Awoo.

Sony's PSN Attacked Again! 93,000 Accounts Compromised!

LunarEdge

I read on IRC this happened because they were using outdated software

also it's entirely Anon's fault for not being able to properly encrypt their data

cool_f.gifcool_f.gifcool_f.gif

• Thumbs Up 9

I read on IRC this happened because they were using outdated software

also it's entirely Anon's fault for not being able to properly encrypt their data

cool_f.gifcool_f.gifcool_f.gif

Agreed.

Anyway devs are finally voicing concerns now.

The prolonged PlayStation Network down time following the hacking of the service is costing Capcom "hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue".

That's according to Christian Svensson, senior vice president at the publisher, who was asked on the Capcom Unity blog what he thought of the hackers responsible for the PSN outage.

"I'm frustrated and upset by it for a number of reasons," he wrote. "As a consumer, I also play games online on PS3, which I can't do... and likely my personal information is also compromised. Secondly I like to buy things in the PlayStation Store and that I can't do right now.

"On a related note, as an executive responsible for running a business, the resulting outage obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget," he added. "These are funds we rely on to bring new games to market for our fans.

"In short, the hackers appear to be trying to 'punish' Sony for some perceived injustice, and they've been effective in that I suppose. But they're also punishing millions of other consumers and businesses which makes it impossible to be sympathetic to their 'cause'."

Sony said today the PSN might not be fully up and running again until May 31, six weeks after it was taken offline.

The platform holder is reportedly considering offering rewards for help in its hunt for the hackers responsible for the PSN security breach last month.

Please don't cancel MML3 Capcom.

Edited by Carbo

Remember folks, Capcom is the company that charges you to download shadow mode updates.

I really don't think Capcom is in much position to moan about this. Companies however which rely on DLC sales on the other hand, very different story. Like Telltale games, they're the ones that have cause to complain about this.

The fact that Capcom are complaining is only second in hilarity to if it was EA that was complaining.

Remember folks, Capcom is the company that charges you to download shadow mode updates.

I really don't think Capcom is in much position to moan about this. Companies however which rely on DLC sales on the other hand, very different story. Like Telltale games, they're the ones that have cause to complain about this.

The fact that Capcom are complaining is only second in hilarity to if it was EA that was complaining.

People can't download our worthless DLC and play our pointless anti-piracy protected games. RAGE!

On a different note, Gamestop started sending out coupons to Power Up rewards members for $100 off any new PS3 now through May 29th, of which one was sent to myself. Wonder if it's in response to downage to get back sales on the hardware. I do say it's tempting. Not everyday someone just essentially hands you $100.

People can't download our worthless DLC and play our pointless anti-piracy protected games. RAGE!

On a different note, Gamestop started sending out coupons to Power Up rewards members for $100 off any new PS3 now through May 29th, of which one was sent to myself. Wonder if it's in response to downage to get back sales on the hardware. I do say it's tempting. Not everyday someone just essentially hands you $100.

linky?

The Kotaku story on the Gamestop deal: http://kotaku.com/#!5800221/gamestop-knocks-100-off-the-playstation-3-just-not-for-everybody

Apparently only a few people who have memberships are getting it but not everyone who's signed up, but perhaps the others will get their's within the next few days. I have a free membership so it's not just the premium ones who paid $15 a year.

Holy shit. I've got a Gamestop membership, and I'm been looking for a flimsy pretext to buy a second PS3.

Sony are now denying the existence of any deadline for PSN to go back up.

Despite earlier reports claiming the PlayStation Network would be up and running by May 31, Sony has publicly denied the existence of any such deadline.

Earlier today, a Bloomberg report quoted Sony spokesman Shigenori Yoshida as saying that though the company is "uncertain when it can resume ... services," the plan is to have the firm's flagship online service up and running no later than May 31.

Since that time Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold has asserted that there is no such deadline in place and that no new information exists on when the PSN will be able to resume service.

For those keeping score at home the PSN has been offline for nearly three weeks since the April 20 attack in which hackers broke into Sony's PlayStation Network/Qriocity system, compromising reams of valuable user information and forcing the electronics giant to pull down its entire online gaming infrastructure in the name of security upgrades.

Sony has recently stepped up its efforts to patch holes in its network, but given the historical persistence of the hacker community and its seeming blood oath to do as much damage to Sony as possible, the firm's refusal to commit to a deadline on the PSN's resurrection comes as no surprise.

Still, one hopes the company has some sort of plan in place. The longer this outage rolls on, the more Sony loses face with an increasingly impatient playerbase. Are any of you still anxiously clutching a plush Crash Bandicoot and ticking off the days until you can once again browse the PSN store?

New.... Update?

