Awoo.

Sonic Colours Review topic

Shaddix Leto Croft

So no special stages in the Wii version. :( Oh well, but why would Eggman collecting Chaos Emeralds in his simulator enable Sonic to use them in the real world? It doesn't make much sense.

Also the though of a Miis head on Sonic's body IS terrifying.

It could happen but I kinda doubt it. Though the idea of my face on Sonic's body going super is both hilarious and scary at the same time.

Well, there you have the spooky stuff you wanted so much. :V

You know, all this talk about Super Sonic makes me wish about a final boss battle that can be cleared with normal Sonic, but I can also play it as Super Sonic whenever I get the 7 emmeralds.

Having said that, if Super Sonic turns out to be playable in normal levels my nerdjizz will pierce the heavens.

If super sonic is playable in the main stages, I wonder how he would use wisps.

Maybe Super Sonic could automatically get the boost that you get in two-player mode when both players use their Wisps in tandem. That'd be pretty cool, actually.

Mykonos of Sonic Retro has been great and typed out the rest of the Colors review for us as he got his issue today.

Just got the new issue of Nintendo Power. While I can't get scans I can type out what the other two pages of the review says, since I haven't seen it posted here yet. First part here is their Rank of Wisps section, and then it continues on with the Wii review, I'll also type out the DS Review done by a different reviewer named Casey Loe. Odd choice, since he usually covers RPG's.

"RANK O' THE WISPS

Which alien-fueled power-ups are the coolest? Here's out order of preference.

1. Yellow: With the yellow Wisp, Sonic can drill through the ground and speed through water like a torpedo.

2. Orange: The hedgehog transforms into a rocket when he uses the orange Wisp, blasting high into the air before slowly skydiving back down.

3. Pink: The Pink wisp is reminiscent of Samus' Spider Ball, allowing Sonic to roll along walls and ceilings.

4. Cyan: The cyan Wisp changes the Blur Blur into a laser that can bounce of surfaces and travel quickly between conduits.

5. Blue: When the blue Wisp is activated, Sonic can turn blue coins into blocks and vice versa.

6. Green: While using the Green Wisp, Sonic can hover through the air and quickly dash across lines of rings.

7. Purple: The purple Wisp turns out hero into a beserker that can chomp through anything in his path."

Now the rest of the Wii review...

"With about 40 stages in story mode alone, Sonic Colors boasts an impressive amount of content, and the power-ups lend it plenty of diversity. A handful of levels even revolve entirely around a particular Wisp, which may set off warning bells given Sonic's history, but these stages are actually fun and manage to provide a nice change of pace without seeming like a radical departure (not unlike the use of power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy). The game also keeps you on your toes by constantly introducing new platforming gimmicks and environmental hazards. Though plenty challenging, it rarely feels unfair-whoever came up with the idea for a flashing hazard signal to warn you of bottomless pits deserves a medal. All told, there are probably 20 hours of gameplay here if you elect to hunt down every token, and I likely would have done so even if they didn't unlock anything. It's a compelling enterprise in and of itself that hardcore platforming fans will appreciate. My one major complaint is that the game recycles boss battles, slapping on a new coat of paint and some slightly altered attack patterns. The encounters are otherwise entertaining, but this shortcut sticks out like a sore thumb given the level of quality everywhere else.

Sometimes quality comes from a show of restraint. After the misguided attempts of most modern Sonic titles to present a grandiose narrative, Sonic Colors wisely keeps the storytelling to a minimum. In fact, things immediately kick off with gameplay rather than some lengthy cut-scene. And what is here in terms of plot is suitably goofy and lighthearted. The basic premise is that Dr. Eggman has gathered a bunch of planets together using a ginormous tractor beam and turned them into an interstellar amusement park. Claiming to have turned over a new leaf, Sonic's archnemesis presents the park as a gift to humanity; atonement for his past transgressions. Spoiler alert: he's lying. What follows is similar in tone to a Saturday-morning cartoon, which seems the way to go for a game starring an anthropomorphic hedgehog. Some older players (like NP curmudgeon Chris Hoffman) may find the humor a bit groan-inducing at times, but all in all it's pretty harmless.

