Awoo.

PS Vita

Patticus

Um...just thought I'd share something.

2516858-demon-gaze.jpg

For anyone that has or are planning to get the recently released PS Vita game, Demon Gaze. An enjoyable and challenging first person, dungeon crawling J-RPG. imho

It has a feature were you can leave "memos" in dungeons to share with other global players, and read the ones other players have left. They can often have clues for secrets and collectables, and sometimes...outright lies that might send you on the wrong path. They can also have story spoilers and there is no warning of it.

If you want to enjoy the story without being spoiled, then I'd suggest not using the feature. If took sometime into the game for the first major spoiler to appear and I never saw it coming...

Plus memos that some gamers have left are just plain weird. o_0

I got a Vita for Christmas from my girlfriend's family...

...have to say it is a lovely little machine.

Not got too many games for it, but the ones I do have are good. Got a digital copy of Killzone Mercenaries with it, this was the first FPS I had played in years, but it was a really good game (stry was pretty good for an FPS with planety of twists). :)

I also got some games on PS plus, which I no longer own but may have to purchase. The first game I got on the PS Plus was Uncharted Golden Abyss, excellent game, really immersive. Also on PS Plus, I got Guacamelee, a fun 2D brawler thing, good fun, simpe for short blasts of play, lovely visuals. And finally on PS plus I got Gravity Rush, dunno what other people think of this, I know it has gotten decent reviews, but. I found it to be sort of clunky. As I said I no longer have these now due to my PS Plus expiring (not going to renew it), so I may buy these.

I purchased Ridge Racer complete edition digitally along with the Daytona USA dlc, because racing around as the hornet in its original blocky glory next to all these hyper realistic cars is a must. Great fun.

Also digitally I purchased TxK, lovely colourful vector visuals, simpe shooting game, great for on the go, recommend this as it is really cheap anyway, so it is a bargain.

For physical games:

I have the Vita version of Sonic Racing Transformed, it is graphically better than the 3DS version, but is more difficult.

I have Super Monkey Ball - have not had much chance to play this much yet.

And finally...I recently got Tearaway (just 100% finished it) - excellent game, best vita exclusive I reckon. One of the best non SEGA games I have played, amazing story, beautiful visuals, solid gameplay, very immersive and really interactive - touch controls done right, this game makes use of every Vita feature, without it feeling tacked or forced in, the gameplay doesn't suffer at all.

• 2 weeks later...

IF you were planning on picking up the BL2 + Vita bundle, I'd think again. The port is shit. This is inexcusable for an old game that was in development for a while. Did Gearbox take part in their shady practices by stealing Sony's money or something? We all remember them with SEGA, right?

That said, one cannot overlook the fact that, at its very best, the PS Vita version is the very worst Borderlands 2 experience available.

the Vita struggles to keep up with all the action--this, obviously, is problematic for a game that requires twitch reaction and precision shooting.

key skills--melee attacks, class abilities, grenades--are mapped to the Vita's touch screen and rear touchpad by default, you'll often activate them by mistake when your thumbs slip from the thumbsticks, or when you hold the Vita a certain way.

Menus are unresponsive, and to top it all off, the game runs a likely risk of freezing completely and requiring a full restart. That's what you're dealing with when you attempt to enjoy the portable version of Borderlands 2 - a sluggish, inconsistent, choppy, plainly inferior experience that would never have been acceptable had it been what the initial console and PC releases were like.

At its best, Borderlands 2 on Vita plays like your Vault Hunter is fighting underwater with dumbbells strapped to their ankles; at its worst, it’s a nearly unplayable slideshow. Even during rare stretches where it maintains a constant framerate, it’s well south of 30, and it hitches at random like playing an MMO on dial-up.

TL;DR - Gearbox made a shiity port and it wasn't worth the wait. The BL2 bundle is not worth it.

I'm personally waiting for a better bundle. I really want to play Dissidia again. If Square Enix made a Dissidia sequel, I would squeal and buy a Vita day 1.

Erm.... hang on a second.

Isn't there a big thing over at Neogaf right now about how Journalists have got the Vita port of borderlands 2 completely wrong?

• Thumbs Up 1

They should rename the Vita to PlayStation PORTable because I'm fed up with the Vita getting ports, and not even good solid ports but bad ones.

