Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

I think the list was confirmed fake, wasn't it? Either way, a new Yoshi's Island would be lovely. But you know if they did make one, it would rely solely on nostalgia and bring practically nothing new to the table. Such is Nintendo and Mario right now.

Also, three days left. I'm getting really excited.

Oh, I must have dreamed the part where they had to cut the price by a whooping 50% in its first year and throw a shitload of cash to third parties to get huge franchises out asap. And the fact that's only helped them sell the thing decently in one region out of three.

Pretty sure it's still outperforming the PSP which didn't do badly at all, it might be doing badly by industry inflation standards but.

The price thing was definitely stupid, I think that was Nintendo's own pride making it so hard for them to sell a console at a loss even if it looks bad value for money (and it was).

It's been quite a while since it did great numbers. PS3 and 360 still retain their attractive this far into the generation, but despite the huge lead the Wii has fallen far enough it won't ever reach previous market leader records. It's certainly no PS2.

Besides, all of those consoles sold and yet nobody bothered to release multiplats on it. Why ignore such a huge userbase? Because they're not the types that'd buy these games.

That and it's difficult to release multiplats on it, it's not very port-able (haha), and Nintendo have already stopped supporting it. Sony didn't even need to give the PS2 first-party support for its whole ten year run, it practically supported itself, which is why third party support is so important and I really hope Nintendo realise that next gen.

Sure, but so is writing bad teenage vampire fanfic novels. Me and my worthwhile third party support will just go over there ;P

Apples n oranges, Reggie was making a marketing statement which is the truth and if he had made Twilight he'd be laughin' in the money despite how much people may hate him for it. His point is you can't rely on power alone to grab all the demographics anymore, it's true, and hopefully Nintendo will likewise realise you can't expect the same marketing to work two gens in a row.

In all fairness, compared to Twilight the Wii isn't that bad wink.png

Edited by SuperLink

I think the list was confirmed fake, wasn't it? Either way, a new Yoshi's Island would be lovely. But you know if they did make one, it would rely solely on nostalgia and bring practically nothing new to the table. Such is Nintendo and Mario right now.

Also, three days left. I'm getting really excited.

It was? Fuck. :/ Well, I heard that they're announcing a new game on the 10th of December, so whatever that is I'm sure it will be cool.

And not necessarily. Donkey Kong Country Returns, despite selling itself as a nostalgic reboot, felt to me more like a true successor to the Country franchise and placed itself as my alltime favorite Donkey Kong game, so you never know.

And not necessarily. Donkey Kong Country Returns, despite selling itself as a nostalgic reboot, felt to me more like a true successor to the Country franchise and placed itself as my alltime favorite Donkey Kong game, so you never know.

Forreal? I never put much time into it because rolling was so annoying but if you say it's that good it makes me want to try it again.

Forreal? I never put much time into it because rolling was so annoying but if you say it's that good it makes me want to try it again.

How far did you get? Honestly, it does literally everything better than any previous Donkey Kong game (Except music, which is all remixes, but I guess they're technically better than previous entries), in my opinion. The level design is fantastic, graphics amazing and beautifully animated, it's loaded with content and replay value, especially for a 2D platformer, and overall it's just a really full package and it's in my top favorite platformers.

Yeah, DKCR was develeoped by Retro Studios and is Donkey Kong. Yoshi is still Mario, and I worry Nintendo would practically carbon-copy the original. The DS game by Artoon was cool. It was a good mix of retro-revival and new content.

Edited by Blue Blood

Haha, didn't consider this this, but it's pretty cool. Basically some guy took his Wii U on a train, plugged it into the outlets that most trains have these days and played away thanks to the the Game Pad. It's like an even more impractical SEGA Game Gear!

I was doing this earlier at a friend's place while he was playing his 360. Hooking this up not required, a synced gamepad is all that's needed and you're good to go (for the most part).

I don't think I finished the first world, I got frustrated because well it's really difficult- even in the first world!

But when it's difficult because of rolling when you don't want to or rolling when you want to, it's frustrating. The only reason I was ok with Mario Galaxy's wagglespin is because it rarely actually got you killed-

So honestly if rolling could be mapped to a button I would like the game soo much more than I do :P

Except the two times (in a row) where that didn't happen (and the first year of the 3DS' life).

