Awoo.

goku262002

After watching the Season Premiere, here are my impressions:

Jinora......Like the guy above me said, she is the character to look out for. I honestly think and hope she becomes the next MAJOR airbender Korra needs on her adventure, over the next few years. I mean, after her final scenes. She's def going to be a fan favorite by the end of the season.

Aang's family..... Kya, Tenzin and Bumi. Gosh I love their childish bickering. One of the highlights of the season so far. And hopefully that's the comic relief. Sucks that Korra pushed Tenzin away. I actually enjoyed him being around, guiding her and what not. Bumi. Man this guy is the new Sokka. Nuff said. Bolin has nothing on him right now.

Korra and Team Avatar......I really hate how the main 3 aren't really into the Pro Bending. But it's nice to see them maturing. MaKorra is going to get annoying very fast. And I still don't like his character. It's cool that they toned him down since last season but time will tell. If he turns into a likable character or remains hated throughout the fandom. Sucks that Asami had the least amount of screen time. But it's cool that she took over her dad's company and is trying to go big with it. I was really hoping for Bolin+Asami. It's just there. Why wont the other say something. Oh well. Bolin and this random girl (don't remember her name). While it adds some comic relief here and there, I'm not a fan of it. They freak me the hell out. And this says alot considering what the shit you see in Attack On Titan. As for Korra. Bratty? Yes. Abandoning tenzin? Bad decision. Joining with her uncle, while temporarily is a good idea, it will eventually be bad. It's obvious. Like we already know who the main villain is. And it's only the 2nd episode of a what? 12-14 episode season. Not really sure I like the pacing but hopefully it will work out better than last season. 

Side characters and Korra's family........Meelo. He's fucking meelo. Him being on screen is a plus by default. Korra's dad and Uncle (I'm terrible with names) still a very mixed reaction. Now that we know generally what this season is about. Korra+Uncle+Spirits......where to go now? I like that uncle (nickname FYI) can calm/control/stop the raging spirits. But it's so obvious that there is a deeper connection here. How can he do it where Tenzin, mister spirit master himself can't? Why did the spirits attack the Avatar? And this whole portal into the the spirit world, what is up with that? Aang had to meditate to get there. This is confusing. And then that final scene. That alone raises more questions.

And finally......

WHERE THE HELL IS GENERAL IROH?

That is the one character I had hoped would return for season two right off the back! If he does not appear later in the season, I can smell rage throughout the fandom. He showed up for roughly 2 episodes and was instantly a fan favorite. Not because of his VA, but because he was just that badass. He accomplished more in his 2 episodes that Mako did in the entire season. I support Iroh+Korra!!!!

As for the rest. The animation is top notch. Not really sure what is best at the moment. LoK or Attack On Titan. The soundtrack was nice. And the return of the announcer is cool. Not really sure why he is needed now but okay. As for the actual episodes. I enjoyed them. I see a ton of potential in this season over the last. Jinora and the 1st avatar is going to be BIG. I can smell it.

Edited by Eternal EX
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dunno if it's just me, but for some reason, I got major Tarrlok vibes from Korra's uncle. As soon as he propped tension between not only Korra and Tenzin, but to her dad as well, it spelled out "Yep, just as planned. I'm just here to stir up shit so everything and everyone will go my way" kind of like how Tarrlok operated. But what obviously keeps him from being Tarrlok 2.0 is that he is a Well-Intentioned Extremist with his whole 'making things the way they were before' ideal. And judging from the ending, there's going be some radical and possibly enforced changes to the Southern Water Tribe that he undoubtedly planned from the get-go. 

While it's clearly too early to tell if he'll be the main antagonist or a sub one like Tarrlok or be one at all for that matter, it's pretty clear there's more to him we don't know about yet as well as the fact that things go bad the minute he arrived.

K, so I've caught up after DVRing the encore episode.

So here were my thoughts. First things first, it was grey as hell and a bit of a mess to work out until the end.

In the beginning, things were a bit silly and upbeat as far as Mako and Bolin were concerned. I'll give Mako some cool points for how he took down the thugs, but aside from that I was still bitter at their rushed relationship. And for Bolin? Man I just felt sorry for the guy and how his team lost so early...but I saw that coming months ago anyway. Still, kinda hurts to see, and that goes doubly so for Asami's business.

