Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

I dunno. He's pretty awesome when doing rhythmic ribbon though (my fave to watch for that is actually Bowser Jr, ergo).

I'm putting this plea out here too; Does anyone have a costume I don't, and could they tell me how they got it? I can't find the last triplet anywhere. D:

Edited by VEDJ-F

Compiling an unlockable suit list, copy/pasta'd from SoA. Here's the current list;

Espio Suit - Place 1st place ten times in any normal events.

Cream Suit - Place 1st ten times in any London Party bonus games.

Charmy Suit - Play for a total of 1 hour.

Larry Suit - Answer Shy Guy's Quiz correctly ten times.

Werehog Suit - Place 1st twenty five times in any normal events.

Big Suit - Play for a total of three hours.

Wendy Suit - Play events as a Mii ten times.

Super Sonic Suit - Place 1st fifty times in any normal events.

Out of the above, I am currently missing the Cream and Larry suits. The rest I have.

I am quite surprised that you do not get anything but a challenge cleared for getting 1st in every normal event...

Edit: Also this game says that Eggman Nega is from another dimension, but you don't give a shit about that.

Edi-WTF another question says that he's Eggman's descendent from the future too!

Obviously, they must have caught wind of the Blaze canon welding in Generations...

Edited by Pikawil

I GOT IT! I GOT THE LAST CHARACTER TO GIVE ME A SUIT!

I woke up this morning and had a brilliant brainwave; I've done everything single player, so what if the last set was multiplayer?

Sure enough, after playing five times, I got a suit! Soon I'll have a complete suit list!

Edit: Soon = Now.

Espio the Chameleon Suit - Place first place ten times in Single Event Mode.

Werehog Suit - Place first place twenty times in Single Event Mode.

Super Sonic Suit - Espio Suit - Place first place fifty times in Single Event Mode.

Charmy Bee Suit - Play for a total of one hour in Single Event Mode.

Big the Cat Suit - Play for a total of three hours in Single Event Mode.

Chip Suit - Play for a total of five hours in Single Event Mode.

Cream the Rabbit Suit - Place first ten times in the London Party Bonus Games.

Marine the Raccoon Suit - Place first fifty times in the London Party Bonus Games.

Tikal the Echidna Suit - Place first one hundred times in the London Party Bonus Games.

Larry Koopa Suit - Answer ten questions correctly in the London Party Quiz.

Roy Koopa Suit - Answer fifty questions correctly in the London Party Quiz.

Lemmy Koopa Suit - Answer one hundred questions correctly in the London Party Quiz.

Wendy O'Koopa Suit - Play as a Mii ten times in Single Event Mode.

Iggy Koopa Suit - Play as a Mii fifty times in Single Event Mode.

Morton Koopa Jr. Suit - Play as a Mii one hundred times in Single Event Mode.

Toad Suit - Play against a friend five times in Single Event Mode.

Ludwig Koopa Suit - Play against a friend ten times in Single Event Mode.

Diddy Kong Suit - Play against a friend twenty times in Single Event Mode.

Edited by VEDJ-F

HA! I get the last video post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54MhhbSuvkc&feature=feedu

Eggman does Mario's Star Spin. Heck, all of the characters probably do the Star Spin.

Also during Dream Hurdles, Wario's legs are so short it looks like Eggman is grabbing his butt.

EDIT:

You think that Eggman is the most flamboyant creature to grace Ribbon dancing?

Waluigi is so flamboyant he craps copies of Velvet Goldmine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5w-_2YhV24&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Wario, Bowser and the others can be seen Ribbon Dancing on the last one's related videos. Wario is much more masculine, and Bowser seems to be trying really, hard. None come close to Waluigi and Eggman, though.

Edited by Kintobor

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that only the female characters have gymnastic/swimsuit outfits while the males (if they are even wearing clothing) have the same set of clothes the entire time?

How would waluigi look in a swimsuit?

Does anyone else find it a bit odd that only the female characters have gymnastic/swimsuit outfits while the males (if they are even wearing clothing) have the same set of clothes the entire time?

Some things are better left unanswered

Better questions: how would Dr. Eggman look in a swimsuit? How would Wario look in a swimsuit? How would Bowser look in a swimsuit?!

... Yeah, I'm personally glad that they went the route they did.

I understand what you all are saying, but personally, I would prefer that if none of the guys have gymnastic outfits and wear normal clothes the whole time, I would prefer the same would be done for the girls.

