Awoo.

Phantasy Star Online 2! Open Beta now!

Dr. SEGA Monkey

I wouldn't know about boosted Dark Falz, but Dark Falz, for some reason, keeps showing up very soon after both concerts ended. Not complaining, really, since it gives me a chance to get some EXP and some rainbow pyroxene, halfway to getting a Ruin Gloam.

I'm also trying to aim for a suitable rare sword for my lvl 38 Hunter, but somehow I keep getting everything but a better sword. A Sil Dinian, one of the Dragonkin I'm trying to farm for a Dinia Edge (I'm also killing Forodans in hopes for an Ardillo) somehow dropped a pair of boxing gloves. Seriously, not kidding.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

My goodness, that boosted Falz was intense! My comrades kept getting one shotted by him and I got smashed by his incredibly large butt followed by lazers. My body didn't deserve any of that... I am close to level 58 though thanks to him, so it's not too bad! Can't wait to fight him again in the coming days and hopefully get more than just money. QQ

Also interesting to note, a guy called ShadowDragon28 from pso-world posted some info saying that we're also getting boost days to coincide with the Bingo, Kuna concerts and Falz invasions.

These are the dates for the boost days, adjusted/converted to US Time Zone (since Japan is actually one day ahead.

Starting at 8:00 AM PST (11:00 AM EST) for 24 hrs

6/20 THURS Rare Drop chance +50%!
6/23 SUN Meseta drop rate +200%!
6/24 MON Experience Point Gain +50%!
6/27 THURS Rare Drop chance +50%!

My body can't handle all these things at the same time, and Ep2 is just around the corner. Exciting times.

Don't have much to show for my times on PSO2, buuuut my guild did team up with 2 others to perform the "Our Fighting" song with the new room instruments. o/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnJSodCWeY&list=FLhaXQAF8UwW-qZapsWWRRJQ&index=5

Edited by Coral
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My team did that too, on our own because we are jerks. :V (and yeah, we went for a "silent run" of the song, you had no idea how much it took to get that right)

Aaaanyway, I hope your hard drives are ready! Because EP2 is coming and you can start downloading it about right now, it weights... *drums roll*... 8 GB!

Here is a very bad quality video and a rundown of some of the (not previously announced) features we can expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN5kAlh7nUg

Here is the what is a Cast? A Dazzling Star Festa scratch post. Where you can get some popular revivals and some new costumes and accessories (not to mention all dem stockings).

And last but not least, some screens!

cNW5syE.png

???

vdGjPQ5.jpg

Behold my latest! ULTIMATE WEAPON!!! OOOOOHOHOHOHOOOO!!!!

C9zeS2x.jpg

Excuse me sir, would you like to work as a minion for the Eggman Empire?

8sn5UoQ.jpg

Disregard background events, Acquire dance party. o/

J0SqxiB.jpg

From the video posted above.

p05moyV.jpg

Rappy bombing Kuna's concert because she does playback.

euWJeAT.jpg

Apparently, this screen is winning me a team contest. XD (the event still last for 3 days but I read people talking like if they are already giving up DX)

QLOqbk9.jpg

Oh hai der guise!

Edited by gato

In assuming you need a pretty good computer to run this :/

Shame I was thinking about it, I really enjoyed PSO on the DC especially when I could linkup, I'll have to wait it seems :(

In assuming you need a pretty good computer to run this :/

Shame I was thinking about it, I really enjoyed PSO on the DC especially when I could linkup, I'll have to wait it seems sad.png

Only if you want it on max settings, the lowest settings make the game look like if came out of a PSP XD: 

263L2.jpg

tYP6N.jpg

Ft0SN.jpg

The requirements are pretty accessible too, my nephew can play it fine in a non-gaming laptop.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher (AMD Athlon X2 5000+ or higher)

RAM: Windows XP: 1.5GB or more, Vista/7 2 GB or more

OS: Windows XP 32bit Edition, Windows Vista/7 32bit or 64bit

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT or higher (ATI X1800/1900 or higher) 256MB

Sound Card: Yes

Free Disk Space: 8 GB +

(I believe part of these are outdated tho)

You could always play use the benchmark and character creation test file to play around and see if your PC can run it. (click on the big blue button after the TOS and pick the server you want to download it from)

How to judge the performance with the score the game gives you:

under 3,000 - System needs upgrading. Unable to average 30fps on benchmark and/or other issues.
3,000 - 4,999 - System passable for PSO2. Succeeded at running the benchmark and averaged at least 30fps.
5,000+ - System optimal for PSO2. Successfully ran benchmark and averaged 60fps or better.