Sometimes I wonder why I still have the Vita.

• Thumbs Up 3

IF you were planning on picking up the BL2 + Vita bundle, I'd think again. The port is shit. This is inexcusable for an old game that was in development for a while. Did Gearbox take part in their shady practices by stealing Sony's money or something? We all remember them with SEGA, right?

TL;DR - Gearbox made a shiity port and it wasn't worth the wait. The BL2 bundle is not worth it.

I'm personally waiting for a better bundle. I really want to play Dissidia again. If Square Enix made a Dissidia sequel, I would squeal and buy a Vita day 1.

Gearbox didn't make the port.  Iron Galaxy Studios did.

And that's a load of shit, because the port is pretty damn good.

In terms of other options, yes, the Vita version is the worse version you can go with. Bad version though, I don't think so. I'm selling my code though so I haven't played it.

They should rename the Vita to PlayStation PORTable because I'm fed up with the Vita getting ports, and not even good solid ports but bad ones.

Sometimes I wonder why I still have the Vita.

There are some good ports on it, but yeah, it feels like the Vita is stuck in the 3DS' first few months with the only games worth talking about are ports.

Except the Vita has been stuck like that for 2 years now, compared to the 3DS' half a year. I mean God, the PSP had more interesting games than the Vita and if Sony keep ignoring it like this, even at the E3 conference, then this handheld will be Mortem by next year.

if Sony keep ignoring it like this, even at the E3 conference, then this handheld will be Mortem by next year.

It's already dead. This statement might have been more appropriate last year, but by now the time of "turning things around" is long gone. Literally the only chance it has of surviving is by using the Vita TV as a set top box Trojan Horse, and even the chances of that are slim.

Vita's dead, and Sony's better off spending their time and resources on making the PS4 as good as can be. 

• Thumbs Up 2

As someone who owns a Vita and really enjoys it.

Bring on the ports!

Seriously, I would fucking love it if more PC games made their way too it, to the point where I would probably enjoy games more if they were on the portable system. Life Goes On, Papers Please, FTL, Plague Inc to name a few. 

I would buy those day 1 if they were on Vita, that system is just crying out for somebody at Sony to go actively trying to grab some of these PC games and bring them to it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looking at my wanted games list, the Vita basically rules it.

The Vita has no games argument depends on the way you look at its library. Do you want big blockbuster titles like GTA, Uncharted or Final Fantasy? Then give up on the thing, SCEA only ports shit nowadays while big third party companies never gave a damn about the console.

Where the Vita excels is on the niche market, just like the PSP mostly did.

New indie and japanese titles are announced basically every week for the console and recently a shitload of those jp games that had no chances in hell to be released in other countries are now being localized thanks to companies like XSEED, NISA and even Sony that helped with Tales of Hearts, SOA and maybe even the new Digimon title.

And while the American section of Sony doesn't seem to care anymore, that doesn't mean that the whole company does the same. Last year SCEE gave us titles like Tearaway and Killzone while Japan Studio are working on at least three more titles, Gravity Rush 2, Freedom Wars and Over My Dead Body 2.

While the Vita doesn't and won't sell like the 3DS, as long as it rules this niche market it won't die, especially when some series are making the console their new "home".

And lets not lie, ports are always welcome unless they are major shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's already dead. This statement might have been more appropriate last year, but by now the time of "turning things around" is long gone. Literally the only chance it has of surviving is by using the Vita TV as a set top box Trojan Horse, and even the chances of that are slim.

Vita's dead, and Sony's better off spending their time and resources on making the PS4 as good as can be. 

I semi agree.

Sony don't need to throw away money trying to sell it, but they can let it sell however many thousand units it sells every month, and let it become a niche machine. As long as its not being sold at a loss, which by now, it shouldn't be, its fine. It will continue to have tons of indie games, tons of ports and has rather excellent second-screen functionality paired with a PS4.

