Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I love that Naugus was able to crystallize a giant Metal Sonic, save a city, and get crowned king only to get taken down by a bird.

Babylon Rising wasn't my all-time favorite arc, but I liked most of it. Liked seeing the history between the Rogues and BBA. Oh yeah, and the Great Battle Kukku blows up the top of a mountain with his fist. Love that guy, pity he's just a sub boss now.

I do wonder if the Rogues would get a starring role again since, like I said, they had their major stories already. Might just play a role like TTT if they appear in another arc.

• Thumbs Up 5

23 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Well I don't think anything happened between them during Heroes because he was busy impersonating Eggman and showing up everywhere the heroes went. And after, she'd be shit outta luck because Eggman removed Metal Sonic's free will.

If only Sega wasn't so strict about Metal, then maybe we could see more with Breezie and Metal.

There's no reason from the SEGA Mandates we know why you could'nt have more stories done with Breezie and Metal, unless you'd specifically want to go for the stories that make Metal, well, not Metal. Such as romantic stories and the like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of hoping Breezie turns out to be a robot (AFAIK it was still left up in the air, though unfortunately I doubt that it's the case) that decided to leave Eggman to do her own thing like in the show. Might make for an interesting contrast with Metal Sonic -- "robot goes independent, then becomes a successful media mogul" vs. "robot goes independent, then gets free will removed." 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, I'd like to see Metal and Breezie interact again soon, not just because I jokingly call them my OTP. I'd like to see Breezie react to Metal no longer having the independent streak she so admired.

But I doubt it would ever work out between these two. Even overlooking the "No game character can get into a relationship" mandate, these two are practically on opposite sides now. Any attempt at romance would come down to "Which one will backstab the other first, of their own free will or otherwise?"

Oh, Idk. Knuckles and Rouge are kind of on opposite sides and no one seem to have that much of a problem with them. As much of a bitch Breezie may seem to be, she actually cares a lot for her robots and she did leave clear path for Metal to grab emerald for some reason.

Anyway, I think Breezie still may be a robot (Ian gave some hints of it in comics and on his twitter). I hope to see some Metal and Breezie interactions, not for shipping reasons but I would like for Metal's character to expand a bit. I mean I get that he suppose to be this cold silent killing machine who wants to destroy Sonic and I like that but give him least just a bit more character, if that's possible.

5 hours ago, Mister X said:

Kind of hoping Breezie turns out to be a robot (AFAIK it was still left up in the air, though unfortunately I doubt that it's the case) that decided to leave Eggman to do her own thing like in the show. Might make for an interesting contrast with Metal Sonic -- "robot goes independent, then becomes a successful media mogul" vs. "robot goes independent, then gets free will removed." 

I wouldn't mind seeing more interactions with Breezie and Metal Sonic. However, there's something else you should know...

We saw her as a young child during a flashback. As Breezie got older over time, she was drinking a bottle of wine with the President. Her chances of being a robot is little to none.

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

We saw her as a young child during a flashback. As Breezie got older over time, she was drinking a bottle of wine with the President. Her chances of being a robot is little to none.

Ohhhhhhh, right right right.

....then again, the young child bit was in a commercial, IIRC. It could be a lie to disguise the fact that she's a robot.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mister X said:

....then again, the young child bit was in a commercial, IIRC. It could be a lie to disguise the fact that she's a robot.

No. I believe the technical term you're looking for would be an "Android", perhaps? After all, Eggman DID create Androids before (Sonic Heroes and ShTH)...

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

No. I believe the technical term you're looking for would be an "Android", perhaps? After all, Eggman DID create Androids before (Sonic Heroes and ShTH)...

Well, sure. But still, we haven't seen any actual proof (again, IIRC) that she's flesh and blood other than an in-universe corporate commercial created to promote a positive image of Breezie.

55 minutes ago, blade57331 said:

Anyway, I think Breezie still may be a robot (Ian gave some hints of it in comics and on his twitter).

Don't you mean, "Android"? Androids are different from robots, y'know.

16 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Don't you mean, "Android"? Androids are different from robots, y'know.

...No they're not? I checked the Merriam-Webster website and the Free Dictionary, and they agreed that an android is simply a robot that resembles a human. Now granted, that's a specific kind of robot, but that hardly means androids and robots are two different things.

1 hour ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

No they're not? I checked the Merriam-Webster website and the Free Dictionary, and they agreed that an android is simply a robot that resembles a human. Now granted, that's a specific kind of robot, but that hardly means androids and robots are two different things.

