Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Its a little disappointing that the resolve for the problem and covers from the final for Unite almost mimic Collide. If it wasn't the flagship heroes tho I guess it would be a bit weird.

I wonder if they will all remember the events this time round, it wouldn't really harm Sonic and crew much, but Megaman would be learning of the future for his world before it happened if he got to keep his memories.

As for Universe...meh..Silver has always been one of if not my least likes character in the Sonic verse, finding out more about these Genesis Portals will be interesting tho. I'm sure his fans will be happy to see him get an arc again tho so its a positive for some people which is good.

I respect Evan, and she's put a ton of effort into doing Ghosts of the Future, but I'm not a fan of her writing. She's a good artist, I'll certainly give her that, but just because she's been doing a webcomic for a long time doesn't make her a good writer.

Look, I know a guy on Fanfiction.net that's been writing stories for over 10 years, and over the course of that he's written 1000 stories. Except if you look at any of them, they're absolutely horrid, and no point does any of them get the slightest bit enjoyable.

I'm not saying that Evan is a bad writer, I think at worst she's inoffensive, but there's a ton of things about Ghost of the Future that I really dislike.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude do you seriously think shes just doing this by her lonesome at her home desk? Ian, Tracey, and the Mr. whatshisnameneweditorguy will be overseeing for corrections/suggestions/imput, just like with all guest writers.

Okay. And?

And?

What makes you think this will be anything like Ghost of the Future to be so apprehensive about it? Her writing there isn't going to be the same as the writing in the comics, mainly because of the people she'll be working under overseeing everything and because of the premise in the comics is leagues different from GotF. She had total freedom with GotF, but will have restrictions on an actual licensed work and inputs from other writers.

So what's the problem exactly? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Christ, all I said was that I wasn't sure how I felt. I didn't say that she was going to be terrible, and it will rain the dismembered heads of puppies and kittens.

Christ, all I said was that I wasn't sure how I felt. I didn't say that she was going to be terrible, and it will rain the dismembered heads of puppies and kittens.

And I never said you did. 

I was asking what was it about her writing you're so apprehensive about when the comics won't be the same as GotF, not an overexaggerating strawman about her being terrible and raining heads of puppies and kittens.

And I never said you did. 

I was asking what was it about her writing you're so apprehensive about when the comics won't be the same as GotF, not an overexaggerating strawman about her being terrible and raining heads of puppies and kittens.

That's actually part of the problem. I DON'T know how her writing will be outside of GotF, because that's the only thing she pretty much did (besides Tails Away I think for like 9 or so pages?).

I assume a lot of people here don't either.

Though I would expect its premise not to be as outlandish as GotF if she managed to get onboard for the main comics if the solicits are any indicator. Though given we hardly know much about Silver's future, that's just a random guess.

It wasn't just the outlandish premise. It's stuff like the hedgehog favoritism, the confusing storyline, and the lack of focus. GotF kept veering off in random directions and a whole bunch of it didn't even make sense to me. And yeah, the whole idea of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver being a trio makes me puke in my mouth a little, and I can honestly do without Scourge.

I know I'm whining here, and it doesn't really give an indication of how she will do for the Silver arc, because frankly it's really technically her second actual serious gig. But I'm going in apprehensive none-the-less.

WOAH WHAT'S HAPPENING:

• Silver Arc
  • Epic Boom cover
  • Diana Skelly pencilling Boom issue 11
  • Worlds Unite Finale
  • Kyle the Gorilla?

And Evan's scripting the Silver arc! that sounds cool to me! Let's see how it goes!

Got Sonic Select 1 today. I kind of want to go off the new covers a little while to talk about something that's been making the rounds a bit.

Okay, so there's been this thing where apparently Sonic and Sally were doing some mock fighting, but it was rumoured that the panel was changed from Sally in the process of beating Sonic to Sonic about to kick Sally because SEGA were so bad that they couldn't stand to see Sonic lose to a girl oh noes.

Well, actually taking the story context into consideration...I think it was changed to better suit the narrative, not because of SEGA. The point of the fight is to show that Sally has a lot of heavy topics on her mind, which leads into Rosie segwaying into taking Sally to the stuff Julayla left for her (this is "The Quest" aka the story where Sally got her jacket and NICOLE and we saw future Mobius for the first time). It would fit that she would be distracted from the fight. Whatever unfortunate implications linger from the change, I don't think there was malicious intent.

That all said, it wasn't as if the story was totally free from things that make me raise an eyebrow;

7ErfUyN.png

Those legs do not look right.

Got Sonic Select 1 today. I kind of want to go off the new covers a little while to talk about something that's been making the rounds a bit.

Okay, so there's been this thing where apparently Sonic and Sally were doing some mock fighting, but it was rumoured that the panel was changed from Sally in the process of beating Sonic to Sonic about to kick Sally because SEGA were so bad that they couldn't stand to see Sonic lose to a girl oh noes.

Well, actually taking the story context into consideration...I think it was changed to better suit the narrative, not because of SEGA. The point of the fight is to show that Sally has a lot of heavy topics on her mind, which leads into Rosie segwaying into taking Sally to the stuff Julayla left for her (this is "The Quest" aka the story where Sally got her jacket and NICOLE and we saw future Mobius for the first time). It would fit that she would be distracted from the fight. Whatever unfortunate implications linger from the change, I don't think there was malicious intent.

That all said, it wasn't as if the story was totally free from things that make me raise an eyebrow;

7ErfUyN.png

Those legs do not look right.

I'm not the only one who's feeling disturbed about that pic right?

right?

Looks like she has two right feet...

It wasn't just the outlandish premise. It's stuff like the hedgehog favoritism, the confusing storyline, and the lack of focus. GotF kept veering off in random directions and a whole bunch of it didn't even make sense to me. And yeah, the whole idea of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver being a trio makes me puke in my mouth a little, and I can honestly do without Scourge.

