Awoo.

Phantasy Star Online 2! Open Beta now!

Dr. SEGA Monkey

So... How's Episode 2 been doing for you?

It seems like it doesn't seems to be doing so well for SEGA, while the number of online people have pretty much skyrocketed to record breaking amounts (and I expect a very positive report regarding that) the game has been showing some unexpected issues here and there. Last week there was an issue reporting the non existence of rare mobs on the new field (I'm guessing they didn't mean bosses sine I know someone who found like 9 of them), cue a special maint to fix that...

This week, a new issue appeared and this one aiming specifically at the paying costumers, those who purchased more partner characters and wanted to use just 1 room decor to hold all of them saw themselves with data being overwritten or outright deleted (can't confirm that last one), this becomes specially annoying for those people who wanted their partners to be at their best (...) and ended up equipping 10* (or beyond) gear to them.

As for me, well, I got my braver to lvl 40 pretty quick thanks to accumulated client orders but the rest of my characters have been progressing pretty slowly. >_> I'm still not so sure what to make of the new class nor which combination I should go for (If I should ever keep it in mind),didn't go much to the new field nor looked for the new rares/PA's either (since I've been grinding the other characters on the good ol' Forest/Caves/Desert trio with a dash of BB).

So other than having some mini me's at my side this update hasn't made much difference to how I usually play. XD

Oh yeah, and I got me Huey's voice with the new scratch: HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! >8D

Have some pics of my cast playing braver:

9u7aMEZ.jpg

puwgb1F.jpg

5Vmpekf.jpg

b8UF9Km.jpg

TeqSSmd.jpg

3CCAaW2.jpg

I can see into forever...

So I just downloaded the Vita version with my PSN account. Does anyone know what a Dewman is and how it's different from your usual human? :D

Dewman's excel in attack stats, while they have lower defense. All 4 races are relatively close to one another in stats in this game, though. You can really play whatever you want unless you really care about a 3-4 point difference.

Ahh, thanks. Decided to go for a Human instead.

Oh, and I completed the MAG License quest, but I still don't have a MAG. Do I need AC to pay for the first one or

Ahh, thanks. Decided to go for a Human instead.

Oh, and I completed the MAG License quest, but I still don't have a MAG. Do I need AC to pay for the first one or

Talk to Echo, first, she'll give you your MAG.

I think I'll need to join a team at some point, anyone know any good ones?

Edit: Also, jumping up and down in front of/behind Quna's stage during her performances is silly but hilarious fun.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being so quiet lately, I've been working on stuff on another site (and I'll keep on that til next month or so).

But this needed to be posted:

Exterminatus.jpg

IT'S THE PATCHMAGEDDON!!!

There has been a FATAL bug encountered on the last update, if you, for any reason:

1) Installed PSO2 into a different directory/drive than the default one.
2) You downloaded the precede files.
3) You ran SEGA's patcher (and not AIDA's PSO2 Tweaker) and had it finish the entire update for you.

Then I have some concerning news for you, the game seems to have been removing files from people's hard drive at random (and hilariously (in the so bad that it's actually funny sense), some FFXIV files). There has been reports of registry files missing and even 80GB worth of data disappearing. (this reports come from 2ch tho')

EDIT: It's important to note that all 3 items on this list must be true in order to be a candidate to experience this problems (there has been reports of people doing fine just because they have PSO2 installed in the default directory)

Anyway, if you happen to meet one of this conditions and/or are worried about something happened to you this is what you should do:

If you believe this applies to you, please check your HDD and see if anything has been deleted. If you can't remember, download and install Recuva to a drive other than the one you installed PSO2 on, run a scan of that drive, and attempt to rescue anything from the pits. (Thanks again, Alenoir!)

On other news, since my connection has been shitty at best, I'll be taking some forced vacations from the game so I won't be able to report much of what is going on. (3 days to install the full patch if my math is correct ._.)

Edited by gato

• 4 months later...

