Awoo.

Tomb Raider - Out 05/03/2013 for X360/PS3/PC

Shaddix Leto Croft

I'm sort of sick of hearing "It's like Uncharted" when TR started this back in 2005 with Legend (well when it rebooted the series core gameplay too) when that game was out in 2007 it's really annoying to me.

Tomb Raider started in 1996 actually.happy.png

Okay I have just bought this months Gamemaster and it has a interview with the lead writer who is Rhianna Pratchett than the daughter of Terry Pratchett, she has written female video game characters before such as Mirror's Edge's Faith and Noriko from Heavenly Sword.

Here is her take on the so-called "rape" scene.

"The thing is I wasn't announced at the time so I wasn't able to come out and say 'actually, this is what we're doing in this scene'. I can totally why [it sparked controversy], there was limited information out there and some things were said were just not accurate. I think everyone who's talked about it since has talked about context. There's no flick switch to bad assery, that scene happens, she has to deal with it, but her character is not changed because of it. This isn't I spit on your Grave or the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Not to sound dismissive, but when you see it as a whole, she's gone through lots of challenges before that and there are many more challenges after that.".

She follows after being questioned about the "Players will want to protect Lara comment from the producer":

"I am not going to say that every player has the same relationship with their character. I actually think that scene has more power for players that feel they are the character, because it is uncomfortable. It should be uncomfortable. It just shows there's not enough knowledge about videogames for people to stand up and say 'That's not what it is like.' People just think 'Videogames are for kids and its rape and ARRRR!' There's just not enough knowledge to counteract bullshit headlines.".

I would scan it if I had a Scanner.

So far Gamemaster like what they have seen and have gave it a 5 on their Thrill-O-Meter.

I still think this game is worth a look at but I am fan of the series so I am a bit biased.wink.png

Edited by BW199148

Are we past the whole supposed "misogynistic" controversy now, because this looks seriously badass.

When people stop bitching about that one taken out of context scene, then maybe we'll get some discussion.

It's still happening on other forums

The bitching I mean

That does look pretty good. God damn Lara sure does goes through alot of shit in this game.

Hope she has health insurance.

Edited by Nintendoga

Generalizing/trivializing the other sides' arguments is great!

My issues with the game lie with far more than just the "attempted rape" or "wanting to protect Lara" aspects; I still feel very strongly about what I argued for in this topic and I have not changed my mind or lessened my distaste. At the same time neither I nor anyone else in this thread had ever tried to rain down on others' enjoyment as we were simply discussing something worth discussing, and you are not "in the wrong" if you are interested in the game or like it in any way. So it'd be appreciated if you guys knocked that off because I'm rather tired of people acting like we were whining over nothing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Even with the gameplay footage, this game doesn't have anything I love about the Tomb Raider series. It doesn't even have Lara.

The one thing I kept thinking about during the whole VGA trailer was the following.

"Remember when you used to raid tombs in this series?"

It's probably going to be a good game, but it's like how Command and Conquer 4 is called command and conquer even though... it's not.

• Thumbs Up 1

What about looking at the game as if it wasn't a Lara Croft game? What if you took it as a brand new adventure starring a similar face?

I've never played the previous games, so if I do pick it up, I probably wouldn't be comparing it to other Tomb Raider games. I'm taking it as a brand new 3D adventure game.

What about looking at the game as if it wasn't a Lara Croft game? What if you took it as a brand new adventure starring a similar face?

I've never played the previous games, so if I do pick it up, I probably wouldn't be comparing it to other Tomb Raider games. I'm taking it as a brand new 3D adventure game.

It doesn't star a familiar face though. This new Lara is nothing, absolutely nothing like the Lara we know and love. I can't look at this game as if it isn't a Lara Croft game because it's supposed to be one. It's supposedly her back-story. It may well turn out to be a very good game. But Tomb Raider it is not.

Edited by Blue Blood

Look, lots of people have been saying Uncharted: Lara Croft Edition as a joke. But behind that joke there is a good point. If you're going to take Tomb Raider down this road, why even continue the franchise at all. Build a franchise from scratch that doesn't have the baggage of the old games so people are more excepting to what you throw at them.

With this game, it looks cool. But... none of it looks like what I got from the original Tomb Raider games.

Take the first one, Lara's character was strong enough to change how people play videogames, you could have a female character on display not wearing power armor or any other disguise and people would want to play as her because she was kicking arse /Gaze theory.

The second game she even breaks the 4th wall and shoots the camera after nearly taking her robe off... most likely due to all the 'nude codes' that people claimed existed back then. The devs knew what people were saying and turned it right back on them.

The start of the game has her hanging upside down tied up moaning, and I've joked many times that I intend to start the game and just leave her there... but... the croft I know wouldn't do any of the stuff, she wouldn't start saying 'it's gonna hurt! It's gonna hurt!' This is the woman who eventually is going to run around her own home wearing a gown shooting an army of masked intruders with a shotgun and before that is going to take on the lost city of Atlantis' Abortion monster. That is quite the jump from the girl we see in the new tomb raider, regardless as to what she goes through in this game.

Then there was the game where for the first stage you played as Lara when she was in her teens and you learn how she got the backpack. But even in this one, she was a quick witted teenager who wasn't going to take being mocked to by her tutor.

Tomb Raider 2013... not so much.

She doesn't act like you see her in any of the previous games, even though 'she's in pain!' or 'she's in peril!' Or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't change the fact that she's not acting or behaving as we would expect her too based on what we've seen from past titles.