Okay, but here's the thing that'll set her writing there apart for Archie Sonic: absolutely none of that is going fly here, so your apprehension makes even less sense.

Let's look at all your cautions in detail:

• Hedgehog favoritism? Just about every other major non-hedgehog here has had major moments, such as Nicole, Tails, Blaze, and Knuckles. This comic has avoided that for the most part, even before the reboot where plenty of non-hedgehogs had prophetic roles - tho further back you'd be going into echidna favoritism, which if anything has already been the comic's learning lesson in why they shouldn't be playing favorites with certain species because it could risk making a mess of things. So they're definitely not going to have that here with the hedgehogs.
  • Confusing storyline and lack of focus? This comic has had a concrete direction for long time, and has done a lot to avoid being convoluted since Ian took over and cleaned up a lot of convolution it already had. Not that there hasn't been any messes during his time, but especially in the midst of the reboot that allowed things to start fresh, things aren't going to so confusing here with explanations and flashbacks or reference footnotes for people to understand past events and whats going on. Arcs have been established to be written in four-issues, no more or less, so every arc has to have a beginning or end - well, technically a cliffhanger since this is an ongoing comic, but the point is that every arc has a resolution to it, ending that current story so it can moves on to a new plot somewhere down the line.

Before you get apprehensive about something, take everything your cautious about put it in perspective with what can and cannot be realistically done or expected under the watch of her co-writers. I'm not saying that to mock you, but to get you to understand things. Because everything you just said about her I can tell is an instant no-go for her on an actual licensed work that she doesn't have all that much control over. And really, the main thing that sets Evan's work on GotF apart from here is the fact that she had total freedom to do all the stuff you said was a problem in her fanfiction - if she doesn't have that freedom here, then how is what your so cautious about even justified?

Can't he be apprehensive not due to those details in specific, but due to the fact of them existing implying a writing style from Evan he doesn't enjoy? Can't people react to this comic with apprehension?

Can't he be apprehensive not due to those details in specific, but due to the fact of them existing implying a writing style from Evan he doesn't enjoy? Can't people react to this comic with apprehension?

Can he take his cautions an put them in perspective of what can and can't actually be done?

Can we please also not strawman people for the millionth time and actually read what people are saying? Because absolutely no one said, or even implied, that nobody couldn't be apprehensive. And you know it.

Ok, no-one explicitly said he can't be aprehensive. You've just spent two pages going "why would you even" at someone saying "man I don't know about this".

I mean, "the previous writing of this writer is all I have to know how they write, and I didn't like it, so I'm wary" is taken as a bizarre enough position to warrant a bunch of posts going "why you silly person, don't you see you should disregard it". It's not even if he's right in his wariness or not, but does any kind of "I'm not sure about this thing Archie is doing" post really need this amount of "no you should not be unsure and here's why" posts in response?

I don't think CSS is attacking him, or anything, though? It's a natural conversation? I mean, if you post something on a public forum, people might reply to it. shadowhunt expressed wariness, CSS asked why, shadowhunt provided explanation, and CSS pointed out why those specific worries might not even apply in this case.

You know what, to make sure that the conversation *is* one, just to be safe: shadowhunt, what about Evan's writing style do you like or not like (not counting her plot choices, which would be things like the hedgehog focus or plot holes, etc). As in, do you dislike the way she writes action, or the way she writes character dialogue or voices? 

Lack of focus is a legit worry, I'm not debunking that. But I do also agree with CSS that working on the official book, under a team of other writers and an editor (whose job it is to make sure things stay focused, coherent, etc--recall that a lot of the issues with Penders' work before is because the editor at the time just let him do whatever with no real leash on him) is likely going to take care of that.

I'm excited, but I don't think anyone needs to be, and I understand why shadowhunt might be wary, even if some of the causes of that wary might not be applicable in this situation. I like the way Evan writes (aside from mentioned flaws) so far, so I'm optimistic that it'll be an enjoyable arc. If nothing else, having some more people on the team keeps the book's style from stagnating.

• Thumbs Up 2

well here's something to change up topics a bit I finally got issue 272 today in the mail and look at what happened

CFeGifyVEAAzqAz.jpg

lol guess archie's still got shipping issues going on lol

oh well at least I got a free issue  ^-^

...I think

well here's something to change up topics a bit I finally got issue 272 today in the mail and look at what happened

CFeGifyVEAAzqAz.jpg

lol guess archie's still got shipping issues going on lol

oh well at least I got a free issue  ^-^

...I think

That happened to me last month. At first I thought #271 was a double-sized issue!

• Thumbs Up 1

As to why Mega Man X didn't go super...he tried, he really did.

Of course, it doesn't count transformations done with other power sources (aka Burning Blaze and Overclocked Nicole...which seems atypical in how much more dangerous it may be to her).

Here's some SSB Fanart and Variant Covers Colors:

smashing_by_herms85-d8sr2ki.jpg

sonic_universe_78_variant_by_herms85-d8u

Sonic's pose looks familiar….

sonic_the_hedgehog_275_cover_by_herms85-

As to why Mega Man X didn't go super...he tried, he really did.

Of course, it doesn't count transformations done with other power sources (aka Burning Blaze and Overclocked Nicole...which seems atypical in how much more dangerous it may be to her).

awww that would of been cool but then again it would be unfair having 2 capcom characters to go super and sonic being the only sega character to have a super form unless you want to see a super sticks

awww that would of been cool but then again it would be unfair having 2 capcom characters to go super and sonic being the only sega character to have a super form unless you want to see a super sticks

Sure, why not? It would help hammer in the fact that Sonic Boom's getting the short end of the stick (heh), what with its one representative.