Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

Looks like it's over 24.6 million SOE accounts (different info to the PSN) have been stolen.

Personal details from an outdated database from 2007 have been stolen.

You could not write this.

Mind you, only a matter of time before Microsoft and Nintendo get targeted.

Hog, neither the Wii nor DSi can get targeted. THEY DON'T HAVE A USER SYSTEM!

Who said anything about it having to be tied to just the consoles?

oh god they're stealing our FRIEND CODES

(you still have to enter card/bank details to buy crap online so nintendo has them somewhere)

• Thumbs Up 4

Nintendo asks you to reenter everything EVERY TIME you try to buy something, so I don't know what you're talking about. They clearly don't store any details.

• Thumbs Up 3

So... There's a major upside to friend codes, in the form of the fact that such a system is practically immune to mass personal information/identity theft? Fucking irony.

• Thumbs Up 6

Nintendo asks you to reenter everything EVERY TIME you try to buy something, so I don't know what you're talking about. They clearly don't store any details.

They're mandated to keep transaction detail logs like every company dealing with the sale of online goods.

So... There's a major upside to friend codes, in the form of the fact that such a system is practically immune to mass personal information/identity theft? Fucking irony.

Yeah, it's hard to hack inexistent online services.

Next Xbox Live security update: we're removing Xbox Live. Also all your gamertags are replaced with numbers. Oh, and your purchases aren't yours anymore, they're tied to the console. Good luck when it red rings!

Man friend codes are the best.

They're mandated to keep transaction detail logs like every company dealing with the sale of online goods.

Yeah, it's hard to hack inexistent online services.

Next Xbox Live security update: we're removing Xbox Live. Also all your gamertags are replaced with numbers. Oh, and your purchases aren't yours anymore, they're tied to the console. Good luck when it red rings!

Man friend codes are the best.

But at least you won't get hacked! :) .....

:(

Edited by Slash

This. I have some DLC vouchers that I haven't been able to use since the PSN went down right around the time I got them. :|

Same here, though just Cecil Harvey's FFIV outfit for Duodecim. However, I still wouldn't mind having access to online again. Any idea at what time it'll be back up and running?

Same here, though just Cecil Harvey's FFIV outfit for Duodecim. However, I still wouldn't mind having access to online again. Any idea at what time it'll be back up and running?

They said it should be within a week, so I would have guessed either today or tomorrow, but since the SOE event, I can see it being Friday. But I'm still quite suprised that they didn't get it back in time for the PS Store update.

Or it could just be a couple of Anons apart from the rest of the pack. The more prominent Anon group that was focused on attacking Sony over the Gehot thing said "no way, it wasn't us". Anonymous generally takes immediate credit for their deeds, outright denying it is quite rare for them.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Or it could just be a couple of Anons apart from the rest of the pack. The more prominent Anon group that was focused on attacking Sony over the Gehot thing said "no way, it wasn't us". Anonymous generally takes immediate credit for their deeds, outright denying it is quite rare for them.

To be fair, they did say a rouge member may have done it.

So either it was one of those fine individuals that "fight for our own good" or Anonymous got used by the real culprits like a goddamn kleenex?

D'ohoho

• Thumbs Up 2

A rouge member, possibly, but...

So either it was one of those fine individuals that "fight for our own good" or Anonymous got used by the real culprits like a goddamn kleenex?

D'ohoho

Actually, the latter was something that hadn't occurred to me, before. The real culprits might've placed those files as a red herring to steer everyone off-track. Anonymous is well-known on the internet, it would be easy to pass them off as the culprits.

It's taken two weeks, but finally they've called Batman!

dcoumakeup530.jpg

DC universe online subscribers are to get 1 month free as compensation, as well as a free batman inspired mask.

Now I have an excuse to post this.

"Sony in Playstation NetWork NotWork!?

And SOE data stored data disapeared!?

The online fun stolen by online scum!?

Files planted by anon!?

FBI and Congress on the case!?

Will the Playstation network get back online!?

Find out tomorrow!

Same Bat Time!

Same Bat Channel!

• Thumbs Up 2

Anonymous denies involvement once again, and presents reasons why they wouldn't do something like this. They're also claiming that Sony are bullshitting - and let's be frank, Sony may well be.

Honestly, I'm rather inclined to believe them. They don't lie about this shit. If it was them, they would've taken responsibility and rubbed it in Sony's face to no end. Also, the blog post with the info that claims it was Anonymous also mentioned the attack was "very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated". To put these words in the same sentence as 'Anonymous' would be an oxymoron.

