Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

So the Welcome Back program just ended if I remember correctly. Actually it was supposed to end like 2 days ago. Unfortunately Sony got a lot of compliants from late adopters that said "Dur, but you didn't tell us there was a time limit, dur..." so they put it back up until like today I think.

But anyway I'm checking out the store, saw the Welcome Back page had gone back up, checked it out just for kicks. Saw, along with the free theme, that the 1 month free PSN+ link was back up for me, even though I already redeemed mine. So curiously I clicked it to see what would happen, and supposedly it give me another free month of PSN+ before removing itself like before. It really didn't charge me anything. Even the reciept I got this morning said I paid $0. I think it might get revoked soon but who knows.

Edited by Yong
  • Thumbs Up 2

I hated when the program started! Everyone was downloading and you should had the best of luck just to get a game.

• 2 months later...

seems as though Sony's PSN service is having unscheduled down time, again. They claim it should be back up in 2 hours.

http://www.g4tv.com/...lets-all-panic/

In news that will send shivers down the spine of everyone who suffered through the great PSN outage of 2011, the PlayStation Network is currently down. This is not scheduled maintenance--something doesn't seem to be working correctly.

The news (like all news these days) comes to us via twitter. A tweet from Sony posted two hours ago reads:

"We're aware that some of you are having issues trying to log into PSN. We're working to resolve the issue, and we'll update you here."

UPDATE: 12:30 PM PlayStationEU, the European twitter account for PlayStation, has confirmed the problem is being addressed and is expected to be go back up in 2 hours.

"Current indications are that we'll be restoring PlayStation Network services in approx. two hours. We appreciate your patience."

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/.../#ixzz1YcNcA0ko

Edited by LunarEdge

Yeah, some people that were logged in have stayed logged in. At about 3PM today I was logged in, but had 0 friends (Data wasn't downloading), I could visit the PSN store, buy things (if I wanted) and even sync up trophies).

After I signed myself out I couldn't get back on.

I tried to sign in about 3:30pm, but couldn't. I haven't been able to sign in since.

• 3 weeks later...
pa.press.net, Updated: 12/10/2011 10:09

Hackers target PlayStation accounts

Sony said it had detected a large number of unauthorised attempts to access user accounts on its PlayStation Network and other online entertainment services.

EA38F92F82EDE648FBD99FE331AC.jpg

Sony said it had detected a large number of unauthorised attempts to access user accounts on its PlayStation Network and other online entertainment services.

The Tokyo-based electronics giant said it had temporarily locked about 93,000 accounts whose IDs and passwords were successfully verified by the attempts.

Sony has sent email notifications and password reset procedures to those customers.

The company said credit card numbers linked to the compromised accounts are not at risk and that it has "taken steps to mitigate the activity".

The incidents follow an embarrassing data breach earlier this year, which compromised personal data from more than 100 million online gaming and entertainment accounts.

Sony confirmed the latest incidents after its security systems detected an unusually high number of log-in attempts that failed, said Sony spokesman Sean Yoneda.

The company suspects that those responsible obtained large data sets from other companies or sources, which were then used to try to access Sony accounts.

"What happened in April was a breach on our servers as we said in our announcements," Mr Yoneda said. "But this time around, there was no intrusion on our servers. This was ... taking someone else's identity and trying to use that to access our services."

The access attempts occurred between October 7 and October 10 and targeted accounts globally.

Sony's customer service centres around the world had not seen an increase in user calls related to the incidents, Mr Yoneda said.

http://tech.uk.msn.c...tation-accounts

Why can't people just stop this already? I can't believe this is STILL going on...

http://tech.uk.msn.c...tation-accounts

Why can't people just stop this already? I can't believe this is STILL going on...

You know, i don't feel the slightest bit sorry for people worried about their Card info. They make PSN cards for a reason.

As long as there's a loophole in the system, somone will hack it without a second thought.

Edited by Solkia

You know, i don't feel the slightest bit sorry for people worried about their Card info. They make PSN cards for a reason.

As long as there's a loophole in the system, somone will hack it without a second thought.

Sorry that we put our faith in a Corporation/Company. Saying that is like saying "I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for people who put their money in a bank or have a cell phone." Any system can be hacked/broken into, for some reason Sony has been the main interest for certain hackers for whatever reason as of late.

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

As mentioned in the other thread, it wasn't hacked or attacked. Other sites were, the perpetrators tried the stolen passwords on several places (including PSN) and Sony caught the suspicious activity. It was identity theft.

Given the amount of misinformation, next time Sony won't bother reporting anything. Which they don't have to, as they're not responsible for Kotaku or whatever losing your password and that password being the same you use for your XBL/PSN/Redtube account.

Reading is fundamental, folks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rest assured, I wasn't replying to you.

t'was more of a general comment, directed towards the site writers / readers that run with the sensationalist crap in lieu of taking time to read what they're saying.

Rest assured, I wasn't replying to you.

t'was more of a general comment, directed towards the site writers / readers that run with the sensationalist crap in lieu of taking time to read what they're saying.

ah okay. Yea, I see people freaking out as if PSN and SOE is being hacked full-on like before. Shame on those who didn't change their info

Yeah, this is pretty damn ridiculous. That's how journalism goes these days, though (it sucks). I would hope most would read further and see Sony wasn't the one attacked but rather unrelated sites that people happened to have the same login info for. This is why you have different passwords for very important accounts, friends!