It cannot become as big as the 3DS at this point. Not even as big as the PSP, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't need to be. As long as its continue to be well-supported by 3rd parties and the occasional first party production, it will never truly die....it'll just be living quietly in a high-attach-rate corner, soaking in the extra $$$ for Sony in the background.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally the Vita is a very good console released in a changing market with smartphones and tablets taking over one part and another part being that the 3DS also has the benefits of Mario, Pokemon and possibly Monster Hunter making it hard for the Vita to succeed. When it first started it got an exclusive Uncharted game, an exclusive WipEout game with some PS3 ports and a few exclusives to keep it steady however it seemed that it was struggling despite developers and publishers trying even with some really good PS3 ports (Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed and Need for Speed: Most Wanted are pretty good ports, Metal Gear Solid Collection is also quite good as well). It's hard to say whether Sony did try, SCEE and SCEI have tried or are trying their best with the former releasing LittleBigPlanet and Killzone exclusives as well as pushing the development of Tearaway and releasing bundles from various memory card + games to Football Manager Classic and the latter released Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrafice and a few more but it was SCEA that didn't want to do with the console very much apart from the early days, some ports and possibly Call of Duty Vita. It does seem with the stigma that caused a decline with people not buying the console = no games got made or if they did got made, a lower budget release. Like with the recent PS3 ports not being well... at least they are free if you have it on the PS3 digitally with Sly Cooper apparently being the better of the recent batch. So currently it is an indie/Japanese game with some PS2/PS3 ports console with remote play and at this point will be like this for the remaining life of the console.

Thinking though, would a big game cause hype on the console? If the Call of Duty game was better, it could have been a possiblity however some of the success of the PSP were also more than just one game. The GTA series helped some of its sales however lately only mobile, 360 and the PS3 got GTA games whether it is a port of GTA 3 and Vice City or GTA V. Now the Vita can actually do the first two games with some changes to the controls and it can run the PSP games even though they are more forgotten now.  GT would have also helped however currently the series hasn't been selling as well as previous entries (GT6 is considered a flop compared to the others apart from Concept that was like an expansion pack) and like GTA the PSP game can be bought via PSN. Similar thing to Ratchet & Clank except it did get a game a really bad port though, Jak & Daxter, God of War, Sonic, Metal Gear and other top series. A combination of new titles from these series may have helped however it could also be market conditions as well. The Vita came out in the UK when Game was in administration and if Game were to close it would have been harder for the product to stock.

As for Sony, they have lowered the costs of the console by changing (the lovely but still early stages) OLED display with a LCD one and that the ARM processors are getting cheaper so from them they are making a small profit from a niche in Western countries and less of a niche in Japan due to having appealing games just enough to keep the machine at bay. In business it is possible to have a profit on a niche product that at this moment in time, the Vita can continue unless Sony makes a loss per unit. From what I've read, if it wasn't for the fanbase of the console and the high attachment rate of games per owner Sony would have already pulled the plug already.

Another thing to think about is that the Vita also has backwards compatibility with the PS1 and the PSP in a digital sense. Playing PS1 games with good emulation can be an insentive with its library. With the PSP though, in the future the UMD disc drive will at some point fail on the consoles (same thing with the OLED displays on the original Vita model) the Vita can take over and providing Sony licenses the library, can keep up with games. Sort of like a Virtual Console type of way. It is true that the PSP got hacked and people just downloaded UMD rips of games to play on the PSP though so that might not apply.

As someone who owns a Vita and really enjoys it.

Bring on the ports!

Seriously, I would fucking love it if more PC games made their way too it, to the point where I would probably enjoy games more if they were on the portable system. Life Goes On, Papers Please, FTL, Plague Inc to name a few. 

I would buy those day 1 if they were on Vita, that system is just crying out for somebody at Sony to go actively trying to grab some of these PC games and bring them to it.

I'm right there with you, I really enjoy my Vita. 

I have yet to play some of the ports I plan on getting, like the original Sly trilogy and Borderlands 2, but I've only heard good things about them. That's not to say that I've heard about some pretty crappy ports as well, but it seems like they're getting better.

Besides, the Vita has some great originals. I absolutely LOVE Tearaway, it utilizes the Vita in ways many developers wouldn't have and will never. I prefer LBP Vita's create mode to any other in other LBP games. Gravity Rush is seriously super fun... I could go on and on. 

Also, the cross-play feature is awesome. Infamous Second Son plays and looks just as great on the Vita as it does on the PS4, and I frequently play PSASBR on my Vita. 