I'm calling Breezie an Android because she has the physical appearance of a Mobian. She isn't a "pure" robot like Metal Sonic.

That's technically what I meant by Androids being "different" from a regular robot. They're similar, but not the same. Breezie is different from Metal Sonic. I didn't mean to confuse you.

Androind is sub-category of robot, that's all.

Anyway, I would ship Metal with Big the Cat if it meant some development for him. But joking aside, Breezie is interesting choice. I mean, what she even sees in him? Did they knew each other before she became rich? Does Metal shares her feeling? is he even capable of other feelings than "hate" "deep hate" and "passive hate, can't kill my creator"? That sound like one messed up relation that I would love to explore.

Also, I don't care if she's robot or not. Does that change anything. There already were few kid-aimed stories exploring human/machine relation, so no scandal (or pushing new grounds). I can think of more scenarios if she's a robot, but that's not required either. I'm okay with Breezie just being a robot fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But joking aside, Breezie is interesting choice. I mean, what she even sees in him? Did they knew each other before she became rich? Does Metal shares her feeling? is he even capable of other feelings than "hate" "deep hate" and "passive hate, can't kill my creator"? That sound like one messed up relation that I would love to explore.

If Sonic Heroes and Free Riders is anything to go by, Metal is capable of turning against his master. Although, I doubt that Metal shares the same feeling as her, because he wasn't created with emotions opposed to Breezie and Shard.

Sonic Heroes is nothing to go by because the whole point is that exactly because he turned on Eggman then, Eggman erased his personality.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Also, I don't care if she's robot or not. Does that change anything. There already were few kid-aimed stories exploring human/machine relation, so no scandal (or pushing new grounds). I can think of more scenarios if she's a robot, but that's not required either. I'm okay with Breezie just being a robot fan.

That's good enough for me. :)

Like I said, I just thought it'd be neat if she was a robot like in the cartoon since she could be an interesting contrast with another Eggman robot who went independent (and has some sort of past with Breezie), but in this case one who was forced back in line rather than given freedom to do what they want. Like, "Wow, poor Metal. I remember when you were doing your own thing, but now that mean ol' Eggman erased your potential for free will. I'll 'save' you somehow." 

New Universe issue's fine. Some rushed conflict, some other interesting conflict between the Egg Bosses.

Don't like this take on eggman, don't like this take on naugus, don't like this take on witchkart and her minions, but just the fact the comic's allowed to do something other than "sonic and team fight an enemy" makes it more readable, and while some personalities here feel microwave-heated-rehashes of previous Ian writing (Carrotia chanelled Rosie here, in a much less interesting take than the character notes Ian wrote for her in the concept art; Fockewulf being the hee-hee-hee-so-creepy-weepy-jeepy-psycho-wacko-taco! guy Ian's written some three times before already, Akhlut and Tundra gave me shades of Thrash and Knuckles), I like the way others play off. Highlight being Battle Kukku and Abyss the Splattoon's "old man and young kid constantly tease each other on their contrasts while working together" take.

• Thumbs Up 3

-After the flashback and tassel boy being brought into the room, we find out what fate awaits an Egg Soldier who displeases Eggman; he locks up their cybernetics so they're aware of their surroundings but can't move, and then locks them away in holding slots (which are dark and don't have much room) for however long he wants (for tassel boy, it seems like he'll be there for decades). The Egg Bosses react. At least you get a good look at Stormy without the hat.

-Maw asks about the risk of Dark Gaia monsters and whether they could use the energy themselves. Eggman refutes this, saying that the spire is drawing it in.

-Eggman then reveals the plan; he's pairing up two Egg Bosses in a team to take on a certain part of the plan, with the hopes that the combined efforts will stomp the Naugus Twins into oblivion.

-Team One is Tundra and Akhlut, and they're tasked with temporarily turning off the spire to cut off the Twins. Like the pre-reboot, Walruses and Orcas don't get along, and the two have a vendetta against each other. Akhlut loves to mock Tundra about his failure to conquer his tribe, even bringing up some pretty graphic (implied) imagery about the battles they fought. I wonder if Akhlut is the reason Tundra has those scars.

-Team Two is Clove and Thunderbolt (because they're both quick), and they have to switch off the defence systems. The entire scene is Clove having to put up with Thunderbolt being so obsessed with Eggman that she desperately tries to struggle through a small doorway with the mech she had back in Control/Ambush.

