Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

That's.....really fucking stupid :\

Well no it isn't, because you can download as many PSone games for free/discounted as you like under PS+.

If they didn't have that policy, then people would subscribe for a couple months download as much as they can, then drop the subscription. Its to prevent people from abusing the system.

Edited by Scar

Well no it isn't, because you can download as many PSone games for free/discounted as you like under PS+.

If they didn't have that policy, then people would subscribe for a couple months download as much as they can, then drop the subscription. Its to prevent people from abusing the system.

Yeah, but you really aren't getting the game for free or at a discounted price. You payed for PSN+ already, so why should you still pay for something that came with being a PSN+ user once it expires?

That's.....really fucking stupid :\

How is it exactly? Thats how PSN+ has always worked, you can only take advantage of the free stuff so long as you're still a member of it. But if you were a member under normal conditions its more than enough time to use the content you have, although 30 days to finish a game it still more than enough time to do that.

Not to mention the cloud based saving is also going to come into handy for some people as whilst you can't access it when you're not a PSN+ user, the saves don't get removed so it is quite a nice temporary backup in case anything should go wrong with your saves.

Also don't forget, we're also getting non PSN+ Content for free which you can use as often and as long as you like regardless of PSN+ status.

Yeah, but you really aren't getting the game for free or at a discounted price. You payed for PSN+ already, so why should you still pay for something that came with being a PSN+ user once it expires?

But you are getting the games for free, and when you consider the cloud based saving on top of that, PSN+ really does start to pay for itself.

I joined shortly after Cloud saving was launched for a year, which is £39.99, it also tied into when Sega started doing the PSN+ deals on it's vintage collection, the Sega games alone are going to more or less cover my initial costs of joining PSN+ Each title costs £3.20 which means when they're all eventually released I would have spent £20 to get them normally. Red Faction Battlegrounds was also free, this game was £10 to buy, So already I've had £30 worth of content for free, add on top of that all the themes I've downloaded for free, downloading guity gear, as well as all the playstation minis and a few of the other PSN games which were up for free.

I've already made my money back and now it's paying for itself a number of times over.

But will I go back and be playing these games in a few months time? I doubt it. I don't typically do that with other things I've downloaded, so why would these be any different?

Wait, so free 30 day PSN+? Dude, I'm soooooo gonna take advantage of this. PSP, granted, but there are some PSN+ deals on that end. Also, I didn't see the store on that list. Any idea when it's back?

It depends on the region, PSN+ content normally differs depending where you are in the world. For example.

Last month the US PSN+ store had Oddworld for free, but the EU never got it. However, the EU store did get Red Faction Battlegrounds, the US store did not. I almost never go on the Japanese store so I'm not sure on that one.

With regards to deals specifically for the PSP, the classic PSOne games would fall under that, I think some minis would too. I don't normally look for PSP content, but any game thats from the PSOne era thats in PSN+ is usually compatible with the PSP. But like I said, what content you get depends on the region your in.

One big thing that the new PSN+ users will get is access to the Sega vintage collection. I'm not sure if you'll still be able to get Sonic 1 or not (I don't think you will). If the PSN comes back up before May 3rd, you'll definately be able to get Sonic 2.

However, if they continue with their planned schedule, then on May 3rd, Streets of Rage 2 will be up on PSN+ for free download. Then on may 31st you'll get Golden Axe 2 (for a short while at least).

Add on top of that all the other stuff, it's quite a good helping of free games.

Edited by Hogfather

You only lose the free Plus games when the subscription ends, though you can get them back if you renew it.

If you take advantage of a PSN+ discount to acquire something, that something is yours to keep.

Well, Streets of Rage 2 for free? :D

Wait, after 30 days they're making us pay anyway? Wow, good way to say thanks Sony. -_-'

But oh well, I just glad that Sony are fixing up PSN, and I'm happy to see the end of this fiasco is nearing. Well, it'll take longer for the identity fraud bit to get resolved, having PSN back is good enough for now.

Well, Streets of Rage 2 for free? :D

Wait, after 30 days they're making us pay anyway? Wow, good way to say thanks Sony. -_-'

..... Again, thats how PSN+ works...

Also. you are getting it for free as it's tied into the PSN+ Deal as well as all the other content you get free as well as the services that come with it.

And, you're also getting non PSN+ content for free too which you'll be able to keep forever regardless as to PSN+ status.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, if anyone is confused about what PSN+ is/does etc check the FAQ

I think it's great to get a month free, but at the same time doesn't a year cost £39.99 and 90 days cos £11.99 ...so essentially Sony giving us one month is like giving us about £3-4 each to say sorry for all the mess lol? But whatever it's better than them just apologising for everything, atleast it's something free! Plus if you like it you can keep using it and get a subscription or choose not to use it if you don't like it. I imagine that it's the sort of thing Microsoft would do if it had happened to them.

Sony are going to have to work hard to win people back. Which is kinda sad considering it could have happened to any company.

We've had quite a few people trading their PS3 in for a 360 because of this O_o

Edited by Mollfie

I don't even care that much really. I just wanted PSN back online.

PSN Plus for a month is just a bonus, honestly.

lol! What a bunch of idiots!

lol, someone derepped you for posting that, I just leveled it back up. I agree, they are a bunch of idiots. Sony are obviously embarrassed with this outage, working their very best to make sure this doesn't happen again, track down the hacker who did this and providing the "Welcome back" program.

These things happen, you can't dodge them forever and unluckily for Sony this happened to them. Once PSN is back up, I will remove my card details and use PSN cards from now on but this outage certainly doesn't make me start thinking of selling my PS3 and move to the 360. I wish these people who actually "did" sell their PS3s were more loyal.

