Awoo.

goku262002

Fuck those people, giving credit where credit is due, Amon's death was handled extremely well.

Man, some people can't just sit back and just enjoy the ride.

lol Amon was pretty obviously using some magic mumbo jumbo to take away bending, I can't imagine how anyone expected him to genuinely not have any sort of bending ability

I don't really like how his backstory was presented myself. I loved the idea but to throw it into a quick cutscene with absolutely next to no hints at it beforehand felt a bit tacky. I thought bloodbending was a reasonable guess for Amon did his tricks so that was a connection, but it wasn't really all that strong

Still, complaining about him being a hypocrite is like... how painfully oblivious have you been for the past three months?

In all honesty, I think I could have handled the Amon reveal better if it wasn't a one hour finale. I feel these two episodes would have been better separate.

When you take everything into perspective, it feels like Amon's origins were being alluded to.

Take the periodical flashbacks Korra had concerning Aang and Yakone. Why would the writers be so concerned with implementing these flashbacks if the purpose of them as mentioned in the story - to help Korra identify Tarrlok's abilities and objectives - if Tarrlok was going to be taken out minutes later? Because Aang was actually warning Korra that Amon and Yakone were related in some way.

Tarrlok's expression after being stripped of his bending by Amon didn't look defeated or weak like everyone else who was de-bent. Rather, he looked shocked and contemplative. Why? Because he recognized the technique from before, and was just then putting the pieces together.

It's awesome in hindsight.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't say his backstory came completely out of nowhere considering a friend and I actually predicted that he was Yakone's other son the moment he resisted Tarlock's bloodbending. I didn't figure he would be Yakone's favorite (I thought he'd have been shafted into Tarlock's shadow and grow to hate benders as a result), but I thought the hints were just strong enough to tie a general connection between him and his family before the actual reveal.

Yeah, it was rushed, but I don't really mind the pacing all that much. It only slightly lowered my enjoyment of the show. I honestly took more issue with the forced romance than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well yeah there's that and the fact that Amon resisted the bloodbending and it's pretty cool in hindsight but that's the problem. There were hints but there was pretty much no reason to assume what they hinted at.

edit:

words Dissident wrote

oh well uhhhh maybe I'm just stupid I guess cause yeah that sort of like makes sense and stuff

Edited by Noir
  • Thumbs Up 1

Edit: Here was a shitty, bad argued opinion. It sucked hard and that's why I removed it. D:

So I recently saw this on DeviantArt:

I find it hilarious that the added depth to Amon's character somehow went way over some people's heads and they're actually complaining about it. No, really. People are mad because Amon lied, and are saying he was just a generic, hypocritical, power-hungry bastard. That... wow. I'm not even going to address how downright idiotic that logic is.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

To be fair, it was technically revealed in the second to last episode instead of the last one so......

To be fair, it was technically revealed in the second to last episode instead of the last one so......

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'm guessing that the extra disappointment was that people sympathized with Amon cause while realizing he had to be stopped.

• Thumbs Up 2

Like I said, I didn't think him being hypocritical was a bad thing. And I never thought of them as unsympathetic in a way.

Okay, I sort of found it odd for Tarlokk at least, but the background - as last minute as it was - shed some light on it all. My one complaint was how there wasn't much to piece together the two as being related like that. Had that been better handled there wouldn't be much of a problem. Although calling him generic is a lazy way of criticizing him considering what he's managed to pull off, given how rushed things were I can kinda see somewhat where they're coming from despite my opinion on it.

That really doesn't excuse how it was executed.

It's like having Zuko join the Gaang at the second to last episode to help stop the Fire Nation, that wouldn't work so well had they not put more work into him establishing trust with the Gaang after all he's done to them and he instead chose to show where his father was at the last second at a crucial moment, like say the Day of Black Sun. There was a lot of build up to it, and we were shown how it affected everyone he came in contact with after he turned his back on the Fire Nation ruled by his father.

Heck, even when he revealed crucial information in Sozen's Comet, it had the benefit of being done on a 4-part episode so it wasn't as much of a last second reveal.

But even the original series had it's Dues Ex Machina, it just goes to show that as good as the writing can be in a series, if it's rushed it's going to fall apart no matter what.