-Team Three is Nephthys and Maw. We knew that Maw was the newest recruit from last issue, but them being put together because they're the newest means that Nephthys is the second-newest Egg Boss. They have to shut down the Badnik command signal (because the Twins have control of the Badnik Hoarde there). Maw has quite the twisted world view, considering Eggman to be saving the world, and he admires his willingness to be bold and radical in decisions. This plays off Nephthys. who does have a mindset of making hard decisions for the greater good, but can clearly see him for the conqueror he is.

-Then we suddenly turn into a Chaotix arc which is not what I was expecting at a...Oh, that's not right. Team Four is Conquering Storm and Mordred, teamed because they're the best infiltrators (...Mordred? Best infiltrator? Really?) and are tasked with taking out the Witchkarters. They're actually in the funfair part of Eggmanland where Mordred's tail is roasted by a teacup. Their contrast is in how they view leadership and its acquisition. Conquering Storm considers Mordred getting the throne after basically giving the place to Eggman "safe and honourless" (she got it through gathering strong troops and taking the area and command), while Mordred refutes that he didn't have much of a choice when there hasn't been a sylvanian king for a century (he wouldn't want to give it to the Acorns or the D'Coolettes, the latter of which he considers a lesser family), and doesn't seem to think much of Stormy's approach. Also this would imply Mordred is a king, wouldn't it? Most understated egotistical king ever.

-Team Five is the Battle Kukku (who Eggman just calls Kukku) and Abyss because they have beaks (really). amd they have to take out the backup generator. The Battle Kukku has pride in his Armada and its assets, while Abyss just likes the cool stuff she gets from Eggman and stealing. She mocks him because of his age, he thinks of her as no better than the Babylon Rogues.

-Team Six is Axel and Eggman because...he had an odd number of minions. Eggman has his secret weapon readied that can only run for five minutes (and only once). They ride off.

-After this, we see each team come across a conflict. During their bickering, Akhlut insults Tundra's inability to keep his son in line or save his wife, and this spurs Tundra to attack him. Akhlut is more than happy to fight back.

-Thunderbolt grows suspicious of Clove being disloyal to Eggman after he's given them so much. She tells her to explain before she attacks, but is interrupted by trap bumpers suddenly closing the walls in. Considering that Thunderbolt called Cassia a brat in her tirade, Clove gets ready to attack her while she's pinned. Thunderbolt looks suitably anxious.

-Nephthys approaches the command tower when Maw spots a Badnik attack. He gets shot in the back while she dodges the shots and helps him. They end up surrounded by Buzzbombers and Egg Fighters.

-We see the Witchcarters on the ferris wheel (Falke Wolf and Bearenger seem bored since one is asleep and the other is grumbling, but Carrotia is rocking the carriage and clearly enjoying herself. That's cute). Stormy is insulted by them having their guard down, while Mordred suggests that they hold back while let Team One do their thing, then sneak up and take them out after (he says that he'll weaken them with his vertigo-inducers. Has his power been nerfed, given that he had the power of hypnosis before the reboot?). Stormy is having none of that, and charges. This alerts the Witchcarters and they get into action.

-Dark Gaia Monsters attack the Battle Kukku and Abyss, the latter clearly being unnerved by them after Eggman said there wouldn't be any. The Battle Kukku insults her fighting and stealing, which clearly annoys her (to the point she says she was a terror of the deep before Eggman entered the picture). Also, it appears she's supposed to be short, but it's hard to tell against the Battle Kukku.

-Eggman (minus Axel for some reason) is attacked by a Dark Gaia Collosus while he has the drill car from Sonic 2. He lets out a big no as the car falls through a hole the club's impact made.

-There's concept art and personality descriptions of each of the Witchcarters in the Editor letter, both from Vincent Lovallo and Ian Flynn.

Yep, it's a sudden spoiler bomb. Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

(Carrotia chanelled Rosie here, in a much less interesting take than the character notes Ian wrote for her in the concept art;

Don't have the issue yet, but I'm curious: what does it say in the notes?

1 minute ago, Mister X said:

Don't have the issue yet, but I'm curious: what does it say in the notes?

3co8B51.png

implies her more as a ditzy distracted girl, the way she was written in the issue instead felt more like Ian-brand psychotic, with the rhyming and all.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, The KKM said:

3co8B51.png

implies her more as a ditzy distracted girl, the way she was written in the issue instead felt more like Ian-brand psychotic, with the rhyming and all.

Ah, I see. Seems a bit redundant to write her as a psychotic in the issue itself, then, since Falke is apparently supposed to be the unstable one. Plus Falke already feels like another Flying Frog-type.

Looking at those notes, it's weird that Ian went for all airboards instead of using their vehicles from the games. I mean, Fang gets to keep his bike, so...

• Thumbs Up 1