It's hard to imagine anyone complaining about the game's looks. The size and scope of its environments are absolutely awe-inspiring, and the backgrounds come alive with lots of colorful detail and a convincing sense of depth. On more than a few occasions you'll question how such spectacle is possible on the Wii hardware, especially when you factor in the consistently smooth frame rate. Better still, the art direction harks back to the fantastical approach of the Genesis games, with worlds that have you running around giant cheeseburgers and navigating a neon-lit spaceship carnival. Longtime fans will also be pleased to see many of Eggman's classic badniks return.

Equally deserving of praise is Jun Senoue's soundtrack. It's one of the veteran composer's best works; a wonderfully eclectic mix that ranges from his trademark guitar riffs to jazzy horn pieces and sweeping classical scores. The one fly in the ointment is the opening theme, but that's largely the fault of some dubious singing. Conversely, Eggman's vocal contributions are pretty entertaining. As you play through the levels, he'll routinely use the park's PA system to make such announcements as, "Would Sonic the Hedgehog please report to the security office? We found your-er...your keys! That's it....we've found your keys."

With the platforming genre in the middle of a resurgence, it is sure nice to see Sonic get back into the fray. This is the game that Sega's fleet-footed mascot has deserved for years, and I would definitely love to see a second installment. The Detroit Lions probably shouldn't book their Super Bowl flights, but hopefully you're convinced that Sonic Colors is worth your while. -STEVE T."

And now for the DS review.

"What a Rush

SONIC COLORS

RATING: 7.5

PLATFORM: NINTENDO DS

PUBLISHER: SEGA

DEVELOPER: DIMPS

ESRB: EVERYONE

Although the Sonic series has struggled in adapting to the current generation of home consoles, fans have never had a hard time finding quality Sonic action on the DS. That's all thanks to the Sonic Rush series, which has stayed faithful to the 2D, dot-pixel graphics of the franchise's classic Genesis releases while playing up its trademark high-speed gameplay. The DS version of Sonic Colors may not be an official Sonic Rush release, but it's by the same development team and it looks and feels very similar to Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure.

Like the Rush games, Sonic Colors offers a series of cleverly designed 2D stages that span both screens of the Nintendo DS, plus 3D polygonal environments that are used only for boss fights and special stylus-driven bonus stages. The twist is the addition of Wisps, friendly creatures that act as single-use power-ups. Each has been cleverly designed to offer a powerful effect-burrowing through earth, rocket-blasting into the sky, or ricocheting around walls-without slowing the game's frenetic pace. The Wisps are a truly interesting addition to the Sonic formula, a rarity in a series that has often stumbled in its attempts at innovation.

Sonic Colors may be a little too fast-paced for its own good; players can easily blast through its handful of worlds in three or four hours. There are plenty of incentives to keep playing, such as the hidden tokens in each level that can be found by taking alternate routes, and optional missions that reward players for accomplishing specific objectives (such as defeating a certain number of enemies). But without a framing device (like the one in Sonic Rush Adventure) that makes you earn access to future levels, Sonic Colors offers sharply diminishing returns after the first day o two of play. At least you'll enjoy the heck of it while it lasts. -CASEY L."

I swear, if someone posts the scans after I spent so long typing that...

Shadix, would you be able update the first post with the review scores as and when they come? I don't want to read any spoilers.

Great work Dusk! Thanks so much. It's definately encouraging to see all the positive things the reviewer had to say about the Wii version of the game.

Shame about the DS version being so short though. Pretty crazy how the Wii version is 20 hours+ yet the DS is only 3 :(

Great work Dusk! Thanks so much.

