Awoo.

goku262002

It's supposed to be at Comic Con on friday. We'll probably find out then.

Edited by Wraith

Watched the whole of Book 1 yesterday for the third time)). Yes, still outstanding. Can't wait for Book 2. They sure are taking their time(.

Expect footage to crop up Friday.

How about we have info on the plot as well. Silly Joshua, thinking footage was the only thing happening here.

BIG SPOILER

Fans of The Walking Dead and Legend of Korra rejoice: Steven Yeun, known to fans of the AMC horror show as Glenn, will be joining the voice cast of the Nickelodeon animated series for a guest role as Wan, the very first Avatar in existence. Yeun’s character will appear in two episodes titled “Beginnings 1 & 2″ during the second season — aka Book 2: Spirits — debuting later this year.

The sequel to the beloved Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra debuted last April to 4.5 million viewers, and quickly became the highest-rated show on Nickelodeon. Both series are set in a fictional world where people called “benders” have special abilities that allow them to control one of the four elements (water, earth, air, and fire), but only one person — the Avatar — can control all four and bring balance to the world.

Wan’s story will take place 10,000 years before Korra’s time, and follow the teenage explorer and skilled bender as he tries to bring balance between mankind and the spirits, a quest that ultimately leads to becoming the first Avatar.

Legend of Korra co-creator and executive producer Bryan Konietzko told Wired that they cast Yeun in part because of the versatility of his voice acting, and how it aligns with the narrative journey of Wan throughout those two episodes.

“Steve’s vocal quality and acting can range from an innocent, naïve young man, to a trickster anti-hero, and all the way to a full-fledged action hero,” said Konietzko. ”And in each take, he made Wan really human and relatable, despite the mythic setting of his tale.”

While Avatar: The Last Airbender established a long tradition of Avatars that stretched indefinitely into history, this will be our first look at the first person to take on (or create) the mantle of the Avatar, a reincarnated role that passes to one person in each generation to serve as the human incarnation of the planet.

These episodes will also mark a significant stylistic departure from the usual aesthetics of Legend of Korra. ”To depict the world in Wan’s time, the creative team drew inspiration from ancient and traditional East Asian ink wash paintings and woodblock prints for the environments, color palettes, and stylizations of the elements,” said a Nickelodeon representative. “The results expand the vision of the Avatar world, but also stay very true to the building blocks of its visual influence.”

More details will be announced at the Legend of Korra panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego, which is slated for 11:15 a.m. Friday morning in Ballroom 20. Check out the WIRED liveblog for up-to-the-minute details on the event, which opened today to the general public.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/walking-dead-legend-korra-steven-yeun/

Ladies and gents, Avatar Wan:

LegendofKorra_Wan_SteveYeun-660x371.jpg

Guess that's the "big flashback" mentioned earlier.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 2

So we will finally learn the origins of the Avatar? This is interesting indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel bad for not watching the series outside the first two episodes. I really haven't turned on my TV in so long that I rely on streaming (netflix) for my TV goodness.

Oh yeah, they're really fleshing things out now.

How about we have info on the plot as well. Silly Joshua, thinking footage was the only thing happening here.

BIG SPOILER

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/walking-dead-legend-korra-steven-yeun/

Ladies and gents, Avatar Wan:

LegendofKorra_Wan_SteveYeun-660x371.jpg

Guess that's the "big flashback" mentioned earlier.

Wow, we're really gonna get some nice world building stuff... Plus I really like Steven Yeun on The Walking Dead, so I'm really looking forward to this!

I really can't wait for those three "flashback" episodes. I've wondered for so damn long about the origin of the Avatar. It's also interesting that they're doing a slightly different animation style for those ones. 

And that trailer. I feel like Book 2 is going to have a much different feel than Book 1. I'm really excited. Ahhh September can't come soon enough. 

Edited by Sapphire

Was that Wan Shi Tong, the owl spirit I saw? Oh, this'll be both interesting and awkward for Korra considering that he may still hold a grudge for what the Gaang did.

Edited by DarkLight

I saw the spirit of avatar kyoshi. So does that mean we'll see more of Aang in spirit form, and by extension the original Gaang? If so, that would be amazing.

And call me crazy, but I want to see Zuko this season since he and Katara are the only surviving members of the original Gaang.

Edited by Johnny Boy

*Sees trailer*

it-s-beautiful-meme-generator-it-is-beau

Words can not describe what I just saw. I know for sure, this....this is going to win an oscar or something. That trailer alone gained all of my interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that trailer looks amazing; looks a hell of a lot better than Book 1. 

The trailer set the theme perfectly; a very Studio Gibibly like experience mixed with the best elements of the original series along with more variation with environments and characters.  This trailer alone brought back the excitement I had initially when this new series was announced and I cant wait to see what the writers have in store next for the series; despite the flaws Book 1 had, it had some very dark moments like Amons death, so that stuff mixed with sprits could introduce some horror elements into the series. 

Edited by RK64

Animation looks great as expected, but I'm still not hyped after the utter mediocrity that was Book 1.

If it makes you guys feel any better, a bunch of the writers from the original series are being brought back to work on this season.

So yeah. Get hype.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 3 weeks later...