I'll try it out when I can, my gf has stolen use of my laptop for about a year now, I'm lucky if I can get on!!

Problem with my laptop is, it's great and is above average in all of the categories (for a 2-3yr old machine)..except Graphics card :/

It's got built in Intel HD Graphics card. I can play Sonic Generations but laggy. Like I said a shame because everything else is over the minimum, but arguably the most important part is crap!!

PSO 2 is scales very well, because SEGA knows how the hell a MMO should be developed; unlike Square-Enix.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll try it out when I can, my gf has stolen use of my laptop for about a year now, I'm lucky if I can get on!!

Problem with my laptop is, it's great and is above average in all of the categories (for a 2-3yr old machine)..except Graphics card :/

It's got built in Intel HD Graphics card. I can play Sonic Generations but laggy. Like I said a shame because everything else is over the minimum, but arguably the most important part is crap!!

I feel that you'll be fine with that, I don't think my nephew's laptop can run Sonic generations. :P

BTW, a few days before Episode 2 launches Sakai will do another of his livestreams, this time showing the soon to come Coast field and a fight against one of the new bosses. (Val Rodos)

• 2 weeks later...

Only one week left! (think we should request a thread title change once EP2 arrives?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=XI0tNZCsrY8

Ricardo did a sleep deprived yet very complete rundown of what are we getting at Episode 2's launch here and here.

The current scratch is a bunch of revivals and it seems like Bumped won't be covering it (they don't seem to be available on the current AC list page either, I wonder if that was a one day thing?).

For scheduled Falz and the new client order campaign you can check here. (this one seems easy, granted that you have all of Hans orders unlocked :v )

Sadly, no screens today. :l

Edited by gato

My most cynical and jaded (thanks to being informed of pasts SEGA's actions regarding this franchise) self makes me want to say that it won't...

But! A few days ago SEGA announced new localisations of the game, all of them for the Asian region and all of them were announced to launch next year. Which seems like a long time but it's way more concrete than most of the info we've been having regarding this topic. (BTW, this didn't come as good news for most of the people, because the company handling some of these localisation has a less than stellar reputation)

Of course, there are still no news on the horizon about a North American/European version yet, but at the very least they are finally launching something outside of Japan, which could make some people feel a bit hopeful about it.

Having said that, it's still like... A way too large time (and probably content) gap between versions, so I'm not feeling like checking an hypothetical English version down on the road, not after a whole year (and counting) since the original version's release...

Maybe I'm wrong but I won't be holding my breath.

Edited by gato

Double post, but can someone send me a PM with instructions about how to get set up with the Japanese version (including how to go about patching the client to have translated menus if possible). Officially sick of waiting for SEGA of America, because my brother just old me about a report where SEGA West is putting next to no resources into PSO 2's Western version, and using PSP 2's sales as an excuse. Clearly, they're not really hurting for my patronage, so I give zero fucks right now. I probably will play on the Western servers if they ever exist, but I've already been waiting like more than a year.

Double post, but can someone send me a PM with instructions about how to get set up with the Japanese version (including how to go about patching the client to have translated menus if possible). Officially sick of waiting for SEGA of America, because my brother just old me about a report where SEGA West is putting next to no resources into PSO 2's Western version, and using PSP 2's sales as an excuse. Clearly, they're not really hurting for my patronage, so I give zero fucks right now. I probably will play on the Western servers if they ever exist, but I've already been waiting like more than a year.

I'm not up to date on PSO2 myself, but these are the guides I used to help me through the installation: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

That and our own gato were massively helpful in getting folks like me signed up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Truth to be told I'm kind of outdated when it comes to new installs, I've been playing this since Open Beta and using the old methods worked just fine for me (not to mention that I rarely missed an update so I never had to download more than 3 GB worth of game).

But nowadays the most popular method seems to be to use the PSO2 Tweaker by the Arks-Layer group.

This is their site.

This is their registration guide (note that using their "Chrome Extension" translates part of the process).

