Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

No one's saying he shouldn't, but we really don't see any connection to the writing style of GotF as something to be cautious about towards a work where none of that would fly here. If there was more to judge than a fancomic, that would be one thing. But that comparison falls flat otherwise.

Because it's the only thing he has for comparison and we don't exactly know what boundaries Evan has in place. If it were someone transitioning from writing for an adult show to writing for a kid show.then that'd be understandable because we know that they can't do all the stuff they did on the adult show. There can still be overfocus on a certain few characters, there can still potentially be mischaracterisation (a slight issue I had with Champions, which was written by a well proven writer), the only thing that is absolutely off the cards is Scourge

• Thumbs Up 2

Because it's the only thing he has for comparison and we don't exactly know what boundaries Evan has in place. If it were someone transitioning from writing for an adult show to writing for a kid show.then that'd be understandable because we know that they can't do all the stuff they did on the adult show. There can still be overfocus on a certain few characters, there can still potentially be mischaracterisation (a slight issue I had with Champions, which was written by a well proven writer), the only thing that is absolutely off the cards is Scourge

That's kind of our point tho.

This is someone transitioning from fan work to official work, and we know they can't do all the stuff they did on their fanfiction. Everything else we don't know keeping Evan from doing things like mischaracterizing characters is something yet to be judged when we see it.

To what extent can't they though? We don't know yet, and we don't yet have the future established enough to say what the guidelines are (considering the last future-focused arc did a lot of things I didn't think it would be allowed to).

I don't see why we can't just let them wait until the arc and see Evan's work under restrictions for themselves. If it's good and more in line with their preferences, that should dispel the doubts on its own.

To what extent can't they though? We don't know yet, and we don't yet have the future established enough to say what the guidelines are (considering the last future-focused arc did a lot of things I didn't think it would be allowed to).

I don't see why we can't just let them wait until the arc and see Evan's work under restrictions for themselves. If it's good and more in line with their preferences, that should dispel the doubts on its own.

From what Shadowhunt60 was concerned about in GotF, not very much considering the guidelines we do know and the work of their co-workers and the people overseeing the work who would avoid a lot of the problems with GotF.

We can let them wait until the arc to see for themselves, but the point we're making is that not everything that went on in a fan work is going to fly here. Especially one that Evan doesn't have absolute freedom over.

I really hope Flynn can make the Deadly Six enjoyable.

I mean, he's already redeemed Big, Silver, and Marine, but these guys are another entire level of "flat."

I have faith in Flynn. He can do this. I mean, sure, the guy isn't perfect, I still don't like the idea of Sonic spending his free time on what is basically a flying warship fighting simulations of past enemies like a freaking super soldier*, but Ian gave me enough good stuff to keep a positive approach to this event.

And Pickle being a senile old man quoting stuff he said in the game in a completely different context, and whatever they did to the scientist from AOSTH (I know his name, I just don't want to misspell it), etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or we could actually wait until the first issue of the arc comes and judge it on it's own merits instead of trying to compare it to a fan comic with absolutely no Sega mandates, rules or anything to follow. Several of the things in GotF will not fly here because Sega themselves have placed rules on it. Trying to compare a fan comic that can do anything it wants against an actual piece of work which will have multiple people working on it with strict rules placed down isn't going to work too well.

So... uh... is it me or is Zavok's mouth off?

CFelGcRWYAAi3ww.png

Like, from the way it's drawn, it looks like he's got a mouth with white teeth behind a spiky red collar, and not like a jagged upper jaw like it's supposed to be.

That happened to me last month. At first I thought #271 was a double-sized issue!

• Thumbs Up 1

So... uh... is it me or is Zavok's mouth off?

[snip]

Like, from the way it's drawn, it looks like he's got a mouth with white teeth behind a spiky red collar, and not like a jagged upper jaw like it's supposed to be.

Then why does it look like he has white teeth and a lower jaw behind his spiky red bit when in Lost World that's not the case? I always assumed his spiky red bit was his lower jaw, but it just sticks to the rest of his body.

Actually, I remember Guts Man often gets that same problem in the Mega Man book, and it looks awkward as fuck there too.

Then why does it look like he has white teeth and a lower jaw behind his spiky red bit when in Lost World that's not the case? I always assumed his spiky red bit was his lower jaw, but it just sticks to the rest of his body.

Actually, I remember Guts Man often gets that same problem in the Mega Man book, and it looks awkward as fuck there too.

I don't think Thrash is in any sort of danger, since he's 100% Flynn's creation and concept. It's just that he needs more time to cool off from his echidna genocide.

I'm sure he'll be back someday with a new motivation.

Yeah, I think he would require some retooling due to differences in the timeline, which I think is perfectly acceptable. That said, I suppose if he doesn't make it back for whatever reason, I'm not going to mind either. The book certainly isn't hurting for characters right now.

I think it'd be cool of he was made into the Egg Boss of whatever this continuities version of Australia is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd say you could keep Thrash's history in tact actually. Just make it that Knuckles' ancestors were the ones who experimented on Thrash's kind before Knuckles' ancestors died. Then have a grown up Thrash - The last survivor of his kind join up with the Egg Army so one day he'll be able to fight and beat Knuckles, and get his revenge on the last known echidna for making his species extinct, and try to get justice for the ones experimented on by the Knuckles clan.

I'd say you could keep Thrash's history in tact actually. Just make it that Knuckles' ancestors were the ones who experimented on Thrash's kind before Knuckles' ancestors died. Then have a grown up Thrash - The last survivor of his kind join up with the Egg Army so one day he'll be able to fight and beat Knuckles, and get his revenge on the last known echidna for making his species extinct, and try to get justice for the ones experimented on by the Knuckles clan.

Bare in mind, since the techno advance garbage that Penders created is gone, plus the Nocturnus clan can't be touched, the only actual ancestors of Knuckles are the ones we've seen in the games, the ancient Mayan/aztec Indians Echidna's.

I don't know what crazy excuse they could think of for experimenting on Tasmania Devils other than some kind of Witch doctor magic, I ain't expecting any science mumbo jumbo out of this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

his point of interest is that he was a hero overall, but with one extremist villainous point. Don't quite know how to translate that to the new world yet- I think keeping him under wraps for now until more of the world is established is smart.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got 272.  Sad I keep getting the next issue at the end of the month after discussion has been going on for a week or two.  Well, I got it in my hands now and that is what counts.

Anyway.

I'm glad they're knocking out both Unleashed and Lost World together in this arc.  The dynamic between Bunnie and Antoine was pretty cool to see and Sonic imitating Antoine was pretty funny.  Overall good read and I can't wait for more.  Also, Cream needs more missions.

• Thumbs Up 1

With regards to copyright issues, look on the bright side.

Sonic's not the only one hit with them since  the Wonderswan Mega Man characters are off limits for the same reason.