Awoo.

Gameplay Trailer for Sonic Generations

ChikaBoing

Well, if its anything like Unleashed, then its not going to be fast throughout the game. Things will probably slow down a LOT by the time you reach the final stage.

A part from a few segments, Jungle Joyride involved a lot of platforming.

"Small part of the fanbase"? Disregarding Unleashed's many other flaws, I was under the impression many people thought the day stages were marred by frustrating trial and error.

Which they've appeared to have improved on.

Hmmm nice looking trailer there. And it seems like whoever said it will be split it two, Fat sonic (gawd he's fat) in 2D and skinny sonic in UNLEASHED HD was right. The music was pretty chill too. Kinda hope that's not the first level's BGM.

now that that's out of the way....

OH MY GAWD!!! I'M GONNA NEED A NEW ROOM. IT WAS DIRTY BEFORE WITH JUST RANDOM CLOTHES EVERYWHERE BUT CRAP. WHERE'S THAT TOWEL? *UBER JIZZ*

• Thumbs Up 1

As a person who liked Unleashed HD and was disappointed with Colors, I'm loving this. Big time.

Tell me about it. I was so disappointed with Colours in that respect. Sure it was consistently good quality, but it was only that. Good or okay. Nothing compared to what it did the same as Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Small part of the fanbase"? Disregarding Unleashed's many other flaws, I was under the impression many people thought the day stages were marred by frustrating trial and error.

If Unleashes day time game play was regarded so badly why did Sega technically use it again in Colors?

Classic Sonic looks fucking awesome. I noticed a distinct lack of spinning, which is his defining move. I did see that he accelerates extremely fast, but lots of classic elements are there and not shit (see Sonic 4). I dislike the classic Sonic model they went with. I would have preferred the look from Sonic CD's intro rather than the cute Japanese Sonic, but he certainly works and looks like he has some attitude.

Modern Sonic has the same problems of Unleashed did with it's day stages, meaning mega linear corridors that are too fast, the boost making things unwieldy going from zero to nothing flat, boostpads everywhere, and just speed speed speed. I am reluctant to say I see any improvement. It's not bad, but it could be a heck of a lot more controllable and dynamic if you don't make him control like wet soap or a bullet . He needs to be more like Colors modern Sonic. At least don't make the boost as spammable when you get rings and the like.

So there you go. My opinion? Scrap the boost, replace with Spindash. Possibly just do Classic Sonic's gameplay because of how hit and miss Unleashed style can be. Also, it looks like they put the hedgehog engine to good use too. All in all, this is the best looking Sonic game so far.

Edited by Tiller
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Unleashes day time game play was regarded so badly why did Sega technically use it again in Colors?

Have you played Colors?

They made it slower and cut the 3D sections to pretty much running forward and jumping. That's the point. They improved it in some aspects, but kind of messed up in other.

They should take what they had in Colors and add more platforming. That would be perfect. I don't want it just like Unleashed.

Well if it means anything to you the IGN preview stated that "Sonic Generations seems to be taking many of its cues for the 3D sections from Colours".

Oh, good. I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me ^^

Sorry I'm being so negative guys. I just want to really enjoy this game when it comes out and I'll find that hard if it's exactly like Unleashed. :(

Edited by MarcelloF

Well if it means anything to you the IGN preview stated that "Sonic Generations seems to be taking many of its cues for the 3D sections from Colours".

I wouldn't read anything into that. As far as the mainstream media is aware there's no difference between the daytime gameplay in either version Unleashed and Colours. The trailer tells us more than their words in that respect.

To those saying that Unleashed HD gameplay needs improvement:

You obviously didn't shout loudly enough for Sega to hear you. Complain harder!

This is a joke

I just noticed something.

22808sgpamghz01.jpg

If this is what I think it is, then we have just gotten confirmation of the return of the Red Rings (Colors). This is also indirect confirmation on the inclusion of the special zones and possibly even playable SS.

It also means that the stages will likely have hidden nooks and cranny's to encourage a bit of exploration (Colors again)

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3

Okay did anyone notice fat sonic used some sort of boost tech at about :18? And skinny sonic rolls into a ball right before he hits an enemy at about :42!

Well thats made my day, this game looks better than I thought it would and I've gone from being apathtic to excited in the space of a short gameplay trailer. Why SEGA even bothered with the fancy pants CGI trailer I don't know as all it seemed to do was cause me to be confused.

Hmm, a bunch of previews are saying the classic sonic stages are just like the Genesis games, but doesn't he seem to be doing a boost after the corkscrew?

Ah this guy noticed it too ^

Edited by Blue Comeback
  • Thumbs Up 1

Classic Sonic looks fucking awesome. I noticed a distinct lack of spinning, which is his defining move. I did see that he accelerates extremely fast, but lots of classic elements are there and not shit (see Sonic 4). I dislike the classic Sonic model they went with. I would have preferred the look from Sonic CD's intro rather than the cute Japanese Sonic, but he certainly works and looks like he has some attitude.

So there you go. My opinion? Scrap the boost, replace with Spindash. Possibly just do Classic Sonic's gameplay because of how hit and miss Unleashed style can be. Also, it looks like they put the hedgehog engine to good use too. All in all, this is the best looking Sonic game so far.

Classic Sonic does spin. Maybe not the in the trailer, but the press release confirmed that he has the spin dash, so rolling would make perfect sense too.

Spindash is in for C.Sonic, and if they're doing Unleashed style gameplay (which they are) the boost is fine. I agree with you on how this game looks though. It's AMAZING

Any sign of an uber-high quality trailer yet?

I need that shit on my desktop for frequent viewing in GLORIOUS HD!

• Thumbs Up 1

If Unleashed's day time gameplay was regarded so badly why did Sega technically use it again in Colors?

It's not exactly regarded badly, but it definitely had some big flaws that needed fixing, and I guess SEGA decided to do that for once instead of scrapping it and using completely different gameplay/physics for the next 1-2 games like usual.

Edited by Ekaje

Any sign of an uber-high quality trailer yet?

I need that shit on my desktop for frequent viewing in GLORIOUS HD!

Not yet sadly. Woun got all the screenshots and the art in HD though if you head over to his topic.

Holy crap, even the Destructoid comments are mostly positive!

It's the eeeend of the wooorld as we know it~

How can you still prefer modern sonic's look a fter this traielr lol!!!!!!!!! Classic sonic just looks so damn awesome!!! I mean LOOK AT HIM HWAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

... OKeaaaayyy :huh:

(Calm down bro)

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wasn't the music in the trailer used in the Sonic riders Kinect trailer?

I don't think so. It's pretty generic, though, and I have no idea why they'd go with something so plain when they could use in-game audio for instant nostalgia points: I can only imagine hype for Generations getting even more ridiculous if the trailer included some classic tunes. SEGA seem to have a thing about trailer music, actually, considering they did exactly the same thing for Sonic 4's trailers. This is better than those by far, but still.