Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nintendo denies 'mini games on mobile' report

Publisher unequivocally denies latest rumours leaking from Japan

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447079/nintendo-denies-mini-games-on-mobile-report/

There, clear as water. Using smart devices as a form of advertisement would make much more sense than shoehorning demos or minigames on smartphones. Perhaps something more akin to the Nintendo Channel featured on the Wii...

Satoru Iwata and Shigeru Miyamoto to take pay cuts

Nintendo execs and board members to have salary reduced by up to 50 per cent

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447224/satoru-iwata-and-shigeru-miyamoto-to-take-pay-cuts/

Pretty much like what happened back in 2011 when the 3DS was struggling. Iwata may not be a perfect CEO by any means (no CEO in the world is perfect anyway!), but he knows how to admit they have messed up and therefore take responsibilities without compromising their employees. Such a thing would never happen in many other companies: there would have been major lay-offs and bonuses for the higher ups .

Major respect. =)

Nintendo reports revenue and profit declines

Yet corporation is still in the black for nine month period

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/447219/nintendo-reports-revenue-and-profit-declines/

Pretty much tells the 3DS is printing money but the Wii U is burning a good amount of it, yet they manage to stay in the black overall. As of 31st December, Wii U sold 5.86 million units and the 3DS sold 42.74 million units. Counting the entire month of January, the Wii U and the 3DS must have crossed the 6 and 43 million line by now respectively. TBH, it's pretty much what I expected and sets ahead to the more realistic forecast change applied weeks ago.

It will be interesting to see in the Q3 Earnings Presentation how will they project their business strategy...

• Thumbs Up 1

As of 31st December, Wii U sold 5.86 million units and the 3DS sold 42.74 million units.

Actually this is just counting units shipped, not sold. They still get all the revenue but it's worth noting that technically this includes however many units are in stock with retailers.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=221329

Iwata explains share buyback, working on rebuilding Nintendo, Wii U 'isn't in good shape'

Coming from Satoru Iwata...

“That won’t merit shareholders, that’s why we decided on the buyback, but that’s not all the reason. We’ve been rewarding our shareholders mainly through high dividends, but we cannot generate as much profit as we used to make. 

I’m concentrating my mind on how to rebuild Nintendo rather than how I would take responsibility when things don’t work out in the future. The Wii U isn’t in good shape. That’s the presumption we have as we consider reform.”

Shine on you crazy Iwata. You're making us proud. :'v

• Thumbs Up 2

Hope Iwata can pull out an all-new marketing strategy. In my opinion, they need to try and target the gamers in their advertising, like Sony and Microsoft are doing, instead of just trying to appeal to the families and casuals. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. They tried doing it before but I think with them only working on Nintendoland, NSMBU and the then-upcoming Pikmin, it was a bad time to do it since it just made them look tiny compared to the blockbuster games coming out alongside it. 

Maybe this time with actual games to show they have a proper chance.

That said,  I saw some hard to miss advertising cardboard stands for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in HMV and GAME today. They had promotional boxes out on the shelves for that and Mario Kart 8. GAME's still not fixed their Wii U demo pod, though. It's been out of order for a few weeks now. 

An all new marketing strategy, like... not releasing new versions of the original Wii every time you launch a new ad campaign for the Wii U?

Scandalous.

Most people whining about Lost World haven't even played it. The game sold like 5 copies? 4 were by me and Tornado bought one.

Nah, I took it back today and bought her a copy of Scribblenauts Unlimited instead.

I still have no idea why the hell they did that in the West. Nintendo actually discontinued the Wii in Japan rather than pumping out the oddity that is the Wii Mini,

• Thumbs Up 2

The Wii U sold just under 8.5k in Japan this week, not surprised that these measures are being done right now.

The following comments come from Satoru Iwata...

- he is “thinking on how to make the company stand up again”

- believes that one of the problems of the current generation is that Nintendo wasn’t successful enough in attracting the youngest areas of its target customer base

- "We haven’t been targeting children enough."

This is the stuff that is starting to break me.

Well, tomorrow at 8PM EST, Nintendo is holding an investor meeting to talk about how they are going to approach business in the future.

This is the stuff that is starting to break me.

Well, tomorrow at 8PM EST, Nintendo is holding an investor meeting to talk about how they are going to approach business in the future.

seems kinda off to me, I mean ya sure they are missing some of the younger demographic, but really, what they need to work on is aiming the older demographic more

Eff it, we're dead. We're dead, guys. Dead.

RIP.

maybe the investors can knock some sense into him?

Eff it, we're dead. We're dead, guys. Dead. Abort.

RIP.

Apparently, it's a mistranslation. What he really said was "Targeting Children is not enough". We'll have to wait for clarification.

Apparently, it's a mistranslation. What he really said was "Targeting Children is not enough". We'll have to wait for clarification.

Ohhhhh, that would be good, then agian another thing is we might be interpenting it, he might be reffering to children In JAPAN

Alright then, good. FALSE ALARM.

That's much better.

Now where's the source to confirm this? That's all I need.

• Thumbs Up 7

From a Japanese GAFfer - 

Nah, it's pretty clear. After all, all the Japanese people commenting on the story know what he means. If he wanted to say they weren't appealing to adults enough, then he would've simply said 大人へのアプローチが十分ではなかった or 子供たち以外 or something similar. I think the problem is you are translating it literally to English and then trying to understand it as if it were an English sentence.

Either way we find out in a few hours.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seriously hope you're right dude because I raised so many eyebrows at this.

Don't get me wrong I'll defend Mario and Pokémon til the cows come home but Iwata is in denial if he thinks they're not doing enough for kids.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I've got is this right now.

「子どもたちへのアプローチが十分ではなかった」"Targeting children isn't enough," not "We're not targeting children enough."

From someone named Robert Ward. Not quite sure who he is. But the Japanese text is what Iwata actually said.

Got a more literal translation.

Our approach towards(targeting) children has been insufficient.

Someone read into that as "LOL GONNA MAKE MORE GAMES FOR KIDS". It COULD mean that, but it more likely means that their child targeted marketing is not working.

• Thumbs Up 3

All I've got is this right now.

From someone named Robert Ward. Not quite sure who he is. But the Japanese text is what Iwata actually said.

Also, the fact is that we are getting this info from dualshockers at the moment(which is where GoNintendo is linking from), there is a chance of them interpreting it in the worst possible way to cause panic

If it's saying what you're saying it says, Ralphy-boy, then that's a relief and a half. But if not.. urhughfjfd.

Either way we find out in a few hours.

So what's a "few hours" to us? We talking by the next 12 hours? 24? 6? 180? Xbox One? Jupiter?