Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

License character IP= will now be more flexible, won't license everything, consider competitiveness or if undermine then not do

Heck yeah. Here's hoping that this will result in some more awesome games and fresh takes on old classics.

Nothing about the presentation really surprised me besides the possibility of other devs using Nintendo characters, the health thing I'm not sure about but so long as it doesn't replace their gaming stuff I don't care.

I guess they kind of already started doing this with the dlc for Sonic Lost World being an example.

3DS will be driver for next fiscal year, WiiU will not provide big profit but software titles will drive restoration

Just as I suspected on that front, however I am a little surprised they still intend to revive the Wii U. Hope it'll go at least slightly well.

License character IP= will now be more flexible, won't license everything, consider competitiveness or if undermine then not do

Already in discussion for licensing arrangements, no budget set, make profit in not so distant future

DAAAANG
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess they kind of already started doing this with the dlc for Sonic Lost World being an example.

Hyrule warriros and SMTXFE are the real examples of the start

Boy this is making me super happy and excited that I already have a Wii-U

Gotta point out what SuperLink said: if what Nintendo said about expanding their IPs in the form of more partnerships with external developers (mostly Japanese, most likely), then yes, bring it on! It's about time they bring some of their ol' and dormant IPs back in shape.

Also, good thing to see they will focus on the Wii U Gamepad and expose its identity and recognition both on marketing and future games too. I felt the console needs more games that takes full advantage of the Gamepad and things like Nintendo Land were great but died off throughout their releases in 2013.

EDIT:

whoa

WHOA

DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE COMING TO WII U?

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/428709750239272960

WHAT?

Why can't they bring it to 3DS that's confusing but still cool????? 

WAIT WHAT!? o_O Oookaaay~ Sooo... they cannot release it on the 3DS... which is strange... yet they release it on the Wii U which is... not so... strange?

• Thumbs Up 1

So basically Nintendo's gonna get it's head out of it's ass and be competent without losing who they are.

I like this. Very much. 

whoa

WHOA

DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE COMING TO WII U?

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/428709750239272960

WHAT?

Why can't they bring it to 3DS that's confusing but still cool????? 

WOAH..... I may have to get some of my favorite games again XD

Also this is both an insane, yet good idea, I mean it is a way to bring even more games to wii-u, add to that my ds is kinda worn out

Now give me a SUMO F-zero game, and A Platinum. Starfox

And you do realize their statement means that they will allow developers to come up with their own spinoff ideas and propose them to Nintendo to compete against other proposals

Miyamoto saying WiiU impacted by lack of key franchises, think is resolved, games are not boring, strong reviews for 3D World,

Miyamoto's view of "key franchises" is Mario, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Wii Music and Nintendogs. This is why he's not in charge.

I've never wanted to post a "You're Too Slow" macro more than now in my entire life.

So, it has been posted already? What page?

Nintendo are really confusing me with their VC approach. They haven't even managed to get GBA games out on 3DS and now they're bringing Nintendo DS to Wii U? Yet 3DS has a majority sales share with backward compatibility? What happened to the plans for GameCube VC on Wii U, wouldn't that be far more suiting? 

• Thumbs Up 8

So, the lowdown so far:

• Realizes that the Wii U's main moment of falling short is the Gamepad. Will continue to make it
    innovative as possible and try to possibly fix some of the software (and/or hardware?) troubles
    with it as well as shape up it's functionality and usage in more off-screen TV play, amongst
    other things

• 3DS will push main profits for this year (as it did before (blegh)) but they have two already
    announced games (Smash Bros and Mario Kart) that are definitely coming this year to increase
    console sales while they shape up the Wii U as a whole (note: this doesn't mean just Smash
    & Kart, for they could also be implying things about as-of-yet unannounced titles.)

• A possiblity that Nintendo ID will become much more flexible. There's been implications that
    it'll no longer be restricted to consoles and now maybe on something that works better for
    everyone thank God, as well it's usage on not only the already-available online structure but
    also extensive use on smartphones / smart devices. I'm guessing more news on this later.

• Nintendo's gonna be more flexible with their IPs and start letting other companies grab the
    licenses so they could do badass shit with it OH GOD BOOM HELL YES BRING IT ON

• Vitality Sensor 2.0 will be a new prospect in the future yadda yadda we'll care when we get out 
    of this hole, Ninty (neat idea tho)

• Nintendo DS Virtual Console for Wii U..?!?!?!

Basically as a whole so far, so far so good.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Would have expected DS VC on 3DS, not Wii U. Still cool, I guess.

VC is a clusterfuck, I don't think they realise how much potential it has they're just doing what they feel like and totally forgetting many old games and stuff. GBA games were announced for Wii U VC like over a year ago lmao. GBA, GC, N64, DS, Wii, they're all in some pointless kind of limbo or they're being released on the wrong system. I wouldn't be surprised if we randomly saw Wii VC on 3DS next because that would make so much sense right!

Meanwhile Iwata is admitting the Wii U sucked last year.

GC games wouldn't work since Nintendo left out analogue triggers for some reason.

But yeah, they need to get GBA games on VC first. I'm not even sure how DS games could even be played on a Wii U