Having the females have gymnastic outfits in certain events while the males don't - it seems sexist to me. Yes, I know that the outfits are not that revealing, they are similiar to outfits in real gymnastics, etc. The outfits in and of themselves don't bother me.

It's the concept that the females wear slightly more revealing attire while the males don't. I find that slighly sexist.

In the original games in Beijing, the females wore 'normal' athletic outfits the whole time if I remember correctly, and I would prefer the same would be done here.

I know I'm talking about a sensitive subject and many will disagree. But that is how I feel about it.

This small annoyance will not keep me from getting the game however. It looks to be a lot of fun. I just wanted to state this issue.

Better questions: how would Dr. Eggman look in a swimsuit? How would Wario look in a swimsuit? How would Bowser look in a swimsuit?!

... Yeah, I'm personally glad that they went the route they did.

...Bowser needed a swimsuit?

He's already a turtledragonkoopa thing...his shell is basically the swimsuit already.

-But, we should probably steer away from this conversation.

-But, we should probably steer away from this conversation.

That would be the wise choice, unless you guys fancy me reposting the little sketch I did of Wario and Eggman as a Ballet Duo from earlier in this very topic...>:3

Because the concept artists are a bunch of pervs.

How would Waluigi look in a swimsuit? Probably cross between Uncle Fester's striped Victorian one-piece from the Addams Family movie, but with a bared midriff.

Honestly, I don't understand how the women can get away with an outfit change when sports uniforms would help the men as well. Ever seen Eggman go swimming? Now, try that with an outfit like that on in real life.

And before anyone mentions that the men have never changed sports uniforms before, I would like to mention Mario Strikers.

Eggman-Nega, your fencing skills are pathetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find Silver's "YOU WIN" -> "...I've won!" unreasonably hilarious.

I love most of the rival themes, but it's kind of odd that they bothered with them at all when some of the events are so short. I mean, Dry Bowser and Jet got off okay, but Rouge and Omega's events are both about ten seconds long. The music barely even has a chance to get going.

I understand what you all are saying, but personally, I would prefer that if none of the guys have gymnastic outfits and wear normal clothes the whole time, I would prefer the same would be done for the girls.

Having the females have gymnastic outfits in certain events while the males don't - it seems sexist to me. Yes, I know that the outfits are not that revealing, they are similiar to outfits in real gymnastics, etc. The outfits in and of themselves don't bother me.

It's the concept that the females wear slightly more revealing attire while the males don't. I find that slighly sexist.

In the original games in Beijing, the females wore 'normal' athletic outfits the whole time if I remember correctly, and I would prefer the same would be done here.

I know I'm talking about a sensitive subject and many will disagree. But that is how I feel about it.

This small annoyance will not keep me from getting the game however. It looks to be a lot of fun. I just wanted to state this issue.

I'd say the reasons why they went the route that they did make perfect sense.

In a nutshell they can't really give all of the males gymnastic wear seeing as only five of them wear clothes to begin with, and it's in a horribly imbalanced in a 4:1 ratio from Team Mario to Team Sonic. Sonic can get away with a lifejacket in the aquatic events due to the fact that he can't swim, but any more outfit changes and that creates an imbalance between the teams. If the four clothing-wearing males on Team Mario received alternate clothing for certain events, it would create an unequal balance of per-team content and would make the game developers look like they were pandering to one team more than the other.

The only reason the females have alternate sporting attire to begin with was entirely due to Peach's and Daisy's dresses making some events flat-out physically impossible. Seeing as this wasn't Nintendo's first rodeo with a sports spin-off, they already had alternate athletic outfits to switch into. That being said, if Team Mario's female cast members had to sacrifice their iconic clothing, Team Sonic's did too. To avoid an imbalance in content (Amy also had the issue of pantyshots in her standard attire), Amy and Blaze also had to receive alternate outfits even if Blaze's default getup would have worked fine to begin with.

As for the introduction of the gymnastic apparel in particular; Mario & Sonic 2 gave all the female cast members new outfits fit for the title, and it appears that they're merely carrying on the tradition with this game by giving them another new one for the third instalment in the series. Amy and Blaze's attire from both games, as well as Peach's and Daisy's from the second, are the only costumes worn by any character in either title to remain exclusive to the Mario & Sonic series as a whole, so it would only make sense that they would introduce another set of outfits that one could instantly associate with Mario & Sonic at the 2012 London Olympic Games directly.