Now if we want to be really cynical and look at the Tomb Raider canon, either that level where she gets the backpack takes place just before or just after this game does... it just doesn't fit. Even the flashbacks she's had with who I presume is her father don't fit the character we know.

Which begs the question.... why is this a Tomb Raider game when the only thing it shares with Tomb Raider is the name... MONEY! Well yes... but they've missed the biggest cash cow possible, the game looks good enough and has been hyped enough to be a decent product on it's own.... So let me come up with an alternative story for it.

Title: DANGER ISLAND!

Synopsis: Aurelia Rosebud, daughter of explorer Sir Issac Rosebud is shipwrecked on a deserted island, hunted by it's inhabitants she must use her basic survival skills and training to survive and get help for her fellow castaways before time runs out.

There you go, I did it, I invented a new franchise which doesn't have any baggage from the original games which people can now come to fresh and see the character develop in the game... all the while you still have the Tomb Raider IP for when you want to actually make a Tomb Raider game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is the title finalized yet?

What happens if the game ends up being called Lara Croft: or something? But yeah, the money is a big factor here. I'm sure Tomb Raider: Rape Edition will sell more than Danger Island.

Edited by Autosaver

Is the title finalized yet?

What happens if the game ends up being called Lara Croft: or something? But yeah, the money is a big factor here. I'm sure Tomb Raider: Rape Edition will sell more than Danger Island.

The title is long since finalised. It's a reboot of the franchise. Calling it "Lara Croft: *subtitle*" would be no better, since it still perpetrates the same character and series. The thing is, "Danger Island" could be just as successful as any new IP if it's marketed properly. Heck, New Tomb Raider or whatever you want to call it is being marketed well. It just happens to share a few names.

Not neccessarily - there is no doubt it could be success, but the using of established IPs allows marketing to be much cheaper as people already know who it is. If Nintendo made a platformer that didn't use Mario, it probably wouldn't do as good as a Mario title.

Take Super Mario Brothers 2* for example. The name using Mario and it being a sequel made a bigger sales figure than it being titled "Doki Doki Panic". Kirby's Epic Yarn* is also another example. Sure you could market new IPs all you want, but it could end up being a flop.

*I like these examples because they're NOTHING like the original.

Edited by Autosaver

Just because it's an existing IP doesn't mean it will instantly be a hit. Especially when a huge reboot is involved. Everything you're arguing right now basically amounts to "New IPs should never be made!" This reboot has turned Tomb Raider and Lara Croft herself into nothing any fan of the series would expect. There's no reason other than mooching off of an existing franchise for this to still be called Tomb Raider.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think this has been posted yet. Episode 3 of The Final Hours of Tomb Raider - The Sound of Survival:

Would people stop bringing it up like that? I am all for people discussing certain aspects that people find uncomfortable, offensive and even sexist. But going about it like "DERP! RAPE!" just makes me not want to take you seriously at all.

According to the Gamemaster interviews with the developers there are Tombs in the game they just seem to be focusing on the Uncharted/Survival aspects of the game. Hopefully we will see some Tomb action before release, otherwise why is it still called Tomb Raider. wink.png

Though to be fair some earlier Tomb Raiders did deviate from pure Tomb Raiding parts, Veince, Offshore Rigs in Tomb Raider II. London and Area 51 in Tomb Raider 3. The whole of Angel Of Darkness. The Submarine and Skyscraper parts in Tomb Raider: Chronicles. Tomb Raider I, Tomb Raider: Revelations, Anniversary and Underworld are the only Tomb Raider games that stuck largely to raiding Tombs.

Edited by BW199148

• 2 weeks later...

I want to find someone who's actually played Tomb Raider and said to themselves "Gee, I wish this had multiplayer."

And then I want to punch him in the mouth.

• Thumbs Up 4

Another case of shoehorning in a multiplayer mode that nobody wanted or asked for. It's adding unnecessary shite like that which dilutes singleplayer experiences which could really have benefited from extra time and resources heading their way. I'd bet good money that its addition was a demand from the publisher's marketing suits.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently, GAME listed the multiplayer feature earlier today with a tidbit of info that has since been removed.

● Survive as a Team: Play a variety of multiplayer modes as Lara’s Shipmates or Yamatai’s Scavengers.

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/12/tomb-raider-multiplayer-confirmed.html

EDIT:

A little more info from the official Tomb Raider blog:

OXM Reveals Tomb Raider Multiplayer In January Cover Story

Yep, you read it right. The January issue of OXM has revealed a secret addition to Tomb Raider, and one a long-time in the making. While Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work crafting and polishing the single-player experience, our sister studio Eidos Montreal has been working tirelessly to introduce multiplayer to the world of Tomb Raider.

Inspired by the overwhelmingly positive response to co-op play in Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, we’ll have many more details about Tomb Raider’s multiplayer offering come CES in early January. Issue #145 of OXM also dives deep into single player content and combat.

Can we all take a second to admire how beautiful the cover art is? You can thank Brian Horton for the lovely piece above starring Lara and Roth.

I hope you guys are as excited as I am! I can’t wait to play with fellow fans online come launch day.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/39044023463/oxm-reveals-tomb-raider-multiplayer-in-january

Here is the special limited edition Tomb Raider controller

MxoxC.jpg

4oGvE.jpg

For a million pounds you too can have a 360 controller thats been dipped in red/pink paint and been scratched with house keys.

• Thumbs Up 4