I checked to see if this already exists and I didn't see a PSO2 topic, so I'm sorry if it already does and I just happened to miss it. This is a Sonic forum, so why not talk about some other great SEGA stuff?

phantasy-star-online-2.jpg

If you're like me and your childhood or teenage years consisted of dicking around in the lobbies and forest of the original Phantasy Star Online, whether you played it on the Dreamcast or you were around for the GameCube/Xbox ports, you will not be disappointed. PSO2 is the sequel, and although it plays very similar to PSU, I find that it's very enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the North American release has been delayed indefinitely, but you can always hit up the Japanese server just fine. Most of the English-speaking community hangs around on Ship 02 and it's actually really fun. Japanese MMO players are ridiculously polite and to be honest I might actually like playing with them a little bit better.

Anyone else here playing PSO2? If so, why not share your character info?

Name: Lou

Race: Newman

Classes:

Hunter level 32

Force level 16

Name: Jet

Race: Human

Classes:

Gunner level 10

This game is way too goddamn convoluted to sign up for, and I have no idea why my friends even bothered.

Is there seriously no western release? There's a western site for it.

I checked to see if this already exists and I didn't see a PSO2 topic, so I'm sorry if it already does and I just happened to miss it. This is a Sonic forum, so why not talk about some other great SEGA stuff?

I merged your topic with this one that already existed. No trouble at all though; it didn't come up in an initial search for me either. xP Anyhoo, on with the show!

This game is way too goddamn convoluted to sign up for, and I have no idea why my friends even bothered.

SEGA West keeps saying it's still in the plans, and rumour has it Relic has been assigned to do it.

I recently tried it out and I'm having a lot of fun.  At first it all felt very overwhelming and different to PSO1 (especially due to only key stuff being translated in the english patch), but the familiar gameplay is still there once you wrap your head around the changes.  My only major disappointments is that, while cooly-designed and fun to explore, the lobby/shopping areas aren't quite as gorgeously surreal and lack the cosy factor of the original, so far the soundtrack hasn't been as memorable (though is certainly on the money style-wise), and for all the new customisableness of characters, I hate how limited the outfit selections are (unless you pay real money of course).

I also dislike how anime everything is.  As much as I love the style, everything feels very sterile and moe in this game, all the NPCs are unfathomably pretty.  The PSO1 characters, both player and NPC alike, felt a lot more varied and stylised, despite all being grounded in anime style.

Granted, I'd be willing to pay real money for little bonuses like that if we get a western release.  I'm in a total bind at the moment coz I'm having fun and I want to keep playing but I keep telling myself I don't want to invest too much time in it to have to do it all over later in a western release bluuuh.

I just have one character, Beatroot, Level 15 Newman Hunter currently.  I'm looking forward to unlocking multi-class because I miss being a Hunter-with-a-dash-of-Force HUnewearl in PSO1.  As recommended by everywhere/everyone, I play on Ship 02.

tumblr_mzz71msFzf1qhi4j7o1_500.jpg

I accidentally made her look like Zooey Deschanel in PSO2.

Were you following this guide?  http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210236

With the exception of a single screen that doesn't seem to be mentioned in the guide where I was presented with a list of SEGA ID related games and had to choose PSO to get to the next screen that the guide described - I had no troubles (other than the captcha of course, which took 5 attempts).

After that the only hiccup was that despite using capitals in my login username, it reduced it all down to lower case and at first was not accepting it when I tried to login to the game.

I followed several guides, all of which told me the same thing.

it must have glitched up or something, because right at the end it just gave me this "thanks for signing up" screen and no option to sign up for a game.

why I have to specifically sign up for a game when I already have a goddamn account (that I can't log into for some reason by the way) is beyond me.

I merged your topic with this one that already existed. No trouble at all though; it didn't come up in an initial search for me either. xP Anyhoo, on with the show!

Thanks! Sorry about that ahaha; I'm used to forumotion's layout (this is far from my first forum sadly) and I'm having a bit of trouble navigating sometimes. This place looks great, though.

Anyways, I guess a general thing to talk about for PSO2 - the drops. It's just something I love because I always remember having to split the rares with my brother depending on what rare it was and such. It's kind of nice to have your own personal item/meseta drops.

My damn brother just got his Agito, too. His luck is ridiculous, I swear...