These outfits serve an important role in giving the series its own unique atmosphere outside of its parent series; Sonic Riders gave everybody Extreme Gear, whilst Super Mario Strikers gave everybody football attire. Just by looking at any character in either one of these series exclusive outfits and you know exactly which game they originated from, and the same goes for these outfits in the Mario & Sonic series. Why, in the form of interseries fanservice their Winter Olympic attire from the second title even make a suprise cameo reappearance in the equestrian events! The only reason these four new outfits were added was for the sake of keeping things consistent by giving these four characters an outfit that one can instantly associate with a specific game in this series.

(Just my two cents, at least.)

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 3

I appreciate your points. I understand them, but I still would preferred if the girls kept the original Beijing outfits through the game. Just my preference.

Oh, and to agree with a post far earlier in this thread, I'm glad Rosalina isn't a playable character. I appreciate the character and I'm glad she won't be lusted after like with Peach and Daisy. :/ Does she make a cameo?

Now, as for the game itself. What do you guys think of it? I know some are not to keen over it because of a lack of new characters and the hype has been killed by Generations. But it still looks fun to me. Anyone care to give a brief review?

Here's something interesting guys; I think there's dialogue that's left over from what could have been. You see, for Vacant Parking Lot Espio Search (sounds like the SSSSS), you have to try and find Espio by sound and use a dash to tag him. However, at least two characters mention about throwing shells at him, which never happens. It seems like the mechanic of the mini-game at one point was to hunt him out and try to get a shell at him, which would actually have made the mini-game a lot easier since the shells have far more range.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and to agree with a post far earlier in this thread, I'm glad Rosalina isn't a playable character. I appreciate the character and I'm glad she won't be lusted after like with Peach and Daisy. :/

Does anyone know what the third sticker page stickers are or how to aquire them? Also how to play all 6 different types of rotary chance? because I keep on getting the same two.

Roy Suit - Answer 50 questions correctly on the London Party mission quizzes.

Lemmy Suit - Answer 100 questions correctly on the London Party mission quizzes.

It's a Koopaling invasion!

Edit: Also this game says that Eggman Nega is from another dimension, but you don't give a shit about that.

Edi-WTF another question says that he's Eggman's descendent from the future too!

Yeesh......Sega just doesn't know what to do with Nega don't they, he's just....their.

I like the Sonic outfits cause they pay reference to alot of "One-Game" Characters, I wish they got more varied with the Mario outfits through instead of just Koopalings, I would love to have Mario & Luigi, Warioware and Paper Mario characters get some love, Nintendo always seems to ignore those two series, yet they have some of the coolest characters.

Anyone got screenshots of these costumes?

Super Mario Wiki has some shit low-quality screencaps of every suit.

I'm Kat-rin Koopa on there, if you ever happen to stumble upon that name.

Edited by VEDJ-F

Double post, starting a segment called "Marks and Sparks' Quirky Trivia".

Factoid #1; Rouge is good at hiking.

Factoid #2; Magikoopas do, in fact, wear shells underneath their robes.

Factoid #3; Cream must have a black hole for a stomach if she eats ice cream almost every day and has watching TV as her favourite past time.

Factoid #4; Any sort of calculaing would make Charmy's head hurt (or so they say...).

Factoid #5; Vector is not a keyboard player in canon (I know Sonicman's thrown up some words against this so I'll counter them;

1. The concept art cannot be taken as any form of canonicity at all. That's just daft.

2. Vector was never shown playing the keyboard, he was just standing next to one, his post-match dialogue makes it clear the music came from his singing.

3. You shouldn't argue with me about it, that's what SEGA said and deems as canon in terms of Vector's skills, not me.

Edited by VEDJ-F

I have a question to anyone who has this game: how's the gameplay this time around? I mean, hearing and seeing all the fanservice this game has to offer makes my inner Mario and Sonic fanboys squee and giggle with girlish delight, but a game's gameplay is always top priority as far as I'm concerned. So, as someone who purchased and liked the previous two games (both console and handheld version), will I find this game fun to play?

The controls are definitely more refined and easier to get to grips with than M&S1, I can say that much. I'd say if you liked the gameplay of the last two then go for it. Be warned that the AI can and will try to screw you over at every turn, though