It's mentioned on the guide but just to be safe I'll repeat it here, do not use a Hotmail/Outlook/MSN account, for some reason SEGA fails to send the confirmation mails there so if you try to register with one all you'll get is an error page. (GMail is recommended, for reasons unknown to me)

I'll probably have to give this patch a go at some point too, since it seems to be the only way to get the story patch nowadays.

Not much on the way of screens right now, but I'm considering sending this one to a super hero contest my team is getting at some point.

145jSs0.jpg

PYa41nT.jpg

1jKrmwa.jpg

7gue1FR.jpg

Also, something random.

pdHc461.jpg

I bought a SW-Teardowner sword camo (for a little less than 2 mil, no less), along with the twin machineguns camo. So goddamn worth it, both look really cool.

I'm currently focusing on a few things - clearing out client orders, leveling up my Hunter class, matter board stuff, and figuring out what to do next to get my next sword (currently got a fully-grinded Red Sword), in a way that doesn't involve much item grinding.

Also, I got Over End. This attack has a LOT of power, but it takes a bit long for my tastes, probably because I'm used to using Sonic Arrow, which has very little windup and enables fire and forget tactics. I'm not exactly keen on attacks that leave me open.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I got myself set up. The major English speaking block is block 20 on Ship 2 (Ur), right?

Also, I really do hope SEGA stops being a tit and releases the game in the West like they said they would. Mainly due to SEGA Japan's hatred of foreign players (i.e. sometimes getting banned for being foreign).

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

You are right! Ship02: B-20 is the "English Hub". But keep in mind that since it's a conglomeration of the entire English community it's going to be quite... Colorful... (think of it like a 4Chan block (though most of /vg/ actually plays on Ship04), I don't think it's that bad but be prepared to see some unsavory things with certain frequency)

It's for this reason that, while B-20 is a sure place to find English players, most of the people who are already settled in the game (ie, got into an active team or known a bunch of people to play with) and aren't so resistant to the internet's ugly side pretty much avoid the place... It's for this reason too that B-20 seems to be a place more suited to have some fun, and the parties over there have a reputation of doing pretty bad compared to a more """serious""" group of players (which is ofc, not always the case, I've heard of B-20 groups doing some pretty good Dark Falz runs).

There is a chance that you might find some random English players speaking in some of the popular blocks (the "Very Hard" and "Advance Quest" blocks). But I still think B-20 is the best place to start as an English player.

Having said that, in case you want to do an MPA and don't mind the Japanese players you can always go to some of the designated blocks (whenever you pick a block to go there is a little blurb of text next to it detailing what the original purpose of the block is, you are more likely to find low level players in a Normal block rather than in the VH Naberius Tundra one),

BTW, you might want to keep this sites handy, they are going to be your most reliable helps while progressing through the game, any other question you feel like doing (like skills to pick, affixes for weapons or any of the more complicated stuff that starts appearing on the game after the tutorial mission) please feel free to ask it here. o/

Also, if you need my partner card for any reason I will send it to you... Then we can party PARTY PARTY!!! (sorry, kind of a running gag)

I'm currently focusing on a few things - clearing out client orders, leveling up my Hunter class, matter board stuff, and figuring out what to do next to get my next sword (currently got a fully-grinded Red Sword), in a way that doesn't involve much item grinding.

I ran out of grinders this week XD, it was the first time that it was realistically possible to get 10* to +10 so I went wild with it, so I have something good to use for the coming days. XD

I'm sooooooo going to miss this week once I can't get anything pass +8 anymore, :<

Also, I got Over End. This attack has a LOT of power, but it takes a bit long for my tastes, probably because I'm used to using Sonic Arrow, which has very little windup and enables fire and forget tactics. I'm not exactly keen on attacks that leave me open.

Over End is often a discussion point between players, the numbers are good but you stand still for so long before actually seeing the results that you can't avoid but wonder if there are better ways to deal with things than it.

And they are, most bosses will die faster with Deadly Archer (Fighter's best friend) most of the mob clearing can be done with less damaging but way more maneuverable PA's like Assault Buster (Partizan). And I think you are right, Sonic Arrow (despite not having OE's power) does a lot of things faster and better than the giant light sword (especially if you have the gear equipped).

