Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

You'd figure that if they were really that hardcore about CoD they would've already moved to 360, given the deal they have with Activision to get the DLC one month early. And if they're really that addicted, I don't think they'll mind losing their stats on the PS3. CoD has set the mindset with its prestige system that restarting is okay.

..Report: UK retailers say PS3 trade-ins doubling due to PSN outage

The report says.

reginald-d-hunter.jpg

They... they wha?

So let me see if I understand this... they've giving up their PS3s... along with their COD accounts which have all their data on it... only to start completely from scratch on a totally different system?

Like I said a few pages back lol what idiots!

Black Ops is serious business, don't tink of it as a rehash of the same shit Activision has been giving their loyal sheep consumers for the past 6 or 7 years, think of it as the best thing sense Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2... wait...

I wonder what some people will feel like when they trade in their ps3's and a day or so later it's back online.

Hey, look at it from their perspective. They could wait for PSN to get back up, or they could trade in their PS3, give up all progress in their games, and be unable to play any of their PS3 exclusives ever again.

It's a really simple choice if you're impatient and don't think about it for too long.

Edited by Ekaje

..Report: UK retailers say PS3 trade-ins doubling due to PSN outage

The report says.

reginald-d-hunter.jpg

They... they wha?

So let me see if I understand this... they've giving up their PS3s... along with their COD accounts which have all their data on it... only to start completely from scratch on a totally different system?

Like I said a few pages back lol what idiots!

You forgot to mention the part where they now have to pay to play online =P, instead of waiting to play online for free.

SEGA's not complaining.

Sega backs PlayStation Network to bounce back after down time

Thursday 12-May-2011 6:14 PM

PSN is "a big part of our future" says Sega West production VP

Sega has backed Sony in wake of the ongoing PSN down time saying that it and Creative Assembly have no concerns about the PlayStation Network as the Total War studio begins to move into AAA console gaming.

The publisher announced earlier today that Creative Assembly is behind the wheel on a new Alien game that it hopes will take position as a peer to the likes of Dead Space 2.

With this new push further into the console arena on the table we asked whether the current PSN crisis was a concern.

"It hasn't affected us at all to be honest," said Creative Assembly's creative director Tim Heaton. "I'm sure, commercially, from a Sega side they would have something to say about it but for us, no, it's a blip."

Gary Dunn, senior vice president for production at Sega West and Sega America cleared up the publisher's point of view:

"From a Sega perspective; we're invested in online gaming, we see PSN, as we see Xbox Live, as a big part of our future. We wish the guys at Sony all the best in rectifying the issues they have and they have our full support."

Heaton emphasised again that there are no concerns from the studio regarding the PlayStation Network as a viable platform going forward.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301160/sega-backs-playstation-network-to-bounce-back-after-down-time/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Yeah I've seen this on a few sites, aparently a few people on GAF have also confirmed that parts of the dev network are back up. Which is very good news indeed... but... JO STEAL MA PSN!

In other words... I don't mind waiting... but I would really really like to sync my trophies soon. :(

Seems like a step in the right direction in getting PSN back online. Hopefully the store will follow suit.

More details of compensation for the downtime have been announced.

* all impacted players will receive 30 days of game time added to the end of the current billing cycle in addition to one day for each day the system is down. (Thats likely to be PSN+ users, DCUO, Netflix etc)

* Additionally, many games are offering a variety of in-game items and special events to welcome players back once our services resume (per the outline below). This is true for both PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system based products.