While the personal drops makes so much sense, I will admit I kind of liked the after-party of heading into the shops with friends and sort of spilling out our bags to see what we got and what we could give to each other when it came to stuff we couldn't use.

Actually on that note, is there any way/where you CAN drop stuff for friends?  The menu item is there but it's always greyed out for me and my friend.

Sorry for not doing anything for this thread, I've volunteered to manage my team's site and that pretty much covers much of my posting time. :x

But anyway!

Check this site, not only it has a guide but I'm pretty sure there is an extension that translates the entire registration process.

I followed several guides, all of which told me the same thing.

it must have glitched up or something, because right at the end it just gave me this "thanks for signing up" screen and no option to sign up for a game.

why I have to specifically sign up for a game when I already have a goddamn account (that I can't log into for some reason by the way) is beyond me.

I'm talking out of memory, but once you get that screen you are pretty much good to go, you just log into the game and that's it.

Did you register your SEGA ID for PSO2? That's the last step to take after the account is done.

But yeah, it's a pretty horrid process the first time (and the least we talk about purchasing Arks Cash the better)

Also, gonna try to tackle some of the things Jez posted, sorry in advance for quote-dissection.

I recently tried it out and I'm having a lot of fun.  At first it all felt very overwhelming and different to PSO1 (especially due to only key stuff being translated in the english patch),

There is an item translation patch, but it's a DLL file so there might be some risks in using it, I manage just fine with instinct and Cirnopedia (which will be one of your best friends in this game)

but the familiar gameplay is still there once you wrap your head around the changes.  My only major disappointments is that, while cooly-designed and fun to explore, the lobby/shopping areas aren't quite as gorgeously surreal and lack the cosy factor of the original

You are definitively not alone, most people actually agree with you in this but it seems SEGA just can't fix this for some weird reason.

so far the soundtrack hasn't been as memorable (though is certainly on the money style-wise)

I've grown to love some of the tracks (funny, it happened by listening to them outside of the game), I especially love Vol Dragon's theme (though I seem to be an oddity here).

Nowadays everyone is raging about the Mining Defense BGM, especially the last wave's track

and for all the new customisableness of characters, I hate how limited the outfit selections are (unless you pay real money of course).

There is a way around that! Player shops let you purchase pretty much everything granted that you have the amount of meseta a player asks. Sadly, you picked a "fleshie" female character, who have the most expensive costumes, the popular ones going up to 10 millions at times (males can get every costume they need for 200k at most unless it's a very rare item like the anniversary T-Shirts).

Granted, I'd be willing to pay real money for little bonuses like that if we get a western release.  I'm in a total bind at the moment coz I'm having fun and I want to keep playing but I keep telling myself I don't want to invest too much time in it to have to do it all over later in a western release bluuuh.

I just have one character, Beatroot, Level 15 Newman Hunter currently.  I'm looking forward to unlocking multi-class because I miss being a Hunter-with-a-dash-of-Force HUnewearl in PSO1.  As recommended by everywhere/everyone, I play on Ship 02.

Just a word of advise, if you ever plan to get invested into the game (as in, try to go for an efficient build) that combo won't work. But I don't think you'll tell the difference til you reach Very Hard mode (around lvl 40).

Oh yeah, and item grinding is annoying as hell (yet not as bad as it was in PSU). You'll learn to hate Dudu and Monica as the game goes. :V

While the personal drops makes so much sense, I will admit I kind of liked the after-party of heading into the shops with friends and sort of spilling out our bags to see what we got and what we could give to each other when it came to stuff we couldn't use.

Actually on that note, is there any way/where you CAN drop stuff for friends? The menu item is there but it's always greyed out for me and my friend.

Sadly, only regular items (like Moon Atomizers and Monomates) can be dropped IIRC, everything else can only be traded, given away as a present or sold (which requires Arks Cash).

Oh, thanks for all the tips!  I have a small question actually if you don't mind explaining some more to me:

udbb.jpg

What does it mean when this little display (coupled with intimidating noises) appears at the top of the screen?  Haven't noticed any pattern between when it appears.

