Awoo.

M&S at the London 2012 Olympic games General and big horse (Oss) appreciation thread

Badnik Mechanic

I just can't drum up any excitement for this game. :/ I think I'm just completely burnt out on mini-game collections. Nothing they've shown so far seems to get me even slightly excited for this release. Except perhaps that NSMB style platforming mini-game in Yoshi's Story, but even that just stands to remind me how much I'd love a full out Mario & Sonic platformer. it's really a bummer that there aren't any new characters and the story mode is handheld exclusive again. Anyway there's too many games I really want coming this holiday season so I think I may actually skip this one. I wonder if this one will perform differently than the other two considering the Wii is basically on life support. Maybe that's why they sprung for the fancy yellow box.

Story Mode confirmed for 3DS version

*Spoilered for size. No actual story spoilers featured*

Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games™

On your marks and get set for the world’s greatest sporting event as Mario & Sonic head to the London 2012 Olympic Games. Coming exclusively to Wii and for the first time on Nintendo 3DS, Mario & Sonic return in an all new celebration of the Olympic spirit. Hosted within the truly iconic setting of London, the games are back, bigger and better than ever before, bringing even more multiplayer fun and excitement to friends and families everywhere.

FEATURES

Exciting headline events – Wii

All new events including Football, Showjumping and Canoeing will debut alongside redefined favourites, such as 100m Sprint, Aquatics, Table Tennis and more. Combine these with a new roster of the much loved Dream Events and the players now have more choice than ever before.

Party in London – Wii

Take the fun of the Olympic Games to the streets of London as the city becomes the ultimate playground! Take part in a huge number of mini-games around a variety of famous landmarks with all your favourite characters in the London Party mode.

Dozens of ways to play – Nintendo 3DS

Bringing a whole new dimension to the Mario & Sonic universe, enjoy a huge range of over 50 Olympic-themed events in glorious 3D. Make the most out of the unique touch panel and Circle Pad controls as you tilt, blow, shout, tap and more to compete for the coveted gold medal.

Engaging depth – Nintendo 3DS

Play as the full cast of characters in a fully immersive single player Story Mode. Take on the team of Dr. Eggman and Bowser in an all new exciting adventure.

For more information about the game, please visit www.olympicvideogames.com

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/mario-and-sonic-at-the-london-2012-olympic-games/

Well, story mode being 3DS exclusive makes sense when you consider that the entire Wii version push has been on the party mode.

I'm kind of disappointed about the lack of story mode in the Wii version, but there is a couple of saving graces; the 3DS version comes out after Christmas, which means that more people can get the 3DS itself, and there's an extra 3 months for SEGA to show us information about it (given that Generations will be out in November too).

I'm looking through the SEGA Europe Press Vault and it appears only the UK box art has the big red bus and Big Ben. The other European covers are the same as the US one.

Aw, the 3DS version isn't out until February? =/

That's actually the one I was looking forward to more, oddly.

I love Sonic's model.

And hate Mario's. He looks like he's made out of freaking rubber.

Also, there better be as much fanservice as in the Winter Games version.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think that the only character art on the box that we have is Princess Peach so far - everything else is apparently created for the box.

Yoshi however appears to be another special character art image by the perspective and lighting.

I'm looking through the SEGA Europe Press Vault and it appears only the UK box art has the big red bus and Big Ben. The other European covers are the same as the US one.

I suppose that's their way of giving something exclusive to the UK...? If so, I like the idea. Just makes me a tad sad since I'm in the US and like the UK cover art due to those things, but at the end of the day it's just pack art.

Though, I do have a question. I'm probably missing something obvious here, but of all the colors for the case, why yellow? Is it the official color of 2012's Olympics, an important color in the UK, or just something to help it stand out?

I suppose that's their way of giving something exclusive to the UK...? If so, I like the idea. Just makes me a tad sad since I'm in the US and like the UK cover art due to those things, but at the end of the day it's just pack art.

Though, I do have a question. I'm probably missing something obvious here, but of all the colors for the case, why yellow? Is it the official color of 2012's Olympics, an important color in the UK, or just something to help it stand out?

