Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Will experiment with this model on WiiU, changing attitude to licensing IP and will seek partner to expand exposure

ooOOOOOHHHHHHH

• Thumbs Up 5

David Gibson @gibbogame 1.94m super Mario 3d world, 1.74m new super Mario bro u, 151m new super luigi u, 1.24m win party u, 1.15m wind walker=all for wiiu

1.94 million units in a month and a half within a 5.83 million install base is not bad at all. Heh, who said Super Mario 3D World didn't sell at all?

Gotta keep reading his Twitter feed!

EDIT: Aren't embedded tweets compatible in IP.Board? o.ô

Edited by Kaabiitorori

Sounds like there are no plans to use NNID to integrate 3DS and Wii U closer together, just for "future handheld and console". Very disappointing, I wonder if they realise how dang far away that is.

Also, NNID on smartphones is nothing new, a Miiverse app was confirmed about a year ago, so there's probably more to it than that.

I'm really not sure what this "on demand service" stuff is all about.

Ah, not to worry:

Will experiment with this model on WiiU, changing attitude to licensing IP and will seek partner to expand exposure

So they'll give it a test run on Wii U, then.

"In emerging markets plan to push into in 2015, want to establish user relationship,  understand prices need to be lower"

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

"Nintendo may not be releasing its popular franchise on other platforms, but Mr. Iwata says the company will license Nintendo game character rights to new partners."

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's really quite brilliant to see Nintendo is acknowledging the issues they have right now and has the plans to overcome them. There might be hope yet!

understand prices need to be lower

YES PLEASE *ahem* especially on digital titles. Ridiculous prices on the eShop right now,

Investors may not be feeling the presentation. Nintendo’s shares turn down on the Tokyo bourse.

Hm. Wall Street Journal.

$NTDOY is into negative territory for the day, down 2.41% to 12,570 yen on news of not putting games on smartphones. http://t.co/v3jyjP9uUQ

— Cheesemeister (@Cheesemeister3k) January 30, 2014

OH FOR FUCKS SAKES

Hm. Wall Street Journal.

Extremely predictable kneejerk reaction. Japan breathes smartphone games at the moment, and after the Nikkei report earlier this week Nintendo's investors were literally expecting Nintendo games on smartphones.

The confirmed lack of Nintendo on smartphone probably has a lot of Japanese investors very angry, there's genuinely no way they could have avoided that sans actually making smartphone games, unfortunately.

"What’s Mr. Iwata going to focus on for the next 10 years? The main theme: enhancing the quality of life through entertainment. The key word is health, Mr. Iwata says. Citing a flood of wearable devices already on the market, he says Nintendo is trying out something completely new: non-wearables to monitor your health."

Okay Nintendo don't eff this up just explain whatever this new-fangled thing is out of the way and DO NOT FOCUS ON THIS FOR THE REST OF YOUR SHOW.

EDIT: And the show is over..?

Hmm.

As expected, the moment the presentation ends there are swarms of questions about Nintendo's smartphone plans. Japanese entertainment sure is single-minded lately.

"What’s Mr. Iwata going to focus on for the next 10 years? The main theme: enhancing the quality of life through entertainment. The key word is health, Mr. Iwata says. Citing a flood of wearable devices already on the market, he says Nintendo is trying out something completely new: non-wearables to monitor your health."

I think I should just come to terms with the fact that the Nintendo I used to like is long gone now. :/

The Wii U Bed. It wears U.

I'm interested to see how they're not only going to change the perception on the Gamepad to consumers, but also alter the Gamepad so it feels like a more wholesome experience as a console. Hm. So long as it isn't gimmicky and nasty I'm down with it. Then again I guess some would call the Gamepad a gimmick, so...

I think I should just come to terms with the fact that the Nintendo I used to like is long gone now. :/

They still make great games and it's not like all of their games will be fitness based.

That's actually pretty smart when you think about it.

The market for healthy living and whatnot is massive, and Wii Fit's success is a testament to that. I'm curious to see what they have in mind, and how it'll push sales for that "Wii Fit/Sports" niche. 

I have no qualms against Nintendo for focusing both on legit hardcore gaming as well as more family oriented and exercise/health entertainment. Gives Nintendo that all-around edge, ya know?

• Thumbs Up 5

As long as Nintendo get to keep making good games and be successful I don't really care what else they do.

Also, I think it needs to be said that Nintendo isn't a video games company first and foremost, they're an entertainment company who've been going for over 100 years and gaming just happens to be their most recent big thing. If they have a new idea for entertainment why not? Especially if they can make video games too.

Nothing about the presentation really surprised me besides the possibility of other devs using Nintendo characters, the health thing I'm not sure about but so long as it doesn't replace their gaming stuff I don't care.

sooooo, anything on marketing?

Iwata fully recognises that the Wii U's biggest problem is the GamePad and its lack of recognition/identity/whatever, so probably will be some changes on how the console is viewed in marketing.

sooooo, anything on marketing?

Marketing will rise as proportion roof revenue but type will change and especially for smart devices

Not sure what that will entail.

As long as Nintendo get to keep making good games and be successful I don't really care what else they do.

Also, I think it needs to be said that Nintendo isn't a video games company first and foremost, they're an entertainment company who've been going for over 100 years and gaming just happens to be their most recent big thing. If they have a new idea for entertainment why not? Especially if they can make video games too.

Nothing about the presentation really surprised me besides the possibility of other devs using Nintendo characters, the health thing I'm not sure about but so long as it doesn't replace their gaming stuff I don't care.

That has me the most excited, because that means we might just see F-zero, Star Fox, and others again soon

That's actually pretty smart when you think about it.

The market for healthy living and whatnot is massive, and Wii Fit's success is a testament to that. I'm curious to see what they have in mind, and how it'll push sales for that "Wii Fit/Sports" niche. 

I have no qualms against Nintendo for focusing both on legit hardcore gaming as well as more family oriented and exercise/health entertainment. Gives Nintendo that all-around edge, ya know?

Exactly. I mean, if they are gonna shoehorn health and fitness on their games then definitely it's facepalm worthy. But if they can focus on both legit hardcore gaming and family oriented stuff altogether, I don't see any problem with this whatsoever. As long as their games remain being the games we have been enjoying in the past years, then I am all okay with this.