At the end, I feel like OE is only best used as a big Mob clearer (like... a bunch of Fordorans or Gilnachs) or with immobile bosses (like Falz Arms or Vardha's core or the dragons if you manage to knock them down). 'Tho I'm far from being a competitive player so there might be some applications I'm not aware of.

Anyway, last bit of news before EP2 comes out, a little tidbit of August's update, including a thing made of meseta and Photon Chairs (now with Jumping Action!!!12!1)

Edited by gato

I met an English speaking player from Singapore last night, in Block 01. Had a great time! My character's name is Talus, he's a CAST Hunter. I believe the username I gave myself was FlamingC, but I didn't really pay much attention to remembering it since it's not the actual login ID.

Edit: So the maximum level is 60? That's different. Reminds me of what other MMOs do.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Edit: So the maximum level is 60? That's different. Reminds me of what other MMOs do.

That's why you should plan out your skills carefully, though I imagine they'll reset everyone's skill lists once Episode 2 hits, since it introduces new skills for every class. There's a guide in the PSOWorld forums, certainly came in handy for me.

Also, get the sub-class license ASAP, once you've gotten the requirements for the requisite client order. Sub-classes are very handy (especially with the right combinations, such as Hunter-Fighter, Fighter-Hunter, Ranger-Hunter, Force-Techer, etc), and Episode 2 will enable sub-classes to receive 10% EXP until they reach level 40.

Do you have to pay to reset your skill tree? Kind of figuring you do. Also, how DO you get sub classes? Is there a specific client request that unlocks them upon completion?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Do you have to pay to reset your skill tree? Kind of figuring you do. Also, how DO you get sub classes? Is there a specific client request that unlocks them upon completion?

Yes, though, as I said, I imagine they'll provide free skill tree resets to everyone whenever they introduce new skills (they've done it before, if I recall correctly), and yes, there's a specific client order that you get from Koffee once you reach level 20:

サブクラス許可申請試練 Subclass Request Trial

• Objective: Defeat 12 Garongo / 12 Fordoran / 5 Gilnas
  • Prize: Subclass Unlocked
  • Prerequisite: Level 20
Edited by Shirou Emiya

Ah, all right. I'm only level 7, so I'm a while off from that. Leveling isn't too slow at the start, but I'm guessing it's slow going as go higher. Speaking of updating, PSO 2 is down for maintenance since they're putting episode 2 up, right?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Yeah, that's pretty much what's happening right now. I'm pretty excited for the new stuff that's gonna be implemented. The Braver class could be pretty sweet, it looks like they turned Vergil from DMC into a class and gave it a bow.

Also, the Border Break limited quest is a good way to rack up EXP, from what I can tell, especially if you gang up with 11 other players in the same area, and Xie's client orders give out a lot of EXP as well, though the returns start to diminish near level 50 or higher.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Ah, all right. I'm only level 7, so I'm a while off from that. Leveling isn't too slow at the start, but I'm guessing it's slow going as go higher. Speaking of updating, PSO 2 is down for maintenance since they're putting episode 2 up, right?

As Shirou said, the BB crossover quest is pretty much the place to level up right now, also getttng to lvl 20 is quite easy nowadays (just clearing Koffee orders should get you there), then you start slowing down a lot, leveling to 30 becomes a lot harder since pretty much all the good quests out there have enemies on a higher level than you which means you get an EXP penalty (this is getting tweaked on this update tho) and those that don't have higher lvl enemies aren't so good to grind on, this is especially painful on a first time character since all the good "boss drop" orders from Franka are blocked til you clear a bunch of not so good but quite frustrating ones (40 fordoran drops, 20 kartagot drops, etc). If you don't mind leaving those for a later time and want to get to 40 ASAP I'd keep with Koffee and Xie, or try to unlock time attack orders quick and make some meseta since you can actually buy those drops from player shops. XD (unlocking all the TA orders usually required you to go to Very Hard, but I believe they changed that on this update)

Once you hit 30 things start getting easier since you have a lot of choices to lvl up and you are on par with most of the enemies on Hard Level and so you can keep going with little trouble til 50, which is when things start getting grindy unless you know where to play.

Also, you are right too on the skill tree reset thing, you usually need to pay for the passes that let you do that but SEGA has started to deliver them every time they make a significant change on the skill trees (balance fixes and such) so you could simply wait for one of these. >_>