Awoo.

Gameplay Trailer for Sonic Generations

ChikaBoing

Looks pretty. That's the only good thing I'll say.

Unfortunately, it's Unleashed-style, so my interest has more or less plummeted. And Sonic Colours' 2.5D gameplay was terrible. That, and I want Sonic Team to stop using 2.5D as a goddamn crutch to mask their inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 7

Why the FUCK doesn't Sonic 4 look like this? Seriously, what the fuck? Oh well, at least we're getting a game that looks (And presumably plays) this well, can't really complaint.

One word.

DIMPS. ;)

This honestly made my day. It's great to finally see some gameplay, now we actually have something reasonable to hear the fanbrats bitch about. xP But in all seriousness, it's good to see how the game will actually be played. Looks really interesting, and I like how they did classic Sonic's gameplay. Modern Sonic is done well too, I personally don't have much of a problem with the Unleashed style.

I adore the Unleashed style so I am all for what I have seen here today.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it looks great. Classic sonic looks exactly like in my avatar hahahahaha omg how awesome they've made him. Look at him ahhaha so friggin perfect.

I am gonna be honest though. Just my views and I hope that we learned from s4e1 and people can express their thoughts without having to deal with people hating critisism. Well anyway.

Unleashed gameplay is a turnoff and classic sonic's gameplay looks vastly superior. I wish classic sonic will be playable in 3d too. Would be dissapointed if not. Modern sonic gameplay seems to have taken more of sonic unleashed instead of colors. It doesn't make sense having good physics for half of the game and unleashed physics for the other half. They should have done something more similar to sonic adventure where sonic was very controllable instead of slippery or stiff. They seemed to have recycled the unleashed gameplay as if nothing has changed except for the environment. I like the spindash, nice touch but other than that, I am dissapointed in seeing the unleashed gameplay recycled.

TL;DR Classic sonic back, his gameplay looks great, hope for classic sonic in 3d section as well

Modern sonic, not happy with inferior gameplay being recycled, still nice for those who did.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Looks pretty. That's the only good thing I'll say.

Unfortunately, it's Unleashed-style, so my interest has more or less plummeted. And Sonic Colours' 2.5D gameplay was terrible. That, and I want Sonic Team to stop using 2.5D as a goddamn crutch to mask their inability to make a good 3D Sonic game.

Its easy to say that. Much more difficult to actually do it.

Pluse we haven't seen all of it.

Unleashed/Colours gameplay isn't bad. I'd like to see what alterations (if any) they've made. Just because he has the boost, doesn't mean all is lost. From what I can see in the trailer, blue things fly into him from enemies. That could either be experience a l Unleashed or it could be for the Boost Guage a la Colours. If it is the latter, then the game might not be so boost-happy as you might expect.

We have just under 7 months to wait to see what this game becomes.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, anyone else notice the absence of speed boosters in the Classic gameplay? Yeah. Fucking awesome that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it looks great. Classic sonic looks exactly like in my avatar hahahahaha omg how awesome they've made him. Look at him ahhaha so friggin perfect.

I am gonna be honest though. Just my views and I hope after we learned from s4e1, people can express their thoughts without having to deal with people hating critisism. Well anyway.

Unleashed gameplay is a turnoff and classic sonic's gameplay looks vastly superior. I wish classic sonic will be playable in 3d too. Would be dissapointed if not. Modern sonic gameplay seems to have taken more of sonic unleashed instead of colors. It doesn't make sense having good physics for half of the game and unleashed physics for the other half. They should have done something more similar to sonic adventure where sonic was very controllable instead of slippery or stiff. They seemed to have recycled the unleashed gameplay as if nothing has changed except for the environment. I like the spindash, nice touch but other than that, I am dissapointed in seeing the unleashed gameplay recycled.

TL;DR Classic sonic back, his gameplay looks great, hope for classic sonic in 3d section as well

Modern sonic, not happy with inferior gameplay being recycled, still nice for those who did.

You do realize if Colors was on the 360/PS3 it would look just like Unleashed right? And that Colors was moslty 2D so them focusing on the 3D aspects for him is a good thing?, and the fact that the 3D sections in Colors were bland as hell?

Edited by Shadic93

creepyc.png

The first post doesn't link to the press release, just the trailer. I knew someone was going to do this once I read the actually press release.

Oh, and apparently there's going to be "three eras." Probably the early titles, 10th anniversary (around the time of the Adventure games), and now 20th anniversary (namely, recent years). I definitely appreciate the time travel plotline--that's the only way such a combination would work.

I do wish, though, that 3D gameplay would be more open than the Unleashed style, but Sega seems to think that everyone loves the Unleashed style of gameplay now and consider it far superior to the Adventure 3D gameplay. That is questionable... but the 3D gameplay in Unleashed/Colors isn't bad, either.

You do realize if Colors was on the Wii it would look just like Unleashed right? And that Colors was moslty 2D so them focusing on the 3D aspects for him is a good thing?, and the fact that the 3D sections in Colors were bland as hell?