Edited by Spicylicious Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Instead of looking what happens after 30 days, just look forward to that 30 day time frame instead *duh*, XD. I mean, I don't remember the last time it took me 30 whole days to beat a video game, it's usually just a 1-4 day period. That said, if I download a bitch load of free games, I can have them beat before the time period is up. I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal, =3.

lol, someone derepped you for posting that, I just leveled it back up. I agree, they are a bunch of idiots.

XD if I knew it was that easy to rattle people I would say it all the time!

Well if people did trade in their PS3's over this, it's a very stupid thing to do. It would apply to any console, if you've gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it and it looked like you would get more enjoyment out of it, why would you trade it in? Especially if the reason is that the PSN is down.

It wasn't ever going to be forever, in fact it's been barely 2 weeks! But people have started to trade in a console that they once loved... lol idiots.

Instead of looking what happens after 30 days, just look forward to that 30 day time frame instead *duh*, XD. I mean, I don't remember the last time it took me 30 whole days to beat a video game, it's usually just a 1-4 day period. That said, if I download a bitch load of free games, I can have them beat before the time period is up. I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal, =3.

The ones I've downloaded since joining I've been able to beat after a few days or so, but I've not downloaded and played every single one that I could do. Then each week the content changes, so it's not like you won't have anything to do when the next store update occurs.

XD if I knew it was that easy to rattle people I would say it all the time!

Well if people did trade in their PS3's over this, it's a very stupid thing to do. It would apply to any console, if you've gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it and it looked like you would get more enjoyment out of it, why would you trade it in? Especially if the reason is that the PSN is down.

It wasn't ever going to be forever, in fact it's been barely 2 weeks! But people have started to trade in a console that they once loved... lol idiots.

Exactly! I always ask people why they're trading stuff in just because it's conversation, otherwise it's awkward testing their console etc and they're just standing there silently watching me O_O lol. I don't get it. The console itself is fine, you've got lots of games so why trade it in? It could happen to the 360 too!

Oh well, atleast it means we have some nice pre-owned PS3 consoles to sell to other people *shrug*

Most people seem to have realised it's just a case of being more careful with your personal information and card details.

Exactly! I always ask people why they're trading stuff in just because it's conversation, otherwise it's awkward testing their console etc and they're just standing there silently watching me O_O lol. I don't get it. The console itself is fine, you've got lots of games so why trade it in? It could happen to the 360 too!

Oh well, atleast it means we have some nice pre-owned PS3 consoles to sell to other people *shrug*

Most people seem to have realised it's just a case of being more careful with your personal information and card details.

Well, its actually a very stupid thing to do.

You cannot get all the save data and your prestiges on COD back once you trade in your console. Not to mention that the 360 doesn't play Blu-ray.

I think those people are going to realise just how bad a move getting rid of their PS3 was, when Uncharted 3 comes out, and they realise that they could have owned both Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3 (all on one disk) if they had just stuck around.

Additionally, surely the PSN's security would be uber-strong at this point, I mean they set up an entire devision dedicated to the safety and security of personal information. Surely this is an advantage?

lol! What a bunch of idiots!

Sadly, it's human nature.

I actually predicted some people would trade in their PS3 in a kneejerk reaction to this. But now not only do they have to pay for online, but they're missing out on more free stuff. :D

...Unless they bought a Wii with those trade in credits... which I have to say is fucking stupid.... :angry:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't even care that much really. I just wanted PSN back online.

PSN Plus for a month is just a bonus, honestly.

This. I have some DLC vouchers that I haven't been able to use since the PSN went down right around the time I got them. :|

Somebody is at war with Sony. A war, which if they lose, they lose......I mean they lose everything. Respect from Anonymous/other hackers, gamers, members of public, governments/administrations of the world. They will probably also lose their lives in a colossal jail sentence and a likely permanent restraining order from any peice of technology.

Whoever is doing this is firstly, brave, and secondly really fucking stupid.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds like they found vulnerabilities during the checks and are just gonna patch it up.

Besides, SOE is pretty much apart from SCE so it's irrelevant to PSN.

Update... kinda...

Theres a new update on the playstation blog. But it's nothing that people with common sense already know.

It's basically that they're increasing security, what type of encryption was actually on their system and that Sony will contact you asking for details via email or any other means.

Also that they advise everybody change their password when they log in next time.

Oh and interestingly.

They state that the report about the group wanting to sell them the database back is completely false. Which would make sense given the report claimed the group had information it couldn't possibly have.

Update... kinda...

Theres a new update on the playstation blog. But it's nothing that people with common sense already know.

It's basically that they're increasing security, what type of encryption was actually on their system and that Sony will contact you asking for details via email or any other means.

Also that they advise everybody change their password when they log in next time.

Oh and interestingly.

They state that the report about the group wanting to sell them the database back is completely false. Which would make sense given the report claimed the group had information it couldn't possibly have.

Oh so they used "Cryptographic Hash Function" to protect the user information....

Well, why didn't they say so in the first place.

lulz

They provided a handy guide too for explaining what that meant! Anyway, double-checking against the article, they mean:

The passwords are deliberately garbled when transmitted, and when setting your password or submitting it, the server only ever sees the garbled version of your password. You can't find out a password stored in this manner through hacking a database because the information saved on the server isn't encoded, it's literally unreadable, and it also makes it very difficult to work out the password manually even if you have the hashing code right in front of you.

Technically that makes it superior to encryption, but only for storing passwords.

Seems like them assholes got into the SoE servers too

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained - we will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

Again, SoE is separate from the PSN, they handle a bunch of MMORPGs and stuff. Wonder if it's from the same attack, though.