As far as the characters went, Korra came off as rather unlikable to me, a stanch contrast to how I originally felt about her  as she kept blowing off towards other characters. The attitude she displayed made me forget my dislike of Mako and made me feel a bit sorry for him as they tried to work things out when she had attitude problems. But then it came back around as we get an explanation for what's been going on, and at that point Korra was somewhat justified in her attitude towards her father. I couldn't easily say the same for Tenzin, but given that he was also a bit at fault for keeping Korra locked down when she began training he deserved some criticism from Korra as well. I still felt as tho how she dismissed him was incredibly harsh, but when Unalaq explained everything about the spirits and their anger and how they've never been quelled as a result of Korra being walled off, it was difficult to say it wasn't entirely undeserved.

As for the other characters, Bumi was quite the goofball I expected him to be. And Kya...this woman is how old?! I swear, she looks like she's still in her prime for being the oldest, which is saying a lot when her youngest brother is 51 years old. Really starting to like them.

Now, as far as MaKorra goes, I'm not seeing it break up anytime soon, as much as I want them to. But at this point, I've rolled with it...somehow...I'm still figuring out how I fully came to terms with it. As someone who hates their relationship, it looks like it's developed some chemistry that it should've developed in the first season, so that's probably helped me warm up to it. I might dare say I even look more forward to it.

As for the Twins...I can see why people would love them. Eska especially, after she gave Bolin a mathematician's answer to his question "As a boy friend or slave?" laugh.png

Also, their waterbending caught me off guard. Not that I didn't expect them to waterbend, but the way they did it...and how Eska used it on Bolin. Speaking of which, Ginger, that woman he drooled over when he and Asami went to see Varrick was teasing some radars. laugh.png (also, redhair? That's rare) And speaking of Varrick, I love how he showed such amazing advances in technology in the setting, such as motion pictures, and then bats it off as unimportant. This'll be interesting how he cooperates with Future Industries.

Finally, there's that ending, which I will put in spoiler tags:

We can make some pretty strong, if not obvious guesses that this is leading into a military takeover of the South by the Northern Tribe. Now how it helps or worsen's things from there is anyone's guess, and it's hard to figure how that will work out at this point. The creators could be especially trollish over how to do this, but if I were to assume something, Unalaq would be the antagonist of this season in the Well-Intentioned Extremist variety that Tarlokk wished he could be in the first season.

Might be an effective one too. Tho after Amon set the bar, it'll be interesting to see how Unalaq will raise it if he likely is the antagonist.

Looking forward to the next episode.

EDIT:

Also, given that we're going to see the first Avatar, Wan, am I the only person who sees a connection with his name and a certain owl spirit from the last series? I'm betting Wan Shi Tong will appear in this series as well.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Korra was really annoying in the episodes. Such an insufferable brat, that she made even Blandy McMako seem more likeable. Bolin is trapped into merely being comic relief it seems, At least he does that decently. It would've been nice if he had at least been able to hold his own for more than less of a second against some newcomers. Asami, after discovering she has become useless after losing her girlfriend status and Mako getting a motorcycle, she gets a plane and appears in a whopping 2 minutes. Unalaq is so obviously a bad guy. Korra following him was pretty funny. Did she not learn anything from Tarrlok?

That said, I did enjoy the episodes. I liked the twins. Eska's "I will protect you, my feeble turtle´-duck" was my favorite line. Hopefully Korra becomes not so insufferable soon. Actually, they need to work on all the teen characters. Aang's family was enjoyable and I'm interested in seeing with what happens with Jinora.

Edit: Just remembered, I really liked that it was mentioned how Korra air bends wrong.

WHERE THE HELL IS GENERAL IROH?

That is the one character I had hoped would return for season two right off the back! If he does not appear later in the season, I can smell rage throughout the fandom. He showed up for roughly 2 episodes and was instantly a fan favorite. Not because of his VA, but because he was just that badass. He accomplished more in his 2 episodes that Mako did in the entire season. I support Iroh+Korra!!!!

As for the rest. The animation is top notch. Not really sure what is best at the moment. LoK or Attack On Titan. The soundtrack was nice. And the return of the announcer is cool. Not really sure why he is needed now but okay. As for the actual episodes. I enjoyed them. I see a ton of potential in this season over the last. Jinora and the 1st avatar is going to be BIG. I can smell it.

After hearing his awful voice, I'd rather he not appear again. Unless of course, he's hit puberty since he left.

Edited by MarcelloF

-Oh god, the way the twins laugh.laugh.png

-Mako telling Bolin how to break up with a woman. Swell...

-Crap, Iki's missing? Did she somehow get into the Spirit World?

-What Katara said about siblings last episode really seems to ring true regarding Tenzin, Kya and Bumi right now.

-Korra's dad has been redeemed a bit. He may not like what his brother is doing, but would never harm his brother because of it.

-Yep. Korra's uncle is a douche because of that ending.rolleyes.gif

Edited by DarkLight

I didn't expect Aang to be a shit dad, but if you think about it, it makes sense.