But even the original series had it's Dues Ex Machina, it just goes to show that as good as the writing can be in a series, if it's rushed it's going to fall apart no matter what.

True, but the original series didn't exactly rush much of it's other elements. Really, that's pretty much the only visible fault of the original serious you can pull up and why it doesn't get as much criticism outside of that, where as this one fumbled on more than a few which you can call out.

Ya know, I just thought of something: Korra has now mastered all four elements, in addition to having the Avatar state and the ability to remove bending.....yeah, how the fuck are they going to come up with a believable threat for her in Season 2, especially considering how power Aang was in the original series after achieving such power.

Did they say when Season 2 was starting? I heard sometime in the fall or winter but id like to be sure.

Threats don't have to be measured in sheer power.

Remember that the schism between non-benders and benders is still quite large. It's the job of the avatar to bring peace to the world when there is strife, and Amon was successful in fanning the flames of strife despite his death. If Korra decides to approach the next threat Kung Fu style it'll just widen the schism further. She'll need to approach lessening hardships peacefully, which would require a more spiritual and worldly approach than what is expected of the avatar at the moment.

Threats don't have to be measured in sheer power.

Remember that the schism between non-benders and benders is still quite large. It's the job of the avatar to bring peace to the world when there is strife, and Amon was successful in fanning the flames of strife despite his death. If Korra decides to approach the next threat Kung Fu style it'll just widen the schism further. She'll need to approach lessening hardships peacefully, which would require a more spiritual and worldly approach than what is expected of the avatar at the moment.

Ok while that is true, the series is primarily Action-Adventure, so........unless there is a significant drop in action in Season 2....yeah.

Watched the finale yesterday. It was disappointing.

It was great until Korra air bended. I don't understand how that should've been possible. She got her bending taken away, but she could still airbend, because she couldn't before? Huh?

But, the ending.. WOW, that was horrible. Mako has become so unlikeable throughout the series, but this took the crown. I didn't like Asami, before as she was boring and in the last few episodes her sole purpose was to shoot angry looks around. The finale redeemed her with her fight against her dad, though. I don't care about shipping, but I don't want Mako to be with anybody. I think both Korra and Asami work better without him.

Then the asspull of Aang appearing and giving Korra her bending back, because out of nowhere she has control over the spiritual side of things and can even go into Avatar mode at will. I'd rather have had Katara. give her her bending back by reversing it with her own blood bending. Or negate the effects by going into avatar mode while she was in danger of being killed by Amon. We saw that it does that with Aang vs. Yakone. If they really wanted it to go down like this, I wish they would've went back and changed this so it could be done in season 2, even if it was only a few episodes.

I dunno, maybe the Avatar writers are just bad at endings? I thought the original series ended awkwardly, but better than this and it's at least getting closure with "The Promise" now, but it was still disappointing.

Also, Iroh's voice sucked. Every time he talked I had to laugh. I really couldn't take this guy seriously.

Other than that I liked it. I thought Amon and Tarlokks deaths were great. Iroh did some cool stuff.

Edited by MarcelloF

Also, Iroh's voice sucked. Every time he talked I had to laugh. I really couldn't take this guy seriously.

Yeah to be honest, his voice did not match the character at all. Iroh looked to be in his 20s at the least and he had teenage zuko's voice. would've been nice if the VA at least switched it up and at least used an older version of zuko's voice.

Ya know, I just thought of something: Korra has now mastered all four elements, in addition to having the Avatar state and the ability to remove bending.....yeah, how the fuck are they going to come up with a believable threat for her in Season 2, especially considering how power Aang was in the original series after achieving such power.

Who says shes mastered airbending?! sure she may know how to use it now but thats still far off from mastering. we still got the airbending training part of the show to go on.

But the question does remain, what threat is next?!

Edited by goku262002

I only half noticed it while watching, and didn't actually register it, but Korra used air bending like fire bending.

And at the end she earth bends a glacier.

Edited by MarcelloF

It was great until Korra air bended. I don't understand how that should've been possible. She got her bending taken away, but she could still airbend, because she couldn't before? Huh?

Amon can't take someone ability to bend if they've never had it until after he bloodbends them. I thought that was really neat, actually.

• Thumbs Up 2