It's definitely either someone trying to throw everyone off the scent, a rouge anon, or Sony is bullshitting. The middle is becoming increasingly unlikely to me, because anons in general aren't exactly the sort capable of something like this unless Sony's security really was crap, but that in itself would speak volumes. The first seems quite likely, but I'm also thinking that Sony could quite well be lying through its teeth to protect its reputation.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

or Sony is bullshitting.

They're not bullshitting for the simple reason that they'll need to disclose these findings to the investigating parties that are involved, so if they say those files are on their servers, then they'll be there.

The question is who put them on there, then once they find out, the next question will likely be "Are you acting in support of a group?"

The problem when it comes to anon is that whilst lots of people say "Yeah I'm with them" how many are actually capable of serious stuff? DOS attacks, anybody can download and run that thing. But with this we're talking about breaking into a security system and messing around with it, how many people that say "Yeah I'm with them!" can do that?

But even then, if the mass majority are the people who can't do it, but say "We didn't do it! We don't support it!" yet it's someone who is a member thats done it, is it still anon thats done it? At what point does he stop representing them?

This is all speculative if the fellow does say he's a member of the group.

The line between Anon individually and the Anon group is so thinly spread it'd only saturate a piece of bread ever so lightly.

I don't think anyone discounted odds that it's a rogue anon member cause that was the first conclusion Anon raised themselves. The fact that these files are found on the server is pretty hilarious though. It's the worst possible way to divert attention assuming these guys have any logical line of thinking beyond computer language.

Edited by Carbo

Anonymous denies involvement once again, and presents reasons why they wouldn't do something like this. They're also claiming that Sony are bullshitting - and let's be frank, Sony may well be.

Honestly, I'm rather inclined to believe them. They don't lie about this shit. If it was them, they would've taken responsibility and rubbed it in Sony's face to no end. Also, the blog post with the info that claims it was Anonymous also mentioned the attack was "very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated". To put these words in the same sentence as 'Anonymous' would be an oxymoron.

It's definitely either someone trying to throw everyone off the scent, a rouge anon, or Sony is bullshitting. The middle is becoming increasingly unlikely to me, because anons in general aren't exactly the sort capable of something like this unless Sony's security really was crap, but that in itself would speak volumes. The first seems quite likely, but I'm also thinking that Sony could quite well be lying through its teeth to protect its reputation.

Why can't it be that both Sony and Anonymous are telling the truth, and its just a third party that hacked the PSN and planted the files to use Anonymous as a scapegoat. It would be incredibly conveniant considering the animosity between Sony and Anon. In fact I seem to recall someone from Sony saying that even though the file names were "Anonymous" and "We are legion", it was unlikely that it was Anonymous themselves, rather either a rogue cell or completely random group of identity theives/cyber criminals.

In fact, this whole PSN and Sony vs. Anon/Geohotz was probably the perfect time a group of Cyber criminals to attack the service. Both parties were caught in a headlock due to a legal battle, which left Sony and PSN vulnerable to attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think there is anyone who really believes Anonymous is playing any role in this besides the fall guy.

Its not bullshitting, either. Sony says Anonymous because the evidence points to Anonymous and Sony has to report the evidence, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that Sony knows Anonymous (or at least the Anonymous group that was targeting PSN with DDoS attacks) has little to nothing to do with this.

At this moment I'm not sure I particually care if it was anon or not, or just some guy wanting to frame them or some guy who is a member of them acting without the full support of the majority.

Just get the PSN back online, hand the findings over to the FBI's computer crime lab, catch the dude who did it, put him on trial, and let me finally play Portal 2's Co-op mode.

Sony: PSN revival still on track for 'this week'

Thursday 5-May-2011 8:49 PM

Sony saying very little as the week draws to a close

Sony said on Sunday that the PlayStation Network was likely to come back online this week. It's Thursday and PSN is still dead. What's going on?

It seems not even Sony's community team leader on the official PlayStation forums (alias 'MusterBuster') knows, but the latest word is that its promise of a PSN revival this week still stands.

"I would love to be able to give you new information, and right now there isn't any available," the rep told the increasingly frustrated forum goers.

"I'm asking lots of questions but at the moment all I'm being told is that the 'last update still stands' eg - Some PlayStation Network services will be restored this week," he added.

That was posted this afternoon at 5:42pm UK time. So how likely is the service to reappear within the next two days? Seems unlikely, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, Sony has been subpoenaed by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman over the recent PSN hack and breach of customers' personal information.

[ Source: PlayStation Forums ]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300320/news/sony-psn-revival-still-on-track-for-this-week/

If it's really coming back this week, then shouldn't Sony have announced details by now?