prefer consoles.

But thinks with 3DS having 10m installed base developers are more interested, WiiU rebound will see 3rd party follow

This is a little more wishful thinking though. Wii U may not rebound at all, 3rd parties may never follow. Dummies.

All in all, seems like potentially good stuff in regards of the 3DS and Wii U. Especially regarding on taking further steps on making the Nintendo Network more flexible (ie. no more console attached purchases), improving the Wii U identity in both marketing and games and establishing more partnerships with external developers so they can create awesome entries in their IPs. Pretty happy overall!

Thanks for the summary, Azookara! Pretty clear and concise. =)

VC is a clusterfuck, I don't think they realise how much potential it has they're just doing what they feel like and totally forgetting many old games and stuff. GBA games were announced for Wii U VC like over a year ago lmao. GBA, GC, N64, DS, Wii, they're all in some pointless kind of limbo or they're being released on the wrong system. I wouldn't be surprised if we randomly saw Wii VC on 3DS next because that would make so much sense right!

Meanwhile Iwata is admitting the Wii U sucked last year.

Let alone the fact their pricing is ludicrous. I am more of a retro gaming collector and yet I wouldn't mind downloading some VC games as long as they are well priced. Only took promos such as the Wii's Hanabi Festival (ie. Sin & Punishment), 3DS Ambassador's Programme and Wii U's Famicom 30th Anniversary, and that's it. The rest? More variety and better pricing and then we will talk, Nintendo.

What the?! How did I miss that? I was on the page before! Oh well.

And about that "you're too slow" thing, I wasn't trying to be the first to bring that up. I was just trying to ask something about it, just so you know.

Basically my take of all this is, Iwata at least seems to have recognised where they failed, Miyamoto hasn't, he thinks the Wii U became safe once Mario came out, lol.

And while Iwata does recognise why the Wii U is failing, he hasn't explained what exactly they're going to do about it besides "focus more on 3DS spend a bit less money on Wii U"

The QOL thing better not take away from Nintendo's main two pillars that's all I can say, and it also better not eat up a sizeable chunk of E3 (inb4 it does).

Iwata= next time propose hardware will utilise what done on WiiU, cannot have console and portable separate systems,they are brother/sister

OH SNAP.

This is what I want.

This is what I want SO BAD.

So Miyamoto is saying that they now can allocate resources for new ideas like QoL and plan to build a flagship product for demonstration.

Miyamoto's new IP??? =P

Heres a thought, I think this is kinda Nintendos new plan with the licensing

Both Tecmo, and Namco come up with ideas for a new Pokemon Fighting game, and make Proof of concept models, and pitch them to nintendo, and nintendo either chooses one, or gives them both funds and allows them both to continue developing until they decide which one they wnat

Another example is Platinum doing a Starfox POF, and and I dont know, ummm Capcom providing another one

Or Sega proposing a F-zero game, and then SUMO proposes another idea for one

Company gets less profit, top employees get their pay cut.

IMAGINE if this was America. Company gets less profit, top employees lay off a billion people and then increase their own salary. >.<

• Thumbs Up 6

TV for top screen and Gamepad for touch screen, or maybe both screens on GamePad, idk.

That wouldn't work. While on paper they're the same idea, the DS executes it better because you can look at both screens at the same time without complications. A lot of DS games will be incompatible or at the very least unplayable. Hell, it's cheaper and more logical just to buy a damn DS and the actual game.

That wouldn't work. While on paper they're the same idea, the DS executes it better because you can look at both screens at the same time without complications. A lot of DS games will be incompatible or at the very least unplayable. Hell, it's cheaper and more logical just to buy a damn DS and the actual game.

Im going to assume that both the top and bottom screen will just be on full display on your regular TV

Well from the website:

14.jpg

So they'll probably be side on from each other, hopefully with customisation for left and right handed people. A smart choice would be to give you the option to hold your Gamepad vertically too. 

OH SNAP.

This is what I want.

This is what I want SO BAD.

And not only just that...!

Iwata=cannot have 2 to 3 different architectures, Apple has one iOS platform as does android, Nintendo has to do the same

Sounds to me Nintendo is planning on building its own ecosystem across their platforms. If that goes along the lines of a hybrid console, DO WANT!

• Thumbs Up 1

So, as it stands, the comment about "appealing to kids more" was somewhat proven to be false. QoL things is a more adult market.

DS virtual console games......on the Wii U, and not the 3DS?

Well, that's........odd, but hey, it would cool if some ds games got a graphic overhaul, I admit I wouldn't mind playing a remastered Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure.

Iwata= is sharing philosophy with another company and aligning with them, cannot do alone. Is this Disney?

...huh. Nintendo is merging with someone then...?

New release schedule.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221372

Still says Spring 2014 for Mario Kart 8, not May.

It's okay with me, as much as I really want it, and I want that game soooooo bad.

I want them to take their time on MK8 and Smash so that they really look and play good, as well as the online being good for them too.

Hopefully Kart be out in late April or May, possibly sooner than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad that Monolith's new game is supposedly coming this year.  Though why does it still not have a name yet, and why have we seen nothing of it since E3 :<

I'm glad that Monolith's new game is supposedly coming this year.  Though why does it still not have a name yet, and why have we seen nothing of it since E3 :<

Next Nintendo direct perhaps? I have a feeling they may have a big reveal and announcement planned for it

also wonder what the ETA on those DS games are, and since they now have an even bigger library of games to add to the VC I hope they start churning out 5-10 a week!

• Thumbs Up 1

With their new strategy of entering the health/fitness market, I wonder if sometime in the future, if that miraculously goes successful, they'll bow out of the gaming industry(assuming they still go downhill in this industry).

Eh, I could be wrong of course.

I dunno, I've kinda come to love it being called "X"...

Same here, the simplicity is nice, on the other hand, a full ittle might get less overlooked on a shelf, on the other hand maybe not, but if I had to quess we proably will be getting a full title soon

The full official presentation, Long but interesting

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html

Also Mario Kart is coming out in MAY, it was said so in the presentation

...huh. Nintendo is merging with someone then...?

Not merging but perhaps creating a big-scale partnership, I think Disney is very possible too, Disney have had nothing but praise for Nintendo lately and it could be because Nintendo have been giving them "favours" behind the scenes.

Kinky.

If Disney and Nintendo had a big partnership it could mean megabucks for Nintendo, and a more stable video game platform for Disney. I wonder..

• Thumbs Up 3