Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

I was amused to see that the Wii reviewer actually does know what the classics were known for, while the DS reviewer has fallen for the current fast-FAST-FAST false memory. Old Sonic was a fast platformer, and the second word is every bit as key as the first. I got my NP mag today, so I'll see if I can get the scanner to cooperate.

I found that the reviewer was saying the graphics were close to the Genesis games by being dot-pixel while playing up the speed aspect.

Which, game play wise, would line up with what you guys are jumping down his throat for. Playing up the speed aspect.

Edited by Mykonos

Woah woah woah, wait! Jun Senoue composed the soundtrack. Woah. He sure stepped up his game. That's not even his sound, either. Just...wow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think they're getting this incorrect. The confusion may have originated from that Nintendo Power article naming (wrongly I believe) Jun as sound director, but I'm pretty sure Tomoya Ohtani is the sound director for this game, for reasons I've stated in previous topics.

The orchestral scores, the little 1-up/Act complete jingles, the style of music, and the fact that Tomoya Ohtani has been confirmed as having composed both Reach for the Stars and Speak with your Heart all point to him being at the healm for this game rather than Jun. We probably won't know for sure until the end credits of Colours, but for now, I'm almost certain it's Ohtani.

Hey, here's a thought.

The Sound Director doesn't always compose every single track in a game.

Jun Senoue can be the Sound Director, but there are multiple composers.

Just like when Ohtani is the Sound Director, other composers like Naofumi Hataya, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Namba, Hideaki Kobayashi etc. also help out with the Soundtrack.

The Black Knight Soundtrack was directed by Senoue, but Kumatani, Hataya, Richard Jaques, Howard Drossin etc were also composers.

There isn't 1 guy doing everything, that's why its called the sound team.

Plus I think the Asteroid Coaster sounds like Something Senoue would based on how the chords sound. Ohtani usually does something different with the guitars.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hey, here's a thought.

The Sound Director doesn't always compose every single track in a game.

Jun Senoue can be the Sound Director, but there are multiple composers.

Just like when Ohtani is the Sound Director, other composers like Naofumi Hataya, Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Namba, Hideaki Kobayashi etc. also help out with the Soundtrack.

This. Ohtani was Sound Director for Unleashed, but he actually composed the least amount of tracks for it out of all the sound creators.

The fact that so many people have said it is Senoue, somebody would have corrected them. I'm loving the score so far, I can't wait to get the soundtrack.

This. Ohtani was Sound Director for Unleashed, but he actually composed the least amount of tracks for it out of all the sound creators.

The fact that so many people have said it is Senoue, somebody would have corrected them. I'm loving the score so far, I can't wait to get the soundtrack.

Edited by Scar

Yeah, but as I said in my last post, I'm pretty sure Nintendo Power has been the only one to mention Jun's involvement at all. Of course Jun wouldn't lie, but how do we know that the interview with him wasn't subject to translation errors like Iizuka's apparently are?

We should probably ask AAUK or someone to 100% confirm once and for all who Sonic Colours' sound director is. B)

I don't see why you guys got bent out of shape over the Rush/Genesis comparison. If you read the quote, he never actually said that Rush plays like the Genesis games. In fact, he said they "play up the trademark high-speed gameplay", suggesting that he knows that Rush is more speed oriented. All he said was that Rush is faithful to the "2D, dot-pixel graphics" of the Genesis games...whatever that means.

I thinks its more of a quality begets quality kind of thing. Everyone remembers the Classic series being good, and then here come Sonic Rush that is also good (which came in on a wave of a proverbial sea of crap within the franchise), so people unwittingly make the connection.

Not they are justified in doing so mind you, but Rush can make you nostalgic in the fact that you are really enjoying a Sonic game.

Also this.

• Thumbs Up 2

All he said was that Rush is faithful to the "2D, dot-pixel graphics" of the Genesis games...whatever that means.

It doesn't sound that hard to comprehend, I don't think; he didn't say anything about gameplay. Maybe he just meant that the Rush series’ graphics were like the classic series, which isn't such a stretch to say.

Edit: derp. He did mention gameplay, but it seems he was only referring to the Rush series.