I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

Ok, that was just pointless. It contains no info we didn't already know and is only three sentences long. If you don't have anything new to tell us, don't make an update called "PSN Restoration Timeline Update" and just say "hurr durr we dunno when it'll be back up." I realize Sony's though position, and I'm not rushing them to get the service back up, but pointless updates aren't going to help anyone.

I still don't understand how Sony went from being ready to put the service back online last week to having no idea when it'll go back up. Was the undiscovered SOE breech really that large? (even though it apparently shouldn't affect the PSN)

New.... Update?

Ok, that was just pointless. It contains no info we didn't already know and is only three sentences long.

At least they're talking to us and not ignoring us, even if it's just a "We don't yet know for sure" at least they know that we want a date and that they're trying to get one.

I still don't understand how Sony went from being ready to put the service back online last week to having no idea when it'll go back up. Was the undiscovered SOE breech really that large? (even though it apparently shouldn't affect the PSN)

Like I said a few days ago, he's just the blog man, regardless of his special title he is basically just the blog man. For a service to be totally rebuilt and then be brought back online in the original time frame they stated, I think many of us were suprised at that. So it doesn't really come too much as a shock that it's not up yet.

Anyway, what do I care, I've finished Half Life 2 and the episodes and started to get back into Valkyria Chronicles, games I wouldn't normally touch if I had the online service.

[insert picture of "there is no update only Zuul... but my pasta is ready so I'm off to eat that"]

Edited by Hogfather

While I agree it's nice getting updates they're almost becoming humorously Twitter-like.

It's only going to make people more irritated in the long run.

"When's PSN going to come back online? Will it still be up by the beginning of June?"

Sony Executive:

"When its done."

Meanwhile...

"When's Duke Nukem Forever going to come out? Is the release date still 'When its done'?"

Gearbox Executive:

"Beginning of June."

Bizarro!

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 8

Well, it seems like I'm not the only one with a $100 off coupon for a PS3 from what I can get from this topic. Now if I could amass $200 by the end of May I might just snag one.

"When's PSN going to come back online? Will it still be up by the beginning of June?"

Sony Executive:

"When its done."

Meanwhile...

"When's Duke Nukem Forever going to come out? Is the release date still 'When its done'?"

Gearbox Executive:

"Beginning of June."

Bizarro!

You just won first prize in the internet. Congratulations! :lol:

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

While I am very tempted to use that $100 off coupon, I'm not sure if there's enough reason for me to get a PS3 when I already have a 360. All the multi platformer games I get will be on 360, particularly the ones with multiplayer since most of my friends are on 360. That only leaves the exclusives, and looking through the list I only see a couple that I whole heartedly genuinely want, those being the Disgaea games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma games, and Uncharted games. I might be interested in the Racket & Clank games and the Sly games, but I never owned a PS2 so I never got into those series. Is that enough reason to get one? PSN still being down and most likely limping once it comes back isn't much incentive either.

While I am very tempted to use that $100 off coupon, I'm not sure if there's enough reason for me to get a PS3 when I already have a 360. All the multi platformer games I get will be on 360, particularly the ones with multiplayer since most of my friends are on 360. That only leaves the exclusives, and looking through the list I only see a couple that I whole heartedly genuinely want, those being the Disgaea games, Ninja Gaiden Sigma games, and Uncharted games. I might be interested in the Racket & Clank games and the Sly games, but I never owned a PS2 so I never got into those series. Is that enough reason to get one? PSN still being down and most likely limping once it comes back isn't much incentive either.

12 games, I guess it would be worth it. As for Sly Cooper you can always get the Sly Collection to try it out. For $100 I'd say you're getting a major steal, I think a PS3 would be well worth it. I used to hate the PS3 until I actually bought one and amazingly the ps3 collection grew faster than any other console I owned.

Edited by Silencer226

12 games, I guess it would be worth it. As for Sly Cooper you can always get the Sly Collection to try it out. For $100 I'd say you're getting a major steal, I think a PS3 would be well worth it. I used to hate the PS3 until I actually bought one and amazingly the ps3 collection grew faster than any other console I owned.

That's the problem I'm seeing. If I'm only buying exclusives, then I'm worried my potential library won't be big enough to justifiy $200 of seperate hardware, particularly when I'm still going to primarily be a 360 gamer.

..Report: UK retailers say PS3 trade-ins doubling due to PSN outage

The report says.

reginald-d-hunter.jpg

They... they wha?

So let me see if I understand this... they've giving up their PS3s... along with their COD accounts which have all their data on it... only to start completely from scratch on a totally different system?

Like I said a few pages back lol what idiots!

Today is Friday 13th...

20p says that they decide not to bring it back online today.

Also I want it to come back up so I have an excuse to post