Oh, also my current Matter Board pointer seems to be directing me towards the elevator in the Shopping Area that you use to change blocks or go to your room.  Tried going to my room and there's nothing there so... what does it want me to do.  D=  (For the record I've been progressing with my Matter Board just fine, it's currently asking me to get drops from specific enemies etc, but still it points me to the elevator).

And finally, do you know what this item does?  Can't find anything about it on Cirnopedia (and, obviously, the Item Patch isn't translating it):

ee5k.jpg

*píc*

What does it mean when this little display (coupled with intimidating noises) appears at the top of the screen?  Haven't noticed any pattern between when it appears.

Don't pay too much attention to it, it's a graphical representation of a PSE (Photon Sensitive Effect) going on the map.

If you see that rainbow colored thing next to the minimap, that means there is a PSE going on (there is one mosr of the time, even when you are playing alone), PSEs vary from map to map and can give you things like a damage boost for certain element or an EXP gain bonus or an increase in the chance of boosted enemies to appear, nothing major tho. There is not a lot of info about what triggers a PSE nor how to raise a specific PSE level, as far as we know they just happen randomly.

PSEs are also mostly known for their bursts, if one of the PSEs in the area reaches lvl9 it will burst and that will bring a whole party (if you are lucky, a full MPA that stuck together) because mosnters will start spawning on the zone and won't stop spawning during the duration of the burst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cw-lXRyhxQ

Oh, also my current Matter Board pointer seems to be directing me towards the elevator in the Shopping Area that you use to change blocks or go to your room.  Tried going to my room and there's nothing there so... what does it want me to do.  D=  (For the record I've been progressing with my Matter Board just fine, it's currently asking me to get drops from specific enemies etc, but still it points me to the elevator).

That's not the matter board pointer, that's the ARKS road (something like a tutorial) pointer, and TBH most of the time I have no idea what it's trying to tell me, just check in what part of the road you are in and then go to Cirnopedia and check what to do.

And finally, do you know what this item does?  Can't find anything about it on Cirnopedia (and, obviously, the Item Patch isn't translating it):

ee5k.jpg

That's a "set" and you get them on FUN scratches, you open the box and it turns into some (usually 2 or 3) "accessories/body paints/something of the like" for you to use in the aesthetic counter.

And yeah, Cirno is the best English source out there but it's not complete, it might miss some little details like this (and the fact that the quest list only goes to Quarry, so it doesn't include the Seabed ones) or take 2 or 3 days to catch up with each patch. If you want a fully updated info source you'll have to go looking around a Japanese wiki. (but I don't consider it necessary most of the time)

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a load!  I did get a PSE Burst just once (now impatiently waiting for another to happen since I got a Client Order to witness one since lol).

I now know it is safe to Use that box too haha.  Thanks for the tips on clothes too, I checked out some player shops and am now saving my pennies for a lovely Tiger Pierce Snow that feels much more in line with my PSO1 look.  'u'

We are looking for more new members to join our guild family and just enjoy themselves. We have 100 forum users and 67 online users in game. We would love to have anyone that would like a fun team to run missions with or just ramble with about life or food......typically the latter.

Our forum: Which is mostly for us to find a time to find you in game to add you

http://www.teamkid.enjin.com/

• 1 month later...

Knew about this for awhile but I didn't bother posting it because reasons. I would just want the new attacks, that's it.

Here is a low quality Youtube of the collab:

Knew about this for awhile but I didn't bother posting it because reasons. I would just want the new attacks, that's it.

You mean "attacks" as in a term of the anime I don't know about? Or as in the weapons/costumes/PAs? Because the PAs have been for a while.

Speaking of new attacks, I really want to get Ill Foie, the NPCs using it are freaking crazy! X_X It's like mission command said "fuck this!" and decided to push the EXTERMINATUS button. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://kotaku.com/segas-long-silence-on-missing-game-disrespects-their-b-1555363407

In July of 2012, Sega announced plans to bring the popular multiplayer RPG Phantasy Star Online 2 to the west in "early 2013." But that still hasn't happened, much to fans' consternation—and Sega won't explain a thing.

In the world of gaming, it's common to see big companies staying quiet about their products until the marketing schedule dictates that it's OK to talk, but it's not often we see a company announce something, promote it, and then never talk about it again.