Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Nintendo has definitely stepped up their advertising. Just been in my local shopping centre and Super Mario 3D World ads were on all of the lift doors (different character on each door) and there were giant posters hanging from the ceiling all around the centre.

Nintendo has definitely stepped up their advertising. Just been in my local shopping centre and Super Mario 3D World ads were on all of the lift doors (different character on each door) and on the giant hanging posters.

That's good. What shopping center was this?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the PS2 didn't really "embrace" online play all that much, either, only the Xbox had it from the start, and the PS2 also required an adapter, if I remember correctly. It was only during the previous gen that online really became standard, and by that time Nintendo had pretty much caught up by enabling online play with the DS and then the Wii, even if its implementation was, well, different.

I really don't think the Wii and DS could be called "caught up" at all. Definitely not online integration.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I saw those too when I was up there recently, made my partner comment on them, it's pretty hard to miss them!

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo has definitely stepped up their advertising. Just been in my local shopping centre and Super Mario 3D World ads were on all of the lift doors (different character on each door) and there were giant posters hanging from the ceiling all around the centre.

That's the same as what's in my local shopping centre, so it sounds like it's a nationwide thing Nintendo is doing! About time, too!

• Thumbs Up 2

So I went to Walmart at like 2am to see what they had and...

LPJYPWi.jpg

Oh boy. Wii U and Wii just stuffed together in one.

The sad part? Xbox, One, PS3, and PS4 all had 4 displays and were separated by system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aren't XBox 360/One and PS3/4 not backwards compatible?  But Wii U and Wii are.  You have to sort the former two separately from their predecessor system, but if you're assuming people are coming for a Wii U and Wii U games, which is reasonable considering that that's what it says up top, then it seems reasonable to mix Wii games in there.

Aren't XBox 360/One and PS3/4 not backwards compatible?  But Wii U and Wii are.  You have to sort the former two separately from their predecessor system, but if you're assuming people are coming for a Wii U and Wii U games, which is reasonable considering that that's what it says up top, then it seems reasonable to mix Wii games in there.

360 was, One isn't. First edition PS3's were, PS4 isn't.

So I went to Walmart at like 2am to see what they had and...

LPJYPWi.jpg

Oh boy. Wii U and Wii just stuffed together in one.

The sad part? Xbox, One, PS3, and PS4 all had 4 displays and were separated by system.

That's pretty much what you see in every Walmart. At least where I live.

Yeah some stores here also mixing the two games together. It's so stupid. Then they put signs like: "the wiiu games don't work on the wii system".

Yeah they are mixing the two things and then they don't want people to be confused. I know it's true Nintendo hasn't done a lot of marketing, but some fault comes from retailers as well.

I haven't seen any Wii or Wii U mixing in my area, thankfully.

I remember there was this mother buying a Wii U game for her son. She didn't have a Wii U, and she insisted that she knew what she was doing when she told the cashier.

I've never seen her again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They did the same thing when the 3DS was new.

I recall the PS3 section at Gamestop being really small too. Don't remember if it was mixed in with PS2 but it was tiny for the first year or two.

This stuff happens.

Whenever get their shit together expect circumstances to improve.

Right now there aren't nearly enough Wii U games that actually sell to warrant a big section anyway.

I wouldn't count on it. Look to right of the picture. 3DS and regular DS games still in the same case.

Plus the case section clearly says Wii U on it. This isn't some conspiracy against the Wii U: It's just what Wal-Mart does.

It's not much but apparently the Wii U Is One Of The Winners Of Black Friday & Cyber Monday “Deals Awards” For Kid’s

Rainbow Loom, Lego, and Wii U are the winners of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2013 “Deals Awards” for kid’s toys and gifts. Announced today by the Cyber Week Awards, the first, second, and third place winners were selected based on the pricing and available deals on this holiday shopping season’s most popular kid’s toys and gifts. Several other toys, such as Skylanders Swap Force and Barbie, are also included on a secondary list of products that received an “honorable mention.”

The Wii U, when compared to the PS4 (“Playstation 4″) and the Xbox One, may not seem to be the most popular toy this holiday season. However, the Wii U is a clear winner for younger kids interested in video games. It offers more interaction for children and has many more games tailored to a younger audience. For example, the toy-based video games appearing on the honourable mentions list, Disney Infinity and Skylanders Swap Force, are very popular among youngsters at the moment. Additionally, the Wii U is less expensive than the PS4 and the Xbox One. For these reasons, the Wii U earned the third place award.

My Nintendo News

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not too surprised to see Wii and WiiU stuff mixed together at Wal-mart. IT"S WALMART! They don't have a clue what they are doing usually and often times don't care usually. I would always rather go to a Gamestop over a Walmart when it comes to video games. You can at least ask questions as a Gamestop, while the ones at walmart, you are lucky if they even know what the systems are sometimes. Those people just often don't care.

I can easily see how that would cause a big mix up with the systems, but I've shown my mom stuff like this before and she wasn't confused at all. She has been around me and consoles forever though. She doesn't play herself, but she can recognize that the Wii and WiiU aren't the same thing, because it flat out says WiiU on the box and she can tell they look different. I know she has a bit of an advantage with having been around me and consoles over the years, but she even stated that someone at least paying attention would clearly see the difference between the two of them. Yet, I still hear all those stories of people confusing them. Backwards compatibility is something that some people would expect with things, but forwards compatibility, I'm not sure people should expect.

Is there a reason why you're sounding kind of spiteful in that post there?

I recall the PS3 section at Gamestop being really small too. Don't remember if it was mixed in with PS2 but it was tiny for the first year or two.

This stuff happens.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't read too much into it either. They actually still have the DS and 3DS section combined in a lot of stores even, and the 3DS is actually quite the money maker now. If anything it does have something to do with backwards compatibility.

Playstation 4 sales did actually drop by 90% from the following week. That's likely to do more with lower stock, or lack of games, than anything. Of course it's not going to continue to sell millions each day, but it'll do all right.