I assume it's supposed to be gold. As in going for the gold medal. At the end of the day it's really just to make the box stand out on the store self.

I noticed that the Olympic games were made by Smilebits. Kinda wierd.

Edited by ChikaBoing

Alright Shadow, admit it: You really weren't trying, were you? Luckily, Knuckles was there to pick up the slack. =(

This was a nice trailer overall. The whole split screen effect at the beginning was nice, and it probably would've been more fun to see it utilized throughout. It would have been double the fun!

Whats that supposed to mean?

The SEGA forums have finally got their Mario and Sonic at the Londin 2012 Olympic Games forum skin up (which has been due for three and a half months now). In the words of the announcement, "It's beginning to look a lot like summer and London around here [the forums]!"

...I've already told her, one person is enough.

Beautiful CG opening/trailer, though I like the previous one more.

I LOVE CG Grand Metropolis/Power Plant!

GRAND METROPOLIS AND WINDY VALLEY? Mario & Sonic 3 confirmed for having better stages than Generations. Also Blaze's swimsuit is so HNNNGGGGGGGGG. It just might replace her standard Summer Olympic wear as my favourite outfit on her.

I was already ridiculously hyped for this game as it is, but that was just all so awesome. I haven't posted in this thread for quite a bit, but I'm so enthralled to see Rivals making a comeback. I'm crossing my fingers for more of them this time! I also hope they returning cast members retain their themes from the past title, though (or better yet, remixed!); Eggman Nega's M&S2 theme is one of the best boss tracks in the entire series, in my opinion. Also, the newfound emphasis on Dream Events (to the point of including them in the opening cinematic) is more than okay with me!

Also beach volleyball and soccer! That's just so great. I also can't want to see just how massively improved the standard events have been made since the first title, if Mario & Sonic 2 is anything to go by.

EDIT: Just replayed the thing for the thousandth time and noticed the expression on Blaze's face during the Grand Metropolis segment. I love how they played with her acrophobia here! x3

Edited by HunterTSF

I noticed one thing, that new Dream Event from Mario is located in the Battlerock Galaxy! There's Topmaniac's arena and one planet in the background, Btw, that trailer looks awesome.

That.

Trailer.

ROCKED.

Seriously, say what you like about the Mario & Sonic games, but the CG intros are absolutely spectacular, and that was easily the best one of the three so far. Loving the new outfits for certain events (even if they are just for the female characters *giggity*) and great to finally see some Dream Events in the opening too - Grand Metropolis and Battlerock Galaxy are two very welcome additions, and I'm assuming their respective events will be Dream Pole Vault (or something to that effect) and Dream Hurdles. All looking good so far.

Consider me excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, Grand Metropolis is absolutely stunning in that trailer. I'm actually pissed off that they didn't use it for Generations; sure it would've been another city stage, but it would've been GORGEOUS!

However, there is one thing that's been on my mind: WHERE THE FUCK IS MY ROSALINA?! I saw a Mario Galaxy stage, dammit. She BETTER be in this somehow.

It's kinda kinda hard to make out Grand Metropolis since you only see it for a few seconds.

During that part at 1:49 where Sonic grabs Blaze's legs, for a split second

It also looked very slightly erotic, especially with Sonic's face.

(even if they are just for the female characters *giggity*)

Also Blaze's swimsuit is so HNNNGGGGGGGGG

God dammit.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1

However, there is one thing that's been on my mind: WHERE THE FUCK IS MY ROSALINA?! I saw a Mario Galaxy stage, dammit. She BETTER be in this somehow.

^ This.

I'm guessing at best she'll be one of the NPCs in the mode where you can tour around London, maybe you get to compete against her if you're lucky. Or with any luck the Mii costumes from Winter Olympics will return so you can have a Rosalina Mii costume, that'd be a pretty cool compromise.

Though on the other hand, perhaps it's a good thing she's not playable, especially with those swimsuits. It would be too much awesome to handle. Giggity giggity.

And yes, I did just say that last bit to wind people up :P /totallynotarosalinaperv

Goddamn it Shadow, will it really kill you to smile? I mean even Blaze can be happy about this.

• Thumbs Up 1