•DC Universe™ Online: Batman™ and Two-Face™ Inspired Masks and 30 Marks of Distinction

•Free Realms®: Free daily items (7 to collect)

•Clone Wars Adventures™: Count Dooku v2 Outfit

•EverQuest®: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Rare Mob Spawns and Double Faction Gains

•EverQuest II and EverQuest II Extended: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Guild XP, Loot Bonanza, and City Festivals

•Vanguard: Saga of Heroes®: A series of Double XP events

•Star Wars Galaxies™: Bounty Hunter Statue, a miniature model of Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I™

•Magic: The Gathering - Tactics™: Four of each of these spells: "Ivory Mask", "Duress" and "Angelheart Vial", plus 500 Station Cash

•PoxNora®: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back 5K Gold Award Tournaments and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash

* For lifetime subscribers, in-game currency; specifically 20,000 coins for Free Realms, 7,500 Galactic Credits for Clone Wars Adventures and 10 Marks of Distinction for DC Universe Online (in addition to the items listed above).

* Station Access subscribers will receive 500 Station Cash, in addition to the subscription time and items listed above.

Well... I don't own... any of those games. :(

I'm fairly sure we were all aware of the compensations as far as games with online subscriptions is considered.

I'm more interested in the supposed "games" we're getting.

The plot thickens...

Hackers used Amazon servers to take down PlayStation Network - report

Saturday 14-May-2011 6:52 PM

Web services cloud employed as tool in attack, says Bloomberg source

The hackers who brought down the PlayStation Network last month may have used Amazon's cloud-based server to assist their attack.

That's according to a Bloomberg source, with the business media outlet reporting that Sony's nemesis used an alias to rent a server through Amazon's EC2 service - and then and launched the attack from there. The Amazon cloud account itself is not thought to have been hacked, but rather used legitimately under a fake name.

According to the source, the account has now been shut down. An Amazon spokesperson declined to comment, whilst Sony's Patrick Seybold offered:

"We're continuing to work with law enforcement in an ongoing investigation into the situation. As such, we will not comment further on this matter."

Bloomberg adds: 'The breach at Amazon is likely to call attention to concerns some businesses have voiced over the security of computing services delivered via others' remote servers, referred to as cloud computing.'

The PlayStation Network down time began on April 20, following a worldwide hack in the preceding two days.

Despite its issues, Sony reported this week that PS3 sales were actually up 13 percent in the US in April.

[ Source: Bloomberg ]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301366/news/hackers-used-amazon-servers-to-take-down-playstation-network-report/

Well.

That makes all those comparisons to Amazon's security early on in the thread look pretty stupid.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well.

That makes all those comparisons to Amazon's security early on in the thread look pretty stupid.

Those asking about changing passwords will happen now.

http://blog.us.plays...oftware-update/

We have been working on a new PS3 system software update that requires all PSN users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. The update (v3.61) is mandatory and is available now.

If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft
  • Thumbs Up 1

The update is indeed live! Downloading it now.

Ohhh it's downloading.... it's downloading... oh it's Alive... it's alive!!! OHHHHH!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Uh maybe not... the update has just failed at around 15% downloaded.

Edit 2: Ok now it's crashed again at the same point. Has anyone managed to get it downloaded past the 15-19% mark?

Edited by Hogfather

Aparently some people have downloaded it, the PSN is still down. Lots of people reporting it failing between 10-20% It must be the traffic trying to get it.

Grrr 19% again... Will you all stop trying to download it!

This is highly annoying, but then again if 70 million users are trying to do the same thing, chances are I'm going to have to wait a long time before I get the update.

Grrr 19% again... Will you all stop trying to download it!

This is highly annoying, but then again if 70 million users are trying to do the same thing, chances are I'm going to have to wait a long time before I get the update.

I'll stay away until tomorrow, playing Spiral Knights. Good luck!

Update: PSN back online tomorrow?

Sony have updated their website with the following.

will today begin a phased restoration by region of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. The phased restoration will be on a country by country basis beginning in the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

The first phase of restored services for North America and Europe will include:

Source

That is if you can download the new update.

"If you believe something will happen it will!" --- Jeremy Clarkson (shortly before he got his 4X4 stuck in a ditch that he was trying to drive up.)

46% and it died... Come on PS3 you can do it!

Edited by Hogfather