This is mostly why I'm not ALL too hard pressed to see Unleashed gameplay returning, because from what I saw of it in..... well.... Unleashed, it looked pretty fucking awesome, it didn't restrain itself or look watered down in anyway, and took the formula it had going for it and made it as interesting and exhilarating as possible.

but Sega seems to think that everyone loves the Unleashed style of gameplay now and consider it far superior to the Adventure 3D gameplay. That is questionable... but the 3D gameplay in Unleashed/Colors isn't bad, either.

I think it WOULD be if they toned down the boost and added the physics from SA1/what they CLAIM their going in include in Classic Sonic's gameplay.

Edited by Black Spy

There's classic springs! And C.Sonic's gameplay just looks so right! I can't believe this. Just fucking wow. The level design looks like it's going to be very fun.

It's also very nice to note that M.Sonic will clearly play more like Unleashed HD than Unleashed Wii/Colours.

Edited by Blue Blood

This is mostly why I'm not ALL too hard pressed to see Unleashed gameplay returning, because from what I saw of it in..... well.... Unleashed, it looked pretty fucking awesome, it didn't restrain itself or look watered down in anyway, and took the formula it had going for it and made it as interesting and exhilarating as possible.

I think it WOULD be if they toned down the boost and added the physics from SA1/what they CLAIM their going in include in Classic Sonic's gameplay.

That would be nice, but dammit I still love Unleashed's sense of exhilaration and I'm glad its back.

I do hope some other characters appear, as in someone more than just Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

You do realize if Colors was on the Wii it would look just like Unleashed right? And that Colors was moslty 2D so them focusing on the 3D aspects for him is a good thing?, and the fact that the 3D sections in Colors were bland as hell?

I think you mean if it were on the HD consoles right? Colors was more than just sonic unleashed gameplay on an inferior console. Some changes like the slower inferior boost and less straighforward level design had huge influence on the gameplay.

But either way, sonic colors or unleashed. I hoped they did something new and better because even if I liked sonic colors, I know that there could exist something so much better and more apropriate. Sonic unleashed/colors controls don't allow slow platforming much. I mean it's possible, but it just feels inferior compared to what they had with sonic adventure for instance

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Hmmm...I wonder if this game is yet again another victim of the usual Sonic Team Variety pack gameplay.

Meaning: Modern Sonic=Speed.

Classic Sonic= Plattforming/Exploration Jazz.

...Oh God, that trailer looks fucking orgasmic. My hype level for this game has just gone through the roof. Classic gameplay combined with Unleashed/Colors gameplay (my 2 favorite styles of Sonic) in one game? This honestly looks like it could potentially be the best Sonic game ever for me.

Why don't they just give people what they want and make the whole damn game like that? lolsega

Because there are also a ton of people who like the Unleashed/Colors style as well? I seriously don't see the problem in including it, especially since you'll probably have the option to play as just C.Sonic if you want to.

Read a preview and I guess there's going to be some giant robot fish trying to eat you. I guess it must be the chase bot of the Green Hill Zone.

It's also very nice to note that M.Sonic will clearly play more like Unleashed HD than Unleashed Wii/Colours.

This is terrible news.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Looks pretty good. Classic gameplay appears to be a good replication of the old physics. However, I'm not sure if they've gotten the modern style to work right, since the problems it had in Unleashed were only "fixed" in Colors by making 3D sections rare compared to the 2D sections, and even then, were mostly "HA these floating rocks" or "QuickStep/Drift section".

Edited by Ekaje

I'm a tad annoyed that Sega has made C. Sonic so goofy. When I think of C. Sonic, I think of this:

STC71-Sonic.jpg

Or this:

STC100-SuperSonic.jpg

Rather than Tubby on the right here:

sonicteaser.jpg

Of course, regardless of whether or not Fleetway, Archie or SatAM was superior (I personally think that the Sonic Movie did the heroes better while SatAM did a far better job with the villains), I recognize that Sega is under no obligation to make Sonic the way some small comic or cartoon companies across the world made him over a decade ago. However, Sega itself had Sonic less goofy and more attitudey back then...

35ioqx1.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So Roger Craig Smith IS voicing C. Sonic, I knew it.

Besides the one "HA" in the beginning before C.Sonic's gameplay, I think he's going to be mute. I highly doubt they'll have a voice for classic Sonic. The Trailer even hints to that.

I think you mean if it were on the HD consoles right? Colors was more than just sonic unleashed gameplay on an inferior console. Some changes like the slower inferior boost and less straighforward level design had huge influence on the gameplay.

I know, I edited my original post about it. Exactly, something tells me Generations will follow that same route, nerfing the boost, and most of that good level design was mostly in 2D, so having it in 3D for a change makes it better.

Love the megadrive era and love unleashed...and love both classic and modern sonic designs, so this basically looks like my perfect sonic game so far. It's just all awesome.

The last few seconds addressed my only concern after the teaser, that they were going to make classic all bouncy and cute instead of cool. Looking good Sonic!

This is terrible news.

Just because the 3D shows speed doesn't mean it will be all about it. The 2d only showed speed-parts as well.

• Thumbs Up 2