Aang never had a father of his own. The closest he had was Monk Gyatso. Add to the fact that he was dedicated to making sure the Airbending culture didn't die out and...yeah, you'll end up with some neglected kids when compared to Tenzin. 

Why do people hate Mako? I didn't really watch much of season 1(life) but what is it about him that people can't stand

well that was boring

twins are still ace

every moment spent on Aang's kids is brilliant and I want more of them

but mako is so far a worthless character, bolin is worthless beyond comic relief, korra is an annoying brat, uncle's pretty generically evil etc.

it's kinda like yeaaaah...... stuff's happening.......... but you haven't convinced me to care about any of it yet

all that keeps me interested is aang's family and waiting to see avatar glenn, wan shi tong, koh, and zuko but we'll never see zuko

• Thumbs Up 1

I've gotta say. I never expected this from the Water Tribe. That's some massive drama they've got right there. A tribe on the brink of civil war? Yeaah you don't see that everyday. As for Tenzin and family, I love it. Maybe it's just me but does Bumi kinda sound like Adam west in today's episode? I doubt he's the VA but could you imagine that? Genuis. Anyways Kya, Bumi and Tenzin were really the highlight of the episode. Korra's side was not bad, don't get me wrong. But I just love the family bickering. Actually I love how the creators are handling the 2 stories. While Korra is the main story and where you spend majority of the episode, you never miss a moment in Tenzin's life.

Is there a father in this series that isn't abusive, neglectful, or lying to their children?

Uh...Hakoda or Monk Gyatso? I know the latter TECHNICALLY isn't a father, but he is a father figure. Oh, and the original Iroh, if his relationship to Lu-Ten is any indicator.

Edited by 743 ED Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uh...Hakoda or Monk Gyatso? I know the latter TECHNICALLY isn't a father, but he is a father figure. Oh, and the original Iroh, if his relationship to Lu-Ten is any indicator.

Didn't Monk Gyasto try to keep Aang from knowing he was the avatar so then he would still fall into that category.

Didn't Monk Gyasto try to keep Aang from knowing he was the avatar so then he would still fall into that category.

No he was trying to help Aang live a normal life despite everyone else trying to isolate  him from the world and become the Avatar. Everyone else pretty much saw him as a weapon rather than a person.

Yeah, Monk Gyatso was actually an okay father figure, aside from the prankster nature Aang picked up from him. It's just that he obviously wasn't around long enough to leave an lasting impression on being a good paternal figure after Aang ran away. 

So regarding 'Unalaq being a douche' like I said on the last page, I do think he has a reason for arresting them and putting them on trial and not be some "So he is a bad guy!" Ever since he arrived, Korra's dad has been visibly unenthused with his presence and what he wishes to accomplish. Even though we know Korra's dad would never harm his brother in any way despite their differences, I don't think that should leave Unalaq to doubt that he would still be part of the rebellion and scheme to begin with and isn't aware that he chose not to be a part of the scheme.  

Edited by DarkLight

Is there a father in this series that isn't abusive, neglectful, or lying to their children?
What about Sakka and katara's dad?

Yeah, there was a reason why Katara was so pissed at him initially because he left her and Sokka for the war when they were still trying to fill in the void of losing their mom.

Though it's more of just being unintentionally neglectful.

Edited by DarkLight

Episode 3 was better than the first two. Korra wasn't really annoying either! Aang not being a really good dad surprised me.

And the north water tribe soldiers are kind of bitches, huh? Attacking kids because they threw snowballs at them? Haha

I am starting to dislike Korra. I mean how is she siding with the invaders who use the pretense that it is for their own good? Seriously, I get that daddy lied about shit that really was none of your business to begin with and was just so selfish to actually want to have his daughter around instead of having you whisked across the continent for years at a time, but siding with theocratic imperialists who want to have their own Inquisition?  And honestly, why are we siding with the Spirits anyways? They rage like hell instead of dealing with shit in a civilized matter and people are expected to just comply with their demands. If anything, they should war against the spirits because fuck the spirits. The spirits ought to be taught a lesson. As Avatar who is supposed to be the link to the spirit world and human world, maybe Korra should take a trip over to the world of the perversely fucked up and see what is up instead of taking some priest's word for it.

And fuck Mako. Who the hell compares breaking up with someone as ripping off a leech? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow this episode showed me more and more about how Korra is Aang's polar opposite because Korra wanted nothing more than to be the Avatar growing up while Aang originally wanted nothing to do with being the Avatar and just live a normal life.

And it was a real shocker to find out Aang neglected his other two children.