;-;

If no one gets around to the scans I actually can get them if wanted, it's just that it'd probably be a while and someone else will likely have them up before then.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like peoples predictions from that early Sonic Simulator footage was right. Those coloured sprite symbols were Chaos Emeralds :lol:

lol, I knew it. >.< I was right all along.

Now I have to get this game.

Woah woah woah, wait! Jun Senoue composed the soundtrack. Woah. He sure stepped up his game. That's not even his sound, either. Just...wow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like peoples predictions from that early Sonic Simulator footage was right. Those coloured sprite symbols were Chaos Emeralds :lol:

simulator.jpg

they have the same colors (i think) and guess what, their are 7 Stages in game world. so those could be special stages, you know game world could be the replacement of hidden palace zone, except its optional.

their is an amazing chance that super sonic would be only playable in gameworld (I hope not) since the chaos emeralds may not be real chaos emeralds, just simulation of them and that the level design of the simulation stages looks similar to the classics.

I hope he is playable in normal zones (other than simulators and final boss). or I will be really sad.

Edited by speedduelist

Audio: 9/10

"Sonic's ditched the J-rock for a full-on orchestra, with impressively catchy results"

Graphics: 9/10

"Colourful and intricate. It's almost a shame when the speed reduces them to a blur"

Gameplay: 8/10

"Reaction-testing 3D sections and classic 2D platforming. It's the best Sonic game in years"

Holy crap!! Nice to see such high scores for a 3D Sonic game :D, and yes...THE SOUNDTRACK IS LEGENDARY!!!!! :P

simulator.jpg

they have the same colors (i think) and guess what, their are 7 Stages in game world. so those could be special stages, you know game world could be the replacement of hidden palace zone, except its optional.

their is an amazing chance that super sonic would be only playable in gameworld (I hope not) since the chaos emeralds may not be real chaos emeralds, just simulation of them and that the level design of the simulation stages looks similar to the classics.

I hope he is playable in normal zones (other than simulators and final boss). or I will be really sad.

It has all the colours except for the purple emerald

it has the purple one. Then again the last One (in the simulator) isn't in Sonic 3... but that is the only one.

HMM...

could SEGA Be mistaken or its just 8 Bit colors effect on the simulator that changes their colors?

it has the purple one. Then again the last One (in the simulator) isn't in Sonic 3... but that is the only one.

HMM...

could SEGA Be mistaken or its just 8 Bit colors effect on the simulator that changes their colors?

Edited by Galaxy Man

we didn't have 2 Blue Emeralds in the classics (we only had 1), the simulator shows 2. And the purple is the 5th One counting from the left.

the Cyan one is in the simulator, in the classics it was suppose to be pink... so we will have to wait to figure things out.

7 stages in simulators that contains sprites that looks like emeralds should mean some thing...

Gah, can't read any posts. I don't want the spoilers. Is someone just able to list the scores so far?

That's all thanks to the Sonic Rush series, which has stayed faithful to the 2D, dot-pixel graphics of the franchise's classic Genesis releases while playing up its trademark high-speed gameplay.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Every time somebody says the Rush games hearken back to the Genesis originals, I want to stab them with an umbrella.

Really?

I want to stab them with an anti-tank missile

Seriously though, people should and actually replay the Classic games, its not all just running around like a crazed maniac.

I mean its like the only zones they remember are Chemical Plant, Hydrocity and Launch Base, which are only a couple examples of obligatory speed levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

Every time somebody says the Rush games hearken back to the Genesis originals, I want to stab them with an umbrella.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that critics usually seem to remember about the classics is that they were 2D. Thus Sonic Rush seems like a throwback to the Genesis games in their eyes.

Honestly, people should play games before comparing them with another.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thinks its more of a quality begets quality kind of thing. Everyone remembers the Classic series being good, and then here come Sonic Rush that is also good (which came in on a wave of a proverbial sea of crap within the franchise), so people unwittingly make the connection.

Not they are justified in doing so mind you, but Rush can make you nostalgic in the fact that you are really enjoying a Sonic game.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 3