Which, again, is the only reason people were so skeptical about the Wii and DS in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Except the two times (in a row) where that didn't happen (and the first year of the 3DS' life).

Which, again, is the only reason people were so skeptical about the Wii and DS in the first place.

Do you mean N64 and GC? They may not have done amazingly sales-wise but they made Nintendo a lot of money, unlike competitors they weren't selling at a loss (they always manage to avoid that in some way, minus with the 3DS)

Speaking of which, did I miss something? Maybe I was under a rock (or simply hiding from the gaming community) last year, but I was always under the impression the 3DS, while not doing amazingly, was never doing as terribly as people act it did here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Speaking of which, did I miss something? Maybe I was under a rock (or simply hiding from the gaming community) last year, but I was always under the impression the 3DS, while not doing amazingly, was never doing as terribly as people act it did here.

It wasn't doing TERRIBLY. It just wasn't flying off the shelf like people expected it to.

Out of curiosity, what do people here make of the Pro controller compared to the PS3 and 360 ones? I've not heard much about it.

That's where third party support will be, though. Developers want a reasonable spec jump and consumers want games that run good. Else you're risking a Wii-type wasteland of game releases.

Most Wii games ran better than 360 and PS3 games. They might have been prettier but, most ran like a boatload of ass.

Out of curiosity, what do people here make of the Pro controller compared to the PS3 and 360 ones? I've not heard much about it.

I have it.

It is very comfortable and IMO much better than the 360/PS3 gamepads. You finally have that A+ D-Pad on a "normal" controller. My only complaint is that the back shoulder buttons aren't pressure sensitive and they're a little small.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, DKCR was develeoped by Retro Studios and is Donkey Kong. Yoshi is still Mario, and I worry Nintendo would practically carbon-copy the original. The DS game by Artoon was cool. It was a good mix of retro-revival and new content.

To be fair, the NSMB series is the only Mario series that is a carbon copy of anything. The Galaxy games are 100% original, Paper Mario Sticker Star was so different it got people upset, etc.

Plus, DK is just as Mario as Yoshi is, perhaps a little less because Yoshi still makes appearances in new games. DK is in every Mario Party, Kart, etc, Mario premiered in the original Donkey Kong, etc. If they actually are making a new Yoshi game, I doubt it'll be as boring a rehash as NSMB is, and even if it is, seeing Yoshi's Island in HD would be beautiful, so bring it on.

• Thumbs Up 3

How far did you get? Honestly, it does literally everything better than any previous Donkey Kong game (Except music, which is all remixes, but I guess they're technically better than previous entries), in my opinion. The level design is fantastic, graphics amazing and beautifully animated, it's loaded with content and replay value, especially for a 2D platformer, and overall it's just a really full package and it's in my top favorite platformers.

Most of the music was actually new.....I think. Anyway, well said. I agree completely. I was surprised to see Retro Studios introducing new ideas and at the same time managed to keep the retro feel of the original DKC games.

I'd love it if Retro Studios was involved with the New Super Mario Bros series(a series whose formula doesn't change too much), which I still get some enjoyment out of though.

Edited by canderson

I'd rather Retro focus their time on a series that needs a revival than on Mario. The NSMB series is bland, but there are so many Mario sub-series we really don't need any more time and money devoted to them for them to be successful. Retro brought back Metroid and Donkey Kong with success, hopefully we'll see them bring back another series too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have it.

It is very comfortable and IMO much better than the 360/PS3 gamepads. You finally have that A+ D-Pad on a "normal" controller. My only complaint is that the back shoulder buttons aren't pressure sensitive and they're a little small.

What exactly makes that shape a "normal" controller? Out of curiosity.

What exactly makes that shape a "normal" controller? Out of curiosity.

You know we're talking about the Pro Controller and not the GamePad.

The Wii was already second only to the Gamecube in terms of portability (handhelds not withstanding), so I'm really not seeing the point in this. Unless it's cheaper to manufacture it seems like a waste of money on Ninty's part, and it might just distract some people from the WiiU to boot.

Edited by The Cheese

Yep, Nintendo has just made the Wii U launch 50% more confusing to potential customers and given the shop staff an even harder job of selling this stuff.

> Unsuspecting parents go out to buy "the new Wii"

> See Wii Mini on shelves

> Assume it is new console

> ???????

> PROFIT

Cue plenty of upset children on Christmas morning.

Why can't I like this 10 times? :(