To be honest, when I play on a handheld, I much more frequently find myself picking up my Vita than my 3DS. So I personally don't think it's that much of a failure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Erm.... hang on a second.

Isn't there a big thing over at Neogaf right now about how Journalists have got the Vita port of borderlands 2 completely wrong?

Link? I googled and found no information. It's incredibly silly for people to say reviewers have the game "completely wrong."

What I think may be possible is a Day 1 patch that could possibly improve performance. But that brings up the questions, who the fuck ships out their game in an unplayable state (ESPECIALLY TO REVIEWERS) to patch later? Ridiculous standards we have these days.

IGN Podcast Summary

BL2 4 players online on Vita was reduced to 2.

GDC build was very bad, current build is a little better.

Bundling the Vita with bad ports is a bad idea because it gives a bad impression of the Vita (COD, BL2)

Rumored poor sales of Vita, selling only 10k in a month

No first party Vita games

I remember a couple decent third party games announced for Vita. Phantasy Star Nova was announced a while back and should be releasing soon.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/phantasy-star-nova-revealed-for-ps-vita

While Vita support is pretty poop and may turn you off by the constant ports, I think it will have a decent library by the time it fades away. Phantasy Star Nova, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, and maybe one or two other games. The system also has the backlog of PSP games which is incredibly nice.

Sony just needs to pay a studio to produce a game exclusively for their system from the ground up. It can't be a port UNLESS it's something good like Final Fantasy Type-0. Dissidia sequel? Sonic the Hedgehog spin-off? GTA side story? A GOOD Call of Duty game?

Okay, I wasn't thinking when I said the Vita only has bad ports. I forgotten about Sly 4, Sonic Transformed and PlayStation All-Stars. Still though, there are more bad ports than there are good.

For the collections such as Jak, Sly and GoW...well it will be embarrassing if these aren't good ports since are a port of a port titles.

Tearaway, LBP and Gravity Rush are the only good exclusive games for me. I was going to throw Hatsune Miku too until her games now on PS3.

But even if you add Uncharted and Soul Sacrifice that is like... 5 good exclusives. Hardly anyone is going to buy the Vita with these small amount of exclusives. It's embarrassing. I'm still waiting for a Ratchet & Clank title for my freaking Vita! And no Full Frontal Assault doesn't count, because not only because it is a port, but I was so bitterly disappointed that it is a terrible port.

And for Phantasy Star Nova, until it's out for the west and it's a terrific game I've gonna leave that one out.

It's so clear. Unless you love Japanese niche titles or you want to play PS4 games on the go don't buy the Vita. At least in its current price. If only I can go back and change my mind with the purchase I would be happy too. I learnt my lesson. Stick with Nintendo on handhelds. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I learnt my lesson. Stick with Nintendo on handhelds. 

I'll be shocked if anyone not named Nintendo makes a handheld after this.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Vita is doing fairly well in Japan, so I doubt that.

Why would an international corporation bother manufacturing and distributing a major device that will only sell decently in a single, small region? Selling well in a continent-sized country like the US is one thing, but selling average in a small country like Japan is less than preferable. 

Even Nintendo's handheld sales are rapidly declining. It's a dying market, and there's literally no reason to jump in.

I'll be shocked if anyone not named Nintendo makes a handheld after this.

Good news.

BoQ0HTaIEAATPYg.png

Yes it's real.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interestingly.. go on this video and try tweeting a direct link to it. At first I thought it was a hilarious mistake, but I've tried tweeting a direct link to that video (not a redirect link or a playlist link, a direct link) twice and both times it embeds as a Vita video from a PlayStation playlist.

Something very funky's happening there, and I don't know if it's the fault of Nintendo's Youtube or Youtube themselves.

EDIT: Also Discoid I know you don't exactly want the handheld market to die but I'm going to be praying every day for the rest of my life that you're wrong, bc if handheld video game consoles die then chances are my interest in video games will die with it lmao.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Also Discoid I know you don't exactly want the handheld market to die but I'm going to be praying every day for the rest of my life that you're wrong, bc if handheld video game consoles die then chances are my interest in video games will die with it lmao.

I hope I'm wrong too. Really do.

• Thumbs Up 3