PlantKingdom1.gifmushroomhill11.png

SRA_Sky_Babylon.jpgSkysanctuary.png

medium.jpgSandopolis.png

Edited by Illuminous_Orb

Looks like some sort of early Mirage Road? The screen looks pretty dated looking at the Ring and Time on there. I don't think it's like that in the final build.

I remember the technical demonstration showcased before the announcement of Sonic The Hedgehog (the 2006 one), and damn that looked fantastic. I said to myself, well, that's gotta be it, the slump is over. Sonic games from now on will be awesome! Turns out I was wrong. Then Sonic Unleashed was announced, and this time the gameplay looked and proved to be really solid. I said to myself, well, that's gotta be it, the slump is over for real this time. Turns out I was wrong - but only half wrong this time. Now, Sonic Colors is announced, and this time I have no expectations at all. I say to myself, this is it, time to get my hopes dashed again. Turns out I may be wrong. It's only a month or so away and there's no catch. No unplesant gameplay changes, no unpolished gameplay.

I think it'll be awesome.

Exactly, also given the fact that it was mentioned that he was Sound Director for the game, in an interveiw with Senoue, why would it not be true.

Would he really lie like that?

Besides Kevin, Ken, Aaron or Kellie would have mentioned it if he wasn't[

maybe they were busy? by any chance, do you think Kellie is working on 1 game? She barley Responses on the sonic colors forums.

Quote me back when she says 'no'.

Inb4: Iizuka said

We all know that Iizuka doesn't know what he's talking about, and is subject to many translation errors.

iizuka said that the SEGA Sound Team is working on this.

like it or not he is the producer of the game and he knows much way better than you.

who knows iizuka didn't say 'jun isn't composing the sound track' he only said 'sega sound team'. don't bash him because he didn't tell you the name of Every member in that sound team.

maybe Jun and Unleashed sound team is working on this. iizuka didn't say specifically that its Jun or any thing.

Edited by speedduelist

Yeah, but as I said in my last post, I'm pretty sure Nintendo Power has been the only one to mention Jun's involvement at all. Of course Jun wouldn't lie, but how do we know that the interview with him wasn't subject to translation errors like Iizuka's apparently are?

Unlike Iizuka, Jun can speak English. So if NP asked him if he was sound director for Colours when they interviewed him for 4, I'm sure he must have said yes, otherwise why would they have said it?

Also the fact that they must have the final game, I wouldn't rule it out that they checked the credits to see who the sound director was.

Also the fact that they must have the final game, I wouldn't rule it out that they checked the credits to see who the sound director was.

the game wasn't even finished at the time they had sonic colors on their hands...

Jun him self didn't say he is the sound director. its just nintendo power said it 'we interview jun who is the sound director of ...etc and sonic colors'

we didn't have 2 Blue Emeralds in the classics (we only had 1), the simulator shows 2. And the purple is the 5th One counting from the left.

the Cyan one is in the simulator, in the classics it was suppose to be pink... so we will have to wait to figure things out.

7 stages in simulators that contains sprites that looks like emeralds should mean some thing...

Pink hasn't been around since Sonic Adventure it was replaced by Purple, and Light and Dark blue was in Sonic3. Also if you wanna be really specific, there isn't an orange one wither, it was replaced by yellow :V I think you need your eyes checking man

Pink hasn't been around since Sonic Adventure it was replaced by Purple, and Light and Dark blue was in Sonic3. Also if you wanna be really specific, there isn't an orange one wither, it was replaced by yellow :V I think you need your eyes checking man

you need an Eye check because i never mentioned 'orange' in my post.

simulator.jpg

The Screen shot was taken by me from Sonic 3 (the One on the left, While the right one is from the simulator video) and I only see light Blue and Purple (or at least it looks like it).

and i was comparing Sonic 3 to Sonic Colors Emeralds. Not adventure to Sonic Colors.

Edited by speedduelist

The Emerald colors were changed, like the Sonic cast's designs were.

Diogenes posted a pic that explains it:

No, those are definitely the emeralds. The only real difference from the current set is that the purple one's darker than usual (though, honestly, it varies from game to game, and it might be affected by the quality of the video, or whether or not it's selected, or earned, or whatever).

ssem.png

(emeralds taken from SRA)

Honestly I thought it was obvious from the start that those were the emeralds. The real question was whether they were just there as a decoration or if the emeralds actually had something to do with the simulator...and that review confirms that they do.

Edited by MarcelloF